FanFic - Other
"An Affair to Remember"
Part 9
by Andaluchia
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
May 15th 5:00 P.M.

"Like the movie scene, In the sweetest dreams, I have pictured us together," Maria danced as she sang happily. "Now, to feel your lips, On my fingertips, I have to say is even better. Than I ever thought it could possibly be, It's perfect, it's passion, it's setting me free, from all my sadness, the tears that I've cried, I have spent all of my life, WAITING FOR TONIGHT! OOH! When you would be here in my arms! WAITING FOR TONIGHT! OOH! I've dreamed of this love for so long! WAITING FOR TONIGHT!"

"Maria!"

Maria jumped and spun around. Then she burst out laughing. "Liz! You scared the shit out of me!"

"I can see that," Liz said as she looked at her friend suspiciously. "Um...What are you doing?"

Maria gave Liz her biggest smile as she stuffed things in her purse. "Nothing. Just singing," Maria answered.

"Where are you going?" Liz asked. Maria walked up to her friend. Maria's giddiness was making Liz suspicious.

Maria kissed her best friend on the cheek and grabbed her shoulders. "To the stars!" Maria said to Liz as she squeezed Liz with happiness.

"Maria, you're starting to scare me," Liz said.

"Well, I'm sorry for that," Maria said as she grabbed her bag. "But, I've got to go!" "Oh wait!" Liz said, but Maria didn't hear her.

Maria ran out of the room and down the hall whistling happily.

She opened the door and stopped short. "AHHH! Kyle! What are you doinghere?"

"Sorry, Maria. I didn't mean to scare you, but I need to talk to you," he said. Maria's happy mood didn't go unnoticed.

"Now?" Maria asked in disbelief.

"Yes, now," Kyle said firmly. Maria sighed. He wasn't going to give up.

"Kyle, I have somewhere to be. Now, it's probably going to take me a few minutes to go outside and whistle for a cab. So, you have exactly that amount of time to talk to me," She said as she began walking out with Kyle by herside.

Kyle hurried to keep up with Maria's pace. "Listen, Maria. I need to get a few things off of my chest. Now, you were stupid to break it off. I just don't understand this. We had four years together and you just threw it away. I don't understand why. I thought we loved each other."

Maria stepped outside and looked around for a cab. Kyle waved his hand for a cab.

"Listen, Kyle. I'm really sorry about us breaking up. But, you have to believe me it's better in the long run. I still love you dearly just not soul mate type of love," She said gently as a cab pulled up.

"Maria, there is no such thing as soul mate type of love," he said. Maria smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Oh believe me, there is. I just hope that you find it someday," she said. Kyle opened the door for her.

"OK, so I'll just tell my family that you're very happy and having a good life. And I wish you the best," he said.

"Thanks Kyle," She yelled as she stepped inside the cab.

"Where to Ma'am?" The cab driver asked.

"The empire state building," she said and sat back sighing happily.

"Michael, where are you going?"

Michael hurried to gather up his things. OK, let's see, he looked in the mirror. Dressed nicely, check. Hairs spiky enough check. The painting for Maria, check. And last but not least, me out the door to see her, check.

"Oh sorry, Max. I have to go," he said.

"Well, Michael wait!" Max followed him.

Michael stepped outside and walked across the street to the Empire State building with Max following him.

"Michael, why are you going to the Empire State building?" Max asked.

"Max, do you have to know everything about my life?" Michael asked as he stepped inside.

"I'm just worried about you buddy. I mean you've been acting quite strange lately," Max said. Michael turned around and looked his best friend in the eyes. "Max, how long has it been since you've seen Liz?"

"What? Liz?"

"Yes, Liz. How long since you've talked to her or seen her?" Michael asked. Max thought for a second.

"About 6 years," he answered. Michael placed his hand on Max's shoulder.

"Do yourself a favor and look her up," Michael said. "Michael, why?"

"Do I really have to answer that? I mean hey, even I know Liz is your soul mate. So, do yourself a favor and reconnect," Michael told him.

"Michael, wait a second. Why the sudden advice?" Max asked.

"Straight from experience!" Michael yelled as he stepped in the elevator to go to the very top. He looked at his watch. In exactly 15 minutes he'd be reunited with Maria.

