FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Lie To Me"
Part 1
by Aelita
Disclaimer: Fine, they're not mine. Do you have to rub it in? The song is not mine also. It belongs to... I don't know who it belongs to, but I know who sings it, Lara Fabian and it's called "You're not from here".
Summary: It was written as post-destiny, but it can take place farther down in the future.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
The moment he entered he felt her presence. Her unmistakable essence. His heart leaped and he froze. The air in the room was almost colored by her distinct scent. Flowers. But he could never place the finger on which flower. It wasn't the obvious choices of roses or jasmine. Something a little more delicate and exotic.

He flinched and admitted that he was stalling but what should he do? A tiny voice inside, the one that was usually reasonable, screamed for him to get out and run before it's too late. Before he sees her and his resolve ruptures. Run before he hears her voice and stays here forever bonded to it. Probably for the first time in his life he almost listened to that voice. Almost. He took a deep breath and turned around to face her. He was not the one to run from any confrontation.

She was sitting on the couch, clinging to a pillow. She raised her head and their eyes locked in a silent battle. A wordless fight for control. A fight that they both lost.

I don't know what is going on
You turn around and touch my heart
A silent moment speaks the truth

He took an involuntary step forward just as she got off the couch and did the same. A tear hiding in the corner of her eye frightened him and he clenched his fists, trying to control himself.

"You have to..." his voice cracked, giving her a chance to interrupt.

"Leave? No."

Familiar exasperation arose in his chest. She was always stubborn. This time he was glad because it gave him strength to step back and tear his eyes away.

"Maria." As long as he didn't look into her eyes he should be alright. At least he thought so. Right until the moment he heard her speak again. This time there was no stubbornness or anger in her voice. Just a repressed plea.

"Please Michael. I need... just don't tell me to go. Not yet."

His whole being responded to that plea. It took all resolve he had not to grab her into his arms right there. He clenched his jaw and gazed at her still form careful to avoid her face. He knew that he should tell her but couldn't find the words.

"You're leaving, aren't you." It was more of a statement than a question, followed by a shaky sigh that broke through whatever was left of his defenses.

His eyes found hers again and he stood mesmerized by desperation and fear pouring out of them. He wondered if expression in his eyes matched hers because this was exactly how he felt right now. Hopeless and scared. But she didn't need to know this. It'll only make it more difficult for both of them. His stomach tightened at the thought of never seeing her again, making it almost painful to take another breath. He moved his lips but no sound came.

He didn't know what to expect from her. Will she get angry and leave? Will she break down and cry? He wasn't sure but anything would be better than watching her just stand in front of him frozen, her eyes shining with tears she refused to release.

Something has happened all at once
It should have scared me in advance
But I was falling in those eyes of yours

"I'm sorry." He almost whispered it, hoping that she won't catch on the emotions he was carefully guarding.

"Lie to me."

"What?!" he stared at her in confusion. Somehow she managed to react the one way he never even thought of.

She almost smiled at the shock on his face but repressed it. She didn't want him to think she was kidding. She started pacing and tried to explain what she meant, avoiding looking at him at the same time.

"Lie to me. Tell me... something. Anything. Tell me that tomorrow you'll grab me and drag me into the eraser room right as I'll be passing it on my way to history. Tell me that I'll never make it to history or the next class for that matter. Assure me that you'll be working tomorrow same shift as me and describe how we will fight cause you messed up another order but too stubborn to admit it and will blame it on me. We'll yell at each other until Liz will ran into the kitchen to hush us down." She stopped pacing and moved a little closer to him. Her eyes studied his stunned face, trying to gather whether he understood her request. "Make me believe you'll still be here tomorrow." She took another step toward him. Her voice quieted down a little but was still frantic and begging. "Please Michael. Whatever lie you'll tell me, I forgive you in advance. I will never hold it against you. No matter what. Just make me feel ok for a few more minutes."

He couldn't tear his eyes away from hers. He held his hand out.

"Come here."

She almost ran into his embrace, her already unstable self-control dissolving as fast as his.

Michael tightened his hands around her shoulders and closed his eyes, enjoying the surprising strength of her hands around his waist and warmth of her body against his. Strangely enough he understood what she wanted from him. He craved just as much as she did for a few moments of happiness... of content that came from being with her. Even if those moments were in their imagination.

And so
Fear was gone
I knew there was nothing else
I'd ever want

"You won't make it even close to history. I'll snatch you as soon as you'll be coming out of the homeroom and we'll ditch the rest of classes. We'll sneak into my apartment making sure that old Ms. Gorman won't see us and call the principal again." he felt rather than heard her chuckle and somehow it released some of the tension that tightened his body into steel knots. He concentrated and tried to imagine everything he was bubbling about as vividly as possible. "And when I get you in here alone... I will make you the best strawberry pancakes with whipped cream you've ever tasted." He tried sending her the image he 'cooked up' and smiled contently when he heard her gasp in awe.

"Michael... I can... I can taste them... I can taste strawberry pancakes." She moved her head away a little and gazed at him in amazement and mock annoyance. "But honestly, do we have to eat them wearing nothing but our underwear?"

