Fanfic - Max/Liz
"A Present Unseen"
Part 13
by Meagzie
Disclaimer: I own nothing and am nothing but a lowly servant of my computer and endless hours of fanfic. (Ok, maybe not.) Ooo, but I do own Adam. Mine. Mine mine mine.
Summary: It's about two years after A Past Forgotten. Graduation is just around the corner, but so is trouble.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: R
Author's Note: Ok, I know I say this a lot and I talk too much as it is, but FEEDBACK. I need it... it keeps my blood pumping and my fingers typing. Please? Love you guys!
“So remind me why we’re sitting, and potentially being watched by evil aliens,” Isabel spat out. Khivar wants to kill them, so, to Isabel, it seemed supremely stupid that they were just sitting in a booth at the Crashdown. She exhaled and propped her head up with her arm that was currently resting on the table. She watched Maria fiddle with her fingers across the table, then crossing and uncrossing her legs, and then rolling and twisting her hair between her fingers. A person could go mad just watching her erratic and unsettled movements.

“Maria, if you don’t calm down, I swear I’ll zap all that hair off your head,” Isabel’s irritated voice cackled. Maria jerked her head up and abruptly stopped her motions. An apology peeped out of her lips

On the other side of the restaurant, Alex and Adam were hunched over the counter, conversing in hushed whispers.

“So, you walked out of the Crashdown after the little kitchen blowout and then what?” Alex asked intently. Adam never really got to explain the whole story and Alex thought they should go over what happened just in case there was a clue they were missing. That and he just wanted to know what happened exactly.

“Well, I started walking back to the apartment when I felt these eyes staring at

me. Piercing my back and all that freaky stuff. So I turned around to check it out. Of course, I was very slick about it.” The side of Adam’s mouth curved slightly upwards in a grin. “Didn’t want to alert anyone if they were there. I didn’t see anyone but I heard footsteps.” Alex nodded his head, but didn’t express any sort of emotion on his face. Adam couldn’t tell what Alex was thinking about this.

“So no person, but you could hear footsteps and you could feel that creepy feeling that makes you want to scratch the back of your neck?” Adam nodded.

“Alex, I know it sounds insane but they’re here. It’s like I can feel it. I can feel this threatening force that’s ready to attack. And for some reason I don’t think, no, I know I shouldn’t take this feeling lightly. Like I have to believe it. Or else.” Alex stroked the imaginary beard on his chin, as if in thought.

“I don’t think you’re insane. Actually I think we can all feel it. I mean, we never questioned what you were saying, we just all knew it was time. It’s kind of weird, you know? I’ve lived most of my life with reason and now it’s like I have to depend on this new way of perception.” He gave Adam a crooked smile. “Maybe I’m not cut out to be an alien.” Adam grinned at Alex. The boy could lighten up any mood.

“On the same note, we’ve all been worried about Liz. We’ve got to protect her at all costs. No, I mean, I’ve got to protect her at costs. I mean it IS my job, right? Anyways, you guys have to worry about yourselves too. We all have to be safe. Khivar wants us all dead, except Liz. And what he plans to do to her is way worse than death. But if we’re dead, then Liz is helpless. And I don’t think I could handle that. Liz deserves a great life with great-”

“Adam. I get the point. Me safe. You safe. Equals Liz safe.” Adam shot Alex another grin.

“Annnnd since we’re on the topic anyways,” Alex started, “You need to keep yourself safe from not just Khivar. Comprende?” Adam looked at Alex strangely. What the hell is he talking about?

Alex rolled his eyes. “King Max? Queen Liz? Starting troubles around here and putting tension in the group is going to get us all dead, so can the petty rival for Liz’s affection wait until after Khivar is gone?” Adam opened his mouth to say something but automatically shut it. Alex had a point.

“Obvious, huh?” Adam asked, avoiding eye contact with Alex. This thing was kind of embarrassing.

“If I said no, would you believe me?” Alex joked. Adam playfully punched Alex’s arm, attempting to wipe the smirk off his face.

Adam’s jovial smile quickly disappeared when he saw a distraught Liz walk through the employee doors, followed by Max and Michael.

Liz trudged over to Alex and surrendered herself to the stool next to him. She collapsed over the counter, her body hitting the counter with a loud thud. Alex’s arms automatically went around Liz in comfort and support.

