FanFic - Other
"Destiny's Circle"
Part 8
by kath7
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Roswell nor from the Robin Hood legend. I am just borrowing them. Some original ideas by ddawn and Angel_Parker. The character of Parkyla was created by Sunnie D.
Summary: This story is based on an idea that came out of a RPG that is currently ongoing on the Fanforum Roswell Board called Detention Adventures (Detentioned Boswellians.) In it, two of our talented authors (Hi Angel_Parker and ddawn!) have created the idea that everything that happens in Roswell-land is on a continuous loop - meaning that Max, Isabel, Tess and Michael have been on Earth many times before, have returned to their planet and have been killed each time. Their "essences" have been re-cloned and they have been re-sent to Earth to try and get it right. Time on Earth continues to move forward with each loop, thus everytime our pod squad returns, they return to a different time period. My story has added to this idea - basically I believe that two mistakes in the current, contemporary loop of the TV show have affected the destiny of the four: These two events are 1)Nasedo being captured after the Crash and consequentially losing Max, Isabel and Michael 2) Max's healing of Liz. I love the idea of reincarnation and soulmates, thus I have decided to create the story of Max and Liz through the centuries as they just miss changing Max' s destiny each time. I already know that the story is going to end in our time, with the healing of Liz at the Crashdown....where it is going to go to get there, I do not know...LOL...so, hopefully this will work! This first part of the story is set in Medieval England and is based on the Robin Hood legend.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This story is dedicated to my pals on the Detentioned Boswellians RPG. They are, in no particular order: pbwin, ddawn, Sunnie D, hookt, Maria, sjton, Ivy_English, Angel_Parker, cheetah, Phaedra and Shortiegirl. If I forgot someone, please just kill me. LOL
As Michael watched Max kiss Lady Elizabeth, the grin he had been wearing gradually began to fade.

He had been a little upset that his brother, whom Michael ALWAYS beat at archery, just as Max ALWAYS beat Michael with the sword, had won the contest. But he had also not been particularily interested in kissing some snooty noblewoman - particularily one he had heard somewhere today was betrothed to the arrogant Sir Kyle DeValence...

It had been clear to Michael that Max had wanted to win though...more than he had ever wanted anything before. It was the first time Michael had ever seen his brother display any sort of selfish impulse and it had been refreshing. Not to mention the teasing mileage he was planning to get out of the whole affair would keep him going for months. It was not often that the stoic Maxwell deHarding displayed any sort of weakness...and he obviously had a weakness for Lady Elizabeth.

But as Michael watched his brother, a knawing worry began to work it's way into his belly. The way Max had gently touched her face before claiming her lips, the way the girl had gazed at him starry-eyed, the way neither of them had been aware of the crowd at all...it was disturbing...

And very, very unlike Max....

Michael saw Max break the kiss, his eyes opening slowly, a loving smile spreading across his face as he took Lady Elizabeth's hands in his. Max was still leaning very close to her...he was not saying anything that Michael could see, nor was she...but there was no question that something unsettling was happening between them...

Michael became aware of Martin of York when the other archer shifted the weight on his feet. His hood was still up, which Michael realized was a little odd...the sun was shining brightly and Michael could feel it's heat although he was using his powers to keep his own body at a moderate temperature...A regular human would have been sweltering...

The Yorkshireman had definitely impressed Michael with his skill during the competiton...if Max had not gotten so damn lucky with that last shot, it was entirely possible that Michael might have had to concede the event anyway....he decided that he should shake the man's hand. It had been a good contest.

But just as Michael was about to address the other man, Martin turned on his heel and strode away. * That man is very strange. * He reflected. *And very short... *

He was distracted as the crowd began to leave the stands, milling on the tournament field, trying to get close to Max to congratulate him. Lady Elizabeth was still standing at Max's side, her hand on his sleeve. Michael's eyes narrowed.

Suddenly Tess and Isabel were at his side, both staring stony-faced in the same direction as he...."What is going on with Max?" Isabel demanded, her tone not concealing from Michael her concern about the reckless way Max was behaving.

