FanFic - Other
"Legacy"
Part 26
by Kath7
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the story. The characters and concept belong to Jason Katims and Melinda Metz. Tarsus of Dernia and all Illyrian characters belong to me. Lyrics by Sarah McLachlan, Phil Collins, Amanda Marshall.
Summary: Sequel to "Out of the Woods." I highly recommend reading it before trying this one. It is archived at the Crashdown. Basically, Max is gone, and the others have no idea whether they will ever see him again.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
The minute Jaxon’s lips touched Liz’s the connection was made.

The images rushed through his mind in a blur, making him dizzy. He didn’t understand any of it.

And yet it was all completely familiar…

*Flash*

"You’re all right now. You’re all right. You broke the bottle when you fell, spilled ketchup on yourself. Don’t tell anyone…please."

*Flash*

"I prefer the term ‘not of this earth…’ Sorry…it's not a good time to joke."

*Flash*

"I never thanked you…for saving my life."

"Thank YOU."

*Flash*

"No we’ve always looked like this…well, except for the third eye….Kidding."

*Flash*

"I can’t stop what’s happening to your grandmother, but maybe I can help you say goodbye."

*Flash*

"Hey. The first moment anything weird happens, anything at all, you come back."

*Flash*

"I’ve been waiting for this for a long time."

*Flash*

"'Cause if I don’t go right now things are going to change."

"Change how?"

"I’d have to touch your hair because its so soft…and I’d have to tell you that no matter what we go through its all worthwhile for me because we’re together…"

"And then?"

"And then…I’d have to do this…"

*Flash*

"…something about Venus in the morning sky."

"I thought she was right in front of me."

*Flash*

"What’s so great about normal?"

*Flash*

"I mean some girls would give a lot to see themselves fly through outer space."

*Flash*

"I look at you and I know you’re the person I’m supposed to be with. I’ve always known it. What happened here that day, when you got shot, and how that brought us together…it’s fate. Look at me. You’re the one Liz…the only one. I could never be with anyone else."

*Flash*

"Whether I die tomorrow or fifty years from now my destiny is the same. It’s you. I want to be with you Liz. I love you."

*Flash*

"But you mean everything to me!"

*Flash*

"Jeez Liz! I’m not dead…I’m sorry I didn’t turn out to be the guy you thought I was…but really there’s no need for the soap opera. I’m doing just fine. I happen to like Pam…she’s fun, not serious…there’s not the boring dissection of every little thing with her…"

*Flash*

"But Liz…I DON’T love you."

*Flash*

"I don’t understand Liz. Everyone else gave up on me. Why didn’t you?"

*Flash*

"I will always be with you Liz. You are my heart."

*Flash*

"I loved you from the first moment I laid eyes on you and I will love you until my dying breath."

Jaxon felt Liz wrap her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

He couldn’t seem to get enough of her…

The way she felt in his arms was indescribable…the images she sent whirling through his mind….

He had never felt closer to anyone in his life…like he now knew her inside and out…

Like he had come home…

He moved his hands until they were gently cupping her delicate skull, her long hair trailing like silk through his fingers. He slanted his lips over hers, deepening the kiss until he felt like he was drowning…

Liz sighed gently…"Max…"

Jaxon’s eyes snapped open.

Liz seemed to feel the moment that he lost the connection. She moved back slightly, gazing into his eyes seriously. Jaxon felt his breath coming raggedly. He stared at her, felt panic beginning to set in…

He WAS NOT Max Evans…he was Jaxon…he was Jaxon dammit!

"Are you all right?" Liz asked him quietly, refusing to remove her gaze from his…he wanted to turn away from her, but he felt paralyzed.

He swallowed, finally managed to get the words out. "What was that?"

What he had seen…it had all been familiar…and yet those were NOT his memories.

"We connected." Liz replied. "You were seeing ME."

Jaxon blinked at her. "I don’t understand."

