FanFic - Other
"Czech Your Dimensions"
Part 30
by John
Disclaimer: Roswell characters belong to Warner Brothers. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG-13
About an hour later, Isabel has everyone together. Alex tearfully explains the Devin situation, his belief that Devin's life is important, and his parallel concerns for everyone's safety if Devin has to go with Uncle Aaron. As Alex finishes...)

Alex: I'm sorry people. This whole situation is my fault.

Isabel: Stop saying that, Alex. You didn't know what would happen to Devin when you jeeped his program. You were just trying to prove your suspicions. Actually, you should feel proud. You created a life form.

Michael: (In a matter of fact tone of voice.) This is a no brainer, folks!

(Alex grabs Isabel's hand, afraid of what Michael is about to say. Michael in the past has not been one of Devin's greatest fans.)

Michael: We can't ask Devin to give up his life for us, any more than we could ask anyone else to do so. We'll just have to hope against hope that your uncle doesn't probe him too deeply.

Max: I agree!

Alex: (Relieved) Thank You! This will make breaking the news to him a lot easier.

Max: No need for thanks, Alex. Devin's our friend too. Maybe, if I had to, I could kill someone in self-defense; but I could never harm a friend. He may be unusual, but in some strange way, I know Devin is alive. Back when we insisted on that self-destruct routine if he ever tried to tell our secret, we didn't know him the way we do now. I wouldn't even ask that of him today.

Michael: I feel for him, Alex. Isn't there any way to convince your uncle to let him stay here with us?

Alex: Would you be willing to meet with my Uncle Aaron and show him your concern and friendship for Devin. It might help me convince him to let Devin stay.

Michael: Absolutely!

Isabel: We all should meet with him.

Liz: Do you think it will help?

Alex: I don't know. My uncle's pretty set on getting Devin back.

Isabel: But from what you said, he doesn't even know our Devin.

Alex: But I'm afraid he'll want to. He's a scientist. He'll want to know everything about what is making Devin something we can call a friend.

Maria: All we can do is try. I'll tell your uncle I need my singing partner here.

Michael: We should do what we can for Devin. But we've got to face the fact that Alex's uncle may take Devin to the lab. If he does, and if he probes Devin's memory and finds out things about us, the reality is we need to be prepared to run. It not Devin's fault, but Devin with Alex's uncle equals a huge hole in our secrecy net. We should make plans just in case. And I don't just mean the three of us; all six could be subject to uncomfortable goings on.

Max: You're probably right. But that's something we should do that anyway, Devin not withstanding.

Alex: I have to go tell Devin the news. But at least he doesn't need to worry about his friends going against him. I know he'll feel relieved about that.

Maria: Tell him we're on his side and we want him here.

Michael: And tell him I said he's still OK. He'll know what I mean.

Liz: Why this? Why now? Things were just getting back to normal. But then, like we always say...

(They look at each other and then say in unison...)

Max, Isabel, Alex, Maria, Liz, Michael: WHO NEEDS NORMAL?

(Scene: Alex's bedroom, later that night. Knock...)

Devin: Hey, Alex.

Alex: Hey, Devin! How's it going?

Devin: Anna and I are going to check out that new dance club over on Desertway Saturday night. Do you think you and Isabel might want to come with us?

Alex: Sit down Devin. We need to talk.

Devin: What's wrong, Alex. Did I do something wrong. Is your dad grounding me?

Alex: No! That would be easy compared to this. Dad said Uncle Aaron called. He told dad he thinks it's time he reclaimed you. He's coming Saturday to take you back to Alamogorda.

(Devin stands up looking at Alex; hoping maybe this is one of Alex's jokes. As he sees the serious expression on Alex's face, Devin becomes deathly quiet, stunned by the news. He sees his whole world collapsing.)

Devin: Why can't he just come and visit? If he's curious, I'll tell him all he wants to know about the changes in me. But he needs to let me stay here with you.

Alex: It doesn't sound like that's what he has in mind.

Devin: But I just got back in school. I have plans. I...

