FanFic - Other
"Out of the Woods"
Part 18
by Kath7
Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters. I am just borrowing them. Lyrics to songs by Joe Cocker and Amanda Marshall.
Summary: This story is derived from a challenge from Actrez. The gang heads back to Fraser Woods (from Into the Woods) during their junior year. Tess and Michael join the Evans, while Maria goes with the Parkers. This story is post-Destiny. Liz had just returned from a lengthy stay in England. She returns to find a completely different Max and Michael.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
When Liz returned to the campsite with the others, she found that she could not sit still.

Her dad and the Sheriff had appeared a few moments after they returned, perplexed expressions on their faces. Kyle, Tess and Liz all glanced at each other guiltily...they realized that they had totally deserted the dads at the lake, waiting for them to come back with their scavenger hunt items.

"What happened honey?" Mr. Parker asked Liz. "We waited for you guys for an hour...Jim and I were starting to get worried."

The Sheriff was staring at Kyle suspiciously. Valenti knew that something was going on...and Liz could tell that he was beginning to get hurt that none of them had confided in him yet. She knew that Kyle was in for a serious grilling the minute the Sheriff got his son alone.

"I'm sorry Dad. We found a waterfall and sort of got distracted." Tess shot her a look.

"I didn't know there was a waterfall in Fraser Woods?" He looked at the Sheriff for confirmation. Sheriff Valenti narrowed his eyes, finally nodded.

"Yeah, there is...a small one." Liz sent him a relieved smile.

"So who's cooking dinner?" Mr. Parker asked cheerfully. One of the things Liz loved most about her dad was that he was totally incapable of holding a grudge. Liz had explained things and he was satisfied. It made her guilt ten times worse. She wondered if she was ever going to attend a Father's Camping weekend where she actually spent time with her dad.

Tess and Kyle had agreed to help Mr. Parker with the food. Liz went and sat on a log near the woods, hoping that Max would soon appear with Maria and Michael in tow...she felt antsy and worried...Max had tried to hide it, but he been really concerned by the fact that Michael and Maria were alone together. She just knew he was...

What is wrong with Michael? Liz wondered for what felt the thousandth time. She jumped up and began pacing. She saw Isabel and Alex standing together near the tress, Izzy clearly as worried as Liz, Alex talking to her quietly, holding her hand.

At that moment, Pam Troy appeared from the tent she was sharing with her dad. She marched right up to Liz and glared at her. "Where's Max?"

Liz blinked - remembered that she and Max were still supposed to be on bad terms. "How should I know?" Liz snapped, trying hard to hide how much she disliked this girl.

"You're wasting your time if you think that you're going to get him back Parker." Pam smirked at her. "Everyone knows that he dumped you like last year's trash after he realized what a boring little nerd you really are."

Liz tried to control her temper. She turned away. "Whatever you say Pam..." Liz started to walk towards Alex and Isabel when she suddenly realized that Pam had grabbed her ponytail. Liz's head jerked back.

"Don't you walk away from me you little whore!" Pam snarled. Liz could see Alex and Isabel's horrified expressions as they caught sight of what was happening. Mr. Evans, standing about ten feet away, seemed frozen.

Pam yanked again. Liz felt herself falling...before she knew it she was staring straight up at the darkening sky.

"What the hell is going on here?" Liz was still in shock. She could not believe that Pam Troy had actually just physically attacked her. It took her a minute to realize that the voice she heard belonged to Max.

Liz climbed to her knees, massaging her scalp. She eyed Max worriedly. The expression on his face...it was terrifying.

She was relieved to see that he was NOT looking at her though. "Liz are you okay?" His tone was even.

"Yeah Max."

Max walked up to Pam, stared at her. "Can you explain what I just witnessed?"

Liz could see that Pam was totally confused. "I don't understand..."

"Did I or did I not just see you lay hands on Liz?" Max asked, his tone cold.

"She was bugging me Max - telling me that you didn't really love me..." Pam whined, trailing off when she saw that Max's expression had not changed.

Liz glanced at Mr. Evans. Max's dad's face was blank. He was watching the little scene unfolding dumbfounded. He clearly had no idea what to expect from his son.

Max grabbed Pam by the hand, hauling her off into the bush. Isabel and Alex rushed to Liz's side. "Are you okay Liz?" Isabel asked.

"SHHH!" Liz held up her hand. She quickly followed Max and Pam into the woods. "I want to hear this." Isabel and Alex exchanged looks, Alex suddenly grinning.

"Lead on Iz." Isabel smiled back, followed Liz.

The three friends did not have to go far. Max had obviously not wanted to do whatever it was he was going to do in public...but Liz had to hear it for herself. She knew Max wouldn't mind.

"Max, what's going on?" Pam was beginning to sound worried. "Are you mad at me about something?"

Max glared at her. "No Pam, I am not mad at you. I'm furious. Can you please explain to me what you thought you were doing?"

"I was defending my good name against that trollop." Pam replied. "I heard her telling your sister and Alex that it's only a matter of time before she steals you back from me." Liz was amazed at the ease with which Pam lied.

Max sighed. Liz thought he sounded annoyed that he had to deal with this at all. She couldn't help but be a little pleased. He deserved to suffer a little for the behavior the rest of them had had to put up with. "I hate to have to tell you this Pam. Liz can't steal someone who already belongs to her."

"What??" Pam screeched.

"I love Liz. I never stopped." Max explained. "And if I ever see you speak to her again, let alone touch her, I will have my sister ruin you...and you know she can do it...."

Liz looked at Isabel in wonder. "I didn't know Max had it in him." Isabel whispered to Liz, grinning.

"Would you do it Isabel?" Liz asked.

Isabel grinned. "Of course I would." She glanced at Alex, who raised an eyebrow at her warningly. "Liz, you have no idea some of the stuff she's been saying about you..."

Liz felt ill. She could just imagine. She had been Pam Troy's victim for too long..."Don't tell me...I don't want to know." Liz said finally.

She turned back to Pam and Max. She almost felt sorry for Pam, who looked devastated.

She could see Max beginning to soften. She knew that it went totally against his nature to be mean to anyone. His expression hardened again when Pam flew at him, tried to claw at his face. "You bastard!"

Max grabbed her quite easily. "Please don't ever speak to me again." He said wearily, setting her away from him.

"You'll pay for this Max Evans." Pam hissed at him.

"Being with you was payment enough," Max replied. "I mean it Pam. Stay away from Liz. You have never seen me truly angry...and you never want to..." He narrowed his eyes at her.

Pam screamed in frustration, ran off towards the campsite.

Liz, Alex and Isabel stepped out from the bushes, joined Max, who looked drained and still mad. Liz went directly into his arms, hugged him comfortingly.

"Thank you Max." She said simply.

"I just can't pretend anymore Liz...it's too hard." He looked over her head at Isabel and Alex. "I couldn't find Michael or Maria anywhere." Liz tensed, felt Max begin to stroke her hair, trying to reassure her.

Isabel eyed her brother. "So the pretending is over then?" She asked. "You can talk to dad?" Max nodded. Alex put his arms around Izzy when tears filled her eyes in relief.

"We don't have time for that right now though." Max sounded regretful. "Michael knows that I told you guys something. I don't know how he knows, but I'm sure he does. I think he's taken Maria to get me to join him..." Max explained tiredly.

"Join you where Max?" Liz asked confused.

"In hell..." Max replied, shaking his head.

Part 17 | Index | Part 19
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.