FanFic - Michael/Maria
"As Opposed To Reality"
Part 1
by Kathryn C
Disclaimer: I don't own any characters, nor am I affiliated with Roswell in anyway
Summary: Maria has a dream.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: I do not really like Star trek, however, it is the only thing sci-fi related that I knew enough about for someone to dream about it.
Maria pulled up in front of the ciniplex, where she was meeting everyone. They seemed to be going there a lot lately, in attempts to be 'normal' friends.

She parked her mothers car and got out. Max and Isabel were standing out front already with Michael. Maria walked up to them.

"Liz and Alex aren't here yet?" she asked, trying desperately not to stare at Michael.

Isabel shrugged, "Obviously not. Alex called though, he just said they'd be a few minutes late. He didn't say why, but they were coming together."

Maria raised her eyebrows at the fact that Alex had called Isabel, but said nothing on the topic. "So, who's turn is it to pick the movie tonight?" she asked, shoving her car keys into her purse.

"It's Alex's turn," Max said in that quiet way he has.

Maria head Michael snort and turned to him, "What is it?" she demanded.

"Oh nothing," Michael said, "I just wonder what we'll be seeing this time. Another space flick no doubt?"

"Give him some credit," Maria said glaring at him, "He did it last time just to piss you off."

"And," she said, remembering Michael's reaction when Alex had picked a sci-fi movie about blood-sucking aliens, "It seemed to have worked really well."

With that, Alex and Liz came running up. Both were panting, and Alex had a sheen of sweat on his brow. "Sorry we're late," he gasped, leaning on his knees, "My dad's car overheated, we had to run here."

"At least you finally made it," Michael said dryly, walking towards the entrance to the theater.

As for Maria, she thought it was comical, but pretty pathetic at the happy expressions of Max and Isabel now that Liz and Alex had arrived.

**********************************

They sat in the crowded theater, all in the same row. Maria wished she hadn't defended Alex, he had picked a Star Trek movie. It was better than the original suggestion of Alien:Resurrection, which had been immediately shot down.

Alex and Isabel sat beside each other, lost in their own little world. None of this 'we have to be apart crap'. Letting Alex pick, even though it was his turn, was stupid. It's not like he and Isabel would be seeing much of it. What Isabel saw in him, Maria would never figure out.

Liz was beside them, with Max beside her. They weren't touching, but Liz was whispering something in Max's ear, and he was paying *very* close attention. Correct what she had thought before, they weren't touching, *yet*. They kept promising themselves they wouldn't act on their feeling, but yet they always seemed to just grow closer.

Michael sat to her right. Maria was on the end. Great. This was the way it was all the time, but it never seemed to fail to frustrate Maria. She couldn't touch Michael the loner, so she had to actually try to get something out of whatever movie they were watching.

"Maria," Michael whispered.

"What Michael the Loner?" Maria said back. She had taken to calling him that. It never failed to get to him.

Michael resisted wringing her pretty little neck and said, "I just wanted to ask if you would let me by so I can go to the washroom. I don't think I can squeeze by you unless you do."

Maria just glared and pulled her legs against the seat so he could walk by.

By the time he returned, the previews had ended and the movie had begun. It was a Star Trek movie featuring the crew from the ST:Voyager series. Maria was ashamed to say she knew all this, but Alex had dragged her to the last movie that had come out and explained everything.

Maria did what she had done that time too. 5 minutes into the movie she fell fast asleep.

****************************

Captain DeLuca sat in her quarters, reviewing the day's reports for the ship. She sighed, ad rubbed her eyes. To be perfectly honest, she didn't give a damn about any of these minor details. She really only wanted to be informed if some strange race decided to destroy the ship, or earth.

She sighed and flopped back on her Starfleet standard issue bed. It was late.

There was a buzz on the intercom signaling someone wanted to enter her quarters.

She went and opened the door manually rather than just call out 'come in'.

First officer, Commander Michael Geurin stood outside of her quarters.

"Commander," she said loudly, glancing around the corridors, "I see you've come to look over the daily reports."

With that she pulled him inside her uarters. No sooner had the door slid shut then his mouth was on hers and they were kissing passionately.