Maria sat in the cab impatiently. They were stuck at a red light and she had to be there in 10 minutes. She sighed and smiled to herself. If she got out now and ran she'd make it just in time. She took out $60 from her purse and stuffed it in the window pocket for the driver. Then she got out of thecar.

"Ma'am?"

"I'm just going to walk from here. Thanks," she said. The cab driver looked at the amount of money she gave him.

"Wait a second! You just gave me $60 bucks. It only costs $10 right now," he yelled to her. Maria turned to him and smiled.

"Keep the change. I'm getting married and you're the first person to know about it," she said happily.

"Well, hey! For a $50 tip congratulations!" He said to her. She waved good bye and ran the rest of the way.

She finally reached her destination. The only thing keeping her from there was crossing the street. She took a deep breath as her heart fluttered with anticipation. She stepped into the street to cross and looked up at the top of the building. She never saw the car before it hit her.

Michael looked at his watch. It was 8:30 p.m. He sighed deeply. She'd be here. He knew she would. She's only 3 hours late. She told him nothing would keep her from him. Why wasn't she here?

"And if one of us doesn't show, we'll never bother each other again?" He remembered her say. He looked down at the picture he had wrapped for her. A tear trickled down his cheek. She wasn't going to come. But, he would wait until they closed, just in case.

The thunder bolted loudly in the sky as the rain began to pour heavily. Perfect, Michael thought to himself. He stood in the rain, knowing that nothing worse could come than what happened today. His heart was not only split in half, but it was torn, shattered, and shredded to the tiniest pieces possible.

Finally the time came. They were closing and it was confirmed that she wasn't going to show up. He picked up the painting and walked inside the elevator to leave. "Are you OK, sir?" The man in the elevator asked.

"Yes, I'm a stone wall," Michael said.

Maria could hear muffled voices. But, she could see nothing. She only felt tiny pinches or pricks here and there. She could feel people hovering over her. She wasn't sure where she was, but she was afraid to open her eyes. All she could think about was Michael. What was he thinking? She hoped to God she was asleep and that she'd wake up on the morning of March 15th, ready to go meet her love.

He's going to think that he isn't important to you, Maria told herself. He's going to think that you realized you never loved him. He's going to think lies.

Maria slowly opened her eyes and saw about 5 doctors around her. Kyle and Liz were also by her side. She lay on a table with a bright light over her.

"Maria?" One of the doctors asked. Maria looked over at him. "Maria, you were hit by a car. Now, I want you to tell me when you feel something. If it hurts to talk just blink your eyes if it hurts," he instructed.

Hurt to talk? Maria thought to herself. Right now, it hurt to think because all she could think of was Michael. And how she'd never have another chance with him. They had made there promise to not contact each other if one of them didn't show. Tears fell uncontrollably.

Michael sat silently in his office at the gallery, the picture of Maria dancing in the stars sitting in a chair across from him. Why didn't she come, was all he could think about. The door creaked open as Max stepped inside.

"Michael?"

Michael glanced at him. Max sighed and sat across from him. Max observed him for a few minutes.

"Are you ever going to tell me?" Max asked. Michael sighed and shook his head. "Whatever it is," Max began. "I know it's hurting you. I've never seen you this way. You don't ever have to tell me, but just know that I'm there."

"Thanks Max," Michael whispered. Max glanced over at the painting.

"It's beautiful," he said.

Michael got up from his seat and grabbed the painting. "Thanks. I'm going to leave right now," Michael said. "I'll see you later."

"Michael, are you sure you're OK?"

"Max, I'm fine. I'm a stone wall you know," Michael answered.

"Yeah, I know," Max said. "But, sometimes even stone walls need to be repaired."

Michael looked at his friend. It was true. And right now Michael needed some major rebuilding, but he decided against telling Max.

"I'll see you later, Max," he said and walked out the door.

Michael walked out of the building and placed the painting next to a garbage dump and walked off.

"Mr. Guerin!"

Michael turned around and saw Juliet, a colleague of his that owned a restaurant. "Yeah, what?"

"Well, I couldn't help but notice you about to throw away an amazing painting," she said gesturing to the painting.

"I don't want it anymore," he said.

"Well, sir, if I may it would be perfect for my restaurant," she said.

Michael shrugged, "You want it? It's yours," he said and started to walk away.

"Uh, but, I'd feel better if you sold it to me. Surely, it's worth something," she said.

Michael shook his head. "No, it's not," he said and walked off.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 10
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.