FanFic - Michael/Maria
"In The Dark Of The Moon"
Part 1
by Maea McDermod
Disclaimer: This story takes place before TLV (for the acronymically impaired that’s Tess, Lies, and Videotape) while some of the events in Crazy did happen, I chose to ignore others.
Summary: Maria’s dreams force the gang to overcome adversity and face a common enemy (or friend) Read it... you’ll see.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This story has been basically "Jaced"— kinda like being "Jossed", only with less vampires. It’s an interesting thing to see what sleep deprivation can do to people... some go crazy, some write fic.
"In the dark of the moon, we have our dreams to light the path." ~ Unknown.

***

Maria DeLuca shuffled around her room stuffing various items into her overnight bag. Just as she was preparing to walk into the living room, Amy DeLuca, Maria’s mom, opened the door.

"What *are* you doing, Maria? Do you realize you’re making enough noise to wake the dead?"

Maria shot her mom a side glance. "I’m spending the night at Liz’s," she answered, tossing her makeup caddie into the bag.

"And when were you planning on telling me this? It is a school night, you know... and last I checked, I was still the parental unit around here."

The short blonde smiled at her mother. "Yeah, I know... it’s just... well... I have to study for a bio test. You know that Liz is the best in the class, and... well, I haven’t been doing too well. So, Liz offered to help me cram all the knowledge of the universe into my head at the last minute... tonight."

Amy stood with her arms crossed, sizing up her only daughter. Finally she caved. "Fine! Go! But you’d better do good on this test, Maria. No staying up all night doing facials and talking about boys."

Maria gave her a quick hug, "Don’t worry, Ma... that’s so not going to happen!" Then she rushed out the door.

* * *

Michael Guerin answered the door to his apartment sleepily, grumbling to himself. //So much for getting to bed early tonight,// he thought.

Expecting to see Max or Isabel at the door, he was surprised when it was Maria instead. "Hey," he said, moving aside so that she could enter. Michael should be accustomed to her coming over now, since she spends most weekends with him at night. He wondered how she got her mom to approve a sleep-over night during the week, not that he actually believed that Amy DeLuca had any clue where her daughter really was the times that she was with him.

Maria walked in quietly and went straight to the bathroom to change. She came out minutes later with a clean face and her bunny pajamas on. Michael stifled the chuckle that bubbled into his throat. Without any words, the two of them laid down onto his bed, got comfortable and immediately fell asleep.

* * *

The next morning, Michael was awake long before the alarm, and Maria who was cuddled to his side. He liked to wake early, so that he could take the few minutes to just look at her.

//For someone who’s so against any attachments, you’re getting pulled into her too easily.// he thought, memorizing the curves of her face. //How the hell did I get so lucky to have this angel next to me in the morning? What did I do so right?// He only wished that he had the courage, and the right words, to tell all this to Maria’s face.

Michael reached out and stroked her cheek, watching as her eyes fluttered open. "Is it morning already?" she asked.

"Yeah. What are you doing here?" The question sounded harsher than he intended.

She sat up in bed, "It’s just that I sleep so much better when I’m with you. I’m sorry if you don’t like that." Maria got up and walked towards the small bathroom to get ready for school, but Michael intercepted her before she was able to close the door.

"No, I didn’t say that. I’m sorry that it seemed that way," he kissed her lips gently.

Maria just closed her eyes, "Why do we spend most of our time apologizing to each other? Just forget it. Come on, we’re going to be late for school if we stand here all day."

She shut the door, and Michael smiled… another thing that he wished he could do in front of Maria.

***

They ran out of the apartment, and piled into Maria’s car before she realized that she forgot her overnight bag.

Michael started to argue with her but stopped, got out, and went back in for it. Less than a minute passed before Michael ran back to the car, tossing the stuffed canvas bag into the back seat of the Jetta. "I don’t see why you couldn’t just pick your clothes up after school," he said, grumpily.

Maria rolled down her window, throwing the car in reverse. "I have more things in there besides my PJ’s, Michael. Things I’ll need before the end of the day. It’s a girl thing, don’t try to understand." She pulled away from his building towards the direction of school. Neither of them noticed Isabel sitting in her mother’s car around the corner watching them and listening to everything they said. * * *

Isabel Evans was angry, though she didn’t quite know why. //What business is it of mine, who Michael spends his nights with,// she thought to herself. //None... none what so ever, but why does it have to be her... Maria.// The name left a bad taste in her mouth. //What does he see in her?//

The loud bell signaling the end of yet another mundane class broke Isabel from her reverie. The tall blonde gathered her books then left the class, unfortunately bumping into the last person she wanted to see in the crowd of students... Maria.

