FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Love, Life, and True Destiny"
Part 2
by Anne
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them!
Summary: Max and Liz discover that their true destiny is with each other… Immediately after Surprise…Everything happened just like in the show up until this point, with the exception of the last 10 minutes with Isabel in the cave. Instead she went home and went to bed…
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Mrs. Evans followed Max’s jeep straight out of town and towards the desert. Where was he going? What were her kids mixed up in? She had to find out…she needed to help them, or protect them. Whatever it took to ensure that her family was safe.

Diane took a look around on the highway, and it hit her in one shocking moment just where they were. They were on the same highway where she found Max, all those years ago. What would lead him back here?

When Max turned off the road and drove dead into open desert, Diane’s nervousness flared up even more. Where was he going? Didn’t he know that he could get lost alone out here at night? But he seemed to know right where he was going…

The jeep stopped at a huge rock formation that awed Diane at first sight. She stopped her car a short distance away and slipped out, following the kids on the path leading up the rocks.

Diane had to quickly hide around a corner, when the two of them stopped about halfway up, and turned to face the rocks. She peaked her head around just in time to watch Max place his hand flat against the rocks, and suddenly a huge rock door shifted open. Her jaw dropped in shock…what was this? Once they were inside, she sneaked in behind them, just before the rock face slid back into place, locking her inside.

She quickly slipped between two rocks to hide, before poking her head out and taking her first look around.

“Oh my God.” Was the only thought running through her mind. The cave was like something out of a bad science fiction movie. The central focus of the room was a huge device in the middle of the room with four pod-like things in it. There was a green glow emanating from the pods, casting a soft light around the room.

Max and Liz stood in the center of the room, both sets of eyes glued on the pods in the middle of the room. The silence was deafening, as Diane waited for them to talk.

Liz was the first to break the silence.

“It’s so weird being here. I’ve only been here once before…in May…and then…well, let’s just say that I really wish I could forget about that day.”

“Everything changed that day.”

Liz looked up and met Max’s eyes, a serious expression deep in her eyes. “It’s amazing, isn’t it? How your entire life can fall apart in a matter of minutes?”

“Yeah…” Max agreed softly.

“So, Max…you haven’t told me yet. How do you really feel about your destiny?”

“How do I feel about it? I…I don’t know to be honest with you, Liz. I don’t want it. All I have ever wanted in my life is to just be normal, to have a normal life, to be with the normal girl that I love, to not have to deal with being different. But then suddenly this huge burden is thrown on me. There’s an entire race of enslaved alien people sitting and waiting for me to come rescue them and be their leader, and it’s like that whole fantasy of my future has been completely taken away. And, I mean, I don’t know anything about being a leader, Liz. I can’t even keep things peaceful with Michael right now! And now we’re fighting a war. It’s small right now, Liz, but eventually this whole thing with the skins is going to blow up, and get worse and worse, until we can’t even lead a normal life any more.” He stopped and stared at her for a moment.

“It’s okay, Max…just let it all out…” She nudged him on.

“I’m scared, Liz. There’s only four of us, and an entire race of them. How are we supposed to win? And how can we stay the good guys? I’m the only one who hasn’t killed someone now, Liz. How long is that going to last? Will I be able to do it when the time comes? Or will I just let them kill me? Everyone is looking at me expecting me to direct them and make decisions, but I have no idea what to do.”

“I think you need to listen to your heart, Max. At least that’s what my grandma always told me to do when I was uncertain about anything. Your heart will always guide you down the right path.”

“But my heart isn’t listening to my mind at all. My heart just keeps screaming at me not to let you go.”

Liz turned away from Max and took a few steps away to compose herself. Staying away from Max…it was so hard on her. She’s giving Max advice that she isn’t even following herself. Liz’s own heart was screaming for her to throw herself in Max’s arms. Together they could forget about the whole destiny fiasco. Only together would anything ever feel right…they could be complete. But she couldn’t. It wasn’t meant to be.

“Liz…I’m sorry. I promised.”

“No, it’s okay. I told you to let it all out. You did.”

They settled into a few more moments of uncomfortable silence, both teens unwilling to look at each other for fear of what they would see in each other’s eyes. Liz’s eyes rested on the pods in the middle of the room. The pods…where Max was born. Where all of this began.

“Which one is yours?” Liz asked softly.

“What?” Max responded, surprised by the question.

“Which pod is yours? I want to know where you were born.”

Max nodded, and walked towards the pods. He stared at them for a moment, before reaching out and placing his hand on one. Liz gasped as it glowed in reponse to his touch. It was almost as if the pod recognized Max…

“This one.” Max responded softly, staring in awe at the green light emanating from the device beneath his palm.

“Obviously.” Liz agreed. “Do they all do that?”

Max touched the other three pods with no response. “I suppose it’s because it’s mine…it’s like it knows me or something.”

She walked towards him, eyeing the pod beside his.

“It’s no wonder, though. I mean, you spent, what, 40 years or more inside of this thing. Wow…it’s kind of amazing, that these things could sustain you for so long, and keep you so young at the same time. Your people must have so many technological advances that we can’t even begin to imagine.” Liz reached out to place her hand on the pod she was staring at, and gasped aloud.

The pod glowed in response of her.

Part 1 | Index | Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.