FanFic - Other
"Sexual Temptations"
Part 16
by Jez
Disclaimer: I don't own a thing (but if I did, I wouldn't share Michael =0P)
Summary: In the mid 1800's, Father Maxwell Evans arrives in America...
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Based Nehal's Sexual Temptations Challenge
I close the door to the church behind me. Kyle and Tess stand together, arms wrapped around each other. Maria and her parents look at me in shock from deeper inside the church.

"DA!"

I nearly fall backwards as Rhiannon launches herself into my arms, Thomas following close behind her. I wrap my arms around my children, pulling them closer.

"Da, I knew that you would come back! I waited and waited for you to come and. . . " I laugh as Rhiannon rambles on, tears running from her overjoyed eye and arms never loosening their hold around my neck. Thomas clutches my arm tightly, and I smile to assure him. ". . . and Aunt Isabel went away too, but I don't think that she'll come back soon, because Alexander is in trouble and -- " I clamp my hand over her mouth.

"Rhiannon, your tongue is going to fall off if you talk any faster." I set her on the ground and look towards my pixie wife. Her father holds her arm tightly, eyeing me warily. Smiling hesitantly at me, Maria wipes crystalline tears from her porcelain cheek.

"What are you doing back so soon, Michael." I step forward, cautiously keeping one eye trained on my father-in-law.

"I saw my sister. She told me that Thomas was sick." I gesture to my son. "Obviously, it was an over exaggeration, but I am glad that I came home. I heard about Father Whitman." I look at Kyle and Tess. My friend gives me a nod of encouragement as Tess smiles in welcome. "It seems that this is a good time for revelations." Mr. Deluca's glare darkens.

"I suppose that there is a reason you said that looking directly at me, Mr. Guerin. Get on with it, boy." I run my hands through my hair, trying to build up my confidence.

"Sir, let me start by stating that I know. I know about the reputation I have acquired, and I know how you feel about me. I assure you that it has never been my intention to anger you or any other." I take in a breath, fixing my gaze on Maria's radiant eyes. I can feel the strength of a thousand men fill me, all taken from the deep ocean of her unblemished soul. "Mr. Deluca, Mrs. Deluca, I am in love with your daughter."

"I am not blind, Mr. Guerin. I know this already." His dismissive tone takes a toll on my newfound confidence, but I force my voice to work.

"But what you do not know is that Maria is my wife." Mrs. Deluca gasps, and I rush to finish what I have come to say before my father-in-law's anger sets in. "We were married by Father Evans soon after Judge Valenti and yourself decided to rush your children's nuptials. Kyle was married to Tess that very same day."

I pause, letting the Delucas process the new information. Rhiannon's tiny hands grasp mine, and I smile at her gesture of reassurance. "Sir, I know that I have a unfavorable reputation, and that I do not fare as well as other suitors might, but what I lack in estimation and wealth is by far made up for with love. I cherish Maria more than myself. I cannot promise to give her riches, but I can promise that I will give her all the happiness that she deserves."

Mr. Deluca steps away from his family, circling me like a hawk to his prey. Maria jumps forward and places a hand on his arm. "Father -- " Pushing her away gently, Mr. Deluca takes in a deep breath. I hold my own breath as he looks me directly in the eye.

I stand in shock as the silver-haired man wraps his arms around me. "Welcome to the family, son." My Maria squeals joyously and throws her arms around my neck. Laughing shakily in relief, I let my beautiful siren pull my lips down to her own as she bounces happily beside me. Turning to face him, I smile at Mr. Deluca.

"Thank you, sir. I swear on my life that you will never come to regret this day." The warmth falls from his face as he looks at me sternly.

"You had better hope that you live up to my expectations, Michael. You do not be on the receiving end of my wrath." I nod silently. Shaking his head, Mr. Deluca's face breaks out into a smile. "Well, I suppose that I should buy your herd of horses so that you might stay to plan a proper wedding to my daughter. And I suppose that Mr. Valenti and his wife require one themselves." He holds his hand out to Mrs. Deluca. "Come, my love. Let us leave the young lovers to their own."

I bury my face in Maria's golden curls as her parents leave the church. Her aroma floats on the air delicately around me, and I bask in her ethereal glow. Maria pulls away abruptly and places her hands on her hips.

