FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Stone Refugee"
Part 1
by Paula
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Michael, Maria fic. My version of the scene when Michael runs to Maria in Independence Day
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Authors Note: Feedback: Yes, I'd love some, I'd better get some or suddenly Liz and Kyle are gonna get back together.
Michael allowed Maria to dry him off like he was a puppy, truth was that he was simply too drained to resist or care. The dam that had held his emotions in check was about to break and there was nothing he could do to stop it.

As Maria helped him take off his shirt he felt the first tear fall. He shuddered with cold nd long suppressed pain. Michael kept his eyes on Maria, watching as she cared for him.

"You're shivering." Maria began to dry his shoulders and looked up at him. She stared at Michael for a long moment uncertain of what she saw. *Oh my God. He's crying.*

Placing her hand on his cheek, she wiped his tears away with her thumb. *Dear God, what happened?* Maria took a deep breath and took his hands in hers. *So much for "no".* "Come here."

Michael allowed Maria to lead him to the bed, holding her hand tightly in his. Releasing her hand he climbed onto the bed and lay in his side with his back to her. *She's goin' to wanna know. Just like Max and Isabel. They butted in and ruined everything.*

Maria slowly climbed in and lay down beside him. She ran her fingers down his arm. "Sshh. It's okay." Maria gently ran her fingers through his hair. "You don't have to tell me, it's okay."

Michael was overwhelmed by the gratitude that flooded through him. *Thank you,* he thought unable to find his voice. Michael began to cry in earnest, sobs wracking his body. Finally after all those years of holding it back, he released the pain that had built up inside of him. Michael finally felt safe enough to let the stone wall come down, even if it was only for one night.

Maria ran her fingers through his hair again and laid her head on his shoulder trying to comfort him. "Sshh. It's okay. Whatever it is, it's okay."

Michael turned to face her tears streaming down his face.

"Oh, Michael." Maria pulled him to her holding him tightly in her arms. He wrapped his arms around her allowing himself to take comfort in Maria, just this once.

After a while Michael calmed a bit and his tears subsided. After a few more minutes he pulled back a bit still not moving out of her embrace.

Maria met his gaze studying him intently. "Better, now?" she askedsoftly.

"Yeah." Michael replied hoarsely. "Thank you."

Maria's brow furrowed. "For what?"

"For not demanding to know what's going on. For just being here." Michael ran his fingers through his hair nervously.

Maria took his hand in hers. "You know I'm here for you, Michael. I know that you think that you can't get close to anyone, that you have to be a rock. But you know I'll always help you whenever you need it."

Michael nodded not sure what to say. *After all the times I"ve pushed her away. All the times I acted like a complete jerk, she's still willing to be my friend.*

Maria remained silent allowing him some space. Michael sighed and rolled onto his back.

"Max and Isabel just can't mind their own business. If I'd have shown up like this on them they would have demanded to know everything. Not asked. Demanded." Michael sat up and ran both hands through his hair. "They always have to know everything. They can't just mind their own business."

Maria moved closer and wrapped her arms around him from behind. "They care about you, Michael." As she spoke she laid her cheek on his shoulder.

"I know." Michael sighed. "But they don't understand, they can't. And now they've made it worse." His voice was thick with barely restrained emotion. "It's over."

"What's over?" Maria prodded gently.

"Everything." Michael's voice was hollow and empty. The stone wall had been cracked.

Maria was frightened by the way he trembled in her arms. *He needs someone to be there for him, no questions asked.*

"Lay back down, Michael. Try to get some rest. Just for a while."

Michael allowed her to pull him back down and he curled up on his side facing away from her again.

Maria snuggled against him and draped her arm over his waist and rested her head on his strong shoulder. "Just sleep. I'm right here." Maria whispered soothingly in his ear until he drifted off. *Poor Michael. Something must be really wrong. I'm glad he came here.*

Maria tightened her grip on him and soon she too was sound asleep next to the boy she loved.

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.