"Commander," she said, nearly purring as he kissed her neck, "I take it this isn't official business."

"Depends on your definition of official," he said wickedly, kissing her again.

"This can't go too far tonight," Captain DeLuca said, between kisses, "I have to be in Engineering in hour. There is a discrepancy Lieutenant I. Evans wants me to take a look at."

"Then we might as well make the most of the time we have," Michael said, grinning.

Maria gave herself over, knowing this was wrong. As her first officer had stated earlier, 'it feels so wrong, but yet is feels so good'. Never mind that she would likely lose all the respect of her crew if they found out.

___________________________________

Captain DeLuca walked into engineering an hour later. Her hair was a little mussed, but nobody commented.

Lieutenant Isabel Evans was chatting quietly with her fellow officer, lieutenant Alex Whitman. When she saw the captain approaching, she quickly got to her feet.

"Hello sir," Isabel cleared her throat, "If you'll come with me, I would like you to take a look at this problem with......."

Her voice trailed off as they walked away.

After a few minutes, the captain went to go get a tricorter from the back room to analyze some samples. When she opened the door to the storage room on the ship was surprised to find two members of her crew in there, kissing.

They only realized she was their when Maria uttered "Oh my God!" quite loudly. They pulled apart only to find the captain standing there, an unamused expression on her face.

Isabel came running up, when she heard the captains dismay. When she saw Lieutenant Liz Parker and her brother Ensign Max Evans in the room, her lipstick all over Max's collar, she bit her lip to keep in a laugh. Those two had been sneaking around for weeks, but until now the captain was the only one who hadn't caught them."

"What is the meaning of this?" Maria demanded. "Lieutenant, are you not on duty?"

"I was....uh.....just grabbing some....supplies," Max explained weakly, giving a guilty glance at Liz. "We just sort of....bumped into each other."

Maria gave him a scalding glance, "Do I look like I was born yesterday? I really should...."

She was about to give them a huge lecture when she realized it would be hypocritical to come down to hard of them, what with her own affair with Commander Guerin and all.

"Evans," she said with a sigh, "You are to go back on duty now. With the exception of meals and on duty hours, you are restricted to quarters for 2 days. Lieutenant Parker, same goes for you. If I ever catch you doing this on duty or not within appropriate areas, there will be serious consequences."

She turned back to Isabel, "Lieutenant Evans, I think you can handle the scanning etc. on your own. I'm going to sleep now. I come on duty at 07:00 if you need anything."

She nodded to Isabel, and after glaring at Liz and Max left Engineering lab altogether.

Isabel waited until she was gone to burst out laughing. "For God's sake you too," she said, shaking her head at her brother, "Couldn't you wait 1 hour until you were both off duty? In fact, you're lucky she let you off so lightly."

"We thought she had retired for the night," Liz said mildly.

The two lovebirds had left for sickbay where they were both supposed to be, when Isabel returned to scanning the samples they had picked up on the last planet. Some of the readings were conflicting. She sighed, all she wanted right now was sleep.

She felt 2 arms encircle her from behind. She didn't need to turn around to guess who it was.

"Alex," she said, protesting mildly, "We shouldn't. Not now.”

"You don't think she suspects anything, do you?" Alex said, kissing her neck lightly.

Isabel shook her head, "Nah, I don't think anyone does in fact. She did catch Max and Liz though."

"You're kidding," Alex said softly, tracing his lips along her collarbone, "What did she do?"

Isabel was having a hard time concentrating while he did that, "She..uh...she basically restricted them to quarters for 2 days and warned them never to do it again."

"That's not so bad," A Alex said, against her skin, "I'm willing to risk it if you are."

"I'm always willing," Isabel said seductively, turning around in his arms.

___________________________________

The next morning, Captain Maria DeLuca sat in her big chair on the bridge, sipping a replicated coffee.

Commander Michael Geurin sat in the chair beside her. Watching her. Wanting her. God, especially wanting her. He watched her slowly sip her coffee in a way that seemed designed to torment. He hoped he wouldn't have to stand up for awhile. These uniform pants did not leave much to the imagination.

"Captain to engineering," Maria said, hitting the com button on her uniform.

"Evans here," Isabel said.

"Did you have the results of the scan you were doing last night?" Maria asked.

