FanFic - Michael/Maria
"My Lover's Gone"
Part 1
by Kathleen-Louise
Disclaimer: I don't own anything.
Summary: Maria remembers the night when Michael left.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is my first fic so feedback would be really good. The song, My lover's gone is on Dido's album, No Angel.
Maria rolled over on her bed and slammed her fist into her alarm clock. She didn't know why she had even set it this morning. It wasn't as if she was going to get up anyway.

Closing her eyes Maria attempted to escape the pain of her memories and thoughts. But not even in her sleep could she escape as every painful moment was relived in her dreams.

She had woken up one morning to find him gone. There was no trace of his clothes which were left strewn on the floor the night before. She had found a note, a note he had left explaining why he had to leave. The note was almost unreadable, blurred by her tears or maybe they were his. Or both. She couldn't quite remember. It had been too long

-------------
My lover's gone, his boots no longer by my door, he
left at dawn, and as I slept I felt him go, returns no
more.
-------------

Maria slowly opened her eyes and sat up in bed. The dream, as usual, had not been hazy or unclear. It was sharply in focus and stayed firmly implanted in her memory. She got out of bed and walked to her dresser.

She opened the top drawer and took out the note. As tears slid down her face she read and reread it and finally, not being able to stand being in her room, so filled with memories of him, she dressed and left.

She remembered how, once, soon after he left, she had went with Liz to Italy to see her aunt. They had travelled by boat and sometimes Maria would stand out on deck and watch the other ships go by. Sometimes she would allow her mind to wander and fantasise about him coming home to her on one of those ships.

She could never spend long in her fantasies, though, as the painful reality always seemed to take over and crush her hopes. But if Maria was to be honest with herself, she would have to admit that there was no hope.

He would never come back.

He could never come back.

----------------
I will not watch the ocean, my lover's gone, no
earthly ships will ever bring him home again, bring
him home again.
----------------

She remembered the night before he left. They were lying in her bed and he had leant over to kiss her. In that kiss she felt what he felt and saw what he saw.

Most of all she felt how much he loved her. She had been doubtful, once that he loved her at all. But in that one kiss, everything was clear.

In that one kiss.

That last kiss.

----------------
My lover's gone, I know that kiss will be my last, no
more his song, the tune upon his lips has passed, I
sing alone.
----------------

She walked until she reached the steps to his apartment. There, she sat down and cried. She cried for her loss, she cried for what they had and most of all, she cried for what they would never be able to have. She cried until she had no more tears left.

---------------- While I watch the ocean, my lover's gone, no earthly
ships will ever bring him home again, bring him home
again.

The end

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.