FanFic - Other
"One Night Forever"
Part 10
by Mslayer713
Disclaimer: I don't own 'em.
Category: Other
Rating: R
Kyle Valenti parked his cheery red mustang and walked the rest of the way to the old radio tower. He glanced around, but was alone. "Damn..." He scoffed at the ground in frustration and finally noticed the tire tracks in the sandy earth.

"Jack pot," He said softly as he took off in the direction they went. After walking for a few minutes, he cursed again as the tracks stopped and he was still alone. Kyle wasn't sure if they had stopped the jeep here or if the wind had blown away the rest of the evidence, but they were long gone by now.

Kyle looked out over the cliff and sighed. This was hopeless. There wasn't anyone here. He started the long track back to his car. About halfway there, he heard a noise in the distance and looked to see a black horse running across the desert with two riders. Kyle squinted his eyes and tried to see who was on it, but they were too far away. He thought about following them, but they weren't on a path. If he got left behind, he'd be lost.

He climbed back into his car, rubbing chin. After pondering it for a few minutes, Kyle started his car and headed out toward the Indian reservation.

***

Diane Evans looked at her watch once more and back to the hallway leading toward her children's rooms. It was almost 7:00, and if they didn't hurry, Max and Isabel were gonna be late for school.

"Kids, you're gonna be late!" she called out.

Mr. Evans looked at his watch and sighed. "They still haven't left? Well, I better get going." He got up and walked over to his wife. "See you in a little bit," he added, planting a kiss on her cheek.

"Don't be too long in that meeting. You know I'm not very good at running an office by myself," she joked.

Phillip laughed and walked toward the door. "See ya later kids!" he added before walking out. Diana shook her head and went back to buttering the toast for Max and Isabel's breakfast. "Breakfast is getting cold!"

She stopped a moment and listened. There weren't any sounds coming from their rooms. Diane put down the butter knife and wiped her hands before walking down the hallway. She tapped on Isabel's door. Not getting a response, she pushed it open only to find it empty.

Ms. Evans walked across the hall to the bathroom and tapped on the door. "Izzy, you in there?" Again, no one answered. Figuring they were both in her son's room, Diane shook her head and knocked on Max's bedroom door. "Hurry up you two. You're gonna be late for school."

When no sounds came from the room, Ms. Evans opened it up and was shocked to see another empty room. A sound from the kitchen made her jump and she laughed. "I need to get a grip," she mumbled.

"Kids, about time you got up--" she stopped in her sentence when she saw it was Phillip.

"Forgot my briefcase," he said. "Honey, you ok?"

"Um...yeah, I guess. Max and Isabel aren't in their rooms," Diane said.

Mr. Evans seemed shocked then looked out the kitchen window. "Well, aren't we oblivious. The jeep's gone. They must've left early."

Diane looked and saw he was right; the jeep was gone. But there was a little voice tugging at the back of her mind. "When? I was up by 5:30."

"I guess our eyes are playing tricks on us," her husband joked. "We portably just didn't notice 'em go out the door." He kissed her once more on the cheek before going out the door a second time.

Diane gave him a smile and waved, but as soon as he was gone, she dropped the expression. Something was going on; something that was wrong. She sighed and started to put away the fixing for breakfast, only to notice Isabel's notebook on the counter.

After thinking about it, she opened it up and found it was full of biology notes. Diane picked it up and walked back toward her daughter's room. She walked in and looked around. She saw Isabel's purse her bed, which was still made. Feeling her panic rise, Ms. Evans went to her son's room and found the same thing. A made bed and school books still on his desk. She also noticed his window was wide open.

She walked over to it slowly, sticking her head out and looking around. After noting it was ok, she closed it and walked back out of the room. She had some calls to make.

***

Max tossed his head from side to side, trying to understand the pictures in his head. He could hear voices, familiar voices, calling out to him from far away; but he couldn't answer. The interior of the car fell away, leaving Max to be standing in the dessert.

He looked all around, seeing nothing but sand. Not one trees, bush, cactus, anything. Max spun in a circle, finally facing his original position. As plain as day, there was a swing set in front of him.

Max locked eyes on the little girl swinging back and forth, waving her legs to propel herself higher and higher. She had long brown hair and deep skin. She was wearing a yellow slip dress with daisies all over it.

The voices started up again, making Max look up at the sky. It suddenly tore open, sending lightening bolts through the air. As he stood and watched, they streaked across the sky, seeming to go on forever. They were coming in different colors, red, blue, yellow, orange, green, and even black.