"Oaf," Isabel snarled.

Maria was taken aback, "What?"

"You heard me, Maria."

"Jeeze, what’s eating you?" The shorter of the two women backed away a bit.

Isabel didn’t stand down. "You... you and your attitude."

"My attitude? What in the world is up with you, Isabel? If anyone here is in need of an attitude adjustment, it’s you... Oh mighty Queen of West Roswell."

"How long have you been sleeping with Michael?" Isabel asked, completely out of nowhere.

"Excuse me? I’m not--."

Isabel cut her off, "Don’t bother trying to lie, Maria. I went by his apartment this morning... I saw the two of you leaving together."

"I – I was just picking him up for school," she managed to say.

"LIE!" Isabel yelled. She rushed over to Maria’s locker and manipulated the lock to easily open it. The alien reached in, grabbing the bulging knapsack.

Maria elbowed her way through the busy hall over to her stuff. "What do you think that you are doing? That’s mine," she hissed through clenched teeth. "You have no right!"

By now the two teens had earned an audience. About a half dozen students gathered around the arguing girls, eagerly waiting to see if a fight would break out.

"You say that you haven’t been with Michael? Well, I beg to differ," Isabel dumped the canvas bag onto the school hallway floor, rooting around the items until she found what she was looking for. She threw the pajamas at Maria. "Need your jammies at school much?"

"Who are you anyway, his mother?? I didn’t realize that I would need your permission to sleep with Michael!" There was a gasp from the crowd, now that they realized with they were arguing about. A few girls nodded and yelled out, "Yeah, really!" and "Amen, sister."

"He’s my friend, and I’m here to tell you that he doesn’t need you."

Maria got right into Isabel’s face. "Well, I beg to differ," she said snidely, mocking Isabel.

Before the spunky human realized it, Isabel shoved her and she was on the ground. The glimmer in Isabel’s eyes terrified Maria, as she could only wait for the alien girl to attack her right there on the floor. The crowd around them grew to about twenty students, pulsating and cheering the fight on. One voice rose above all the others.

"Isabel, stop this!"

Maria glanced up to see Michael forcing his way through the crowd, followed closely by Max. Michael positioned himself between his fellow alien and the human on the floor, while Max helped Maria to her feet, and gathered her stuff.

"Are you okay?" Max asked her, quietly. "She didn’t use—"

Maria stopped him before he could say too much in the large crowd. "No. I’m fine, Max," she tried to reassure him, but she wasn’t too sure of it herself. The whole incident really affected the pixie blonde.

Michael glanced over his shoulder to check on Maria. Once he saw that she was not hurt, he turned back to Isabel. "What the hell do you think you were doing, Iz? What’s this all about?"

"I know what’s been going on, Michael. I saw the two of you this morning."

"And that’s why you’d do this? Attack Maria? She’s our friend... she’s my—"

"Don’t say it... I’ll be sick if you say what I think you’re going to say," she angrily interrupted. "No attachments, Michael. Isn’t that what you’re always telling us?"

He roughly grabbed her by the elbow. "Not here. If you have something smart to say, Isabel, you can talk. But we’re not going to discuss *this* now."

Isabel jerked her arm away. "I expect this from Max, but not you. She’s sucking you in..."

Michael didn’t want to hear anymore. He whirled away, took Maria’s hand, and stomped down the hall.

"She’s sucking you in..." she repeated. The mass of students started to dissipate, leaving the brother and sister alone in the hallway.

"Don’t... Max... don’t look at me like that," she said turning away from him.

"Isabel," he began, then hesitated. Finally he made up his mind what to say, and spoke again. "Don’t even think about trying this with Liz."

She watched him, openmouthed, as he just walked away from her. No asking why she did it, no wanting to over-analyze her motives... nothing. He just went away.

* * *

Michael waited until they were safely in the eraser room before he even uttered a word to Maria. He could tell that she was disturbed by the whole ordeal... the fear was virtually oozing from her.

"Are you..." he started to ask, touching her face and shoulders to make sure that nothing was harmed.

Maria stepped back from him, brushing away his contact. "Like I told Max, I’m fine."

"You don’t look fine. You’re shaking," he mentioned, pursing his lips skeptically.

