FanFic - Other
"Legacy"
Part 5
by Kath7
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the story. The characters and concept belong to Jason Katims and Melinda Metz. Tarsus of Dernia and all Illyrian characters belong to me. Lyrics by Sarah McLachlan, Phil Collins, Amanda Marshall.
Summary: Sequel to "Out of the Woods." I highly recommend reading it before trying this one. It is archived at the Crashdown. Basically, Max is gone, and the others have no idea whether they will ever see him again.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Michael pulled the jeep to the side of the highway, switched off the ignition.

He glanced at Maria in the seat next to him. She had fallen asleep again...the circles under her eyes were enormous, emphasizing the delicacy of her bone structure. The gentle rise and fall of her chest assured him that she was still with him.

Michael didn't know how much longer that would be the case.

Which only made the necessity of bringing Maxwell back to them even more desperate.

The spearing guilt to which he was now so accustomed came like a welcome friend.

For while Michael Guerin now revelled in his humanity - recognized it for the gift it was - the best part was the determination that negative emotion provided...

He would not rest until his brother came home.

Michael regretted doing it, but he reached out and gently shook Maria awake. He watched her eyelashes flutter."Just five more minutes mom." She muttered.

"Wake up." Michael snapped, knowing that annoying Maria was the best way to give her a shot of adrenaline - and there was no question she needed it.

Her eyes snapped open. "Are we there?" She asked, frowning at him.

"Yup." Michael swung out of the jeep, hurried around to the passenger side and lifted her out.

Maria looked around warily. "It's really dark out there Michael. Are you sure this is what Isabel's vision meant?"

"What else could it have been?" Michael demanded.

"I just don't understand why you didn't mention this to the others before." Maria was looking at him with concern.

It humbled him. She was ALWAYS worried about him.

When he was the one responsible for the fact that she was dying.

"I just had a feeling." Michael replied shortly. He grabbed a flashlight out of the emergency compartment in the back of the car, then took Maria's hand. "C'mon."

"Did you have a feeling that I had to be with you?" Maria asked quietly as they picked their way over the rocky terrain of the former ranch.

Michael paused, pulled her into his arms. He felt her relax instantly. "I always want you with me." He told her truthfully.

Maria pulled back, grinned up at him. "Okay then bub. Let's get on with this. I need my beauty sleep. I didn't quite make it through the whole school day today. If I miss one more class, I can kiss graduation in May good-bye."

Michael swallowed. He suppressed the thought that if they didn't get Max back - the only one with any chance of healing Maria - it was unlikely that she would live until May.

They continued to walk in silence.

Maria was the one to stop them the next time. Michael looked back at her with concern. "Are you okay?"

She didn't reply. She had her head thrown back, her long strawberry blonde hair trailing down her back.

"Maria?" Michael snapped, worried, being more abrupt then he meant to be.

"Michael - can't you feel it?"

"Feel what?"

And then the vision was upon him. Michael stumbled into Maria, knocked her to the ground. The last thing he noticed was her wide-eyed gaze, still staring at the stars.

*Flash

Max was staring at him, his dark eyes unreadable. In his hands he held a red orb - the symbol was different to that on the blue orbs that had caused all the trouble in the first place though...Michael recognized it...but its meaning was just beyond his reach...

*Flash

Maria was across from him. She was wearing a long, white, flowing gown and her long hair was blowing out behind her. She was reaching out for something just beyond his field of vision.

*Flash

Michael could feel himself stepping forward. He looked up...above him towered immense, standing stones...they looked as solid as the day is long...and yet he knew that he was afraid...

*Flash

Young Michael, Max and Isabel joined hands...walked across the desert together...

"MICHAEL!"

Maria's voice finally shattered into his conciousness.

He shook his head, realized that he was still sprawled on top of her. He quickly rolled away. He was not surprised when she reached out and grabbed him.

Michael pulled her close to his side. They were both breathing heavily.

"Did you see that?" Maria finally whispered, after what seemed like eons.

"Yeah." Michael replied. He didn't know what else to say.

"What did it mean?" Maria asked, sounding peculiar. Michael turned his head, glanced at her. She was staring up at the stars again...her expression unreadable.

"I don't know."

Maria sat up, began to climb to her feet. Michael quickly jumped to his, helped her. "I need to go home." She told him, still in that same quiet way - it was unatural...and a little freaky.

"Okay." Michael told her.

They started back. When she stumbled, Michael ignored her protests, swung her up into his arms, held her high against his chest.

"Just shut up and rest."

She did.

And that's when Michael knew that the end was drawing near.

Part 4 | Index | Part 6
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.