Alex: It's not what I want. It's not what dad wants either. Or Max or Liz or any of us! We all agreed to try and talk Uncle Aaron out of it.

Devin: But what if you can't? I guess, subconsciously, I always knew this was a possibility. I just quit worrying about it last summer after your dad said I could stay.

Alex: Like I said. My dad's not the problem. He likes you. You're welcome here as long as you want to stay. But, as dad pointed out, Uncle Aaron is really kind of your "father" and probably really does have the final say.

Devin: This puts everyone in danger, especially Max, Isabel and Michael. You know I'd never purposely tell their secret, but if Aaron starts downloading things from my brain it could mean the end for them. Alex, you need to delete that information from me.

Alex: Nothing's changed, Devin. You know I can't do that without essentially killing you. That information is imbedded way too way too close to your most important files; those corrupted ones, the ones that make you sentient. I can't and I won't murder my adopted brother! I already met with everyone and we discussed this. There's no question in anyone's mind that your life is as important as anyone else's. Even Michael said to tell you again that "you're OK". We just have to hope Uncle Aaron doesn't look too closely at any files that would create a problem.

Devin: I don't know what to say. I'm touched by everyone's friendship. But it's misguided, Alex. At least three people and more likely six will have their lives ruined if the information in my brain is tapped and decoded. My life, short as it has been, was an accident. No way should an accident cause harm to anyone else. You have to do it, Alex. You have to remove those files.

Alex: No one considers you just an accident, Devin. Why even earlier today, Isabel said she had almost forgotten what was "under your skin". She said she just sees you as Devin. And she's right. That's what you are. It'll be OK, Devin. Maybe when he actually sees what you've become, we'll be able to convince Uncle Aaron to let you stay. Let's not even worry about it until we try.

Devin: Well...I guess for now...we'll see. But I am what I am, Alex. And I'm not worth six other people's lives. I'll be in my room for awhile. I need to think. I need to talk to Anna.

Alex: OK, Devin. Just know I'm here for you. We all are!

(The next morning, Alex gets up to get ready for school. He walks down the hall to see if Devin's ready. He knocks on Devin's bedroom door, but there is no answer. Carefully he opens the door. The bed is totally made. The room is as neat as a pin. On the bed is a note. It reads:

ALEX,
Thank you for being my friend. Now I am going to be yours. Please don't try to find me. Goodbye! Devin

Alex is panicked. Devin is gone. Quickly, he looks outside. Devin's gold Cherokee is still parked out front. "He can't be far", Alex thinks to himself. I've got to find him. In a flash, Alex is on the phone to Liz and Maria and in a silent connection to Max, Isabel, and Michael. They decide to meet in the school plaza to decide what to do. School can wait. They need to find Devin.)

(Scene: The Plaza)

Alex: When I talked to him last night and told him what was happening, his first thoughts were for all of us. He said I had to remove the information from him that might affect our lives. I told him he was asking me to kill him and no way could I do that. I also told him what all of us had discussed. He agreed to do nothing until we could talk to Uncle Aaron; or at least I thought we had.

Max: Where would he go, Alex?

Alex: His car is still at my house. He's not far, unless he took a bus out of town.

Isabel: We should check that out. Max, why don't you and Michael go down to the bus station? See if they've seen anyone that looks like Michael, except for the hair.

Alex: Good idea! Isabel, why don't you and I go tell the sheriff that Devin is missing. We don't need to tell him too much, but we should have his people be on the lookout. If we're lucky, he'll assign his new deputy to check it out. Maria and Liz! You two go find Anna. Try not to concern her and don't tell her any more than you have to, but see if she's heard from him. He did say he needed to talk to her.

Liz: OK! I think she has history first period.

Maria: We'll go wait for her to come out.

Michael: Let's meet back here at noon.

(Everyone did as planned, but still no clue as to Devin's whereabouts.)

(Scene: The noon meeting...)

Maria: Where else would he go, Alex? You know him better than anyone.

Alex: What did Anna say?

