FanFic - Max/Liz
"A New Breed"
Part 37
by Susan
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I want to thank everyone who has given me such wonderful feedback on this story. I know it was long and I may consider doing a sequel to the story at a later date. But, I would just like to make one quick statement. I believe I have written a story that not only included much sci-fi, but didn't take away from the romance end of the story that we have all grown to love. Now I don't consider myself a writer, writer by any means. But, if I can do it. Why can't the writers of the show do it and make our show great in both aspects that we the fans truly want. I am just a fan, but I know what hooked me on the show was the star crossed romance to begin with. Thanks again for reading and hopefully enjoying my tale of romance and sci-fi.
Isabelle was successful in dreamwalking Max in the middle of the morning finally. He had told her about their parents and how their adopted father was still in a coma type sleep. It was then he asked her to try and dreamwalk him again to see if she could help now that his body was physically healed, she could heal his mind mentally. She agreed and also pleaded for Max to reconsider them coming back to Roswell to help. To her sheer happiness Max gave his consent.

The next morning Max and Liz awoke to laughter. They immediately dressed and went to explore what was up. What they saw made them both extremely proud and happy. All four parents were in the kitchen having coffee and discussing the first time they had gotten together for coffee. It was the morning that Max and Liz had first stayed out all night and had discovered the orb. "Dad?" Max questioned wondering if he was truly okay.

"Good morning son. Thanks to both my children I seem to be as good as new this fine morning." Philip stated happily. "So I take it you both had a good nights rest?"

Both Max and Liz nodded, then Max took a very serious tone. "I can't tell all of you how sorry I am. I should have..." Even though he had actually been the one to save their lives, he knew it was because of him that their lives were endanger to begin with.

Jeff Parker was the one that interrupted Max. "Your sorry for what exactly Max. Saving our lives or protecting my daughter." He then took a hold of Liz's hand and noticed the ring on her finger. "Or should I say for being the love of my daughter's life. So I take it the wedding will be soon. No grandchild of mine is going to be born out of wedlock."

Max blushed at this statement, but Liz loved him all the more and felt she needed to protect him for once. "Dad, I can't believe you just said that." Then she hugged her father lovingly. "Thank you, the ring is beautiful." She whispered in his ear.

"It's what mom would have wanted." He answered her honestly.

"So, have you two decided on a date yet?" Liz's mother inquired. All four parents had come to terms with their children's relationship and Max's heritage in the past few weeks. They all knew their kids were still young, but they were determined to stand by them at all cost.

It was Max that tried to make them understand what they still needed to face before they could consider having the happily ever after type life. Even though that was exactly what he wanted more than anything. "We still have to deal with our enemies before Liz and I can truly be happy."

"Enemies, schmenemies! We have a wedding to plan. All of our lives might not be what other people would consider normal, but this is our lives here. I won't allow my children's happiness be put on the back burner because of a few set backs." Diane Evans stated and then pulled out her date book. "Now let's talk dates."

Max and Liz were in total shock. Their parents not only were accepting them as a couple, but were accepting everything that had happened to them and what Max truly was with a grain of salt. Neither knew what to say at this point. Liz looked at Max as if to ask if he was okay with this. He saw her look and could only smile. This was more than he had every dreamed. "I'm free whenever you are."

It was then that Isabelle, Michael, Alex and Maria came rushing into the Evan's home. "Mom, Dad! Are you okay?" Isabelle cried as she ran into the kitchen.

"Izzy, I'm so glad your home." Her mother stated as she got up and quickly hugged her daughter. "We're fine, thanks to you, your brother and Liz. I'm glad you all are here. We were just discussing when the wedding date should be."

Isabelle pulled away from her mother and looked at her brother with a questioning look. She started to wonder if these were really her parents. They were too good to be true. Michael also couldn't believe what he had just heard. "I think there other things we need to be more concerned about than a wedding." He stated firmly.

Max and Liz both started to laugh at Michael's statement and knew what was coming. Once again Mrs. Evans stated her previous statement shocking all of the other teens just as she had previously shocked Max and Liz. "I'll tell you guys what, why don't you men go plan your next war thing and leave the wedding plans to us women." Nancy Parker spoke up.

