FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Homework and Dance Lessons "
Part 1
by hitchhiker
Disclaimer: The usual. The characters and Roswell don’t belong to me, but to WB, etc. I’m only borrowing them for a while!
Summary: After the brief truce they come to in Sexual Healing, our favorite couple reach a level of semi-comfort in their relationship. (Sigh, if M&M ever become completely comfortable with their lives and themselves, they wouldn’t be M&M!)
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Authors Note: The narrative works in part through introspection, memory and flashback, but I haven’t put markers to indicate these moments because I think it spoils the effect. But any feedback is welcome. As for distribution, ask first!
Max and Isabel paused outside Michael’s apartment and knocked on the door. Michael had been living on his own since their father, Philip Evans, had helped him petition for emancipation. It was a late Saturday morning and Isabel thought they would drop by to see if their oft-brooding friend would want some company, maybe go to the mall or a movie, and later maybe to the Crashdown for a shot of Alien Blast. While they were glad that Michael was finally freed of his foster father’s abuse, Isabel especially felt a touch of guilt at her role in the wrenching of Michael from the only home he’d ever known. She wanted Michael to know that she and Max were there for him now that he was truly on his own.

Michael was taking a long time to come to the door. Just as Isabel was about to use her powers on the lock, they heard a fumbling behind the closed door, which soon opened to reveal their friend, rubbing sleep out of his eyes, his hair even more tousled than usual.

“What’s up?” he yawned, letting them in. Still groggy, he walked to the kitchen to splash his face with water.

“We were just wondering if you wanted to---” Max stopped as he felt Isabel jerk his arm. He followed her eyes to the bed in the bedroom beyond, and caught sight - just barely - of a blonde head and a bare shoulder peeking through the disheveled sheets.

Michael had to smile as he came in that moment and caught the look on their faces. And he had thought nothing, save the threat of exposure of their otherworldly identities, could ruffle the Evans siblings. They were his closest friends this side of the galaxy and there wasn’t a thing he wouldn’t do for them. He stood for a moment at the kitchen door, in his grey tank top and boxers, and silently looked at them, wondering what he would - could - tell them. He considered sprinting for the bedroom door and shutting her sleeping form away from prying eyes, but that would appear that he had something to hide, that he was ashamed of her somehow. So he stayed where he was.

Yes, Maria had spent the night, but it wasn’t what he was sure they were thinking.

Since that day when Maria had come to his apartment, asking that he “not be cold or mean”, that day when he had put his arm around her and planted a soft kiss on her head, since that day, the sometimes infuriating, but always fiery, Maria De Luca had become a semi-stable fixture in his life, given a place which he denied even Max and Isabel. Yesterday, she had come over to his apartment, as she does two or three times a week now, after school to do their homework together. That was all. He took comfort in the domestic familiarity of their routine, even as he marveled at how different his life had become in a few short weeks.

So that’s what they had been doing last night - at least, when the evening began. Geometry wasn’t exactly Maria’s best subject and she had sat there, hunched over her books at the coffee table, her face screwed up in deep concentration. At these moments Michael enjoyed watching her, unnoticed. Last night, she had looked up, caught his eye and returned his gaze with a shy smile.

“It’ll take me a while to get used to this,” he had said wryly, rubbing the muscles in his neck that had stiffened.

“Studying, I mean,” when her brows furrowed quizzically. He had a lot of catching up to do if he wanted to get through this term.

What she did next took him completely by surprise. Maria got up from the floor where they were seated and descended on the couch he had been leaning on. Before he could turn around, she said: “C’mere, it’s time for a break anyway,” placed both hands on his shoulders and proceeded to knead the stiffness out of his tired muscles. The soft, insistent pressure of her fingers on his shoulders and neck produced a sigh from Michael’s lips, as his shoulders visibly relaxed. He couldn’t decide if this girl with the magic fingers behind him had singlehandedly brought the stonewall down, or simply that his resolve hadn’t been as fortified as he once thought it was.

Maria was completely enjoying the effect she was having on Michael. At his sigh, she leaned in and kissed him behind the right ear and grinned at his gasp, when her tongue had snaked out to capture his earlobe. And her hands went right on working, leaving his shoulders every now and then to sneak a caress down his chest. She was about to plant another kiss on Michael’s neck when he jumped up and pulled her to her feet.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.