Liz: She hasn't seen him since yesterday. She said he was fine then and that they have a date Saturday night.

Alex: Or they did. We need to get him back so they can go on it.

Maria: She's kind of upset that we don't know where he is. I doubt we'll keep her out of this much longer.

Max: I don't think that's a problem. There's not much magic we could use in this situation anyway. I don't even think dreamwalking would work on him.

Alex: He does kind of go into a "low alert" mode sometimes, but you're probably right. This one is going to take good old fashioned detective work.

Michael: So what's next?

Isabel: Let's check out the park. He's been going there to play with Setoma's young daughter lately.

Alex: Isabel and I'll do that. Maybe someone ought to check the library. If he's trying to think about what to do, that would be a quiet place to do it.

Liz: It's worth a shot! Maria and I have to go to work soon, but I think we have time to do that.

Max: I have to go to work too. But let's see if we can make one more town sweep before we all have to give up for the day. Devin my friend, where have you gone?

(Our friends look everywhere they can think of that Devin might be. The day ends and they've had no luck. Alex's Uncle will be here tomorrow. The good thing is, if Devin isn't around, he can't be taken away. The bad thing is, Devin isn't around.)

(Scene: Whitman home. It's Saturday morning...)

Alex's Dad: Any sign of Devin?

Alex: No! I wish we could find him.

Alex's Dad: Your uncle will be here soon. I don't know what he's going to do when I have to tell him Devin is gone.

Alex: Tell him the truth, dad. Devin ran away so he wouldn't have to go back with him. Maybe what we've been trying to tell Uncle Aaron will sink in. Devin's a person now, a person that can think for himself.

Alex's Dad: There's more to this than that, isn't there?

Alex: What do you mean?

Alex's Dad: I mean, I think Devin feels like he would be violated if he's taken to some laboratory and put under a microscope.

Alex: Wouldn't you if you were he?

Alex's Dad: Probably! I'll try telling Aaron that, but you don't know your uncle. You think I can be stubborn...

(Doorbell rings. It's Anna...she's crying!)

Anna: Alex!

Alex: Anna! Any word from Devin?

Anna: (Sobbing) Can we go outside?

(They go sit on the patio.)

Anna: This came in the mail this morning.)

(She hands Alex a letter from Devin. It reads:

"Dear Anna,
By the time you get this, I will most likely no longer be alive. The good part of this is that I'll not have to see your sadness, your shock and your anger when I finally tell you what I've been unable to bring myself to say to you face to face. So many times I've thought, for your sake, that I should tell you the truth about myself. So many times I selfishly couldn't do it. I kept seeing your reaction in my mind. Your almost certain rejection of me was something I just couldn't face. Even now, I'm taking the coward's way out. Forgive me, Anna. Forgive me for even being with you at all. Michael kept telling me that my having a relationship with you could only lead to hurt. Foolishly, I wouldn't listen to him. Anna honey, Alex's Uncle is on his way to Roswell to take me "home". Home for me is not what you'd think. Home for me is a research laboratory at the White Sands missile range. You see, Anna; despite all outward appearances, I am not human. Some would debate the fact that I'm even alive. The secret I've kept from you and most everyone else is this. I was created in that laboratory. I was an elaborate experiment by Alex's Uncle Aaron, to see if a computerized artificial being could mingle among humans and pass as one of them. At first, all I could do was mimic what I had been programmed to do. I'm sure I was a crashing bore. Uncle Aaron is in his forties and it was he who programmed what I could do. After I'd been here only a short time, Alex thought he had figured out what I was. To prove it, he did something to my programming. You should have seen me the night he did it. I acted like a complete boob. No doubt, everyone had a good laugh. The experiment was a failure. I had been found out and no doubt should have been taken back to the lab straightway. But then something unexplainable happened. After the altered programming was rebuilt, everything changed. I began developing emotions. I could think and learn for myself. I started to feel touch in places I never could before. I was able to develop relationships with others that meant something. I could be an individual. In some inexplicable way, I became a true artificial human. Alex was amazed; but we had to keep me a secret for obvious reasons. Alex's father agreed to let me stay with them and things just progressed from there. I know this seems surreal. I'm not sure I believe it myself. But now, I must call an end to this whole charade. In my brain are some facts that could destroy the lives of six wonderful people. If I'm taken back to Alamogorda, chances are these facts will get downloaded and deciphered. I cannot allow that to happen. As I was flipping TV channels tonight, I hit a God Squad station. The preacher was quoting a verse from John in the Bible. In my short "life" I have never learned much about God or religion, but the idea that one person should die rather than a whole nation perish screamed out to me. This is the right thing Anna. I can not be selfish any longer. If I die, it does not matter. If I am taken away from here, away from you and my other friends, I won't have a life anyway. I'd have only an existence. It is better this way, Anna. I am sorry that you invested time and emotion in me. Early on, I tried to tell you...but it was just so pleasant and so natural to have you with me, I wasn't willing to give that up. I was wrong. I know you must feel betrayed and hurt. Just know that the hours we spent together were wonderful. You will make some man a fine match some day. I envy whoever that will be. You can show Alex this letter, bit afterwards please destroy it. Even these words in the wrong hands could create problems for my friends. Thank you for all you did for me. I know what I'm doing is right for all concerned. Do not be sad for me, Anna. I was an accident that never should have happened. I've never died before, so I'm not sure what it will be like. I'm not sure if an artificial life form can have a soul. Isabel once said she sensed something like that in me. It's as plausible as my being what I am, I guess. If so, I'll be looking down on you, my love. The one thing I do know is that you will be on my mind to the end; the last thing I'll remember. I love you Anna. Take care of yourself.
All My Love,
Devin

