Fanfic - Other Roswell Stories
"Sibling Rivalry"
Part 7
by Karen
Disclaimer: Wish I owned stock in UPN; glad I don't own stock in WB; don't own any of these characters either.
Summary: Isabel and Max part on bad terms, which can only lead to bad things.
Category: Other Roswell Stories
Rating: PG-13
Author's Note: Feedback always appreciated! Enjoy!
"So, you think they were enemies from our home?" Michael asked as he crunched a piece of popcorn.

Max nodded and folded his USA Today in half. They were sitting near Gate B of the Albuquerque airport, waiting for Isabel's flight to arrive. "That's the best I can guess," he told Michael. "Somehow they found Tess, or Tess found them, and they came after us." He frowned. "I guess we'll never know the whole story since they are all gone now."

Michael shook his head and spit a kernel into a napkin. "Is this the way it's going to be, Max? Are we going to have to constantly be on our guard?"

Max shook his head. "I don't know. Maybe. We don't know who's out there, waiting for us."

Michael watched his friend stare into the distance. He sighed. "But Liz came through for us, didn't she?" Michael knew that any mention of Liz would bring Max back to a happy place.

"Yeah, she did," he said smiling.

"How is she feeling?"

Max gave a little shrug. "She's tired. It really drained her." Max thought of taking her home, having to almost carry her up the steps because she was so exhausted. He'd bathed her, kissed her head and tucked her into bed. When she was asleep, he'd formed a connection and made sure that their activities hadn't been too much of a strain on her body. He couldn't bear to think that Liz would be damaged trying to protect them. But she was a strong, healthy girl, and her powers were increasing every day. With a smile, he'd broken the connection and had stayed with her for a few hours while she slept. He'd sat away from her, in her rocker and just watched in wonder at the woman who was willing to sacrifice so much for him. "She'll be okay," Max reassured Michael.

"Good," Michael said, relieved. He wouldn't ask because it was a private matter, but Michael knew that Max had checked Liz out to make sure she was all right.

Both boys looked up as the desk attendant removed the rope from the entrance of the jet way. As they got to their feet, Michael put a hand on Max's shoulder.

"Look," Michael began, "I know this probably goes without saying, but go easy on her, okay?"

Max only smiled back.

Countless unfamiliar faces came down the jet way until they spied Isabel, tall, blond and beautiful. Both of them broke into a wide grin as her eyes settled on them. She smiled also and stepped into Michael's waiting arms, her carry-on bag dropping to the floor. Michael held her so tightly she felt she'd never breathe again. He didn't want to let her go for fear she'd see the tears that were in his eyes.

When she did finally pull away, she found herself unable to look at Max and stared at the floor instead. Michael shot Max a worried look and stepped out of the way. Max moved in before Isabel and waited a beat, to see if she would look at him. One of her hands went to her mouth - she was biting her nails. Max reached out and touched her cheek, then lifted her chin so she would look at him. They stared silently for a few moments, then Isabel's bottom lip quivered and she started to cry. Max opened his arms for her, inviting her and she cautiously put her arms around him.

There was nothing cautious about Max's embrace. He crushed her to him and Isabel was suddenly filled with the part of her that had been missing. She let out a little cry and her tears streamed down her cheeks. Max buried his face in her hair and rocked her while she wept. No apologies were necessary.

"You said you wouldn't come for me," she whispered against his ear.

"I lied," he whispered in return.

Isabel gave a little laugh and pulled away from him, kissed him on the cheek. Max slung his arm around her shoulder as Michael bent to retrieve her bag. Isabel glanced around them.

"Where's Liz?" she asked, concerned.

"She's resting," Max explained and Isabel looked more worried. "I wore her out," he bragged.

Isabel hesitated, thrown off for a moment, then burst out laughing.

"What's so funny?" Max asked. "You don't think I could wear out my girlfriend?"

She shook her head. "That's the problem, Max - I think you could and I think she'd let you."

Max smiled broadly. It felt good to be here, his sister and brother by his side, joking. The animosity had been washed away, the damaged had been repaired. He tightened his grip around her shoulders, glanced at Michael, then started to steer them to the parking lot.

"Come on," Max urged gently. "Let's go home."

THE END

Part 6 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.