FanFic - Other
"Fade to Black"
Part 1
by Love
Disclaimer: I own nada.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
"I love you Liz." The words rang in her ears as she walked the halls of West Roswell High, two weeks after that fateful day at the cave. She struggled not to cry; crying in school was a sin that would never be forgiven. And she didn't think she could handle that.

Then she saw him. Tall, dark-hair, soulful bedroom eyes. He was standing across the hall talking to some girls, but the whole time looking over at Liz. She adverted her eyes; careful not to make eye contact with him. Don't look at him, she urged herself. They're probably just friends of Isabel's, and he's talking to them because Isabel made him.

Deep down, Liz knew that that was probably the truth, but it still hurt to look at him, especially when he was with other girls. No, she corrected herself. When he's with that girl. Her gaze shifted to the curly blonde head that was bobbing across the hall. Liz felt the hatred build up in her body, both welcomed and loathed. She hated the feeling of envy, but the feeling came naturally when Tess was involved.

She knew Tess was probably relishing the fact that Liz couldn't take her eyes off of Max, but Liz didn't care. All she wanted was things to be the way they used to be. In a sense, normal. "Don't look at him Liz. Don't give her the satisfaction." Liz jumped at the unexpected voice. She turned around and saw Maria standing behind her.

"S-t Maria. Don't do that to me." She held a hand over her pounding heart and glared at Maria, who immediately put on a look of apology.

"Sorry. Why are you so jumpy lately?" Maria's face changed from apologetic to inquisitive. Liz shrugged.

"I don't know. It's like, something is happening inside my body. I get these weird feelings, and then I get shivers all over my body. It only started happening after Tess showed up, and they didn't really happen much until after that day at the cave. Now they happen all the time. I don't know what's going on, Maria." Liz's tone took on a tinge of fright, which Maria detected immediately.

"Liz, I'm sure it's just...hurt," she finished lamely, knowing as well as Liz that that wasn't what was happening. "Okay, so I have no idea, but don't get yourself all worked up over it. It's probably just something going on in your body. Hormones or something," she added, shrugging causally.

"I guess you're right," Liz told her reluctantly, not believing it for a second.

"Of course I am! Now, let's go grab some lunch. I'm starving." Maria led Liz away from Max, chattering on about something completely incoherent. Liz only listened with one ear. Her eyes were fixated on the guy standing by the Eraser Room. He was tall, broad shouldered, and blonde, with startling green eyes and a friendly smile. He winked at Liz and let his eyes follow her down the hall, making her very aware of him.

"Maria," Liz whispered, nudging her. Maria stopped and looked at Liz.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know who that is?" She asked, nodding her head in the direction of the boy. Maria looked at him and squinted, trying to figure out who he was.

"No, but he sure is cute! Come on, let's go talk to him." Maria linked her arm through Liz's and fairly dragged her to the guy.

"Hi!" Maria's voice was very friendly, a tone Liz knew well. "I'm Maria and this is Liz," she added, smiling at him.

"I'm Marc," he smiled back. His smile was contagious, and even Liz felt herself smiling. His gaze caught hers and he seemed to be looking at her intently, trying to hold a conversation with her through their eyes. Maria glanced back and forth between the two of them, amused.

"Interesting," she commented, breaking them both out of the intent stare-down. Liz laughed self-consciously, but Marc grinned easily, laughing at Maria's antics.

"I should say that same thing," he told her. Maria reacted with surprise.

"Excuse me?"

"Well, first I see her staring at that guy," he said, pointing to Max, who had his back to them. "Then, you two come over here and start flirting with me. So I'm guessing that I'm the guy to make that guy jealous. Am I right?" He asked smugly, crossing his arms over his chest. Maria's jaw dropped, and Liz's eyes widened, but not because of what he had said. She had just felt the tremors on her body, the body-consuming goose bumps. Along with it was something even scarier: She had seen Marc touch her head with his palm, jolting her back against the car she was standing against. He stared into her eyes; his teeth gritted in anticipation as she screamed in pain.

Then, as quickly as it had come, it was gone. Marc and Maria were laughing, completely oblivious to the fact that something was wrong. Liz looked wildly around her and saw Isabel heading for Max. Thinking quickly, she excused herself and walked swiftly over to Isabel. They talked occasionally, and although they weren't real close, they could be considered friends. "Isabel!" She called to the girl, who quickly stopped and turned around. Her eyes were warm and friendly.

"Hey Liz. What's up?" Her smile immediately vanished when she saw the look in Liz's eyes. "What's wrong?" She asked softly, pulling her to the wall. Liz just shook her head.

"Nothing." Her voice sounded high and squeaky even to her ears, and she could tell by looking at Isabel that she didn't believe her. "Okay, fine. Ever since Tess got here, I've been having these...premonitions, if you will. I get major cases of the shivers, like, all over my body. In the last two weeks, they've been coming a lot more often, at least two or three times a day. Then, when Maria and I were talking to Marc, I-"

"Wait, who?" Isabel interrupted her, her eyes probing.

"Him," Liz swallowed, nodding with her head. Isabel turned around to see Maria and Marc still flirting.

"Okay, continue." Liz nodded and took in a deep breath.

"Maria wanted to go over there, so I did. We were just talking, and suddenly I got this flash. Not like you guys get when you connect, but a premonition of some kind. Marc was trying to hurt me, and I was screaming...." Liz trailed off and shuddered, remembering the horrible scene.

"So that's what's got you all freaked out, huh?" Isabel asked softly, her voice filled with compassion. "I don't blame you. It's freaky just listening to it. It's something right out of a horror movie." Liz nodded.

"Yeah, but this isn't a movie. This is real life."

"That's what Neve Campbell said in Scream." Liz smiled at Isabel's analogy.

"Maybe I'm overreacting. I don't know...it just scared me. The way it came so suddenly. It was probably nothing," Liz added, her voice more confident than she felt.

"Probably," Isabel agreed, not believing a word of it.

Part 0 | Index | Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.