Max was hypnotized by them, not being able to tear his eyes away. It wasn't until he heard the little girl's giggles that he could feel their magic wearing off. He looked back over at the little girl, laughing as her hair flew around her face. Max started to walk over to her again, only to hear the voices once more.

He could understand them now, begging him to come back. He still couldn't recognize them, but he felt connected to them somehow. Max looked back up at the sky, this time it was clear, a pale blue.

Smiling, he started his walk to the little girl. She was sitting still now, waiting for him. Max reached her and she smiled up at him.

"Will you push me?" she asked.

Max nodded and walked around to the back, pulling the swing up into the air and letting it fall. She squealed as she soared high into air, her hair flowing up. She giggled as he kept pushing her, the swing going higher and higher.

"Higher! Higher! I wanna reach the stars!" she cried, laughing as Max gave her another push.

The voices started up again, ringing in his ears. "Stop!!" Max cried, pulling his hands up to cover his ears. It felt like his brain was dribbling out of them. The sounds finally went away, and Max opened his eyes. The sky was now a deep gray, the clouds rumbling and threatening to spill over at any second.

Thinking it was time to get her home, Max looked back the swing only to find it empty and old. One side was broke and the chain was rusted and looked like it hadn't been used in years. Max searched frantically around him for the little girl, but she was gone.

Suddenly, the room shifted again and Max was standing in a pitch black room, with only one window. He glanced at it, seeing the familiar room. He rushed over, taking in a shaky breath and looked into the pure white room.

Sitting in the middle of the room, staring at the ceiling, was the same little girl from the dessert. Max felt the fear rise in his chest as the door opened and a familiar, tall man walked in. He looked down at her and smiled, making his face look evil.

Max pounded on the window, making it shake with his force. "Leave her alone!! Get away from her!" The little girl looked toward him and smiled, making her face light up. She stood and walked over to him, placing her hand on the glass. Max stopped banging and dropped down to his knees, making their faces level.

She looked right into his eyes, making a shiver go down his spine. Max slowly pulled his hand up, placing it along the glass right in front of hers. She smiled, showing her gap where her front teeth were before they fell out. Suddenly, the man was behind her, placing a hand on the little girls shoulder.

"Get away from her," Max said in a low, threatening voice. He stood back up and regarded the man, who aws smiling at him also. "I said leave her alone!!" Max bellowed, pounding on the glass once more. Laughing, the man placed his forefinger across his lips, trying to silence him. Max glanced back down at the little girl and saw she was gone.

"NO!!"

"Max!!"

Max shot up, throwing his hands around trying to run after her. "No!"

Isabel placed her hands on his shoulders, trying to hold him still. "Max, what's wrong?!"

Isabel? Max stopped and looked at her, tears in his eyes. He glanced around and saw he was once more back in the car, driving away from Roswell, New Mexico.

"Max, get away from who?" Michael asked, trying to drive the car and look at him at the same time.

"They...they have her," he mumbled out, the desperation ringing in his voice.

"Have who?" Tess asked, just as lost as the rest of them.

Max closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "I don't know...she was a child, maybe six years old...but they have her, and I couldn't save her," he added in a choked voice. "I couldn't save her! Pierce has her and I can't help!!!"

Isabel pulled him into a hug, stroking his back. "It was just a dream, Max, just a dream." Max nodded and tried to relax, but his heart was still pounding and he couldn't fight the feeling that wasn't 'just' a dream.

***

Sheriff Valenti drove slowly down highway 42, looking for the old radio tower. He couldn't remember the exact location, so he was just driving around, searching for anything familiar. The road seemed to go on forever, without anything in sight. it wasn't until he drove around a ben and saw it sticking out from the rock that he actually felt relieved.

As he got closer, he didn't see the mustang, or Alex's car, or Amy's jetta. Where was everybody?! He cursed and pulled over, getting out of his truck anyway. He sighed and ran a hand over his brow, trying to get a hold of a conscious thought.

Static coming from the truck brought him back over, making him lean in through the window to answer his CB. "Sheriff."

"Sir, we have a problem. Ms. Evans just called, saying both of her kids are missing. Plus, a Michael Guerin and a Tess Harding."

Valenti blew out all of his air and said into the speaker, "Ok, tell Hanson to get over there."

"Sir, Hanson's at the Parkers'; who's girl is also missing," the officer replied.

"Ok, I'm on my way." Valenti hung up the CB, getting back in the truck and starting it. He was gonna get to the bottom of this, if it was the last thing he did.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.