FanFic - Other
"The Game"
Part 3
by Lauren
Disclaimer: Roswell and all characters associated with the show are property of the WB Network and Melinda Metz. Don't bother to sue me, because I don't have any money anyways. Also, as a side note, I refer to some other stories in The Game such as - Roswell Elementary (usage of Dogface, etc) and Roswell High Series (usage of auras).
Summary: Pre "Crazy"
Category: Other
Rating: R
Authors Note: Feedback: is a MUST. I love getting feedback and e-mail! Challenge Info/Summary: This story is answering one of the Challenges by Christina found at: www.geocities.com/emerald_roswell_freak and this is the challenge: 1. M/L, M/M, A/I 2. Max meet Nacerro/Nasedo (however you want to spell it - I'm from AZ and here we roll our R's!) 3. He is forced to go back one year before and see if things would be the same if the shooting hadn't occurred. 4. He has to get the courage to get Liz to go out with him and become intimate without telling her he is an alien. (Intimate doesn't necessarily mean sex, this is any rating) 5. He has to get Michael and Maria together - he does this by locking them together in a room. 6. He has to get Isabel and Alex together, but this is new because they aren't together in the other universe. 7. If he doesn't accomplish this in thirteen days, he has to leave Roswell and go with Nacerro to another place as his slave. 8. The story must be very tense. 9. You have to post it on my board (www.InsideTheWeb.com/mbs.cgi/mb1058889) and anywhere else
Michael and I entered the Crashdown to see the two thugs that would shoot Liz already here. The two thugs didn't come into the Crashdown Café until 3:45pm in my past. But here... it was only 3:15pm and they were already in place. I knew something odd was going on, but I was too concerned that any moment, the bullets would start to fly. I guess I was forced to go with Plan B, ya think?

The Crashdown was bustling, complete with tourists that wanted to "experience the alien experience" by visiting every tacky Roswell themed store in Roswell. I'd hate to see their reaction if they knew two aliens were sitting in the same café with them, drinking Alien Blasts.

Liz and Maria were standing behind the counter, looking at all the people. I noticed that Maria pointed to our table and nudged Liz. (Did I mention I was buying a case of Cedar Oil for Maria?? Well, she's up to two cases now.) Liz started making her way through the crowd of people to our table, while Maria approached the table in front of the two thugs. I could feel my heart beating faster as she approached.

"Hi Max... Michael." Liz greeted us. "What can I get for you today?"

"Uhh... just an Alien Blast for me?" I said, nervously watching the two thugs over Liz's shoulder. The one closest to the window... he just looked... odd.

"I'll take a Will Smith." Michael said, as he looked at me funny.

Liz smiled as she wrote down her orders and started to walk away. As she started to make her way to the back counter, I heard the words that I had been dreading to hear all day.

"NO! I WANT MY GODDAMNED MONEY NOW!" One of the thugs screamed as he jumped from his table. Every thing started to go into slow motion. Maria standing there, a few feet away, yelling something... Liz... standing in the back... frozen... Michael... just sitting across from me, totally stunned... The thug... with a familiar grin on his face...

Ohcrapohdamnohcrapohdamngogogogogogogo! The thoughts raced though my head as I jumped up and ran full speed towards Liz, who was standing towards the back, watching the men in shock. I could only feel my heart beating as I tackled Liz to the floor.

BANG! The gunshot rang out at the moment Liz and I hit the floor with a thud. Quickly thinking, I tightened my hold on Liz and rolled with her until we were underneath were behind the counter. I held on tight to Liz, feeling her body shake in fear underneath mine.

"Are you okay?" I whispered quietly as my face was just inches above hers.

Liz nodded. "I'm okay Max."

Thank god. I looked at her again, alive and beautiful as ever. "Just stay here, okay? Keep low and just stay behind this." I whispered and moved my body off of hers. I carefully extended my powers, peeking out around the corner. The thug was pointing the gun at Maria!

And the thug wasn't any ordinary thug... the thug was Nasedo.

