FanFic - Other
"The Way It Ought To Be"
Part 1
by kratznee
Disclaimer: Roswell and crew belong to Metz, Katims, and the WB, They don't belong to me. I'm just borrowing these kids for a little fun, and I promise to return them with only a few minor nicks and bruises. In Your Eyes is originally performed by Peter Gabriel, but I, personally, opted for the Jeffrey Gaines version. Grrr.
Summary: After Destiny. Um…my version of what should have happened. I start with everyone getting ready for the first day of school since…well, everything. Liz went to Florida, Max stayed behind, the only real difference is that Max and Maria didn't really talk too much during Liz's absence.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: First attempt at fanfic. Constructive criticism is welcome. I'm planning on turning this little baby into a series. So, keep a look out. This is M/L, but I intend on exploring other relationships soon. I put thoughts in <> those. A little birdie told me it'd make it easier to understand. This is dedicated to Snowy; I love you girlie. Thanks for the guidance and the love. (Geez, I never knew I was such a cornball).
Liz sits up straight. The heaviness of the past year washed over her. Liz sighed and leaned towards the clock on her bedside table. <3:30. > I need to sleep, and quit worrying about Max. How can I not worry? Tomorrow is the first day I'll see him since…>

Looking into his eyes as he healed her. Him holding her face; flashes.

strawberries.

delivery truck.

kiss.

Liz tried to shake the pictures out of her head. Anxiousness mingled with fearful excitement sent tingles all over her body. She threw her head into her pillow and smiled. That kiss.

Max blinked as he stared at the ceiling of his room. Ever since Liz walked away from him, he couldn't sleep. His mind always wandered to places it shouldn't...no, couldn't go.

Healing her, flashes.

strawberries.

delivery truck.

kiss

Max glanced at his alarm clock. <3:30. I have to sleep. I need to be completely focused on everything I do, say...the signals I send her. White. Square. Sleep. > That kiss.

**Love I get so lost sometimes Days pass and this emptiness fills my heart**

"Happy D-Day" Maria grinned at Liz's reflection in the mirror. Maria giggled at her deviousness… "Hey Liz, don't you think you should go for something a little more…let's use dramatic?"

Liz scrunched up her nose. "Nah, I think I have it all covered…Why? Is there something wrong with what I'm wearing?"

"Liz, let's face it honey. You left. He has a destiny with that blonde…whatever, and you're job is to make him drool. You haven't lost. Not on my watch. If he chooses her he has to know that he's made a mistake, and I know that he knows that he'll make a mistake, but the fact still remains. He's a man, who well, let's face it, doesn't have the greatest track record with blondie." Maria turned to see Liz's reaction.

Liz was feeling a little uneasy… A small grin sneaked across Liz's face, and Maria picked up her bag.

"I knew you'd do this…So, I found you the perfect thing to wear." Maria saw the frown forming and quickly added, "this is the perfect thing for YOU not ME."

"You never know." Liz giggled, "I hope it's great…if not, I have a little something…"

Maria watched Liz's expression closely…

Red. The dress was little shiny sports car red. It was gorgeous. It had a square neckline and the hem at the bottom was in a slant. It was very simple, but beautiful. Maria turned the dress around and smiled as Liz gasped. There was practically no back except for a thin strip of material in the middle of the back.

Liz mused to herself.

"Dangerous" Maria smiled…reading Liz's mind is so easy.

"Where'd you get it?" Liz stared at Maria with wide eyes.

"Thrift store. Well, consignment shop." Maria smiled. "This really great place that I go to about twice a year, since I can never find an occasion special enough to have to get something there. And if this isn't special then I don't know what is."

Maria handed the dress to Liz and she carefully placed it on her bed.

"I saw it and knew it was you. It's simple. No frills. Simple. But it's got a hint of danger…a little something special that sets it apart. This dress was made for you."

Liz laughed, "Maria, I couldn't be dangerous if I was holding dynamite. But, I must admit that this dress…" Liz reached over and touched the soft material, "this is perfect." The smile on Liz's face threatened to take her over. "OH NO! I don't have the right shoes or make-up!"

Maria grabbed Liz by her shoulders. "Calming deep breaths, do I need to get out the Cypress oil?"

Liz smiled, "No"

"You are in such good hands, did you honestly think that I would forget about all that?" The tension faded and Maria turned to her bag. "Voila!"

Maria spun around holding a pair of red flip-flops. The wedged heel was a dark wood and the plastic thong thingies were red.

Liz giggled with happiness, "Perfect!" She put the flip flops on the bed beside the dress.

"And Now, drum roll please," Maria turned back to her bag and rummaged around a bit. She spun around while holding something behind her back. "You're going to let me do your make-up, and I promise I'll be good." Maria beamed with uncontrollable excitement.

Liz smiled at her friend. "Ok, but only if you're careful."

Maria squealed and sat Liz down. "Now, first, you are putting your hair in curlers," before Liz could protest, Maria charged on, "and you're painting your toenails…lemme see," Maria dug in the make-up bag, "Sugar." She handed Liz the silvery shimmering bottle of polish and smiled at Liz's exasperation.

"Perfect," Liz's eyes filled up with tears and she wrapped her arms around Maria's neck, "Thank you…I love you so much…I'm so sorry I stayed away all summer, but I couldn't…" She fought back the flood forming in her eyes.

"Ok, We've got to stop this right now. Your face will get red and puffy and my make-up will run. And we can't have that happening on your big day."

They looked at each other and bust out laughing.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"C'mon Michael, Let's get going!" Max sighed impatiently. Max frowned at himself.

"What!" The door swung open. Michael answered the door in a white wife-beater and a pair of ragged pajama pants. His hair was sticking straight up; well, even straighter up then usual. And he looked like a disoriented beast.

"School, Michael." Max had to fight to not laugh at the animal standing before him.

"Yeah" Michael ran his hand through his hair and waved Max in as he walked into his apartment. "It'll just be a sec." Michael walked towards his room and Max headed for the kitchen area. "Hey, Maxwell!" Michael's muffled voice floated to Max.

Max looked inside the fridge and grabbed the orange juice…since there was nothing else. "Yes?"

"How you holding up?" Michael appeared in the kitchen, fully dressed with toothbrush in mouth.

"I'm holding. Why do you ask?" Max flinched.

"Ma **cough** aah" Michael leaned over the kitchen sink and deposited a mouth full of toothpaste. "You my friend," Michael pointed his toothbrush at Max, "are full of it."

Max sighed. "Ok, not so good." Max shifted his gaze from Michael to the window. "I'm anxious…excited to see her, but I'm also dreading having to face her." Max looked back at Michael. I guess he wasn't expecting me to say anything.

Michael just stared at his friend. "Max. It'll be ok. It's just school. Maria said that she was going over to help Liz get ready and that they'd meet us at school. Well, Maria will meet me and Liz will be with her." He patted his pale friend on the back.

"Michael, I don't know if I can do this." Max gulped.

"Dude, we're going. So, you're going to have to get over this thing you've got going on and get your game face on." Michael laughed.

Max walked out of the kitchen area and into the living room area. "I don't think I want to do this." Max looked at his friend.

Michael followed Max and decided that the sooner they get this over with the better. "Ok, Max. Let's get going."

Max looked up and the fear washed out of his face. "Let's do it."

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.