FanFic - Other
"Trials"
Part 1b
by Sage
Disclaimer: No characters are mine.
Summary: Maria finds out something about her past that her mother and father never told her.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Authors Note: Warning: foul language, All the information on the witch trials ARE NOT MINE I got it from this website http://www.salemweb.com/memorial/default.htm so don't sue me or anything. I'm not getting any money from this. The speech that Maria is doing is pretty long, but if anyone is going to read this then you need to read all of it. Or else you won't understand what happens later in the story. This information was needed, or else I wouldn't have used so much.
August 19

George Jacobs, Sr., Martha Carrier, George Burroughs, John Proctor, and John Willard were hanged on Gallows Hill.

George Jacobs

"Because I am falsely accused. I never did it."

September 9

Martha Corey, Mary Easty, Alice Parker, Ann Pudeator, Dorcas Hoar, and Mary Bradbury were tried and condemned.

Mary Bradbury

"I do plead not guilty. I am wholly innocent of such wickedness."

September 17

Margaret Scott, Wilmott Redd, Samuel Wardwell, Mary Parker, Abigail Faulkner, Rebecca Eames, Mary Lacy, Ann Foster, and Abigail Hobbs were tried and condemned.

September 19

Giles Corey was pressed to death for refusing a trial.

September 21

Dorcas Hoar was the first of those pleading innocent to confess. Her execution was delayed.

September 22

Martha Corey, Margaret Scott, Mary Easty, Alice Parker, Ann Pudeator, Wilmott Redd, Samuel Wardwell, and Mary Parker were hanged.

October 8

After 20 people had been executed in the Salem witch hunt, Thomas Brattle wrote a letter criticizing the witchcraft trials. This letter had great impact on Governor Phips, who ordered that reliance on spectral and intangible evidence no longer be allowed in trials.

October 29

Governor Phips dissolved the Court of Oyer and Terminer.

November 25

The General Court of the colony created the Superior Court to try the remaining witchcraft cases which took place in May, 1693. This time no one was convicted.

Mary Easty

"...if it be possible no more innocent blood be shed... ...I am clear of this sin."

"I went on to this website, where I got all my information and it said 'Clearly, it is important to understand that the word "witch" is complex and powerful. Used as an accusation of Satanic pact in the 17th century, it could result in death. Used as a religious title, it indicates a follower of an ancient pagan belief system, and lastly, used in the popular interpretation of the word, it conveys a range of images from the humorous Broomhilda in the comics to the dangerous and frightening "wicked Witch of the West" in the movies. Each meaning of the word is distinct from the others and needs to be used in its proper context.' Well, that's it, I'm done," I said as I finished my report.

Just as I went to go sit in my seat the bell rang.

"Ah, Maria, can I see you for a second?" asked Mr. Alan.

"Um yeah, what's up?" I said.

"Your report was amazing, but you didn't tell me how YOU felt about it. I was looking for a little bit more of it in your own words," he said.

"Isn't that what the essay's for? I mean not the speech? I explained it in my own words on the 10 pages of my essay," I said.

"I'll except that then. Thank you," he said not arguing.

I turned to go out of the class room.

"Maria?" I heard Liz say behind me.

"Hey, Liz," I said as she started to walk with me.

"Are you feeling okay?? I just mean lately you haven't acted very, well much like, your bubbly self," she said as we stopped by her locker.

"It's these Salem Witch Trials. I mean, I've been doing research on them for like a month now and usually, when I get a class assignment done I mean, well, I'm done with it and just drop it, but this one I want to learn more about. It interests me," I said.

"Oh! Do you want me to go to the library with you and help you look some stuff up?" she questioned.

"Nah, I think I can handle looking up something in a book," I said teasingly.

"Ha, ha very funny," she said as she opened her locker.

"Max is coming over," I said.

Liz jumped and turned around, whipping her hair in her face.

"Hi," was Liz's quivering response.

"Hey. Maria, your speech was amazing," he said.

'Thanxs a bunch, but now that's school is over, well for the summer anyhow, I'm not going to worry about my college applications or anything, zilch, nadda, zient`a," I said.

"Well, there's something that has come up and we need to talk to you guys about it along with Kyle and Valenti. Meet at the Crashdown after hours," Max said and walked off.

"Well, okay boss boy," I said staring at his back.

"Well, seeya tonight then," Liz said.

"Yeah, I gotta head towards the library, and then I have to go make dinner for Mom and Mr. Valenti, they've been dating, talk about eeewwww, anyhow I'm cooking this seafood salad with chocolate chip brownies. Yumm yumm," I said.

"What's yumm yumm?" said a voice behind me.

I turned to see Micheal. After all this time in knowing him, he still takes my breath away.

"My choclate chip brownies," I said and then turned around to leave.

"Maria, have you been avoiding me??" he asked.

"I think it's time I leave," Liz said and walked away in the other direction.

"NoooOO," I said trying to not let him see that I was lying.

I've been avoiding him for some reason that is beyond me. He makes me nervous. I get tingles and I get hot. My knees get weak. Oh, it's awful. It's also because of those Salem Trials though.

He looked at me.

"Okay, then how about I come over to your house and watch some scary movies with you?" he asked.

"How about not?" I said getting a little nervous.

"Why?" he asked.

"Because I'm busy. Not that it's any of your buisness," I said.

"Then how about tomorrow night?" he asked.

"Okay," I said and as soon as I said it I slammed my hand onto my mouth "No I didn't mean..."

"Nope, you already said you would," he said and he left.

"Damn," I said to myself as I walked out of the building of the school.

I headed over to my red, piece of shit car, and got in. I turned on the ingine and headed towards the library.

Part 0 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.