FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 29
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
Max and Liz walked into the hospital waiting room with the Parkers later that afternoon, their mood strangely light and playful considering their current situation.

“Well, Liz’s grandmother was hiking in Yosemite, and she came across this guy who was deer hunting.” Jeff told the story jubilantly to the young couple.

“And it wasn’t even deer season.” Nancy cut in with a smile.

“Well, I think it was.” Jeff argued. “But anyway, he’s hunting inside the national park.”

“And it was off season too.” Nancy butted in again, correcting her husband.

“Anyway, she arrested him.” Jeff announced proudly.

“Who the hunter?” Liz asked with a giggle.

“Yeah, it was him and his brother and their buddy too, right?” Jeff turned to Nancy for back up.

“Right.”

“Wow.” Max marveled.

“Made a citizen’s arrest.” Jeff explained, the awe seeping into his voice.

“You should have seen her, dragging these three gun wielding, beer guzzling hunters into the sheriff’s office. It made the national news, right?” Nancy explained with a laugh.

“She’s so incredible!” Liz cried out happily, grinning up at Max beside her.

“CODE BLUE, ICU, ROOM 104. CODE BLUE, ICU, ROOM 104.” The hospital intercom suddenly called out, causing all four of them to freeze in their seats.

“Oh my God…it’s her.” Jeff cried out, just as Liz flew to her feet. They rushed quickly towards Claudia’s room, and pressed their faces to the cool, clear glass, desperately trying to see what was going on.

At the sight of the doctors rushing around her grandmother frantically, Liz’s heart began to pound harder in her chest, and panic surged up inside of her. Something was horribly wrong! She was doing worse, not better…hadn’t the doctor said that she was going to be okay?

‘No’ the logical part of Liz’s mind reminded her. ‘Doctor Sanchez said that they had reason to be hopeful, not that she was going to be okay.’

Well now hope was gone…Grandma Claudia was going to die.

Liz began to tremble violently, as she took a few step back from the window, shaking her head in denial.

Grandma Claudia couldn’t die…she was the most incredible, special woman in the whole world.

Liz needed her.

Tears welled up in Liz’s eyes, and began pouring out in streams down her face.

Then she felt hands, warm hands, on her hair, her arms, her face, gently wiping the tears away. She flung herself against a warm, strong body, while it’s arms engulfed her, and held her protectively, as she buried her face in the chest.

And then there was a soft, gentle voice whispering in her ear. “It’s okay to cry…just let it all out.”

So she did. Liz surrendered herself to the agony that had overtaken her body, and just let the powerful tremors rack through her tiny frame as she sobbed openly in Max’s comforting arms.

“Liz!” Maria called out her best friend’s name as she rushed towards where she sat in the hospital waiting room curled up in her boyfriend’s arms. “I came as soon as I could…what’s going on?”

“Grandma Claudia’s dying.” Liz moaned bluntly. Her eyes were still swollen from her earlier breakdown, and her voice cracked a bit with every word.

“She could still come out of it!” Maria insisted.

“Well, the doctor doesn’t think so. I saw it in his eyes.”

The two friends both fell silent as Maria let this sink in. Grandma Claudia was an incredible woman…she had always been so kind to Maria…the adult that Maria could always talk to when she couldn’t talk to her own mother. She never even considered the fact that Claudia would be gone someday…just like her father.

“I can’t believe this…Max and I spent the whole evening with her yesterday. She was so full of life. We couldn’t even tell that this was going to happen…it was so sudden. One minute she was talking and laughing with us…and then she just collapsed. If only we had been able to tell that this was going to happen…maybe if we had just figured it out earlier, we could have gotten her help before it got too bad.” Liz paused and looked up, her gaze flying wildly between her best friend and her boyfriend, who immediately took her hand comfortingly. Liz sighed. “I know…it’s irrational. I’m being irrational.”

“Liz, I’m glad you’re being irrational. I mean, this is hard. This is really, really hard.”

Liz nodded in agreement. “Yeah…thanks so much for coming Maria.”

“Of course…you’re my best friend…what else could I do.”

Liz smiled softly at her friend. “Why don’t you go home, get some sleep. You’ve been working all day for me…you’re probably exhausted.”

“I can stay Liz, really. It’s okay.”

“No, don’t worry about it. Max isn’t going anywhere.” Liz insisted, throwing another smile at him.

“Are you sure?” Maria asked again.