"I’m just... a little shocked by Isabel... don’t worry about me, okay. I won’t let her little temper tantrum get to me," she tried to sound upbeat. Apparently it worked because he seemed to be convinced. "Come on, we should get to history class."

"Are you sure? Isabe—," Michael was silenced with a sharp glance from Maria. "All right... let’s go. Mr. Sommers will be surprised to actually see me in class."

***

After the hellish day at school and a tough night at work, Maria decided to treat herself by lounging in an aromatherapy bubble bath to calm her nerves. She tried to relax, but found herself running the events of the day over and over in her head... then she thought of Michael and how weirdly supportive he had been lately. Inhaling the soothing aroma of the bath water, Maria closed her eyes for only an instant.

The stress started to ebb away, leaving Maria feeling peaceful, content... eerily subdued. Color flashed behind her closed eyelids, at first quickly and brightly, then slowing... eventually fading away. In their place, a figure formed. Although she could only see a silhouette of the person, Maria knew it was Michael. She knew his stance… his spiky hair... his essence. The dark man reached a hand out towards her, however before she could step to him, another figure formed. This one tall and feminine — Isabel. A sense of coldness swept over Maria as the Isabel shadow forced the Michael shadow to lower his outstretched limb, puling him away. The human girl wanted to rush forward, to stop the other girl from taking away Michael, but she was frozen in place. Panicked, she called out to his back.

"Michael — No!"

He continued to walk away, but the dark female at his side turned, and stared at Maria with glowing red eyes. The girl wanted to scream, only there was a horrible pressure in her lungs... she felt as if her chest would explode.

Maria woke up suddenly, completely immersed in the frigid water of her bath, her lungs burning for oxygen. She quickly sat up straight, coughing and gasping for air, looking around trying to get her bearings. The mountain of bubbles that were piled around her when she filled the tub only minutes ago were gone, not to mention the water was no longer steaming hot. In fact, a quick glance in the mirror showed Maria’s lips were pale, almost blue. The water was COLD!

//This is impossible// she thought. //I just closed my eyes for a second!//

A knock on the bathroom door startled Maria and she jumped out of the bath, grabbing her favorite fluffy towel to wrap around her shivering body.

"Maria? Come on, what are you doing in there?" Her mom asked, through the door.

"Gee, Ma. Can’t I get a little peace and quiet. I’m just trying to relax here," she answered.

"I gave you peace and quiet... for almost two hours... now..."

The teen didn’t listen to the rest of Amy’s ranting. //Two hours?// Maria picked up her watch off the edge of the porcelain sink — her mom was right. She had been sleeping in the tub for more than an hour and a half. //I could have drowned... I almost drowned!//

She threw on her bath robe and opened the door, hoping her mother wouldn’t notice her blue lips or terrified expression.

"It’s nice of you to join us, Your Highness." Amy smiled, mockingly bowing.

Maria just walked past her, down the hall to her bedroom. "I’m going to bed… I’m, um... not feeling too well. Good night."

"Good night, hon. See you in the morning." Maria shut her door behind her and barely heard her mom’s last words. "Sweet dreams."

***

Maria’s dreams were anything but sweet... and when the blonde woke up the next morning, she was as tired as when she went to sleep. All night long, images of Michael ran through Maria’s subconscious. Every time that she tried to reach out and touch him, the glowing eyes of Isabel appeared, causing Maria to lose him.

The teen walked through the bustling school halls in a daze, not even realizing that she just passed by her best friend.

"Maria! Hey, what’s up?" Liz asked, concerned.

She blinked, trying to focus. "Oh, hey, Liz. What’s up?"

"That’s what I just asked. Where are you? Jupiter?" Liz laughed. "Late night out? You know..." she gestured toward the general direction of Michael and Max, both of whom were heading their way.

"No... anyway it’s not like that," she snapped, shaking her head. Maria immediately felt guilty about her tone of voice when she saw the hurt expression on Liz’s face. "I’m sorry... It’s just that... I didn’t sleep well last night..." The two girls hugged. "I’m sorry... Forgive me?"

"Yeah... it’s totally okay, Maria."

The boys walked up and Max draped his arm over Liz’s shoulders, leaning in for a gentle kiss. "Hi."

Liz smiled shyly. "Hi."

As Maria looked over to Michael, the images of her dreams invaded her head. He reached over to put his arm around her like Max was doing to his girlfriend and she could swear that she saw his eyes glow an evil red. She pulled away in a panic. "Don’t touch me!" she said, rather harshly.

The three friends stared at her in shock. "What’s wrong, Maria?" Michael asked.