"We’ve always been able to do it Max. Ever since the first moment I knew who you were…we’re bonded in a way that defies explanation." Liz took his hand in his. He stared down at where her gentle grip connected them.

"I saw so many things Liz. I saw you when you were a little girl…I saw YOU die…I saw every single memory you have of me." He could not stop himself. He reached up and touched her face. "I FELT the way you feel about me."

Liz’s gaze did not falter. "I love you," she told him simply.

"I know," Jaxon replied, feeling amazed.

For the first time he hated that he could not remember their relationship. He had to accept that there had been one.

She loved him. She would not betray him.

He finally had someone to trust on this cursed planet.

Liz led him over to a chair, gently pushed him down into it. She knelt in front of him, looked up at him seriously. "What happens now?"

Jaxon rubbed a hand across his face, sighed. "I don’t know." He looked at her. "I’m so sorry Liz."

Her beautiful face looked perplexed. "Why?"

"It must hurt you that I don’t remember." Her face tightened momentarily, but relaxed a moment later.

"It’s more sad than anything else. I miss sharing memories with you Max." She placed her hands on his face, forced him to look at her. "But you’re still you…even if you don’t remember. We are still connected, bonded…we will be forever."

Jaxon leaned forward slightly, brought his lips to hers again in a gentle kiss. His intention had been to comfort her, but the fire that existed between them quickly flared again and before he knew it she was on his lap, her hands in his hair…

He placed one hand on her waist to hold her steady, brushed the other one up and down her slender back, loving the way he could feel her breathing. When his hand reached the back of her neck, the skin there was so soft…Her hair brushed the back of his hand, making his heart speed up even more than it already had…

It was like heaven…

It took them both several moments to realize that the phone was ringing.

Liz sighed, gently disentangled herself from his embrace. "Normally I would let that ring…" Liz told him wryly. "But it’s so late it has to be about Maria." Jaxon watched her expression darken as she went to pick up the telephone that was sitting on a nearby table.

Jaxon stood up, watched her back as she talked. He was not listening to her words at all.

He could not stop staring at her. She was so lovely she took his breath away.

He was in SERIOUS trouble.

When Liz hung up the phone, her head was lowered. She did not turn around, did not say a word.

Jaxon knew that something awful must have happened.

"Liz?" He finally broke the silence, moved to stand close behind her, wanting to comfort her, but not knowing how.

He knew that she was upset. Maria, the one that had seemed so familiar in the picture he had seen earlier that evening, had clearly taken a turn for the worse. "That was Michael." Liz finally choked out, still not turning around. "Maria’s in a coma…I saw her earlier tonight." She explained. She still had not turned around. "Her heart stopped twenty minutes ago."

"Liz, I’m sorry." He didn’t know what to say.

"They managed to revive her." Liz continued. "But…I don’t think…I mean…" Jaxon could hear the tears in her voice. Her back began to shake.

He reached out, pulled her gently against him, her back to his front, tried to comfort her. "I am so sorry." He paused. She was quietly sobbing. "Is there anything I can do?" He asked in desperation.

She froze. She said nothing for what seemed like forever, but finally… "We decided not to ask you…you have enough to deal with…"

"Ask me what?" And then he knew.

They knew about his gift.

Of course they did. It was how he and Liz had first connected. He had healed her.

He COULD do something for her.

Jaxon gently turned Liz around so that she was facing him. He lifted her chin with his index finger. Her dark eyes were liquid with tears. If he could do something to stop her from crying, he would do it…He would do anything.

Somehow he was getting the feeling that even though he did not remember their relationship, he would still gladly die for this small slip of a girl…

"Take me to her."

*************************************************************************************

Kyle literally thought that Michael was going to hurl the doctor through the wall. "What the hell do you mean you want to unhook her life support?"

At least he didn’t think to blast him, Kyle thought wryly as he, his dad and Alex managed to pull Michael off of poor Dr. Lerner.

