FanFic - Other
"Don't Speak"
Part 34
by Jamie Phelps
Disclaimer: Don't own the Characters or the title. Never have, never will. Would love too :-)
Summary: Michael, Max, Maria, Isabel, Liz, Alex, Tess and Kyle's lives seem back on track. With Max and Liz's wedding quickly approaching, all seems perfect. Then the mysterious Jennifer arrives in Roswell and things quickly spiral out of control. Maria leaves Michael, Isabel learns one of the group is keeping a secret, and Max and Liz begin fighting. Taye is drawn to Jennifer, yet doesn't understand why. When Tess questions Jennifer's motives, she disappears. Who is the mysterious Jennifer? And will life as we know it in Roswell ever be the same?
Category: Other
Rating: R
Authors Note: Thanks to Cari for helping me come up with a title for this piece. I owe you one! You must have read "Secrets", "The Journey" and "Letting Go" or this fiction will not make sense to you. Please email at jamiep@egyptian.net or see them at Fan Forum if you need the other fictions.
"Am I taking you back to Michael's or to your apartment?" Maria asked. They were finally on their way.

"We have to pick up Jacey." Max started. But Liz placed a gentle hand on Max's arm to keep him from finishing.

"If you don't mind, Maria," She began. "Could Jacey stay with you or Michael tonight? I need to talk to Max. It would be a lot easier if she wasn't there."

Maria looked down. She knew what they had to talk about. "She can stay with me." She replied quickly. She still felt responsible for what had happened to Liz. "She's welcome anytime."

"Thank you, Maria." Liz smiled. "You don't know how much that means to me."

"That's what I'm here for." Maria laughed. The mood didn't lighten though. "So I'm just dropping you off at your apartment then?" Maria said.

"Yes if that's ok." Liz added.

"Sure, just needed to know when to turn." Maria turned left and headed towards Max and Liz's house.

"Max?" Liz asked suddenly.

"Hmm?" He said, pulling her close. He was determined to make sure she knew he was always going to be there.

"Was that one of Ian's men?" She asked. "He tried to kill me, didn't he? Because of you?"

Max looked away. He couldn't face Liz. He knew something like this was bound to happen. He'd said from the beginning that by getting her involved she'd be risking her life. And she had. She'd almost died and he couldn't do a damn thing about it.

"Max?" She said again.

"Yeah, I think so." He began. "Liz, I never meant for any of this to happen. I told you that it wasn't safe for us. Ian must be really mad." He stopped, debating on whether or not to go ahead. "Something happened to Isabel when she had Jodi. She wasn't herself. What she thinks happen is someone took over her body briefly in order to cut the oxygen supply off from Jodi. She almost died from it. But Alex delivered her just in time. Oxygen was restored and everything was fine when she was born. Isabel just told me about it because she was trying to forget it. After you came up missing they knew it was connected."

"Isabel almost lost Jodi?" Liz asked. "I would have never guessed that."

"It's true, I was with her." Maria chimed in. "She was terrified and I have to admit, so was I. I've never seen Isabel act that way before. Something was definitely happening to her."

Liz looked out the window. "Now I understand." She mumbled.

"What was that?" Max asked. "I couldn't hear you Lizzy."

"It's ok." Liz said. "I'll tell you later." It was then that she noticed they were parked in front of their apartment.

Max got out of the car and helped Liz out. Maria came around to the side. "Everything will be ok right?" Maria asked.

"Of course it will." Liz replied. She leaned in and pulled Maria in for a hug. Maria could feel the sadness in her heart. She was going to have to do one of the hardest things she'd ever had to do.

Maria pulled away. "I love you, Liz." She turned and got back in the car. "If you need anything.anything at all.don't hesitate to call anytime day or night. I'll be here."

"I love you to, Maria." She said. "I may take you up on that offer too." A weak smile formed across her face. "I'll get Jacey in the morning."

"That's fine, no hurry." Maria replied. "I'll see you guys later."

Max and Liz stood waving at Maria until she was out of sight. "Ready to go in?" Max asked.

Liz laced her fingers through his. "No really." She began. "But you have to know."

"Know what?" Max said, unlocking the door.

"Let's get inside first." She replied.

Max fumbled with the keys but finally got the door open. He walked Liz over to the couch and then smiled. "Do you want something to drink?" He asked. "I'm going to get me one."

Liz again forced a smile. "Sure." She said. "Water will be fine."

Max bent down and kissed her on the forehead. "Coming right up."

She took the few moments that she had to herself to gather her thoughts. She didn't know where to begin. She knew she had to tell him gently. It was hard enough dealing with it on her own. She needed Max to be there with her. She knew he would need her. It was only fair to tell him now and not wait three or four months down the line.

Max walked back into the living room and handed Liz the glass of water. He sat down beside her. "I'm so glad you are ok. I thought I was going to loose you." He pulled her close.

Liz pulled away.

"What?" Max asked. "Did I do something?"

Liz reached over and grabbed his hand. "NO!" She exclaimed. "You didn't do anything wrong, I just need to look at you when I tell you this."

She had Max's full attention. "What is it?"