"Hey, a guy can dream too you know. Just be glad I didn't mix in some tabasco in them."

A real smile graced her lips and she swatted him lightly. He smirked. Mission accomplished. A vision of almost naked Maria flashed in front of his eyes again and with mumbled "What self-control?" he attacked her lips. He kissed her hungrily, almost fiercely. One of his hands traveled down her spine and tightened around her waist, bringing her closer, while the other entangled itself in her blond hair.

Her quiet moan "Oh, God" jerked him back into reality. His head snapped up and he gasped for air, trying to avoid looking at her flashed face. What was he doing? Didn't he promise to stay away from her?

"Michael." her fingers caressed his cheek until his eyes returned to hers. "I um... need one more lie from you."

He squinted his eyes questionably. She calmed down sufficiently but her voice was still a little shaky.

"Um... I want you to tell me that..." she took a deep breath and smiled. "that when I wake up tomorrow... in your bed, you'll be lying next to me."

I know you
You're not from here
I've waited for you to appear
To take my breath away
And make me weep

Something in the way she said it and the expectant gaze told Michael that this time it wasn't the lie she was after or rather her suggestion had a hidden meaning. And it didn't take alien mind reading techniques to figure out what exactly she was implying.

"Are you? I mean..." he stumbled not sure how to react without hurting her or himself.

"Hmm. I recognize the eloquence of my favorite Martian." She knew he grasped her implication and tried to hide her fear behind humor. She knew if he'd say 'no' she'd be crashed. She hoped he knew that too.

He glared at her.

"Maria, I can't..."

She swallowed and tried to hide her disappointment. She knew she shouldn't have gotten her hopes high but decided to give it another try.

"You *can't*? Is there anything I should know about alien anatomy? Cuz during those make out sessions *something* convinced me that you can."

Another unamused glare told her that her fake cheerfulness isn't fooling him.

"I *can*. Uh... I just don't..."

"Don't want me? Cuz that's one lie I don't want to hear." She kept her voice light but some of bitterness and uncertainty escaped.

He brought her closer and kissed her forehead.

"Don't be stupid. The same make out sessions should have told you that I do want you." He moved his head away and caressed her temple with his thumb. "More than anything I've ever wanted in my entire life. I just don't think we should." He hesitated, hating to ruin the moment but knowing that he didn't have a choice. "Whether we're ready to admit it or not but I'm leav..." a small hand clamped over his mouth.

"No no no no. Pancakes. Remember?" he smirked at her stubbornness and moved his head away from her hand.

"Yeah. But we still shouldn't." he spoke softly, hoping she'll understand that he wasn't trying to hurt her but for once in his life be responsible.

Maria bit her lip, trying to come up with words that'll make him understand why she asked what she did.

You're not from here
Not from this here and now
Just a touch of yours
And I fly... and I fly... and I fly

"Michael. I'm not doing this to keep you from leaving. I would never do that. And I'm not delirious or something. I know what I want. I want this... I *need* this... because... I'm not sure I could go on otherwise. I can't live always wondering what it would feel like... to be one with you. I have to have you. Body and soul. Even if it's only for a brief moment, that moment of 'us' will be enough. Only then I'll be able to let you go. I need..." she sighed frustrated at her lack of words when a quiet whisper finished her thought.

"Closure."

She stared at him in amazement. It wasn't just what he said, but also how he said it. He knew. She was hoping but never actually thought that he'd understand. She smiled and cupped his face in her hands.

"Yeah. Closure. Now if you tell me right now that you don't love me or don't want me, I'll be hurt but I'll get over it eventually. But if you're trying to do 'the right thing'... don't. You can't deny me this... act of love based on some rules we never followed. We've always done everything our way."

I can't get used to missing you
If this is how it's gotta be
I need an angel to watch over me
No one can hold the hands of time
But I can hold you in my mind
Over and over like a melody

They stared in each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity, similar soft smile on both faces. They were so in tune with each other they could almost feel what the other one was thinking. Michael gradually lowered his face and hesitantly and softly kissed her, giving her one more chance to stop him. She didn't take the chance, wrapping her hand around his neck and bringing him closer, deepening the kiss.

It took mere moments for their kisses to advance from slow and gentle to voracious and fierce. They kissed as people who loved each other more than destiny could foresee. They kissed as soul mates who knew that they are being torn apart. They kissed as lovers who would never love again.

For now
I'll stand still
For now
I'll be filled by the memory of your skin

Maria pretended to be asleep until the moment she heard the door lock behind him. She kept her eyes closed when he gradually released his embrace around her and slipped out of bed. She continued keeping them close while he quietly stumbled around the tiny apartment, packing whatever he needed the most. She refused to open them when he kneeled in front of the uncomfortable couch she was lying on and placed the last soft kiss on her forehead. She closed them tighter and bit the inside of her cheek to stop herself from crying out when she felt him move away and walk out. And only after she heard the lock, she buried her face in the pillow and howled. Only then she allowed the tears to finally fall.

I know you
You're not from here
You don't belong to lies and tears
The greatness of your soul
Makes me weep
You're not from here
Not from this here and now
Just a touch of yours
And I fly... and I fly... and I fly

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.