"No Captain," Isabel said guiltily, casting a glance at Alex who was right beside her, "I was unable to finish. However, I can have the results to you within an hour if you'd like."

"Carry on," Maria said shortly and cut off communication.

All of a sudden the ship rocked with a sudden force.

"What's going on?" Michael yelled, nearly falling out of his chair.

"Enemy ship approaching," a bridge officer said, "They have fired on us."

"On screen," Maria said, standing up.

A face on the screen that seemed very much human appeared on the screen. "Talin?"" she heard a very surprised Michael say behind her.

She turned around for an explanation, "He's from the same species as me captain," Michael said, "And from Lieutenant and Ensign Evans. We met him a few years back. We did not part on friendly terms to say the least."

"That's an understatement," The alien on the screen said. "In fact we are going to destroy your ship for the sole purpose of destroying you."

Before Maria could get a word in, the ship rocked wit the force of another shot. "Red alert!" Maria yelled.

"It's okay captain," Michael assured her, "I know their shield capabilities. One photon torpedo and they are history."

"Are you sure commander?" she demanded. "Will it destroy them completely."

Michael nodded, "I’m sure it will captain."

"Is that wise?" she asked, "We do not want to start a war with your people."

Michael shook his head, "Talin is a rogue. He is hell bent on taking over the world on behalf of our race."

Maria nodded and turned to the ensign behind her, "Fire!" In one clear shot the ship before them was blown to smithereens.

"Step down from red alert," Maria said, sighing and flopping back down in her chair.

"I'll notify the home planet," Isabel Evans said from her position on the bridge, "They will be fairly relieved that they will not have to deal with Talin anymore."

"Captain, may I see you u in your ready room?" Michael asked. "It's of a private nature."

Maria nodded, surprised, "Very well. Lieutenant Evans, you have the bridge till I return."

As the doors shut behind her in her ready room she turned back to Michael, "What is it?" she asked, "We are on duty you know."

Michael nodded, "I know. But this couldn't wait, it is quite important, I assure you captain."

"What is it then?" Maria asked impatiently.

Michael pulled out a chain he had worn around his neck. There was something on it. He slid off the object. Michael then knelt down on one knee before her.

"Captain Maria DeLuca," he said solemnly, holding up the ring, "Will you marry me?"

"Michael, are you insane!" Maria exclaimed, "This can't be happening."

"Yes it can and it is," Michael assured her, "don't tell me I’m insane. You love me right?"

"Well, yes...."

"And I love you and that is all that matters," Michael said, "So come on, what's it going to be."

"I'm your commanding officer," Maria objected. "I know there is no law against it, but still. Can we even handle that?"

"As long as you don't make me solute you in bed," Michael said solemnly, "I don't care. Now, don't even bring up the crew and their respect like you did before. You will have their respect, even if you deign to marry an underling alien commander like me."

Maria stood there for a moment, unsure. Then it came out, "Yes."

"You'll marry me?" Michael asked, "For real."

"Yes," Maria sighed.

When Michael didn't move from his kneeling position for the longest time Maria said, "Well, are you going to kiss me of your own free will or do I have to order you to do it?"

Michael didn't say anything, just laughed and leapt to his feet. He kissed her with and urgency and passion that he hadn't exhibited since their first kiss.

Maria never wanted it to end, so when she felt a pricking on her knee she ignored it and continued kissing her first officer. When it finally became to much to ignore, she opened her eyes.

****************

She was no longer on starship Voyager. She was in a movie theater in Roswell New Mexico. However, there was an alien poking her leg.

"For God's sake," he hissed, "Would you stay awake? I bet the people in the first row could hear you snoring."

"I do not snore," Maria said indignantly, turning to him.

"Oh yes you do," Michael assured her, turning back to the screen.

As Maria watched him watch the movie she was unable to keep the smile off her face. "What are you grinning at?" he demanded when he caught her staring, "Do I have something on my face."

Maria said nothing, and turned back to the screen. As she watched the screen she decided she like her movie better. As she glanced at Michael the Loner beside her who kept shoving big handfuls of popcorn into his mouth and ignoring her, she decided it beat real life all to hell.

THE END

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.