She couldn’t even look at them. "Nothing," the girl mumbled.

"Yeah, right. Whatever." Michael started to stalk away, but changed his mind in mid stride and took Maria’s arm, leading her into an empty classroom.

"What are you doing?" she protested, resisting the urge to run from him.

Michael closed the opaque glass door, turning to her. "What’s eating you, Maria? I mean, you keep telling me that you want what they have, and when I try you just freak out. Give me a clue here... tell me what to do!"

"I don’t want what Max and Liz have. I want us to have something... else. Something special. You don’t have to do exactly what he does, Michael. You should show affection in your own way."

"I can’t. I wasn’t raised like them, in that whole wishy-washy loving family crap... all I had was myself. So, I guess I can’t show what I don’t know, huh?"

She just stood there, not speaking, with her arms wrapped tightly around herself. Michael noticed her change in attitude, and moved forward. "I’m sorry... but I’m trying." He stroked her cheek, causing her to look up into his eyes. "This isn’t about our relationship, is it? What’s wrong? Is it this thing with Isabel? Did she do something else to you?"

"No... there’s nothing wrong. I’m just tired." Maria had to take a step back from him, and reached into her purse to pull out a little vial of peppermint oil. She inhaled it deeply.

"This seems like more than 'just tired', Maria…"

"I'm serious, Michael. Everything's all right... and I'll feel better after a good night's sleep." She moved to the exit, turning to flash him the best smile that she could muster before stepping out into the hall.

Liz and Max were waiting for them to the side of the doorway, but Maria didn't even notice the two. She walked on to her next class.

"Maria?" Liz called out after her and started to follow, concerned.

The two boys went off in the other direction towards the gym. "So? Is she..." Max questioned.

"Who knows! She won't tell me anything. Women! Who can figure them out?" Michael said, exasperated.

Max slapped his best friend on the back and laughed. "I really don't think that we’re meant to, Michael."

* * *

Sleep did not come easily for Maria that second night either. The images of Michael and his red glowing eyes plagued the girl until she finally just woke up and stayed awake until morning. She was sitting up in her bed, shivering, when Amy came into get her up for school.

"Good, you're up! I thought I might act all domestic and make pancakes for breakfast. Why don't you get dressed and meet me in the kitchen... Honey? Maria, are you listening to me?"

She looked up blankly, and flinched when she saw the form of Michael behind her mother, his eyes a smoldering red. Before she could scream, the figure faded away. "I'm not hungry, mom," was all she said.

"Are you sure? I bought wheat germ at the market the other day... I can make 'em the way you love them."

"Not hungry," Maria repeated, standing to get ready for school.

"Oh. Okay, maybe Saturday morning," Amy said, trying to hide her disappointment. "I'll see you tonight then, after work. I should get to the shop early."

***

The school day went by in a blur. Maria had managed to avoid all her friends the entire day, but now found herself getting into her waitress uniform in the employee dressing room at the CrashDown. The lack of sleep from the two previous nights was really wearing her down. She grabbed a bottle out of her backpack and as Liz entered the room, popped four pills into her mouth.

"You're not getting sick, are you?"

"No," she replied, flatly.

"Oh. I thought... um... is that Echinacea?" Liz asked, pointing to the bottle in her friend's fist.

Maria raised the bottle, irritated. "Ginseng... I'm tired so I thought it would help."

They finished getting ready in silence, Maria leaving the room first. She ran into Michael by the lockers.

"Hey. I didn't see you in school today," he said.

"Yeah? Well, I was there... next time you should look harder." Her tone was biting, and she passed him to get out into the dining room. Liz walked over to him.

"I don't want to pry, Michael... but..." she started, her gaze trailing after her best friend.

"Then don't, okay? I'll deal with this tonight." He grabbed an apron off the rack and went straight to work in the kitchen, with a vengeance. Jose, the other cook, had to move to get out of Michael's way. The Latino man just grinned at the 'gung-ho' cooking attitude his younger counterpart was showing.

The dinner rush began almost immediately, bringing in the eclectic mix of tourists, locals and daily regulars... like Max. Isabel had become ghost-like with the group ever since the hallway fight.

Maria was having a tough time managing her tables, her concentration and focus was completely gone. Every time Michael called for her to get the hot food out of the window, all she could see was the dream image of him... the one that she had been seeing for days.

"Excuse me, miss?" A customer snapped Maria's attention back to the Crashdown. She was standing at a table holding two plates of food. "Is that our food?"

