FanFic - Other
"Playing With Fire"
Part 1
by Love
Disclaimer: I don't own "Roswell" in any way. New character is a figment of my imagination.
Summary: There's a new girl with a very dark secret (no, she's not an alien) in Roswell who Liz quickly takes to, but who gets on the rest of the gang's bad side. Starts with: Tess/Max, Isabel/Michael.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
She looked around the town that was to be her new home. How she hated it! It was small and dusty and hot; she didn't want anything to do with this little tourist town. Yet she knew she must stay there. She had a mission, and she was going to complete it if it killed her. She prayed, let's hope it doesn't come to that... "Order's up!" Liz Parker groaned as she lifted the plate that had been put on the counter. She dreaded going to the table the food belonged to.

"You want me to take that?" Maria DeLuca's voice was sudden, but she was too tired to be startled. She turned around and nodded.

"You don't mind?"

"Nope. As long as you take that one over there." She nodded her head to the table in the corner where her ex-boyfriend Michael Guerin sat with his girlfriend. Liz grinned knowingly at Maria and nodded.

"Deal." The giggled at the irony of the situation and exchanged plates. Liz walked over to Michael's table and put the plates down in front of him and Isabel Evans. Just looking at Isabel hurt. She was Liz's ex-boyfriend, Max's, sister. That's why she had exchanged plates with Maria. So she wouldn't have to go through the pain. She forced a smile. "Can I get you guys anything else?" She pulled out her order pad, but Michael shook his head.

"Nope. We're good." He gave Liz a "look." Liz took the hint and walked back to the kitchen. In order to this, she had to pass Max and Tess' table. She forced herself not to look, but she had to stop and turn around when she heard,

"Liz!" Her heartbeat sped up when she heard Max's voice. Does he want me back? She knew it was irrational, but she couldn't help thinking it. But when she saw how close he was to Tess, she knew it was impossible. Once again, she forced a smile on her lips.

"Hi guys." She knew it sounded forced because Max winced. Tess just smiled smugly. Liz's hand itched to slap her in her smug little face, but she held back the urge, knowing that violence would do no good. Max noticed this, and he quickly spoke to release the tension.

"I was just wondering...did you get the bio homework?" Blankly, Liz nodded. "Could you help me on it?" Liz looked down at him in surprise. They had hardly muttered two words to each other since their break up six months before. "Liz?" Max was looking at her expectantly. Liz snapped herself out of her trance.

"Uh, sure. No problem. When do you want to meet?" Tess' eyes were jealous, and Liz felt a pang of triumph. Max looked at Tess, then back at Liz.

"Tomorrow?" It was a question, not a statement. Liz nodded.

"Yeah. Where?"

"Bio lab?" Liz nodded again.

"See you then." She turned and walked away, colliding with the girl behind her. "Oh my God! I'm so sorry!" She bent down to collect the papers the girl had dropped. The girl smiled.

"No problem. By the way, my name is Dawn." Liz regarded her with surprise.

"The new girl?"

Dawn just laughed. "You've heard of me?"

Liz felt herself blushing as she explained. "In a school the size of West Roswell, everything gets around."

Dawn nodded understandingly. "This is the first time I've ever moved, but I know when new people used to some to my old school, everyone knew about it." Liz found herself liking this new girl. She was easygoing and fun. She had strawberry-blonde hair that looked as if it had some highlights in it. Her eyes were a bright vibrant blue and she was tall and lean, towering at least three inches over the tops of Liz's head. She was wearing a black miniskirt with a black leather halter-top. On her feet were knee-high black boots. It was definitely not a Roswell outfit. Dawn laughed when she noticed Liz's look. "I moved from California. I haven't actually had time to go shopping for clothes so I can fit in around here. I just got here two days ago and thought that I'd check out everything after I got settled in." She looked around the Crashdown. "Do you work here?" She shifted her books to her other arm and looked at Liz questioningly.

"Yeah. My parents own the place."

"Really?" Dawn's voice was distant, as if she cared, but she had something else on her mind.

"Yeah. Um, if you're looking for a job, we have places available for waitresses." Dawn looked back at her, her eyes sparkling.

"That'd be great! I need some place I can work. I have to earn my own money so I can buy my own things, etc., etc., etc. Another reason why I don't have new clothes." She gave Liz a hideous look and Liz burst into giggles. She leaned against the counter for support. Dawn looked at her and laughed. "You okay?" Her voice was teasing and her face was lit up. Liz nodded as the spell finally ended and she was able to regain her composure. Dawn looked around the cafe and her gaze stopped on Max and Tess who were staring at them in amusement. She glared back at them, then turned back to Liz. "What's their problem?" She jerked her head in Max and Tess' direction and Liz's face fell.

"It's a long story." Her voice was quiet and her eyes bright with unshed tears. Dawn immediately felt sorry for bringing the subject up, and hurried to make Liz feel better.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. Besides, those two, uh uh. They don't look good together. She's too blonde for him. You on the other hand," she put her finger on her chin in a mock gesture. "You would look awesome with him. I bet you did at one time." She said it quietly, and Liz started to walk back towards the kitchen. Liz didn't answer the question and Dawn didn't press the subject. Maria was back at the kitchen, pouring water into a glass.

"Maria, this is Dawn. She's new." Dawn gave Maria a warm smile and Maria smiled back. "She's going to work here with us." Maria nodded knowingly.

"Glad we're going to have the extra help. God knows we need it." She made a large, exaggerated gesture with her hands towards the crowded restaurant. Dawn laughed. She liked this girl already. Dawn turned back to the solemn Liz.

"When can I start?" Liz looked at her, surprised at the sudden voice.

"The question is, how soon can you start?" Maria answered the question for Liz. Dawn turned and looked at her questioningly.

"Uh, right now, I guess." Liz shook her head.

"No. It's your first night. Why don't you start tomorrow night? Can you be here at 3:00? That's right after school." Dawn's head bobbed up and down vigorously.

"Yeah."

"Good. We'll show you the ropes and we open at 4:00. I'll give you your uniform tomorrow."

"Awesome. I guess I'll see you guys tomorrow then?" Maria and Liz nodded and Dawn turned around and walked out the door. Maria turned to Liz.

"I like her."

Dawn stopped on the sidewalk outside the Crashdown, looking in on the scene in the cafe. I told you I'd find her, she told the voice in her brain. And I did. Now it's time for me to get my work done. She turned from the window and walked down the dark street.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.