Anna: (Sobbing.) Alex! What is he talking about? He sounds like he's gone mad.

Alex: What he said is true, Anna. I've known it for a long time, but he could never bring himself to tell you the truth. He was too afraid he'd lose you.

Anna: I can't believe it, Alex. Devin and I have been together all summer. I've hugged him and kissed him. I felt a pulse on his arm. I felt life in him. This is crazy.

Alex: He's pretty amazing, Anna. My Uncle was very meticulous. Devin does have a pulse. He breathes. His body has warmth. But none of that matters, Anna! What matters is that he's a unique life form. We can't allow him to do this.

(Alex's dad walks out back with Uncle Aaron who has arrived.)

Alex's Dad: Do what, son?

Alex: Devin's trying to commit suicide, dad. He wrote Anna a letter.

Alex's Dad: Can he do that? Is suicide really what you'd call it?

Alex: It's what I'd call it, all right. How would he do it?

Uncle Aaron: Short of blowing itself up, it could just starve itself.

Alex: What do you mean, Uncle Aaron? I know he can eat, but he doesn't need to.

Uncle Aaron: But it does need light, Alex. It's its food.

Alex: Not it...he. Devin's real now, Uncle Aaron.

Uncle Aaron: I know you are all saying that, but it's just not possible. I don't know what you've done to him, but an artificial sentient life form is an impossibility.

Alex: I hope we can find him so I can introduce you to that impossibility. (Pause) Uncle Aaron, if he is still alive when we find him, won't you please let him stay here with us? He has friends here. (Looks towards Anna.)

Uncle Aaron: If what you say is true, that's all the more reason I need to examine it. This could be earth shattering.

Alex: And publicizing him would be life shattering. He deserves to have his own private life. Please, Uncle Aaron. Don't make up your mind until you talk to him, until you see what he now is.

Alex's Dad: It sounds like you don't have much time, Alex.

Alex: True! We assumed he was alive and on the run. I hadn't considered suicide, but the letter he wrote to Anna told us what he was doing.

Uncle Aaron: It composed a sentient letter?

Alex: Of course. He writes all the time. He's doing very well in school. He loves to learn.

Uncle Aaron: I find all this unbelievable. Especially that it would hate the thought of going back with me so much that it would rather kill itself.

