FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Running"
Part 4
by Ashleigh Lou
Disclaimer: No own.
Summary: Content and joyful is the Guerin-DeLuca household.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Authors Note: Thankies to Selene. The band is Better Than Ezra, the song is "State Street State of Mind" from Artifakt. This is the end of the 2nd fic in my M&M/Music trilogy. Takes place about 2 months after they return to Roswell.
* * * * *
Come outside and we'll take a walk
You can laugh out loud
No one will talk
Go barefoot and never feel obscene
There's a girl over there by the windowsill
And it looks like she got some time to kill
She says
"Nothing ever matters and what if it did?"

But you don't think that it's so strange
Yeah don't act so surprised
She's quite content in a state street state of mind
* * * * *

Maria sat on her screened-in front porch, sipping herbal tea and rocking her three month old, Valerie, to sleep. The baby sighed in her sleep, and Maria smiled contently. Valerie's twin brother, Andrew, was already sleeping quietly in his cradle next to the rocking chair.

Maria thought back to the past year. She had fallen in love with Michael Guerin, Mr. Stonewall himself. She had gotten pregnant, and, along with Michael and four of their friends, had attempted to hide from a mostly-hidden enemy that wanted the four aliens and her unborn. After the babies were born, Maria had fallen into depression, and they had returned to Roswell in the hopes that she would get better. And she did -- upon their arrival into the small town she felt a spark of hope, and soon that spark had overcome her. "It's been one hell of a year," she said to herself.

Liz, Alex, Isabel and Max had made an arrangement with the school board after returning to Roswell. All four went through a series of standardized tests, and were allowed to return to school with their class as seniors. Maria and Michael had made the decision not to return to school, and both were studying for their high school equivalency tests. He had already returned to work at the newly rebuilt Crashdown, and Mr. Parker had raised his previous salary. Maria was due to go back to work there in a few weeks.

Maria and Michael had rented a small house on a quiet street. Amy DeLuca was against it in the beginning -- when they returned, she insisted that Maria come back to live with her and forget that Michael Guerin existed. Then Maria went outside and came back with Michael. Both of them had small bundles in their arms, and Amy nearly had a heart attack when she realized she was a grandmother. After her initial shock, she fell in love with the twins, and spent her spare time making alien toys and alien outfits for them. Michael and Maria often had a secret laugh over her gifts for them.

Meanwhile, Diane Evans had surprisingly become the twins' babysitter. Never having babies of her own, and adopting Max and Isabel when they were much older, she came to Maria herself and volunteered to keep them when Maria needed to run errands. After a few weeks, she told them that she would care for Valerie and Andrew after Maria returned to work.

The couple themselves were happy, and in love. It had been hard when they had returned, because living on their own was a lot more difficult than living with a group of people. Michael already knew this; Maria didn't.

The first few weeks had been hard -- they had borrowed money from her mother to make their first rent payment, and Maria hadn't gone back to work yet. Soon they had settled into a quiet rhythm, though, and Maria knew things would get better soon.

"Nothing really matters," she told herself, "as long as I love Michael and care for him and our children."

She scooped Andrew up with her other arm and carried them inside. Placing them into their cribs, she went into her room to take a nap of her own. As she fell asleep she thought to herself, "I am the happiest girl in the world."

* * * * *
...It's the song you know and so you sing the tune
And we try to talk above the din
About the world and the shape it's in
And then we laugh cause nothing seems to matter today

But don't think that that it's so strange
And worthless in your eyes
We're quite content in a state street state of mind
* * * * *

Michael showed the ring to Isabel and Liz. "Oh my God!" Isabel exclaimed. "Where did you get that?"

"It's been passed down in Maria's family for years. I went to her mom and told her I was going to ask Maria to marry me, and she pulled this out. Seems every oldest daughter gets it -- in Maria's case, only daughter."

"And she just handed this to you?" Liz questioned.

"Not without warning me first," Michael answered, and the three of them burst into laughter.

Isabel hugged Michael close. "I'm so happy for you guys. I guess soon we'll be planning the wedding!"

Michael laughed. "I must be the happiest man alive."

* * * * *

Michael came home to find both of his children wrapped in towels, just out of the bathtub. Taking Andrew into the bathroom, he made sure he was warm before applying lotion, powder and a diaper to him. Across the room, Maria came in and began doing the same to Valerie.

"Have I ever told you that you're a great father, Michael Guerin?" She smiled at him as they slipped pajamas on the two.

"Nah," he laughed, "it's just something I assume."

After the babies were fed and sleeping, the couple wandered into the living room. Both tired, they plopped down on the couch. Michael pulled her close to him, and Maria scooted her feet into his lap. "This feels good," she whispered into his ear.

"The best," he replied, and kissed her forehead. He felt a wave of excitement and happiness wash over him, and he knew it was time.

Michael turned Maria's face so she was looking at him. "Maria, I... well, I'm kinda nervous about this, so be patient. I love you so much, and this is the most perfect life I could have ever imagined. It wasn't what we wanted it to be, and we still have a long way to go, but, I have never been more happy in my life. When I first let you in, it was... well, no one had ever been close to me in my life, besides Max and Isabel. I wanted to run and hide. When you told me you were pregnant, I closed back up again for a moment, and I didn't like that feeling. I don't ever want that feeling again. I don't like being alone and I know you don't either." Michael paused and pulled the ring box out of his pocket. "Maria, let's never be alone again. Marry me."

She stared at the ring for a moment. "That's my mother's engagement ring -- it's a family heirloom, passed on to the first daughters. Where did you get that?" Michael laughed. "From your mother, of course."

Maria wrapped Michael in her arms. "You know, a year ago, I would have never believed it if someone told me that you were going to propose marriage. I would have died with laughter."

Michael chuckled at that. "Me, too."

Maria thought about how perfect this was, and how perfect she wanted it to be forever. Remembering the days when she was pregnant, and their life away from home was still wonderful... knowing that Michael was a great father and the love of her life... and certain that this was the right step to take.

"Yes," she stated simply.

"Yes?"

"Yes!"

Michael stood up and swept her into his arms. "We're getting married!" he shouted as if he couldn't believe it.

"I know!" she yelled excitedly.

Michael bent his head to kiss her, and then they heard the wails of Valerie and Andrew. They both laughed and went to comfort their children.

"Just as it should be," Maria thought to herself. "Michael, our children, and me. Forever."

* * * * *
We'll come outside and we'll take a walk
The years fly by - the plants trail off
And you think of a time before you lost your way
And the music played and the man displayed
And the girl over there by the window would say
'Nothing really matters anyway'

You don't think it's so strange
Yeah you dont act so surprised
Well she's quite content in a state street state of mind
And he's quite content in a state street state of mind
Well we're all content in a state street state of mind
* * * * *

THE END

Part 3 | Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.