"Do not think that I will allow you to disappear on me again, Michael Guerin. Now that you are the heir of an entire vineyard, I expect that you will find safer ways to go about your cause. And -- " Maria lets herself be silenced as I cover her mouth with my own. She purrs contentedly as I find Heaven in her arms. Feeling myself being pulled away, I turn to glare at Kyle. He only grins back as a response.

"Do not worry, Maria. It was our plan all along to gain control of my father's plantation. With his land, we can take in more slaves and treat them with kindness and respect. They will be safe on our land until Alexander and Isabel can lead them to freedom." Tess snuggles under his arm, Andrew resting against her bosom. I lift Rhiannon onto my shoulders and take my wife's hand. Together, my family and I walk out of the church to greet the day.

***

"Are you all right?" I stand facing a statue of the Virgin Mary, where my delicate seraph sits silently. She nods her head slowly.

"I am fine, Maxwell. Just a little shaken." My Elizabeth looks up at me with her endless chocolate eyes as I place a hand on her shoulder. "What will you do now?" Sighing, I look to the serene likeness of the mother of my Lord and God.

"I do not know." A small smile fleets across her roseate lips.

"There is always an opening at St. Patrick's Cathedral. We could use a good man such as yourself to guide our people." I shake my head and kneel beside her, taking in her eyes at full strength.

"My place is not with the church. The priesthood is not for me." I brush back a few strands of her lustrous hair underneath her scarf as tiny streams of tears flow freely from her eyes.

"I could go with you. We could be together and -- " I kiss away her tears gently, shushing her quietly.

"Elizabeth, this is what you love. This church, these people. I cannot take this away from you." I pull back, resting my palms against her cheeks. "I love you so much, Elizabeth. You are what makes life special to me. Just knowing that you are out there, alive and well, will fill me with more light than any God. We are destined, you and I. No matter what happens in this life, our souls are joined forever. We will meet again in the next life." With one final kiss, I walk away, trying to memorize her features as I go.

It is true what I told her. We are destined. And when I sleep at night, I will always see an eternity of lifetimes -- thousands of years worth of love and pain -- all leading back to one perfect soul who will fill me with all the joy and happiness that one person can handle. I do not need this life with her. I have forever.

As I walk past random people scattered through town, I feel at peace. For the first time in a long time, there is no tarnishes to my soul. My Elizabeth gave me the perfect gift. She brought me to life. And I will always cherish her memory for it. She is my heart -- my psyche; together, we are one -- and I will meet her again. It is written in the stars, carved in the deepest recesses of time. This is not the end.

"MAXWELL!"

I spin around and watch the glowing beauty float towards me, her dainty feet hardly meeting the ground in the most gentle caress. "Elizabeth?" My love throws her arms around my neck, burying her face in the crook of my shoulder.

"I do not want you to go." She looks up at me, her eyes shimmering in their sincerity. "I love you. This life means nothing to me without you by my side." I pull her arms from around my neck and push her away.

"I am sorry, Elizabeth. I would be honored to be with you, but what I would take away in return would end up hurting you more than I can bear." Turning again, I walk away with the full intention of never looking back again.

~*1 YEAR LATER*~

I smile softly as Michael and his family approach me, Rhiannon, and Andrew running wildly around their parents to the melody of Thomas' violin.

"ELIZABETH! Look at our feet! We were stomping grapes for the wine!" I laugh as I take in the purple stains on the children's feet.

"I see that, Rhiannon." I hold my arms out to Maria, taking the small baby from her arms. Little Isabel stares up at me with her hazel eyes. "Hello, sweetheart." Michael laughs at me, holding young Amelia Valenti in his arms.

"She was not so sweet an hour ago. You should have seen the fuss she made. She gets that from her mother." He winks at Maria as she hits him lightly in the arm. She turns to face me, her face lustrous with a mother's pride.

"Is Tess finished teaching inside?" I nod my head.

"Why don't you take the children in to see her. I am sure that she will not mind." With one last kiss from Michael, Maria ushers the children through the door. I lift Isabel higher against my chest.

"Have you finished the sign for me yet, Michael." He grins and nods towards the wagon. I take his free hand in my own and walk over to it.

"Now remember, lassie, it is nothing spectacular. I do train horses and help run a vineyard, not to mention being the father of four children and husband to Virginia's most energetic wife." I pull back the tarp and take a breath.

"Michael, it's marvelous."

I smile fondly, tracing the intricately carved floral design around the wording: The Elizabeth Evans Orphanage.

"Maxwell will love it."

~*The End*~

Part 15 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.