Alex: It's not the thought of you, I'm sure. When I told him you were coming, he asked why you couldn't just come for a visit, but let him stay here? The reality is, Roswell is all he's ever truly known. He's probably just scared to leave it.

Uncle Aaron: Go! Go find him. Then we can talk about where it...he...lives.

Alex: I'm going to go find Isabel and have her help me look for him. Do you want me to take you home Anna?

Anna: Take me home? No way! We need to go find that lunkhead...that hunk of... whatever he is... so I can slap him silly for leaving me like this. Then I'll give him a great big hug and make him promise never to do it again.

Alex: So, you're not afraid of him? You're not ready to leave him even though you know the truth?

Anna: As long as he's the same Devin I loved last Thursday, I'll still love him today. Let's go, Alex! He's dying and we're standing here talking.

(Alex and Anna go pick up Isabel. Soon they are cruising...)

Alex: OK ladies! If you wanted dark, where would you go?

Isabel: Dark?

Alex: Yes! My uncle said if Devin were trying to kill himself, the easiest way would be to just go without light for a while. It would be like us going without food.

Isabel: How about the cemetery? There's those big mausoleum type structures. If you closed the door, I bet they'd be pitch black.

Alex: Worth a try!

(Alex heads for the cemetery. On the way...)

Anna: Alex, stop!

Alex: Here? Why?

Anna: We just drove past the Century Theatre.

Alex: I know. It closed two weeks ago for remodeling. They are going to make three screens out of the one big one. Probably eliminate the balcony too; darn it!

Anna: I know it's closed now, but that's where Devin took me on our first date. It would be dark in there with no show going on. And he said in the letter that I would be on his mind to the end. If I were Devin, trying to remember better times...

Alex: Say no more.

Isabel: You really think he's in there?

Anna: I just have this feeling. And I think he's still alive.

Isabel: Anna, do you have a picture of Devin? (Gets her wallet.)

Anna: Right here! Why?

Isabel: Nothing! Just wanted to remember who we're looking for. Let me see it.

(Isabel takes the picture of Anna and Devin in her hand. She looks at the closed up theater building. She closes her eyes. Isabel gets a flash of Devin. He's in there...barely alive...but alive nonetheless. She returns the picture.)

Alex: Anything, Isabel?

(She glares at him...looks at Anna.)

Alex: I mean, any reason not to check the old theater, Isabel.

Isabel: (Smiles) Au contraire! I think we must check in there.

(Alex gets the message. They pull up to the theater, but find it all boarded up. The door has a metal bar across it.)

Isabel: If he went in through that door, he dematerialized doing it.

Anna: He...he can do that?

Isabel: No! I was kidding. He does have at least one non-human trick he can do, but I've only seen it once. You'll have to ask him about it sometime, Anna. Show him you really don't care what he is.

Anna: All I want is my Devin back. I'll worry about all this other stuff later.

Alex: Let's go around back. Maybe there's a rear door.

(The three go around to the rear of the old theater building. There is a back entrance...)

Alex: Look! The door's loose. It looks like it's been forced open. See the pry marks?

Anna: It's him. I know he's in there.

Alex: The door's been chained from the inside. See? It will open a few inches, but the chain stops it from opening wide enough to go through.

Anna: We need to cut that chain somehow. We have to hurry; I don't think we have much time.

(Alex looks to Isabel, a pleading look on his face. Of course she can use her powers to cut the chain. But should she do it in front of Anna? If they take time to go get a hacksaw, it may be too late. Isabel makes her decision...)

Isabel: You didn't see this, OK?

(Isabel uses her powers to cut through the chain. The door opens freely and they step inside.)

Isabel: It is dark in here.

Alex: The electricity must be off. I tried a switch but no lights came on.

Anna: I have a small penlight on my key chain. Here!

(They shine the small light into the darkness.)

Anna: We should check the balcony.

Alex: Are you sure?

Anna: Absolutely!

(They begin making their way through the darkened theater toward the balcony stairs. As they walk...)

Anna: I don't suppose you'd care to comment on what I didn't see? Does it have anything to with what Devin was talking about in his letter?

