FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 28
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
The jeep slid to a stop beneath the flashing lights of the Crashdown sign, and Max hushed the soft rumble of it's engine.

Silence settled over the couple, as they were both lost in thought. It had been a long night, and with all of the events, mixed with the intense emotions that came with them, Max and Liz were left feeling worn and tired.

The Parkers had decided to stay with Claudia at the hospital, but Liz had opted to go home, wanting to get some sleep before school the next day. Reluctantly, the Parkers had agreed to let Max take Liz home.

Max turned and allowed his gaze to fall on Liz, his eyes slowly taking in each tiny movement that she made. Her breathing was slow and even. Her hands rested lightly on her thighs, but they trembled slightly. Max leaned over and covered her hand with his own, easing the tremble beneath his touch.

Liz broke the silence with a simple question, her voice wavering slightly. "Will you stay with me tonight? I don't want to be alone."

"Of course I will." Max responded gently. He slid out of the driver’s seat, and made his way around to the passenger side of the jeep where Liz sat.

"Come here." Max whispered softly, as he picked her up, one arm sliding down beneath her legs, and the other securing her back. Liz wrapped her arms around Max's neck and nuzzled her face into his chest, as he carried her to the door of her house.

Liz smiled softly to herself as she heard the door click open under Max's magical touch. He was amazing... Liz must have done something right in her life, to earn the gift of the love of the most perfect guy in the world: tall, dark, handsome, good, sweet, kind intelligent, determined Max Evans. And he was so special...with his incredible abilities...and he was in love with her...

Liz yawned widely as Max set her down on her bed.

"Oh, I'm so tired." She sighed.

"Where are your pajamas?" Max asked softly.

"Bottom dresser drawer."

"Here..." Max handed them to her.

"Thanks.." Liz mumbled, pulling herself up and padding into the bathroom to change into her oversized flannel pants and tank top. She returned to find Max wandering around her room, examining the pictures and other objects that she had laying out all around her room.

He turned and smiled at her as she entered. Liz slowly made her way towards him, and reached up to kiss him lightly on the lips.

"You're not going to sleep in that, are you?" Liz asked him softly.

Max's response was lost in his throat as Liz slid her hands beneath his leather jacket, pushing it off his shoulders, and letting it fall to the ground. Her hands slid beneath his t-shirt, making Max's stomach turn and his skin burn as she slid the shirt up and over his head, discarding it to the side as their eyes burned deeply into one another's.

Max sucked in his breath as Liz reached for the button of his jeans. He stopped her hand quickly, pulling it up to his lips for a soft kiss.

"Liz, honey...if you keep it up, then we won't get any sleep tonight, and I know that you need it."

Liz blushed, and smiled at his thoughtfulness. He always put her ahead of his own needs...how did she get so lucky?

Max slid out of his jeans on his own, leaving him standing there in just his boxers.

Wordlessly, Max and Liz crawled into bed, and Max wrapped his arms around her tightly, pulling her as close to him as possible. He leaned down and kissed Liz lightly on the shoulder.

"Just let it all go." Max whispered to her. "Forget about everything else and get some sleep. You'll need your strength later."

Liz never responded...she had already fallen into a deep sleep.

-------

"Liz, how's it going?" Maria greeted her best friend when she walked into their history class the next afternoon.

Liz collapsed into the seat beside Maria with a sigh. "I'm so worried, Maria. I can't wait for this day to end so that I can get back to the hospital."

"The hospital? Liz, what's going on?" Maria asked, concern slipping into her voice.

"Oh my God..I haven't told you yet! Grandma Claudia showed up early last night, and...she had a stroke. She's in the hospital...unconscious...right now."

"Oh my God...Liz, I'm so sorry. Is there anything I can do? Is she going to be okay?"

"She's going to make it, Maria. I know it. The wait is just killing me."

"Yeah..." Maria nodded. "I understand."

Max chose that moment to make his entrance into the classroom, and he met Liz's gaze from the doorway. For a moment the world faded away into nothingness, while they lost themselves in each other's eyes, silently screaming out their love for each other.

As Max made his way towards them, Liz refocused on her best friend.

"Max has been absolutely incredible. He was there with me when Grandma collapsed, and stayed with me at the hospital last night. He's been supporting me every possibly moment. He's like, my rock of stability or something. He's keeping me strong."

"That's awesome, Liz. And you know I'm here for you too if you need me."

"Yeah, I know. Thanks Maria."

"Hey." Max greeted them as he slid into the empty desk on the other side of Liz, sliding it closer so that he could take her hand. "How are you doing?"

"Better now that you're here." Liz grinned at him. "But I desperately want school to let out so that we can get back to the hospital."

"Do you want to leave early? We can, you know."

"No, I don't want to miss school."

"Okay, well, the moment the final bell rings, we'll head over there, okay?"

"Thank you…for everything. You've been so wonderful…I don't know why you're so good to me."

"I love you, Liz. Plain and simple. It's just natural to me."

"I don't think there's anything plain and simple about it, Max. Whatever it is, it's incredible."

"Yeah, I know."

"Damn!" Maria cried out in amazement. Max and Liz both turned to her in shock…they had forgotten she was there.

"What?" Liz asked.

"You guys talk like you're in a fairy tale or something."

"A fairy tale?" Liz asked.

"Yeah, you know, the whole perfect love, knight in shining armor, soul mate thing."

"I guess we are." Liz commented.

"Nope." Max disagreed.

"What?" Liz questioned him in surprise.

"You forget…there's one big difference between what we have and fairy tale love."

"And what's that?" Maria asked him.

"This is real."

Part 27 | Index | Part 29
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.