She stared blankly at the woman and her six year old son. "Uh, yeah. You had the Captain Picard burger, right?" the waitress asked, glancing at the bleu cheese burger with a sesame seedless bun.

Liz rushed by Maria, noticing that every thing seemed to be okay with that situation, and walked to the kitchen to get Max's food. All night her section was so full she could barely stop by to talk to Max, but once his food was ready she took an extra minute to deliver it. The slender brunette leaned over the counter to refill his cherry coke and spoke in a hushed voice.

"I'm kind of worried about Maria, Max. She’s been acting so strange since... the... um... the incident."

He turned to watch the petite blonde out of the corner of his eye, then glanced back at Liz. "She seems fine to me—"

The alien’s thoughts were cut off as Maria exploded at a customer. "I’m telling you that if you ordered a Tommy Lee Jones, I would have written that down! You *asked* for a Sigourney Weaver!"

The woman stood, confronting Maria. "Why would I order a something with mushrooms when I’m allergic to them? I know what I said..."

Liz jumped in between the older woman and her friend. "Whoa, let’s calm down," she turned to see Michael coming out of the kitchen to help. "Ma’am, we’ll get your Tommy Lee Jones out here right away... Michael, can you take Maria into the back and tell Jose that we need a TLJ on the fly?"

He nodded reaching out for his girlfriend, but she backed away, glared at him, then she stalked off to the kitchen.

When Liz turned around from assuring the woman that her table’s meal was on the house, she was pleasantly surprised to see Max with one of the long alien aprons on, taking the order of a new table. She stood there with an expression of whimsy on her face, watching him joke with the young children. Max leaned in to the oldest boy, who looked to be around six, and whispered into his ear. The two of them turned to the kitchen and waved excitedly at Michael, who waved back, confused. The kid and Max both laughed loudly as the older of the two walked away from the table.

Liz still watched him with her head cocked questionably to the side until he reached her.

"Wha—?" he asked.

"What did you just tell that kid?" she said, curiosity getting the better of her.

"I told him that my sister, myself and Michael are all aliens, descendants from the 1947 crash," he answered, matter-of-factly, "and that we're just like humans, rather run-of-the-mill really... except for the part about being from another planet, and being able to travel through time and space at will."

She gasped, "Max! You didn’t!?"

He simply shrugged. "The kid asked," Max’s eyes danced with laughter.

"Wow and I thought that picture of the fake alien I show the tourists was bad!"

They both walked in the back and immediately went over to Maria. The girl was sitting on the old couch, looking frailer than Liz had ever seen her. When she noticed their presence, Maria only glanced up at them briefly, then continued to stare at a spot on the wall.

"I’m really sorry, Liz." Maria began, her voice flat. "I have no clue what happened out there."

"Maria, I’m worried. There is definitely something wrong with you these past few days."

"I told you, I’m just..."

"Tired. Yeah, I know... I’ve heard. I just hope my dad has his cell. We’re too short staffed tonight for me not to interrupt his 'date' with my mom."

Maria jumped up off the worn couch. "Liz, no... please don’t. I can do my job. I just need a second and then I’ll be back out there as good as ever."

"If you’re so tired then maybe you should get to sleep early. Go home, Maria. Get some rest."

"Trust me... I’ll be fine. I’ll even apologize to that lady out there... just don’t call your dad."

Liz had a torn expression on her face. She wanted so badly to believe her best friend, but she was also the manager of the café when her parents were away. It was her responsibility to keep the staff in line. Finally in her inner turmoil, friendship won over duty.

"Okay, Maria... but once the rush is over, you’re going home... to bed," the brunette said, firmly.

"Thankyou," Maria said in an exhaled rush, not even realizing that she had been holding her breath. She left them, and went to get the fresh burger out to the irate customer.

Max went to his girlfriend’s side, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I just wish that I knew what was going on with her. I mean, I’ve never seen her this way." Liz motioned to the alien-themed apron. "You don’t have to work anymore."

"I kind of want to. I’m thinking this is a good look for me," he curtsied, flaring the metallic gray fabric out like a skirt. "You guys are packed out there, let me help. You’d do the same for me."

"Max, I’d do anything for you," she said in a small voice, staring at the floor.

He stroked her cheek, tenderly. "Me too."

Michael stuck his head out the door of the kitchen. "Come on you two... this food’s not going to serve itself."

Liz sighed, grabbing Max’s hand and led him back out onto the service floor.

Index | Part 1a
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.