From behind the counter, I was furious. Nasedo wasn't playing fair and it was my future that was at stake. I quickly peeked out from around the corner of the counter and I still saw Nasedo with his gun aimed at Maria. Maria, was standing motionless, completely scared. My heart went out to her, but I knew as soon as I left the safety of the counter, Nasedo would probably shoot Maria or me. Suddenly, I caught a small movement from the corner of my eye. Michael! He must of slipped underneath the table when the shooting started. C'mon on Michael, I silently prayed, please save Maria. Michael was crouched low and I didn't think Nasedo saw him as he slid around so he was completely hidden in the dark. C'mon Michael...

As I watched Michael move, I felt Liz slide in beside me, peeking around the corner as well.

"What's happening Max?" She whispered.

"I guess we're being held hostage, Liz... Maria and Michael are still out there."

"Maria!" Liz gasped and peeked around, seeing her best friend with a gun pointed directly at her. I turned to look at Liz, whose tears were starting to drip down her cheeks onto the floor. Quickly, I pulled Liz into my arms and held her as she quietly cried for Maria. Liz was still Liz, in any time, reality, whatever. I couldn't stand to see her in pain.

As I held her, I noticed the cordless phone sitting on one of the shelves under the counter top. "Here Liz, call 911." I said as I handed the phone to her. Liz nodded, slid out of my arms (darn!) and quietly dialed.

Around the other side of the counter, I could still hear Nasedo talk. "You there... Blondie... you'd better stay still and not doing anything stupid because I'll kill you right here and now!" He yelled. "And you, you bastard... Where's my money!"

I watched Maria nod as Nasedo yelled at everything and everyone. Suddenly, I saw Michael start to inch forward, out from underneath his table. That's it Michael, surprise him, you got it Michael... I mentally cheered him on. "Max... The police will be here in 5 minutes." Liz abruptly whispered from behind me.

Five minutes? Would Michael save Maria by then? C'mon Michael, be the hero.

I could see Michael's fists clench as he slid forward, signaling his anger. Michael suddenly glanced over and saw me peeking out from the counter. He smirked and shook his head at me... typical Michael. I believe in you, Michael.

Suddenly, Michael sprung from the table and launched himself at Nasedo. And from there, everything went back into the slow-mo replay. It was almost like one of those nightmares where you know everything is going wrong and you can't stop any of it... Michael hit Nasedo with a thud and they both fell to the floor. The gun flew across the room; drinks flew everywhere as they hit a table on the way down. They were wrestling and rolling around, as Maria still stood near them, motionless. Michael somehow, managed to throw a punch into Nasedo's face... causing him to shout in pain as his nose broke. Thick red blood spurted over Michael's white t-shirt.

By this time, I had managed to run over and grab Maria's arm. "C'mon Maria... Let's get out of here."

"No way!! That son of a bitch! I'm not going to get a tip and he scared the HELL out of me!!" Maria yelled. She strode over to the rolling forms of Michael and Nasedo and with a quick kick to the side of Nasedo, distracted him long enough for Michael to pin him to the ground. (Yes, I almost felt like it was the Roswellian form of the WWF. Where's the Rock? Triple H? Should I go grab a chair?)

"Max!" Michael yelled over all the screaming from other customers. "Would you stop standing there and give me a hand?"

With a grin, I picked up a skillet (think Denny's) and walked over to where Michael had Nasedo pinned. Kneeling down to look at his broken nose, I smirked. "Seems like the shoe is on the other foot, eh? Who's in charge now?" I whispered.

"F--- you." Nasedo spit out. "You'll get what's coming to you. You think you'll win this round... Just WAIT." He thrashed around on the ground, still trying to break free.

"Why don't you wait." I muttered and with a loud, satisfying thud, I took the skillet and brought it down on Nasedo's head, knocking him unconscious.

**********

The entire Crashdown Café was in a state of utter chaos when Sheriff Valenti and a troop of Roswell's finest arrived on the scene minutes later. People were crying, Michael and I were trying to keep Nasedo from thrashing about, Liz's father was on the phone, and Liz and Maria were sitting at the counter amongst it all.