Isabel: (Alarmed! She couldn't believe Devin would betray them.) What did he say, Anna?

Anna: He said the main reason he was ending his life was because somewhere in his brain there were some secret facts about six wonderful people. He said he was afraid his uncle would uncover those facts and, if he did, their lives would be ruined.

Isabel: (Relieved.) That's all?

Anna: Yes, other than to say that his life was not worth six others.

Alex: I guess I didn't get through to him, Isabel.

Anna: Are you two one third of the six? I'm so confused.

Alex: How about maybe we discuss this later. Right now we need to save Devin.

Anna: OK! Whatever you say.

(They climb the balcony stairs...)

Anna: Over here! Third row from the rear; that's where we sat.

(Sure enough...there's Devin...or what's left of him...sitting forward looking into space. His arm is draped across the seat to his left and he has a smile on his face. Alex shakes his friend...)

Alex: Devin! Devin...it's Alex.

(Devin does not move or respond.)

Anna: (Starting to cry) Are we too late, Alex?

Alex: I don't know, Anna. Maybe I can tell. Turn off the flashlight.

(The theater is totally black. Alex looks carefully into Devin's face. Very, very faintly, but definitely noticeable, he sees a dull red glow in Devin's eyes.)

Alex: Quick, give me the flashlight.

(Alex shines the little light right into Devin's eyes. He holds it there.)

Alex: I think there may be hope. I saw a very small glow when I looked into his eyes. I think, maybe, his processor is still running. I think his system initiated an orderly shutdown. As power got weak, it shut down everything else and fed what little energy was left to his brain. If we're lucky, we can get enough light into him to buy us a few more minutes.

Anna: Devin! If you can hear me...it's Anna. You are an absolute wuss for doing this to me. But it's OK! Just come back! Please Devin!

Alex: I doubt he can hear or sense you. That part of his system is most likely totally shut down.

Anna: Good! Maybe I can call him a few more names and not feel bad about it.

Isabel: I'm glad you can still talk like that, Anna. In some weird way, I know Devin would appreciate it.

Anna: He better! He's got a doghouse to work his way out of. I haven't decided how hard to make it.

Alex: I think he's been through quite enough.

Anna: You're probably right.

(Alex continues to shine the light in Devin's eyes. After another minute or so...)

Alex: There! That's probably all the good this light can do. Let's get him out to the car.

(The three carry Devin outside into the light.)

Alex: It can only get better for him now. Let's take him to my house and put him outside on the patio. Electric light works, but sunlight is better.

(Loading Devin in the front where he can get the most light, they head for Alex's house.)

Alex: We need to let the other's know we found him. I know everyone's worried.

Isabel: Do we use a phone or...

Alex: Up to you!

(Isabel pulls out her cell phone, not totally ready to "confuse" Anna any further. Everyone will meet at Alex's home. Alex pulls into the driveway.)

Alex: Help me get him around back.

(They carry him out to the patio and put him on a chase lounge, eyes to the sun.)

Anna: Shouldn't he be waking up by now?

Alex: I don't know, Anna. I've never seen him in this state. I don't know how or if he'll come to. Maybe Uncle Aaron can tell us.

Uncle Aaron: (Walks up.) Tell you what? I see you found it...him.

Alex: Yes! But when we found him, he was totally shut down, except for a very faint glow in his eyes. What will happen when he wakes up? How long will it take?

Uncle Aaron: You're sure there was a glow in his eyes?

Alex: Yes! Faint, but there.

Uncle Aaron: Good! That means his processor was still running. Alex, you'll understand this. In order to give his brain a fast enough response time I had to use volatile memory. If his processor had totally lost power, he'd boot up with just a basic operating system. No personality, no functions, no memories! But since his processor never quit working, he should just wake up the same as he was before. As soon as his power crosses a threshold, he will be able to move and talk. It'll take a while longer for him to have much strength. You understand how he's able to move, how I send out varying electrical charges to his polymer flesh?