“Didn’t go so well?” Alex asked, softly. Liz’s head jerked up and the resisting tears in her eyes made Alex’ heart swell. He hated to see his best friend like this.

“Oh no, it went well. So well that my parents are leaving tomorrow. They’re packing oh-so excitedly that it makes me sick.” Her sarcastic tone didn’t escape anyone. Liz, once again, purposely smashed her head against the counter with loud sound effects.

“Lizzie,” Maria spoke gently, her previous nervous fit now over. She walked over to her two best friends, she, too, wrapping her arms around Liz.

“This isn’t your fault. It’s gross and unfair, and I know you feel guilty, but we’ll get through this, I promise. You’re doing the right thing.” She placed a friendly kiss on the top of her head.

“Then why do I feel so awful? I mean, for God’s sake, I just mind warped my parents into thinking they want to go on a vacation. I just violated their right to think freely, their right to make decisions for themselves, their right to TRUST their own daughter.” Liz rolled her head side to side on the counter, mumbling curses. “This sucks.”

Max looked brokenheartedly at Liz, understanding the pain she felt caused by lying to people you loved. When she had come back down from the apartment, Max saw the absolute devastated expression on her face. He wanted to just take her in his warm arms, and cradle her body to his for the rest of his life. He wanted to kiss her everywhere and wipe that upsetting look from her much too precious face. He wanted to coo tender, reassuring words into her ears, and feel her delicate mouth breathing steadily against his skin.

But Liz had walked right past him and Michael, and right into the Crashdown. They had taken the hint and quietly followed her inside. But it still didn’t stop Max from wanting to grab his precious angel and drive far, far away from here. To somewhere he could keep her safe and in his arms always.

“Liz,” Max murmured softly. “We love you, and we’re here for you, ok? We just want you to be safe.” He took a step towards her before Liz jumped out of her seat, and out of the embrace of her friends.

“Well, maybe I don’t WANT to be safe. Maybe I’d rather die than be here, putting people through crap they shouldn’t have to.” Liz closed her eyes in frustration, as her hands clenched and unclenched in fists. The silence in the room was deafening, and almost violent. Liz instantly regretted for snapping at Max.

“I-I’m sorry,” Liz said quietly. “I just need to be alone.” She ran out of the restaurant and up to her apartment as six pairs of eyes followed her. Each sat in the awkward quiet, unsure of what to say.

“Someone should, uh… stay with her tonight…” Adam remarked. Max’s eyes turned red with fury.

“You’re not staying with Liz.” Max’s bold statement etched conviction into everyone’s mind, except Adam. Adam stood up fully, squaring his shoulder.

“Well, obviously neither are you, considering she ran off after you opened your mouth and-” The crimson rage that flashed through Max’s eyes nearly burned each person in the room.

“STOP.” They all turned to look at Michael, who clearly had enough of the bickering between the two men. He would fry their asses before they treated his Lizzie bear like a piece of meat.

“Like hell you guys are going to stay with her. You both are acting like assholes, so get the hell out of here before I kick both of your asses. I will be staying here, end of discussion.” He not only saw, but felt the two pairs of eyes stare at him in objection.

Maria was about to boil over, but Isabel and Alex were the only ones who actually noticed. Alex knew better than to laugh at the ironic event. Three protective alien defenders of their precious Queen, and Hurricane Deluca about to throw more than just a fit at the boys, but probably throw some chairs at them too. But the funniest part was Isabel. She still sat at the table, with a bored look on her face. What he wouldn’t do to have a camera right at that moment.

“I’m going to say this once, and only once, so you jackasses better listen to me,” Maria growled. Alex bit his lip in fear he would let a thunderous laugh rip free. Maria Deluca was pissed off enough to actually growl at the boys.

“If any three of you come even CLOSE to the block in which this lovely establishment is built on tonight, I swear you’ll have more to deal with than just Khivar. I will rip you boys from limb to limb, starting with the most prominent part. Got the point?” Maria’s hands rested on her hips, the look on her face almost too smoldering to look at.

Although against every thought they had running through their minds, the three men nod their heads. They knew better than to piss off Maria even more.

“Alex, we’re going to have a sleepover at Liz’s. Let’s go.” She left quickly out the employee door, and Alex obediently followed her. The four remaining teens all sighed in chorus and got up to leave.

Part 12 | Index | Part 14
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.