FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Human"
"Silence"
Part 2
by Kendra
Disclaimer: I don’t own Roswell or any of the characters. The song belongs to Phil Collins (I did change the ‘Oh Lord’ part to ‘Alone’ because that is what it sounded like Maria was singing on the show and fits in better with my story.)
Summary: Just the usual, Michael figures out he’s in love with Maria fic.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: *indicate thoughts*
Liz and Maria sat in companionable silence behind the counter. The only sound was the clink of the forks being laid on the knives, and the soft sound of the napkins being rolled around them. It had been a busy night, the Friday night crowd more than double the usual since Molly’s Diner, one of the Crashdown’s competitors, had closed for the week while the owners of the family run business were on vacation. But finally everyone had left, the doors had been locked, the place had been cleaned, the only thing left was rolling the silverware for the next day.

Maria knew Liz was saddened by Max’s most recent rejection. She had spilled the whole story, his intoxication, the magical moments they had shared, and his vow of love that had disappeared when he sobered. But Liz had known he was drunk and that it would only last for those moments, so she hadn’t been terribly surprised when he had changed his mind, just saddened. But Maria was proud of her friend, it hadn’t broken her. She hadn’t even been avoiding Max. In fact the few days since that night, they had regressed back into the ‘good friends’ they had been before. Maria had been surprised at how well Liz had taken his rejection.

*Defiantly better than I took Michael’s* she thought. Liz had told her the whole story from an almost scientific perspective, detached. Only after she was finished relaying the story did any emotion enter her voice.

“I can tell your are surprised at how well I am taking this. You want to know why I’m not crying.” She said this as a statement, not a question. Her lips curved into a small smile, her eyes brightened. “It’s simple, I know he loves me, I know he knows he loves me.” She looked up into Maria’s eyes, her face breaking into a beautiful smile. “And I know I just have to wait for him to come around.”

Maria smiled with the memory of Liz’s confidence. It slowly faded as she thought of Michael. She had come to a clam acceptance of their relationship, or lack there of.

Liz interrupted her thoughts with a loud yawn. Maria looked up and smiled at her friend.

“Why don’t you go up to bed. I’ll finish these,” Maria said, indicating the silverware.

“You don’t have to do that,” Liz said, trying to contain another yawn.

“Hey, what else do I have to do tonight. All I have is an empty house waiting for me, I might as well be sitting here getting paid for my time.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot. Where is she this time?” Liz asked, the she being Maria’s somewhat flaky new-age mother.

“Um…psychic convention I believe, Dallas. Now get upstairs and into bed.” Maria prodded.

“Are you sure?” Liz questioned.

“Positive. I’d kind of like to be alone with my thoughts anyway.”

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Liz came around behind Maria, giving her a big hug and a kiss on top of her head. “But no depressing thoughts, promise?”

Maria grinned, “Promise. Goodnight Liz.”

“Goodnight Maria.”

**********************

Maria took a deep breath and slowly let it out, relaxing her tense muscles. Being here alone in the Crashdown, with the soft hum of the walk-in coming from the back, the stars shining through the front windows, the permeating silence of the night, it always seemed to comfort her.

Her hands stopped the mechanical folding of the utensils. Her spine tingled. Slowly she raised her head, her eyes met those of a shadow looking through the window. Their eyes held for long minutes.

His name came out on a breath, a whispered sigh, “Michael.”

He took a step back, then another, then turned and walked away.

Maria smiled and began humming, remembering Liz’s words, “…I know I just have to wait for him to come around.”

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 3
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.