Alex: Yes! He told me. That's ingenious.

Uncle Aaron: I thought so.

(Uncle Aaron goes back in the house.)

Isabel: Did you understand what he just said?

Alex: Yes, perfectly.

Anna: What does it mean?

Alex: It means Devin's going to be just fine.

Isabel: Why didn't he just say so?

Alex: He's a scientist.

(The doorbell rings. Soon Alex's dad brings Max, Liz, Michael and Maria out to join the vigil.)

Max: Hey, Alex. Is he going to be OK?

Alex: We're not entirely sure but I think there's a good chance. He was pretty far gone when we found him; another few minutes and we might have been too late.

Isabel: There may have been a price to pay for that timeliness.

(Looks toward Anna. Michael scowls as if to say "not another one to worry about".)

Max: Meaning?

*Alex: (Silent connection to Max.) Later, Max.

(Max figures out the meaning.)

*Max: (Silent connection.) It's OK, Isabel...if you had to.

(Uncle Aaron comes back out.)

Uncle Aaron: So, you all are Devin's friends?

Maria: We are. He means a lot to us.

Uncle Aaron: (Looks at Michael) Hey! I can't believe this. You...you're the one I copied Devin's features from, aren't you?

Michael: I don't hold that against you.

Uncle Aaron: What are the odds...the odds that you'd not only meet Devin, but that you'd wind up being his friend?

Michael: Actually, our looking alike has been handy. I hated it at first, but now; it's quite OK.

Uncle Aaron: I was sure by now it's, er...his actions would have become so repetitive to you all that he'd be driving you nuts.

Alex: That was your Devin. Hopefully you'll meet our Devin real soon.

(Suddenly, Devin's body moves and he turns his head. He sees everyone gathered around. Alex grabs Devin's left hand with both of his.)

Alex: It's about time, bro!

Devin: You guys! I can't believe you found me. You were wrong to bring me back. I told you not to...

Max: You didn't believe what Alex told you?

Devin: That was my problem. I did! I knew you wouldn't...That's why I...

Isabel: That was very noble, Devin. We appreciate the gesture. But we're even more grateful you didn't succeed. We'd much rather have you here and take our chances.

Anna: (From behind him.) Devin Whitman! You are a blithering hosehead! If you EVER do anything like this to me again, I'll...

Devin: (Turns his head to look at her.) Anna? You're here? You must not have gotten my letter yet.

Anna: I got it! I cried so many tears it melted away.

Alex: But it served a useful purpose. It told us to quit looking for you among the living.

Devin: Dang post office. Too efficient!

Isabel: Stop that, Devin! You're alive! You're going to stay alive! End of discussion!

(Doorbell rings.)

Alex: I'll get it.

(Alex opens the door to find Whilea, Setoma's young daughter.)

Whilea: Is Devin here?

Alex: Yes! He's outback. He's not been feeling well.

Whilea: He can get sick?

Alex: It's a long story. Come on out and see him.

(They go out to join the others.)

Whilea: Devin! What happened?

Devin: Whilea! What are you doing here?

Whilea: You didn't come to the park to play with me like you always do on Saturday. I waited and waited...

Devin: I'm sorry Whilea. I was feeling kinda run down.

Isabel: Alex! Did you teach Devin to make awful jokes like that?

Alex: (Smiles.) Not intentionally! But it's commendable.

Isabel: More like condemnable!

Whilea: So, can we play, Devin?

Devin: I don't know if I'm strong enough right now to carry you on my shoulders like I usually do, but maybe I could read you a story in a little while.

Whilea: I'd like that. By the way Devin, while I was waiting for you at the park I met a new friend. Her name is Leslie and she likes me. We played for a while.

Devin: That's great Whilea. Pretty soon you'll have so many friends you won't want me to play with you any more.

Whilea: Sure I will, Devin. You can play with my friends too.

Uncle Aaron: I am absolutely blown away by all this. I can't believe how Devin is so much a part of everyone here. It's like he's a completely normal human teenager. He has friends who like him. He has a girlfriend. And (looks at Whilea) there's a pretty little lady that counts on him to play with her! I give up! He can stay.

