FanFic - Other
"72 Hours"
Part
by Brad Fondak
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of these characters, settings, etc… They are all property of Warner Brothers, Pocket Books, etc… ©1998, 1999, 2000 and so on. I am just renting them for the purpose of the below story.
Summary: Max receives a letter that brings the group’s future and their lives in doubt.
Category: Other
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is part five of six of my story cycle, collectively titled “A Roswell Summer”. 1. Aftermath
2. The Beacon
3. Chronicle Foretold
4. True
5. 72 Hours
6. Visitors (forthcoming) You can find them all on the other Roswell stories page if you’d like to catch up. Once again, constructive criticism, comments, email me at bfondak@home.com.

Max and Liz pulled up the driveway. Max had sped up to approximately the speed of light after hearing from Michael. Liz thought that she was going to get tossed right out of the Jeep as the rounded the last turn onto Murray Lane. Good thing she had on her seatbelt. The car hadn’t even come to a complete stop as Max jerked the key out of the ignition and ran onto the lawn. Isabel, Michael, and Alex were waiting there for them, still outside.

MAX: What happened Isabel?

ISABEL: Oh my god, Max…it was terrible.

Isabel was in hysterics. She hadn’t been able to calm down for an instant since it happened. It would have been easier if she had been directly attacked. At least then she would have had a chance to fight back. But this, this voice, it had been inside her head. For all she knew, she could have imagined it. She was going mad just thinking of all of the possibilities. Alex and Michael had found nothing that could have done it. But the thing was, with this kind of situation, she knew that they wouldn’t. Dealing with something completely unexplainable had that effect on you.

MAX: OK, Is…slow down…what did it say?

MICHAEL: Someone went inside her head…the ones we’ve been waiting for.

MAX: How can you be so sure?

MICHAEL: How did it know our names? Who we were?

MAX: I don’t know.

ISABEL: Max…it wasn’t in my imagination! There’s someone here…close by. What are we going to do?

MAX: I don’t know.

ALEX: Well…let’s start with what we do know.

Just then, Maria’s Jetta tore around the corner. She pulled into the driveway and got out.

MARIA: Hey guys…Michael…what was so important?

MICHAEL: Maria…

ALEX: We’ll fill in the blanks later…

MAX: OK…we know that someone is after us.

MICHAEL: Yeah…that’s not anything new.

LIZ: But how can we protect ourselves or you against someone who can go into someone’s head like that…implant themselves in your thoughts…rape your mind…?

There was a long pause at that one. No one wanted to say the answer. Nothing. Nothing at all. But that had to do something, at least to stop it from happening again.

MAX: OK…Alex, Michael…did you guys find anything upstairs?

ALEX: Nothing out of the ordinary. Though that’s a contradiction in terms around here.

MARIA: Alex…now’s not the time…

ALEX: Sorry. But what can you say?

MAX: And Isabel…you haven’t heard them again since you came outside.

ISABEL: No, just that one time. About an hour ago.

MAX: Well…we better search the area around the house. If they know our names they probably know where we live too. Maybe we’ll find something.

The group searched around, having no idea what they were looking for, but searching for it nevertheless. After about twenty minutes, they gave up.

MAX: Well…what next?

MICHAEL: We can’t do anything more tonight. I guess we should all just go home…get back together in the morning.

ISABEL: It’s not like I am going to sleep…not after that…

MICHAEL: I’ll stay with you. If anything happens, I’ll be right there.

ALEX: Me too.

ISABEL: No, Alex…don’t worry about it. Go home, Michael and Max will have it covered.

Very reluctantly, Alex turned to leave. He knew that’s what she wanted. He had to respect that. He wanted to be there for her, but he knew that she was right this time. The irrational, insecure part of his brain was worried that she was turning away from him. He tried to banish the thought as he went back to his car. He was being ridiculous, he thought. Just because she trusted Michael and Max didn’t mean that their relationship was any less strong. They were her family. But, he thought, why wasn’t the feeling going away?

Index | Part 1
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.