FanFic - Crashdown After Hours
"A Twist of Fate"
Part 17
by Anne Baker
Disclaimer: They’re not mine. The characters of Roswell belong to Melinda Metz, the WB, Jason Katims, and all the wonderful people who we all love for starting this wonderful story. I’m just borrowing them! The quotes are from “Watershed” by Indigo Girls. Go girls! (Amy shook my hand! That’s my one claim to fame of the summer while y’all were meeting Jason!)
Summary: It's Freshman year, and a certain dream couple starts to eye each other! What would happen if the couples got together Frosh year instead of Sophomore year?
Category: After Hours
Rating: NC-17
Authors Note: Dedication: Thanks to my whole Roswell family for being so supportive and loving to me. Particularly Mel, Celeste, Patti, Jez, Linda, Anne M, and the whole diehard family!
Max woke up early the morning that he was due to head home to Roswell.

He and Liz had fallen asleep together again, and he couldn't help but smile at the tiny creature that was all curled up beside him. It was amazing, that they could be together like this away from home…and even more amazing that Claudia let them get away with it!

He kissed her softly on the shoulder, before silently slipping away from her, covering her with a blanket for warmth, and heading out to the kitchen.

Claudia was sitting at the table reading the newspaper when Max came in.

"Morning Grandma." Max greeted as he helped himself to a glass of milk.

"Good morning, Max. Is Liz still asleep?"

"Yeah, I thought I'd let her rest a bit longer."

"Okay. Let's go for a walk." Max was surprised at Grandma Claudia's tone. She wasn't making a request.

Max dutifully followed her outside, and down the block. They walked in an uncomfortable silence for a while, before Claudia finally brought up what was on her mind.

"Are you in love with Lizzie, Max?"

"Yes." Max admitted softly.

"Are you going to hurt her?"

Max's head shot up in shock. Where did that come from?

"What?" He asked her incredulously.

"I asked if you're going to hurt her, Max." She sighed softly. "Why don't I just get to the point. I know about you, Max. I know what you are. I know that you're different from us."

Max stopped dead in his tracks. His face paled and his mouth ran dry.

"What? I'm not…"

Claudia cut him off.

"Don't try and deny it, Max. I know."

Max stared at her for a moment, before silently nodding. They walked on a few more blocks before continuing.

"How did you find out?" He asked quietly. "The lab yesterday?"

"Yes. Does Lizzie know?"

"No."

"Are you going to tell her?"

Max struggled with his words before continuing. "I don't know… I want to tell her…more than anything. I've never even wanted to tell anyone before…she's the first one, the only one. But it's complicated. There's others…it's not just my life at stake. It's not only my decision, and the others won't go for it."

"Max, if you're not completely honest with each other, there's no relationship. It will never go anywhere if you are always keeping secrets from her."

"I know that. It's hard. And…I'm scared."

"You don't need to be, Max."

"What if she doesn't love me anymore? What if she sees me as some horrible creature? We're not even the same species… And it's dangerous…maybe it's too dangerous for her…"

"Max, listen to me. If there's anyone who will take it well, it's Lizzie. Do you really think that this one thing will make her see you any differently? She's the most loving, accepting person I know. I don't think that she's going to turn away from you…I think it will make you both stronger. You need to tell her, Max."

"I know… It's just hard."

"But she's incredible, Max. She'll take it well. The important thing to me, is that I need to be sure that you're not going to hurt her with your secret, Max."

"I don't plan to."

"No one ever plans to hurt the people they love, Max, unless you're a horrible person, which I know you're not. You and Liz are connected to each other, Max, more deeply than either of you even know yet. If you leave her, or if anything ever happens to you, it's going to destroy her, Max. She'll never be the same. Don't you dare hurt her Max…ever."

Part 16 | Index | Part 18
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.