FanFic - Other
"Legacy"
Part 22
by Kath7
Disclaimer: I own nothing but the story. The characters and concept belong to Jason Katims and Melinda Metz. Tarsus of Dernia and all Illyrian characters belong to me. Lyrics by Sarah McLachlan, Phil Collins, Amanda Marshall, Dave Matthews.
Summary: Sequel to "Out of the Woods." I highly recommend reading it before trying this one. It is archived at the Crashdown. Basically, Max is gone, and the others have no idea whether they will ever see him again.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
"Let's get this over with." Maria managed to choke out. A Dernian woman with fathomless black eyes came forward and handed Maria a green orb. She looked down at it, glanced back at the woman in confusion. Michael was given an identical orb.

Orbs! Maria hated orbs. They were what had started this whole extended mess in the first place. They should have all cursed the day that Max and Liz had found the first one in the desert. Or at least destroyed the damn thing when they had had the chance.

Maria exchanged one more glance with Michael. He took her hand again, pulled her into the circle.

She felt her heart stop as they advanced towards a stone lying in the centre of the circle. It looked like an altar. She didn't remember it having been there the last time she had been here.

"How long does this take?" Maria asked Michael after they had been standing near the altar-rock for what felt like forever. Nothing was happening.

Michael just shrugged, glanced down at his orb. "I guess we're okay...."

He was cut off by a burst of power so intense it knocked them both off their feet. Maria heard Michael yelling."WHAT THE...."

This was it. They had failed.

It took a moment for Maria to realize that she was still alive - that she had not been zapped into a million pieces.

Michael had somehow ended up on top of her, clearly trying to protect her, but she managed to shove his shoulder aside, creating a little space for herself to see.

The circle seemed to have come alive. Energy danced from standing stone to standing stone, culminating in a column of white light that reached towards the heavens.

It looked darn familiar to Maria.

It was a portal.

As quickly as it had materialized, the portal was gone.

And they were no longer alone.

Standing nearby, looking very young, very confused and very sad, was Max Evans.

His eyes found them a moment later.

He only said one word - or rather, a name. "Michael."

Part 21 | Index | Part 23
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.