Alex: What did you say?

Uncle Aaron: I said he can stay. I can see this is where HE belongs!

(Cheers rise up from everyone. Anna runs up and gives Uncle Aaron a hug. Alex shakes his hand. His brother, Alex's dad, pats Aaron on the back.)

Devin: (Looking at Aaron) Thanks, uh...dad! (Aaron smiles.)

Uncle Aaron: Two conditions!

(Cheers subside.)

Uncle Aaron: It's OK. They're not so bad. One: I get to visit and check on my "son's" progress whenever I want. And two: I get the Cherokee back. I can't stand that old pick-up truck any more.

Devin: That will sure cramp my style.

Anna: Good!

(Everyone laughs!)

Uncle Aaron: You can have the old truck if you want it, Devin.

Max: Sounds like if you still want to go camping with us Devin, you better take him up on it.

Uncle Aaron: Well?

Devin: This is not a hard choice. It's a deal!

Alex: Hey? Is anybody hungry? How about I go visit Colonel Chicken.

Isabel: Sounds like a winner, Alex. Want some company?

Alex: Of course. Back in a flash, everybody.

Devin: Hey Anna?

(She gives him a hug and a kiss.)

Anna: I was serious Devin. If you ever scare me like that again...

Devin: I won't. I promise. I wouldn't want to put all of you through rescuing me from myself again. But Anna; what I can't believe is you're still...I mean, you read my letter and you still want...

(Anna leans over and kisses him again.)

Anna: Yes Devin, I do. Like Isabel, I sense that there's more to you than your physical being. For some unknown reason, God has given you the gift of a soul. In the long-term scheme of things, that's the most important part of any person. Your spirit has touched mine in such a way that is would take more than what I learned today to push me away from you.

(Devin actually sheds a tear.)

Maria: I didn't think you could do that.

Devin: What?

Maria: Cry!

Devin: Am I...crying?

(Anna wipes a tear away from Devin's face.)

Uncle Aaron: I'll be dammed. I didn't build that into him.

Liz: It's never happened before. We've seen him sad before, but he always told us he couldn't cry.

Uncle Aaron: He can't!

Max: Explain that then.

Uncle Aaron: I...I can't!

Devin: I can. These are not tears of sadness. They're tears of happiness. I guess when I'm happy, somehow I can do it.

(Alex and Isabel come back with the food. Liz tells them what just happened. As everyone is chowing down on the chicken...)

Devin: So Anna? Do you still want to go to that new dance club tonight?

Anna: Are you up to it?

Devin: Not right now, but if the sun stays out another hour or so, I'll be good as new.

Anna: In that case you "Charlie in a can" tunaburger, you better not stand me up. We had a date, remember?

Isabel: Alex and I'll come too. And afterwards, you two come over to our house. I'm sure there's a question or two you'd like answered, Anna. I think I'm ready to do that.

Max: Are Liz and I invited? We're soul mates too you know.

(They kiss.)

Michael: And how about Maria and me? I think maybe we qualify.

(They kiss too.)

Alex: Gee! I guess it's not the "We Six" any more. If I may, allow me to make an announcement. (Stands up on small table.) It is with great pride and pleasure that I, Alex Whitman, unofficial spokesman for the "We Six", officially declare us to be "The Soul Mate Eight"!

THE END

(And so our little tale that started last summer with a trip to Disneyland ends happily in the Whitman's back yard. Thanks to everyone who sent Tabasco sauce to Mrs. Zoombash. That wonderful effort got us a couple of extra shows, even if they did air at midnight. I think now we're going to try and force her to re-name her network. After all, it was our "Balance Statements" stories that put her on the map...and now she has the chutzpah to not renew us. Well, let her try out her new shows. She has the Eight's number. When the ratings tank, she'll come crawling back. In the meantime, have a great fall and winter everyone. Watch anything but the B.S. Network! Good night! J)

Part 29 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.