FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Resolutions"
Part 2
by Kathryn C
Disclaimer: I don't won any characters, and am not associated with Roswell in any way
Summary: The Eve of the New Millenium
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Maria knocked on Liz's door that evening. She stood outside waiting impatiently for her to open the door.

"Hey Maria!" Liz said when she opened the door. A little too cheerfully Maria thought.

Her eyes narrowed, "What's going on Liz?"

Liz smiled nervously, "Not much. We are going to have others joining us tonight."

Maria nearly groaned, "Who Liz? Max? His sister?"

Liz nodded, "All of the above."

Maria did groan now. "I'm really not in the mood to deal with them Liz, but I guess it's probably already too late huh?"

Liz nodded again and held the door open for Maria as she let herself in. Liz was just thankful she hadn't asked about Michael. Otherwise, she probably would have left then and there.

Maria walked into the Parkers living room. Max was sitting on the loveseat with his sister beside him. Maria said hello and walked past the EZ Boy chair that had had its back to her. Then she saw what she hadn't noticed before; Michael was sitting in it.

It took all her willpower not to freeze then turn and run out of there. She did not want to face him. This was supposed to be a happy night.

Maria turned around to give Liz a murderous glare. Liz just shrugged and went over to sit down. Maria sighed softly and sat herself down on the floor.

"What movies did you rent?" she addressed the question to Liz.

Liz pulled out a video container from Blockbuster, "Um, I rented Romeo and Juliet."

Maria wanted to get up and leave. This was going to be a horrible night. Not only did she have to try and pretend everything with Michael was normal, she had to watch a movie Liz picked simply to watch DiCrapio. In fact, the only person besides Liz in the room that looked enthused was Isabel.

Maria sighed and grabbed a bag of chips Liz had set out as the movie was popped into the VCR. She settled herself on the floor and prepared to watch a perfectly good love story get ruined.

**********************************

About halfway through the movie Michael managed to pry his eyes open and looked around. The seating arrangements had changed. Liz was now on the loveseat with Max. She was enthralled with the movie, and he was enthralled by her. Isabel was also deeply engrossed in the movie from the other chair in the room.

Then Michael glanced down to the floor. Maria was still lying on the floor, near his feet. Except now she was sound asleep. She didn't snore, but he could hear her deep breathing.

Michael sighed. He knew exactly what it was he had to do. He owed it to her. He had to be honest with her. She deserved that much and more.

Being careful not to let the other 3 notice them, Michael got down on the floor and poked Maria with his finger. "Wake up," he hissed quietly

Maria jerked awake, "huh..wha....?"

"Shh!" Michael motioned with his hand, "I need to talk to you. Come with me."

Maria sighed. She really didn't want to. But, she never the less got up and followed him into the down the hall into the kitchen.

Michael flipped on the light, but said nothing. Maria waited and finally said, "You wanted to talk to me?"

Michael nodded, but still did not say anything. Maria waited as patiently as she could. Michael was just trying to find the right words to start with her, but he couldn't come up with anything. Maria finally threw up her hands, "Fine, if you don't want to talk, I'll just go back in there..."

As she turned to go, Michael grabbed her arm, "No Maria, please wait."

"Well what is it?" Maria asked impatiently.

Michael sighed, "Okay. I know you were angry with me for breaking off with you."

"Understatement of the year," Maria said, "I was fuming. I didn't buy that 'loner for life' stuff you were spewing."

"But," Michael said, continuing, "I really believed it was for the best. At the time, I thought it was simply because I didn't want to get too involved."

"Well, what was it really?" Maria demanded.

Michael looked pained, "Listen Maria, I really have been alone all my life. With the exception of Max and Isabel, I associate with no one. And, if we didn't share the common bond of being alien, they probably wouldn't be friends with me either."

Maria said nothing, just let him continue.

"In a way, I didn't want to get involved." he said, "But not because I wanted just using you for physical pleasure, I was just scared of you getting close."