"How should I know?" He snapped back, rudeness his usual defense against Isabel's snootiness. Tess stuck her nose in the air in a manner that only she was capable of.

"Well, I'm going to get him. If we're not back at the castle before sunset, Lord Edmund will know for sure that we left the keep." Michael and Isabel watched her push her way through the crowd to Max's side. Tess grabbed Max's arm, the one that Lady Elizabeth did not already occupy and pulled him aside, quite obviously giving him a tongue-lashing.*Tess will set him straight.* Michael grinned.

He turned back to Isabel, who was staring off into the distance, a perplexed expression on her face. "Michael, look." She pointed into the shadows past the nobles' gallery, her curiousity clear.

Martin of York was skulking near one of the tents, looking right and left, obviously doing everything in his power to not be noticed. Behind him, an urchin was sneaking up, clearly intent on robbing him.

"Wait here Bella." Michael told Isabel. For once his betrothed complied, clearly warned by the tone of his voice.

Michael made his way carefully through the crowd, keeping his eyes on the small archer and the villain gaining on him. Just as the urchin was about to attack Martin, Michael grabbed Martin and pulled him out of harm's way. The screech emitted by Martin was the most piercing Michael had ever heard. The urchin took one look at the expression on Michael's face and beat a hasty retreat.

"Let me go!" Martin was trying to push Michael off him, when his hood fell to his shoulders revealing a head of short, touseled blonde curls and a face that decidedly did not belong to a man.

She had the lovliest face Michael had ever seen. Her lips were full, her nose pert and her eyes the shade of blue of the sky. She stared up at him in horror for a full minute, her mouth hanging open.

"If you don't close your mouth, you're going to catch flies." Michael told her wryly. The girl's mouth snapped shut and she glared at him.

"I suppose you are going to tell the Sheriff about this?" She demanded indignantly. "You could not leave well enough alone could you?" Michael felt his temper beginning to rise.

"I just saved you from a pickpocket! You could show a little gratitude." He snapped. She lifted her chin, her eyes disdainful.

"There is nothing in my pockets to pick you knave! I could have easily dealt with him." Michael realized that he was still holding the girl by her arms. He quickly let go, causing her to stumble into him. He grabbed her again and set her straight, letting go as quickly as possible. His hands felt as though they had been burned. He used the only defense he could - sarcasm.

"Oh really? And I suppose you would have arrested him as well and handed him over to the Sheriff?" She pursed her lips in disgust.

"No, I would have reasoned with him." Michael raised his eyebrow, amused.

"I see." The girl stomped her foot in annoyance.

"You are most trying. Now please let me pass before anyone else sees me dressed like this. The Queen will murder me for certain if she catches me."

"The Queen? What does she have to do with you?" Michael demanded, more roughly than he intended.

"She is my guardian if you must know." She pulled herself up to her full height, which Michael realized was not significant at all. She barely reached his chin. "I am the Lady Mary deLucie of Whitfield." Michael raised his eyebrow again.

"Impressive." He muttered, just to infuriate her. And it worked.

"Ohhhh! You beast..." Lady Mary slammed past him, getting ready to stomp away. She whirled abruptly as she was about to enter a nearby tent. Michael had watched her depart in her fury, impressed by her quick temper. * She reminds me of myself. * "And you better not tell anyone about this..." She threatened him. "My brother can have you arrested and thrown in the Sheriff's dungeon."

"And your brother approves of this..." Michael indicated the boy's attire she was sporting and the bow swung over her shoulder, evidence of her entirely inappropriate behavior for a lady. She stiffened.

"I'll have you know that Alexander is a progressive man. He believes that woman are capable of anything men are..." Suddenly she smiled and Michael blinked, momentarily stunned by her sudden change of mood. "And besides...don't forget that a woman almost beat YOU today..."

With that she turned again and sauntered away. Michael stared after her, his eyes bright, impressed despite himself.

Mary deLucie of Whitfield was no ordinary woman.

Part 7 | Index | Part 9
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.