"Get a hold of yourself Mr. Guerin!" Kyle’s dad commanded. "You are not helping anyone here. Certainly not Maria."

Kyle could see Amy Deluca watching them all with horror from Maria’s hospital bedside. She finally turned away, began to stroke Maria’s forehead.

Michael pulled away from them all, stalked away down the hospital corridor, raking his hands through his spiky hair. Kyle could hear him muttering to himself.

"I’ll go," Alex said to Kyle, following Michael at a safe distance, giving him a chance to cool down.

"I’m sorry Doctor," Kyle heard his dad trying to appease the doctor. "He’s just a kid and he’s grieving."

"I understand," Dr. Lerner replied, his face still white. He looked like he had just seen his life pass before his eyes.

Kyle sighed. He and his dad had brought Michael and Liz to see Maria on the way home from the hospital. The Parkers had come for their daughter a couple of hours ago. Although Liz had not wanted to leave, she had finally been convinced that she could come back for the night shift at Maria’s bedside.

Michael had refused to go anywhere. He had been a powder keg waiting to explode since Kyle had told him what was going on with Maria at the hospital.

Just like they had known he would be, he was practically insane with fury that no one had told him that his girlfriend was in a coma. They had finally managed to calm him down, but Kyle had seen the expression on his face when Maria had flat-lined.

Michael Guerin had looked like he had died too.

It made Kyle almost glad that Tess had rejected him. He did not ever want to have to feel the horror and pain that Michael had obviously felt at that moment.

Kyle watched his dad go in to comfort Mrs. Deluca. If anything good had come out of this situation, it seemed like Maria’s mom and his dad might finally be getting their relationship back on track.

There was no question that Amy was going to need someone very soon.

Not for the first time that night Kyle wondered why no one had brought Max to see Maria yet.

They had their very own miracle-healer in their midst and he was nowhere to be found.

Kyle had briefly heard from Liz about Max’s loss of memory, but Kyle could not believe that Max Evans, no matter who he thought he was, would ever NOT do something for someone in pain if he could.

He had always been Saint Max. He always would be, even if he did call himself Saint Jaxon now.

At that exact moment the doors leading into the IC unit swung open and Liz came rushing through.

And she was not alone.

Max Evans’ eyes met his as Liz came to an abrupt halt next to him.

The first thing that Kyle noticed was that Liz and Max were holding hands.

Interesting. Saint Max WAS still around.

"Are we too late?" Liz asked breathlessly. Max stood quietly beside her, but Kyle could see his eyes stray towards the window that looked into Maria’s room.

"She’s still breathing." Kyle replied quietly. "The doctor wants to take her off life-support."

"Oh God!" Liz’s eyes filled with tears. "We might be too late."

"It’s still worth a shot." Kyle could see that his dad had noticed Max’s arrival. He was gently helping Amy to her feet. His dad was clearly trying to clear the hospital room so that Max could work his healing magic…

"C’mon Amy. Let’s go get a cup of coffee. The kids can stay with Maria for a few moments." Kyle and his dad exchanged glances as the Sheriff led Mrs. Deluca down the hall in the direction Alex and Michael had taken several moments before. Amy looked like she had already started to shut-down. Grief made her stumble a few steps later. Kyle’s dad put an arm around her, but they kept going.

Kyle trailed Max and Liz into the hospital room. Max was staring down at Maria, a sad expression on his face.

Finally, Kyle saw Max swallow. "Liz, you need to tell me about her - about OUR relationship, I mean if we had one," He finally said desperately. "I need something to be able to connect with her…I don’t remember!" Max sounded upset and frustrated, but determined as well.

Liz smiled wanly at him. "Just think of strawberries," she told him quietly.

Max’s brow furrowed slightly. He looked confused. "Okay."

Kyle put his arm around Liz as they watched Max gently lay his hands on Maria’s temples.

"God, please let this work." Kyle muttered under his breath.

Part 25 | Index | Part 27
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.