FanFic - Other
"Letting Go"
Part 22
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own them. Never have, never will. Would love to :-)
Summary: Max has come to terms with the relationship he and Maria share. Tess reveals some startling news the pod squad of something she uncovered in the compound while being held prisoner. The group is in their senior year of high school, but major changes lay ahead. When a call goes out to Nasedo offering a chance for the aliens to return home, they have to choose between what their mind and their heart says. Faced with the possibility of never seeing the humans again, the aliens must make a choice. Will they make the right one?
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: You must have read "Secrets" and "The Journey" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see the Other category on Crashdown.Com if you need either of the fictions.
Michael didn't live that far from Max. His home was only equivalent to about six blocks away. Taye stopped outside the gate so Michael and Tess could admire their home.

"Wow!" Tess said in disbelief. "Michael, your house is amazing." Beautiful blue roses ran up the gate. She had to admit that their planet was beautiful.

"Why are there gates up at all the houses?" He asked, curiously. Michael had noticed that almost every home they'd passed had a gate at the entrance.

Taye shook his head. "It's of no importance right now." He said. He didn't know if Michael would buy it. "Our leader decided that each family had to install the gates."

"I don't understand." Michael said. "Apparently it's important if they're up." He turned to Tess. "Doesn't it seem strange to you?"

Tess nodded in agreement. "I could understand if only one person had the gate, but every home seems to have one. There has to be a reason."

Why couldn't they just let it go? Taye wasn't supposed to have to explain this to them. All his job consisted of was dropping Michael, Tess, Max, Maria and Isabel off at their rightful homes and to see that Nasedo was told to meet with the elders. He wasn't supposed to be quizzed by them. "I'm unsure." He began. "I have been away for some-"

He was cut off by Michael. "Don't give me that bull. I know there is a reason for it and you know it." Rage, burned in his eyes.

Taye looked up at Michael. He couldn't lie to him. "All right." He said. "Ian has turned the families of our planet against one another. There is much feuding going on between our people. If you notice there is a small symbol on each of the gates." He pointed to a symbol, similar to a cross. "The houses that have the Garox symbol on them are in favor of your father ruling our planet. The others are in favor of Max's father. Their symbols are Daggers."

Michael was shocked. He couldn't believe what Taye was saying. "So our planet is in a futile war right now?" He asked.

"In a sense." Taye began. "When your fathers disappeared, Ian assumed the responsibility as leader. His ideas differed greatly from all other advisors. He wanted to control everything, including who was to marry whom. Under his rule, he could marry as many women as he pleased, and no man could take her away. Several Aardonians got together and decided that they didn't like the way he was leading our planet. When your father and Max's returned to Aardon, chaos had already erupted. Ian failed to mention to his father the true reason behind the disruption. Your parents have called you back to help rectify peace among the population."

Michael looked at Tess. She was in just as much shock as he was. "We won't be here that long." Michael said, regaining his composure. "I'm not sticking around a place that is almost at war. We're going back home next week."

Taye looked at Michael. Maybe he should have just told them the truth when he meet them. "I'm sorry Michael." He said. "Your father has ordered you not to be allowed off this planet. You've returned for good."

Tess didn't understand. "But Nasedo said." she began

"Forget what Nasedo said." Taye demanded. "Ian had him locked up. He was never going to talk to the elders. That was just a ploy to get him into a position where he could be captured. He's being held outside of our city."

He looked at Michael. He could see the anger pulsating through his veins. "Please don't be mad at me. I was just doing my job. I could die for telling you this much."

"Mad?" Michael said. "Mad doesn't even begin to cover it! I want to know how to get off this planet right now. Why didn't you say anything before?"

Taye looked down. "I told you. I could die for saying so much already. As for going back to earth, you can't. It'd be way too risky."

"It's worth the risk." Michael demanded. "We didn't come up here to be held against our will."

Taye couldn't take anymore. He felt the pain Michael was in. No one should be forced to live somewhere where they didn't want to be. "Here's the deal." He began. "If you play along with this for just a little while, I will try and rescue Nasedo and get you out of here. But for all of our sakes, you have to play along. If they even suspect you know the truth, about the war, you will never see me or Nasedo again." He paused. "Or Earth."

"How long must we pretend?" Tess asked. It was the first words she'd been able to mutter since she'd heard Taye.

"A couple days at the most. I will need time to prep the ship for a return after I have Nasedo in my possession. I will contact you in a day or so." Taye said.

"What about Max, Isabel and Maria?" Michael asked. Maria would be devastated if she knew the truth.

"You cannot say anything to them. If they are to go back too, you must have them meet us at the boarding site." Taye warned. "Don't tell them why, unless of course, they say something first. Then tell them to play along."

Michael looked at Tess. He did not want to go into the house. Their families were just as screwed up as the foster families he'd lived with on earth. Especially his; a missing sister, a brother on a quest and parents who were at war with his best friends and girlfriend's parents. It couldn't get any more screwed up than that.

"Let's meet this family of mine." Michael said, exiting the vehicle. He hadn't remembered Taye landing but apparently he had.

Tess followed close behind him. He could sense the apprehension that she felt. He had to admit he too felt a little strange. How could he face his parents knowing the truth? He had to do his best. Not only was his life at stake but also Max, Isabel, Tess and Maria's. "Stay behind me." He told Tess. "I don't want anything to happen to you so just stay behind me." He could feel the tension ease up in her.

Taye led them to the door and knocked. Within minutes the door opened. Michael recognized his father right away. David smiled at the sight of him. "Son!" He beamed, shaking his hand.

A woman that Michael didn't recognize peered from behind his father. "Michael." She said, sounding out each syllable in his name. "I'm your mother, Juli." She walked forward and put her arms around him. "My son you are so big." She hugged him tight, slowly opening her eyes.

Juli stumbled back. David had to brace her to keep from falling. A look of pure shock and panic fell over her face. Michael wondered if she'd had a vision. David stroked her curly blonde hair until she was calm. "What is it dear? Are you alright?"

She moved slightly and looked passed Michael. She was staring at Tess. "Please come forward." She said, motioning to Tess.

Tess moved from behind Michael to his side. This time both David and Juli gasped. David began walking towards her. "It can't be." He mumbled.

Michael was ready to pounce. He wasn't going to let anything happen to Tess.

"It just can't be." His father said again.

Juli stood up and walked over to Tess. She lightly touched her face and a tear sprang to her eye. "It is." She said. "It's our beloved daughter."

Part 21 | Index | Part 23
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.