"I sent you flashes of what happened, but not about what was being said." Liz began. "All I could do was hope to survive to be able to tell you what he said. The man attacked me." Tears began to roll down her face. "When I mentioned that you had a brother named Ian a glaze covered his eyes. I didn 't know the Ian he worked for and your brother were connected. He even seemed more upset when I told him that I was pregnant and would need a leave of absence if I decided to take the job. While he was attacking me, he kept his focus on making me suffer. It seemed like he knew exactly where it would hurt the most." She looked away. "As he was fleeing I heard him say that it was only the beginning. That the first two tries had been failures and it was time that something started going his way. I didn't know what he meant by that but now I do, especially after hearing the Isabel story. She was the first attempt. I wouldn't exactly call my attack a failed attempt."

"What are you talking about Liz? You're alive! You're here! How could that not be a failed attempt?" Max asked locking his fingers around hers.

Tears poured out of Liz's eyes. This was the hardest thing she'd ever done. "I'm not all here, Max." She began. "He didn't return me the way he found me. I couldn't protect it. I tried, Max! I tried, but I couldn't protect it. He knew what he wanted."

Max turned Liz by her shoulders and made her face him. "Couldn't protect what, Liz? You have to tell me. It's ok."

She looked up at him. Their eyes found each other. Max could see all the hurt, pain and sadness in her eyes. He felt a lump rising from the pit of his stomach, making its way past his lungs and into his throat. "Liz?"

"I couldn't save the baby, Max. I couldn't protect it." She collapsed into his arms in a burst of tears. "I lost our baby, Max.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly. He slowly began to rock her back and forth. Tears were now streaming down his face. How could this have happened? It wasn't fair. Hatred began to over take his sadness. Hatred for the brother that was causing so much pain to his family. But he pushed it aside and thought of the baby. The baby that he would never get to see. The one that he'd never get to play with or hold or hear the word "daddy" from.

"I'm so sorry." Liz cried. "I should have tried harder, Max."

"You did the best you could, Liz." Max began. "Maybe the baby is alright, we'll have to see -".

"The baby isn't alright, Max." Liz began. "I know that. Isabel and Maria know it. I could tell when they connected with me. I could see it in their eyes. I had already figured it out by then though. Ian's man was not trying to kill me. He wanted the baby dead. Just like he wanted Jodi dead." She cried harder. "And I let him kill our baby."

Max pulled her as close to him as possible. Tears continued running down both of their cheeks. He didn't want to believe it. Their baby couldn't be gone. He shifted in the seat and pulled back. "I want Jacey here now." Max said.

"No, Max, leave her with Maria." Liz pleaded. "We need to deal with this together. Jacey's too young to understand."

"I want my daughter here with me. I won't risk loosing her too!" Max shouted.

"I know you're hurting Max! Talk to me, please!" Liz replied.

Max was on his feet now. "I'm not going to allow Jacey to be ripped from me like this baby was." Max said, pointing at Liz. "She's all I have left."

Liz stared at him. She knew he didn't mean what he'd said. "You have me too, Max." Liz wiped away some of the tears. "Talk to me, tell me what your feeling."

"You wanna know what I'm feeling." Max began. His face began to turn red. "I don't know what I'm feeling. I'm between furious and sad right now. If I ever get my hands on that man who caused you to loose my child I'll kill him. I'm mad because you went by yourself to meet him. I'm mad a Maria and Isabel for not telling me about Jodi's birth any sooner. I'm mad at Taye for not being there earlier." There was a long silence. Slowly Max broke down. His sobs became uncontrollable as he collapsed onto the floor. He drew his knees up to his chest and cried. "But mostly I'm mad at myself for not being there to protect you and our child."

Liz slid off the couch and sat next to him. She pulled him close and hugged him. "Don't be mad." She said through her tears. "I should have been able to protect the baby myself."

Max looked up at Liz. "How can you say that? It's not your fault. You're not the one with powers. If only I wouldn't have ever gotten involved with you. Your life would be normal. You wouldn't be sitting right here mourning over the loss of your baby."

Liz's eyes found Max's. "You're wrong Max. My life would be far from normal. Normal is you. Normal is Jacey, Michael, Maria, Isabel, Alex, Kyle, Tess, Taye and the babies. You define normal. There is no other place I'd rather be than right here with you. Even if we have harder times unlike most couples, I'd still never trade. You are my life and I don't care what you think. I would be completely miserable without you."

Max looked away. "I would be miserable without you too. But still, look at all the problems I have caused you."

"They're not problems Max. They're obstacles. Obstacles that are given to us to let us know every day how much we love and need each other. Think about it. Our love just keeps getting deeper and deeper because we have obstacles. It's all worth it to me, Max. Just to have you as my husband. And no matter what I will always be there for you." Liz wiped away a tear.

Max pulled Liz close again. "I'll always be here for you too." He said. "We'll get through this together. It'll be one of those obstacles that you were talking about. But we'll get through." His eyes filled with tears again. "I love you, Liz."

"I love you too." She said, pulling his mouth onto hers and savoring the feel of his lips against hers in a long, deep, passionate kiss.

Part 33 | Index | Part 35
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.