"Works for me, what about you space boy? Think you can handle that." Maria joked as she jabbed Michael playfully in the ribs. Michael laughed and wondered how it was possible for all of them to have kept their normal life the way they had with everything that had happened.

The men all adjourned to the study leaving the women to discuss the wedding plans. Once inside the study Max revealed what had happened in Bingham. He also confirmed that the six that had escaped Bingham were the six that had been the ones who had come to the Crashdown after the parents. Max deduced that maybe there weren't as many of the other aliens out there left and maybe it was time they once again went on the offensive instead of the defensive like hiding at the lake house. He already had a plan in mind and began to reveal to the other members in the room what it was. He then inquired about the sheriff and stated it would be a good idea to have him once again a part of the plan. Philip agreed and proceeded to call the sheriff's station. It was he who found out about Kyle's death and that the sheriff had temporarily taken a leave of absence. When his father told them the news Max once again felt the guilt wash through his body.

Liz, Maria, Isabelle and the two mother's were happily planning the wedding when Liz knew something was up. She knew Max needed her. "Max needs me." Was all she stated before she left the kitchen and ran to the study.

Both mother's sat there a little perplexed by Liz's actions. "She does that sometimes. It's their connection or something." Maria tried to explain to the two older women.

Liz ran into the study a little out of breathe, but when she saw Max's face she immediately knew something was up. "What's wrong?" She asked as she went up to Max and wrapped her arms around him. Isabelle and the other women had followed her to the study in time to hear Philip explain what had happened to Kyle.

"Oh no. Jim, that poor man." Nancy said full of sadness knowing how possible it could have been her daughter if she had remained here in Roswell.

"Does anyone know where he is now?" Diane asked.

"No, no one has seen him since he had to identify the body." Philip confirmed.

Maria suddenly felt the need to see her mother. "Michael, could you take me home? I need to see my mom." With that said Isabelle walked over to her father and hugged him. Diane went over to her son, while both the Parkers took Liz into their arms. Suddenly realizing how serious their situation was. It wasn't just talk anymore. This was life and death and it is as real as it gets. Michael nodded and offered Alex a ride also. Alex nodded knowing what his part in the plan was, deciding there was no time like the present. So the three of them left.

Michael dropped Alex off, wishing him luck. Reminding him to be careful and then drove to the DeLuca's residence. When Maria requested him to come in with her, even though he felt awkward as hell. How could he deny her anything? "Mom! Mom, I'm home." Maria screamed once they got inside.

"Maria! Oh my God, my baby girl. She's home." Amy DeLuca ran to her daughter and held her tightly in her arms. Then she pulled back slightly. "Don't you ever do that to me again young lady. Do you have any idea how worried I've been about you?" Then she pulled her daughter back into another fierce hug. It wasn't until now that she even noticed Michael. "It was you wasn't it? You were the reason my baby girl had to leave." She pulled away from Maria and started yelling at Michael. "If you think I'm going to let you hurt my baby girl again buster, you have no idea how hard I can hit."

Michael almost wanted to laugh. He now understood where Maria's spunkiness came from. But, before he or Maria could say two words in their defense. Someone else came to their rescue from the wrath of Amy DeLuca. "Amy, calm down. These kids have been through more then you will ever know." Sheriff Valenti stated in a calm, but ever so sad voice.

Michael walked straight up to the man that had saved their asses many times already. "Sheriff, we heard about Kyle. I don't know if a simple apology is enough. We should have taken both him and Tess with us when we left. They needed our protection and we weren't there for them."

A single tear ran down the older gentleman's cheek at the mention of his only son's name. "I don't hold any of you responsible for my son's death. None of us could have known they would have come after him." With that said the sheriff turned his back to the other three. He wasn't ready to face what had happened to his son, yet he wanted to reassure them he didn't blame them either.