Pinning Nasedo down by his shoulders, I looked over my shoulder at Liz and Maria. Both of them seemed stunned by what had just happened. Maria had one arm slung around Liz's shoulders and was quietly talking to her.

"Uh, excuse me gentlemen..." Sheriff Valenti said as he loomed above Michael and I. "I think we can handle it from here." I stood up quietly, noticing that the Sheriff still hadn't removed the mirrored sunglasses from his eyes. Michael stood up from behind me and ran a hand through his spiky hair. I knew that Michael felt uncomfortable about being too close to the Sheriff any point in time during his life. I nodded my head at the Sheriff, but before Michael and I could make our way out of the Crashdown, the Sheriff called us again. "Gentlemen... Please don't leave just yet. I still need to take statements from both of you. Why don't you go and stand by the young ladies?" The Sheriff pointed to where Maria and Liz were standing.

Hey, thanks Sheriff. No problems on my part... In fact, you made my life a lot easier. Michael on the other hand, wasn't too thrilled about staying. "Max." He urgently whispered as we made our way through the mass of deputies and random people. "I don't like this. I don't like the Sheriff, I don't like how you're too calm about all of this..."

Plastering a concerned look on my face for the girls, I quickly hissed to Michael, "Michael, it would be weird if we left. Just act... normal... human..." We finally reached the countertop where Maria and Liz were sitting quietly.

Michael snorted. "Human. Thanks a lot Maxwell."

"Hi Liz, Maria. Are you guys okay?" I asked, concerned. Liz's face was full of worry as she sat on a lone barstool. She brought a shaky hand up to her face and absentmindedly tucked a stand of hair behind her ear.

"Well... I'm pissed that I had to wait on Beavis and Butthead and I didn't even get a tip." Maria grumbled.

Michael snorted again from behind me.

Liz just stared straight-ahead and sighed. Immediately starting to worry, I walked over and wrapped one arm gently around her shoulders and gave her a small squeeze. "It's okay, Liz." I whispered into her ear, "Please, don't worry about this."

Liz suddenly jumped up and ran for the back of the Crashdown. Maria started to go after her, but I held out my arm. "Maria. I'll go and talk to her." I could feel the intense look in my eyes as I stared into Maria's curious blue eyes.

Maria smirked. "Hmph. She's all yours, Max." She turned around to stare at Michael. "And as for you..." I hear Maria say as I started to walk after Liz. Hmmm... I thought as I left the scene. I'll have to ask Michael what happened later.

I walked to the back of the Crashdown, behind in the pantry-room where it was quiet and free from the racket of people currently occupying the Crashdown. Suddenly, I could hear the soft sobs coming from behind a stack of strawberry crates. Peering over the edge, I saw Liz with her knees locked up against her chest. I dropped down on to my knees and scooted over near Liz so I could talk to her. "Hey." I whispered

"Hey." Liz whispered back and smiled at me.

I moved over so that I was in a sitting position next to her. "Are you okay? I mean, I understand that you must be freaked about what happened, the gun, Na.. the thug.."

"Yeah." Liz shrugged, but then she turned to face me. "But Max... I think I'm in shock because you saved me. I mean, you totally saved me. When you and Michael were fighting with that thug, I went and saw where the bullet hit in the wall... it hit right behind where I was standing..." Liz smiled at me. "Thank you Max... You saved my life."

I was completely floored. I knew there was a reason why I loved this girl and that was it. Liz Parker, so caring and fantastic. She looked at me with complete and total trust when she spoke to me. The trust that I knew she was capable of, after all she protects my secret, trusted the three of us during crazy plans and did everything under her power to protect us. I love this girl. I knew it in third grade and I know it now.

"You're welcome, Liz." I looked at Liz nervously. "I didn't want you to get hurt... I couldn't bear it... if you were hurt today." I smiled at her.

"Max..." Liz breathed. "I don't know what's happening... but..." Liz leaned in and kissed me on the cheek gently. "But, I don't care." I could smell her strawberry and vanilla perfume, the soft feel of her lips on my cheek, the look in her soft brown eyes as she thanked me...

