FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"Finding Our Normal"
Part 31
by LivE
Disclaimer: Sadly nothing Roswell is mine
Summary: This is a sequel to The Experiment. It was supposed to be less angsty, but the plot has overtaken me! Here are the basics: Max and Liz are back in Roswell. It’s nearing the end of their summer holidays and one (or maybe more) of the aliens from the opposing race has found them. They are also trying to conduct their relationship under the watchful eye of their parents.
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
When Jeff just kept staring at him without saying anything, Max started to panic. How could he let Mr Parker see that he would never allow Liz to be away from him again, even if that meant going against her father? That in Max’s list of priorities, being with Liz beat out everything else by a mile…

"Mr. Parker…" His voice was hoarse, pleading.

Nancy came to his rescue again. "Jeff, he doesn’t HAVE to do this. If he wanted to, he could have done with Liz whatever he liked with no commitment and leaving us clueless. This is a chance for us to share in our daughter’s life." She met Max’s relieved gaze. "In her love."

Jef was quiet for a long time. So long that Max felt his heart stop when he suddenly looked up. "Fine."

The happiness that coursed through Max was indescribable and he felt lightheaded with relief. Jumping up, he made a solemn vow to Jeff. "I can promise you one thing for certain, Mr Parker, I will NEVER stop loving Liz."

Jeff arose too. "You better not. And you better be… careful with her." The way he looked at Max made it clear he wasn’t talking about her heart. For Jeff HAD seen a lot the past few days and the one thing he didn’t have doubts about was Max’s feelings. But the physical intimacy was another thing altogether…

Max nodded, trying not to blush. "I promise." He took Jeff’s outstretched hand, giving him and Nancy one of his rare broad smiles.

Isabel was hovering outside nervously when Max came out. Seeing her brother’s smile, she flew into his arms. "Oh Max! I’m so happy for you." Before he had time to react, she pulled away. "And we have so much to do to get ready." She took off, only to be stopped by Max’s call.

"Hey Iz! Remember to bring the box."

~*~*~*~*~*~

Maria had dragged Liz into her and Max’s tent, claiming she wanted to discuss Michael’s latest weird actions and proceeded to illustrate in great detail how she was having trouble getting him to open up. It took close to two hours to get through the talk and Liz was feeling really sorry for her friend by the end. Poor Maria, falling in love with a guy who felt so much, but said so little about it.

And what was up with Max? She hadn’t seen him since he disappeared with the dads and his feelings were incredibly strong. Happiness, relief, anticipation. Liz couldn’t help but wonder what on earth was going on.

After the talk, Maria and Liz went to shower. The day had been incredibly hot and they were sticky. Maria had also mentioned that the camp was holding a special dinner for the parents and they should try to look nice. So they primped themselves in the bathroom trailer, before Maria decided what Liz should wear. She pulled out a flowing long white dress from pure cotton, that would fit Liz’s form snugly. "Oooh, chica! You should wear this. Max will flip!"

Eyeing the dress suspiciously, Liz said: "Where did you get that from, Maria? I don’t own something like that."

"How should I know where it came from? It was just… here. Maybe someone from the camp left it here for you. You know, cause you’re like, their Queen and everything." Seeing Liz still hesitating, she added: "I heard Prince Charming LOVES you in white…"

"He does?" Liz nearly swooned. And took the dress from Maria.

Maria grinned behind her hand. Lizzie, you are sooo easy! Just mention the magic name and you’ll do ANYTHING!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Max was watching his sister in amazement. She had organized basically everybody in the camp and in no time, the place was looking festive. Cloths and lanterns (for when it gets dark) decorated the area, while everyone appearing seemed to wear white. When Max asked Nick about this, he said it was the tradition for a bonding ceremony.

Max had to smile at himself. Here he was, nervous as hell and it was his SECOND time doing this with Liz. It was not as if she would say no or anything, but… I just want it to be perfect for her.

His smile widened when he felt his mom’s arms going around his waist. "Hi Mom." He put his arm around her shoulder. "Thank you for being so great about this."

Diane grinned. "Here you are the first to get married while your father and I were worried at once stage that, you know… you weren’t interested in girls at all."

Max grinned back. "No, you were right. I WASN’T interested in girls. I was only interested in Liz. And she seemed… like an impossible dream for so long that I…"

His mom gave him a hug. "Well, I’m glad she realized what a wonderful son I have. And that she loved you enough so that you could finally tell us about yourself." Mother and son smiled at each other. "And I can’t NOT see you two together anymore." She was silent for a few seconds. "Max, honey, you are being careful, aren’t you? I mean with Liz and…"

"Yeah Mom. I am."

And that was the end of that.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Nancy arrived at the tent just as Liz and Maria were finishing up. Liz had a moment of panic because the tent was clearly shared by her and Max. His stuff was everywhere. She looked at her mother anxiously, but saw nothing but a film of moisture in her eyes.

"Mom?" Liz was puzzled.

Nancy waved her hand. "Don’t mind me. I’m just happy you’re here and fine and…everything." She hugged Liz tightly. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mom." What was going on? Liz was getting more concerned by the minute.

"Hey!" Maria’s happy voice interrupted the moment. "I think it’s time we get to that dinner. Right Mrs Parker?"

Liz got more alarmed as her mother wiped tears from her eyes, before nodding. "Mom, are you sure you’re okay?"

"Fine, Lizzie. Let’s go."

The camp was deathly silent when they walked over to the dining tent. Not a soul was in sight, adding to Liz’s concern. Before they could reach the dining tent, Liz saw her father waiting for her. He held out his arms for her and she went over to hug him, not noticing that Maria and Nancy silently disappeared.

"Liz… Are you happy with Max? I mean really happy?" Jeff wanted to be absolutely sure.

Surprised by his question, Liz nodded her head emphatically. "Yes, Dad. He is… my other half. Why?"

Not answering her, Jeff turned her away from the tent, taking her hand as he led her around it to a clearing in the middle of the camp. A clearing that was filled by all the inhabitants waiting silently on both sides of a pathway that led to… Max.

Tears blurred Liz’s vision for a few seconds. Tears of happiness that she was so lucky to be loved so completely by Max Evans. But she blinked them away because she didn’t want to miss a single second of this moment.

She met Max’s stare and didn’t take her eyes away from his for the time it took her father to lead her towards him. The silence of the crowd enveloped them as she proceeded down the path. Everyone was aware of the significance of this moment. Even though they all knew that their leader and Liz had been bonded before, this was like the public ceremony that allowed the whole group to share in the poignant moment. And it was like nothing they had never seen before. Their ceremonies had always been for practical purposes. Now they saw one being performed for something altogether different. For love.

It shone from Max’s eyes as he watched his future walk towards him and it shone from Liz’s eyes as she stared at the center of her universe. It was breathtaking to watch. The emotions humming between them were palpable. So much that even the humans among the group felt them.

The silence was only broken by Jeff’s whispered: "Be happy!" when he handed Liz to Max. Symbolically confirming the reality that his daughter had belonged to Max Evans from the moment he had healed her in a café in a small town in New Mexico more than a year ago…

Part 30 | Index | Part 32
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.