Amy listened to the conversation that the two men held and knew she was completely in the dark about what was going on. She also knew that whatever it was, her daughter was involved and that was enough for her to demand answers. "Maria, I think it's time we talked. This time you need to tell me what's going on. I have a right to know." She spoke calmly letting Maria know she would be there for her no matter what it was.

Maria looked to Michael for permission. "Michael?" He hesitated for a few moments and then nodded his head. "Mom, you may want to sit down to hear this." Amy DeLuca sat and listened to the story of her daughter's life for the past year in amazement. Michael, Maria and even the sheriff joined in at different points. When they finally finished Amy sat there stunned, shocked and not sure if she had heard correctly. "Mom, are you okay?" Maria finally asked as she watched her mother stare off as in total shock.

"I always knew those government bast..ds were lying all this time." She then looked directly at Michael who she could tell was extremely nervous about her reaction. "So, Michael, welcome to planet Earth." With that all four people began to laugh. Michael couldn't believe it. All his life he presumed all adults were their enemies. None of them would ever understand or accept him, but now as one more of the adults in their life's accepted them completely he felt humble. Amy stood up right in front of Michael and stated. "Alien or human, just so you know. If you do hurt my baby girl, I will kick your butt still."

"I'll take that into consideration the next time she's driving me crazy." He stated.

"She does that to you too, huh. Well, that's my spirited daughter. So where is everyone else?" Maria then told both her mom and the sheriff about how Max and Liz had come back to take care of their parents. And how they were all still at the Evan's house, with the exception of Alex.

"Max, thinks he knows who the guys were that got to the Parkers and Evans. So what do you say sheriff, you ready to get some revenge?" Michael asked not really sure if the sheriff was ready or not to jump back in the fight.

"Let's go kick some alien ass. No pun intended, of course." Jim replied.

"None taken. Max has already came up with a pretty good plan. Do you guys want to go over there?" Michael statement included all of them. He wasn't about to leave Maria alone and now that her mother knew, he had no intention of letting something happen to her mother either. They all agreed and quickly made their way back to the Evan's residence.

Philip Evan's opened his front door with caution. He was surprised to not only see Michael, Maria and the sheriff, but also Amy DeLuca. Once inside Michael assured them everything was fine and that Amy knew everything. Max was quiet when he saw the sheriff. He blamed himself for Kyle's death and didn't know what to say to the sheriff. It was the sheriff that approached Max first though. "Don't blame yourself for what they did to my son. Kyle's with Tess now. At least they have each other to watch out for them. But, I do want to revenge his death, so what do you say you fill me in on this plan of yours." As he stated this he stuck out his hand as a gesture of friendship.

Max took his hand and shook it, with a promise he intended to do just that. Revenge both for Kyle and Tess. This time it was going to end permanently. Alex ran in the house at that moment not even bothering to knock on the door. "I did it." He stated to the rest of the group. The plan had been put in motion, they would get their revenge.

The next knock at the door shocked everyone. Since everyone that knew about them was currently at the house they had no idea who it was. Max immediately instructed for the group to stay in the study. The sheriff and Michael followed as Max went to the door and slowly answered it, prepared for what ever was on the other side. When he saw who it was, he smiled and opened it widely. "Ryan? What brings you here to Roswell, NM?"

"You actually Max. I've had a few days to think about everything you told me back in Bingham. I want help you in this cause. It's not just your planet your fighting for it's mine too. Will you allow me to serve under you." Ryan Thatcher stated as he bowed his head to Max.

Max was taken back by the young soldiers actions. Yes, he was supposed to be the leader of his planet, but to have someone acknowledge it in this way from this planet almost blew him away. Both Michael and the sheriff now knew this was only the beginning of Max's leadership. This one soldier would be one of many in the years to come. The essence of that leader from another life was alive and well in the one named Max Evans. Max placed his hand on the young soldier's shoulder. "I would be honored to fight with you again Ryan." He stated in a voice that spoke like a king, a leader, a ruler and it was the first time that even Max began to realize he could do this. With the help of their friends, family and the love he shared with Liz he could handle his true destiny.

The End

Part 36 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.