"Hey!" I heard Maria shout from the outside the pantry room. "The sheriff... yeah, remember him? Tall? Mirrored glasses? Wears a badge? Yeah, him... well, he needs to talk to the four of us now."

I stood and stuck out my right hand to help Liz. I pulled her up to her feet and together we walked out into the Crashdown, ready to talk to Sheriff Valenti.

~~~~~~Michael and Maria Interlude~~~~~~~~~

Maria smirked. "Hmph. She's all yours, Max." She turned around to stare at Michael. "And as for you..."

Michael raised an eyebrow at Maria. "Yes?"

"Thanks for beating the crap out of that guy and saving my butt." Maria said, staring intently at Michael.

Michael was surprised by Maria, he had never thought that anyone could be thankful for something he had done. Usually, everyone was always saying he did something wrong, his teachers, Isabel and Max, Hank... No one was ever... pleased over something he had done... but this small pixie of a girl... was actually thanking him.

"Uhhhh... You're welcome." Michael muttered and kicked at some dirt on the ground. He ran his hand through his hair nervously.

"Oh!" Maria said, noticing how swollen, bruised and cut Michael's right hand was. "Let me get some ice for your hand. It must hurt like hell." She reached out and gently held Michael's hand in hers. The knuckles were red and bruised from Michael punching the thug. Maria could see that they were starting to swell.

Michael found himself enjoying the feel of Maria's soft hands running over his bruised one... until he remembered... Michael pulled his hand out of Maria's and grumbled, "It's okay. It doesn't hurt at all."

"Oh... c'mon." Maria tsked and grabbed for his hand again.

Michael was about to say no when he remembered Max talking about dating humans. He looked into Maria's blue eyes and only saw caring tenderness for him. "Alright." He grumbled as Maria walked around the counter and grabbed a bag of ice. "So, how did you know to punch him like that?" She asked while she was filling the bag.

"A-Team reruns." Michael said as he sat on a barstool.

Maria laughed. "You lie."

"I'm serious." Michael said. "It was either from A-Team or Batman reruns." He smiled a half-smile at Maria. Michael couldn't believe he was enjoying the conversation with the same girl he had called "Dogface" in 5th grade. Maybe, he thought, that same special feeling I had about her back then will come back. "Dogface..." Michael muttered.

"Please. Cheeto-brain." Maria said with a laugh. "You didn't think that I could forget 5th grade with you? I never had so much fun staying after-school as I did almost every afternoon with you."

Michael smirked at her. "Yeah, teasing you definitely made 5th grade bearable." Maria leaned across the countertop and pressed the cold bag of ice to Michael's hurt hand. She felt him jump at the cold of the ice and held his wrist so she could keep the ice on his hand. Maria was surprised that Michael Guerin, the same one from 5th grade didn't seem as bad as everyone in school said he was. Maria looked up into his eyes and smiled at him...

Is it just me or can I feel sparks between us? Maria thought. Is it just me or is this little pixie something special? Michael thought.

Michael smiled back and was about to say something when Sheriff Valenti called for the four of them to come to the small booth he was sitting at in the front of the Crashdown.

Maria sighed... "I'll go and get Liz and Max." She jumped up and walked towards the back of the Crashdown, dropping an ice cube down the front of her shirt when her back was turned to Michael.

~~~~~~~End of Interlude~~~~~~~~~~~~

The four of us talked to Sheriff Valenti for an hour, answering all of his questions. I was surprised, but I realized throughout the conversation that I was no longer scared of Sheriff Valenti. It almost seemed like he was just trying to help us... in my time, and here he was just the Town Sheriff trying to get all the facts. Michael and Maria, Liz and I answered all the questions, truthfully this time.

When it was over, we all seemed relieved. And I knew that maybe this would be the best time to ask the question that might be the trick to getting Liz and I together and maybe even Michael and Maria as well.

"Do you guys want to all go to the movies Saturday night?" I blurted out.

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.