“Yeah, it’s fine. Thank you.”

“Okay…I love you.”

“I love you too.” Liz reached up and pulled her best friend into a tight hug. As Maria headed out of the hospital, Liz snuggled once more into Max’s warm, comforting arms, as together they drifted off into a warm, safe, restful sleep.

“Liz, honey?”

Liz’s eyes fluttered open, as she looked up groggily at her mother. “Yeah mom?” She groaned as she woke up.

“Your father and I are going out for some air…are you and Max going to be okay while we’re gone?”

“Yeah, we’re fine.” Liz responded, her mind waking up, particularly when she felt Max stir beside her. “Go ahead.”

They watched until the Parkers were out of sight, before Liz turned to Max.

“So…” She started slowly.

“So…” Max replied softly.

“We’re all alone now.”

“Yeah…Liz? Do you want to try to connect with her again?”

Max was surprised when Liz hesitated. “I don’t know…I mean, I’d like to, but what if we find out for sure that she’s…that it’s over? I don’t know if I’m ready to know that.”

“It’s hard…” Max agreed. “But maybe, if it works, we’ll get a chance to say goodbye.”

Liz nodded, understanding sweeping over her, as she realized what he was really saying. She was dying…nothing could change that. Connecting with Grandma Claudia would do nothing, except give them one last chance to see her, to talk to her, to say goodbye.

“Lets do it.” Liz decided softly.

Max and Liz joined hands as they opened their minds to each other. The connection was nearly instantaneously formed, with an intensity that still managed to surprise them, as each other’s deepest feelings washed over them. Tears formed in Liz’s eyes, as Max’s agony at the thought of loosing Grandma Claudia mixed with her own…together it was a powerful sadness that swept through them both, possessing both their souls.

They turned to look at the woman lying in the hospital bed, and together made their way towards her. Max reached his free hand out, placing it on Claudia’s temple, and they focused their combined minds on her.

It was a struggle, as they tried to penetrate Claudia’s weakening mind, but the connection formed, and once more Max and Liz found themselves squinting their eyes painfully in the bright light of the desert of Claudia’s mind.

They immediately took off running towards the pit where Claudia was digging before. It was deeper than their last visit…she had been battling hard…but Liz gasped out in shock when she lay her eyes on her grandmother.

Claudia looked exhausted…completely worn…her hair disheveled, her clothes shredding and dirty, her face red with sunburn. The shovel was still locked firmly in her grip, but unlike before when she was furiously digging, Claudia was barely managing to make any progress at all.

Weakly, Claudia raised her head to look at the two teens standing before her.

“I’ve been trying so hard.” She gasped out. “I’m so glad you came back…”

“Oh grandma…” Liz cried out sadly.

“Honeybear…I don’t think I can fight much longer…I just wanted one more chance to talk to you.” Claudia weakly tossed another small pile of dirt to the side before continuing. She grinned slightly at them. “Even now, I can’t stop long enough to talk to you…if I stop, then it’s over…and I want to keep going…just to say what I need to say.”

“We’re here, Grandma.” Max told her softly. “You can say anything.” He led Liz a little closer, and they sat on the edge of the pit, smiling softly at her.

“What you two have found in each other is something special…it’s more real than anything else in this world. Hold on to your love for each other. It is the most precious gift that either of you will ever receive. Together you can do anything, but apart, you’re nothing. Listen to your hearts, always. Trust them…they’ll always lead you back to each other when things get rough. Promise me you’ll do that.”

“We will.” Liz swore to her.

“It’s time for me to let go, now. I just wanted to see you two one last time. Seeing you makes me so happy…it reminds me of what I could have had…” Claudia smiled wistfully.

“I’m going to miss you so much!” Liz cried out. “I don’t know what I’m going to do without you.”

“You’re going to do fine…you have Max. He’s what you need, Lizzie. And he needs you just as much as you need him. And he’s smart enough to know that.” Claudia laughed weakly. “You need to go now…you can’t be here when I stop digging.”

“Goodbye Grandma.” Liz cried out.

“Bye sweetie…I love you…and I’ll always be watching over you.”

The desert faded away as Max broke the connection, and they found themselves back in the hospital room.

Tears of sad acceptance fell softly down Liz’s cheek as the heart machine flatlined. Max wrapped his arms around her, and kissed Liz lightly on the forehead, right as the doctors came rushing in to examine their dying grandmother.

Part 28 | Index | Part 30
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.