FanFic - Unconventional Pairings
"Letting Go"
Part 1
by Dayna
Disclaimer: Characters don't belong to me. They belong to whoever has rights to the show Roswell. No copyright infringement intended.
Category: Unconventional Pairings
Rating: PG
Authors Note: Kyle/Maria
Kyle leaned against the building, staring at the people sitting on the lawn. For a long time, he thought he hated Max Evans. After all, Max had stolen the woman he loved. Kyle knew there was something strange going on with Max, his sister, and that Guerin guy. And after they involved Liz and Maria, Kyle became determined to uncover the secret and get Liz away from Max.

He had watched as Alex began hanging out with the group, and was shocked as he watched him develop a relationship with Isabelle. That had surprised him, as had the look he always saw on Liz's face whenever she looked at Max. Kyle had to admit that she had never looked at him like that. But, he wasn't going to let that stop him. He would find out what they were hiding, and use it against Max.

At least that had been his plan, until he'd been confronted by Maria. She'd told him, in no uncertain terms, to back off. To be man enough to let Liz go. Maria had told him he had no idea the trouble he could cause all of them if he didn't let go. He had watched her walk away, and had to admit he admired her spunk, but he wouldn't let her words change his mind. He'd been determined to expose the truth.

Kyle leaned his head back against the wall. {God, what an idiot I was. Why didn't I listen to Maria's warnings?} His eyes teared as he remembered the night that had changed his life, and his outlook. He had followed Max, Liz, Maria, and Isabelle from the Crashdown out to a spot in the desert. Earlier in the night, he'd seen Michael and Alex leave, and figured they were all going to meet. And Kyle was going to make sure he was there to see what they did. But what he hadn't realized was that he was being followed too. He'd watched the four of them approach a section of rocks, and saw them kneel down by them. Kyle hadn't thought about it as he approached them, startling them. He saw the anger in Max's eyes, then turned to the others. He turned to Maria who was looking at him angrily, but he saw her expression change.

In slow motion, he heard her call his name and run towards him. He heard Max and Liz call for Maria, then felt Maria pushing him to the ground as he heard a gunshot. More gunshots followed, and Kyle covered Maria's body with his own. He heard Max yell at them to stay down, and looked up to see that Max had both Isabelle and Liz behind some rocks. Kyle looked down at Maria, expecting her to yell at him, but her eyes were closed. He moved his hand and gasped as it came away with blood covering it. Kyle yelled to Max that Maria had been shot, and heard him swear.

More shots were exchanged, and then it was quiet. Max told the girls to stay hidden, and he ran to where Kyle was cradling Maria's body. Max felt for a pulse, as they heard someone yelling Kyle's name. A movement caused both Kyle and Max to shield Maria, only to find themselves staring at the Sheriff. He assured them that the people who were shooting at them were gone, and Max turned his attention back to Maria as Liz and Isabelle came running out. Both yelling at Kyle for following them.

Max yelled for them all to be quiet. Maria was dying. Liz knelt by her friend, begging Max to help her. Max looked to Isabelle, then to Kyle and his father. They knew there was no way to use his powers without Kyle and the Sheriff discovering the truth. Isabelle told Max to save Maria, but they were all stopped when they heard Maria whisper no.

Max leaned down by Maria. "Maria, you're dying. Let me help you."

"No, Max.....can't risk it."

Kyle stood listening to the exchange, then looked to his father. He didn't understand the conversation, but his father seemed to have an idea. Kyle saw his father struggling with himself, then watched him kneel down and put his hand on Max's shoulder.

"Do what you can, son. What happens here won't leave this spot. Kyle and I will keep your secret."

Kyle nodded, not knowing what secret, but knowing he'd do whatever he had to do if it meant Maria wouldn't die. She had risked her life to save his, and he wouldn't forget that. "I promise."

The Sheriff stood, and Kyle knelt in his place. He reached for Maria's hand. "I don't pretend to know what's going on, and I wish I'd listened to you before. But, if Max can help you, let him do it. I won't tell anyone what happens."

Kyle watched as Maria gazed at him cautiously, then breathed a sigh of relief as he saw her nod to Max. Kyle watched in shock as he saw Max raise Maria's shirt, and place his hands over the wound. His eyes wide as he saw the hole close and the blood disappear. Kyle helped Max get Maria to her feet, and they went to the jeep. Isabelle helped Maria into the back, while Max and Liz jumped in the front.

"You kids get home, and don't tell anyone that you were out here. I'll handle our visitors over there. Ms. Deluca, might I suggest you get rid of that shirt. Now, you were never here and I never saw you. Understood?"

The teenagers all nodded, not knowing why Sheriff Valenti was helping them, and afraid to believe that he meant to kept their secret. Kyle's gaze locked with Maria's, then he watched them drive away. Later, he would ask his father why he'd agreed never to tell what he'd seen.

In the months that followed, Kyle had let go of his desire to get Liz away from Max. He'd even gotten over his dislike of Max. Learning that the three were aliens had not been what he expected, but they had his repect. He'd keep their secret.

"Hey, why so serious?"

Kyle smiled as Maria walked up to him. He reached out and pulled her into his arms. "Just thinking what a jerk I used to be. And how lucky I am that you forgave me."

"Yeah, well, I kind of got used to you hanging around. Let's just say you grew on me."

Kyle tightened his hold on his girlfriend. He'd become a permanent addition to Maria's life after what happened in the desert, and the rest of them had kind of accepted him. Kyle knew Max and Isabelle were still suspicous of him, but they were willing to give him a chance. After all, what choice did they really have. He already knew about them. Michael was another story, though. He made it perfectly clear that he neither liked nor trusted Kyle. But, Kyle couldn't blame him. He figured Michael was jealous of Kyle's relationship with Maria.

As he wrapped his arm around Maria's waist and headed over to the group, he caught Michael watching them. Well, Michael would just have to get used to it. He'd had his chance with Maria, and had let her go. Kyle wasn't about to make the same mistake. He'd do whatever he had to do in order to protect Maria, and if that protecting the aliens, then that was what he would do. His father had pointed out that if their true identities were revealed, that those closest to them would be in danger too. And he'd die before he saw Maria, or Liz, hurt again because of something he'd done. Besides, he had to admit that he kind of liked Max and Isabelle. Given time, he figured they could be friends. Michael, however, was another story.

THE END

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.