"Did any of it have to do with your father?" Maria asked quietly.

Michael looked at her in surprise, "No...well...yes, a little I suppose. I didn't want you to have to see him. I didn't want you to ever see him. I was afraid it would make you look down on me, or pity me."

"But it didn't Michael," Maria said quietly, "I saw him. I was so angry with you, but after I saw him, I began to understand more about you. It's not pity that made me less ticked off, I just understood."

Michael shook his head, "You deserve better than me Maria. I'm just telling you this so you won't stay too upset with me for breaking it off. It couldn't have gone farther between us. We are from 2 different worlds."

Maria smiled at the irony, "Michael, yes we are from 2 different worlds in the fact that you are not from earth. As for on this planet, we are exactly alike. Who your father is, what he does, where you live, it doesn't define who you are. You do that yourself."

Michael shook his head, "No, he does define me. No Maria, I'm no good. At least in breaking it off I did something right, I protected you from me. Not only because of my family life, but because yes, I might have to pick up and leave some day."

"Don't do that Michael," Maria said, "Do not try and protect me. Let me make that decision for myself. As for who you are, there is nothing to be protected from. As for the fact you might have to leave, let me take that risk if I want. Either way it will hurt if you leave. At least this way I'll enjoy the time you are here. I'm not Liz Michael, I won't accept it."

Michael sighed, "Maria. I wanted to tell you the truth so we wouldn't be uncomfortable in each others presence all the time. I know there's no hope for a future with us. It would not work."

Maria shook her head "Yes Michael, it will if we want it to."

He turned away from her and ran his hand through his hair. She walked up to him and put her hand on his shoulder. "Please Michael, don't shut me out over this. If it's because you honestly can't stand me, fine, then I'll go, but anything else I won't leave."

Michael turned around slowly and gathered her in his arms. He didn't kiss her, just enveloped her in a tight hug. Maria held him back and closed her eyes.

Michael pulled back. As they stood there, staring at each other, Liz, Isabel and Max had started the New Year countdown.

"30!" came from the living room.

"In the new year," Michael said, taking her hand, "I resolve not to shut people out or try and make their decisions."

"25!"

"I," Maria said with a laugh, "resolve not to....talk so much."

"Think you'll be able to accomplish that?" Michael asked with a raised eyebrow.

"16!"

"You know," Maria said softly, putting her arms around his neck, "I heard somewhere that the person you have your arms around at midnight on New Year's is the person you'll be with for the rest of the year."

"I guess I better go find Liz then," Michael said with a smirk.

Maria punched him in the shoulder.

"6!"

Michael put her arms back around his neck and put his arms around her. He stared deep into her eyes as they approached the beginning of the new millennium.

"2!"

Michael lowered his head as Maria raised hers. She closed her eyes in anticipation. As they heard a joyous shout of, "1!" from the living room, their lips met.

At that same moment, all the lights in Liz's house went off. There were groans from the living room, as Liz began fishing around for candles. Maria and Michael were too wrapped up in each other to notice. The kisses were different from those they had shared in the eraser room at school. They were still passionate, but at the same time more tender.

They were still kissing there in the Parker's kitchen when Liz, Max and Isabel came in, carrying a lone candle.

The two quickly broke apart, but not before the other three saw what was going on. Liz bit back a smile and said, "Apparently they weren't as prepared for Y2K as they thought."

Michael nodded, quickly wiping Maria's lipstick from his lips. "Uh, I guess not." he replied lamely.

Maria just nodded, glad that the light coming from the candle flame his her blush. "Do you have any flashlights Liz?"

She nodded, "Yeah, they are in a box in the basement."

Maria's eyes lit up, "Michael and I will be happy to go find them!"

Liz nodded and handed her the candle. Maria grabbed it and dragged Michael by the hand to Liz's pitch dark, and private, basement.

THE END

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Michael - Maria
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.