FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Hideaway"
Part 6
by Mnemosyne
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Summary: Sequel to "Endgame." Michael and the others are gone, and Maria is crushed. Unexpected news shakes things up even more.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Authors Note: Lots of people seemed to like "Endgame," (unless they were just being nice ;), so I thought it would be neat to write a sequel. This idea was kicking around in my head even as I was writing "Endgame" itself. I suggest you read that before reading this, or you might be a tad lost. All considerations I asked you to keep in mind for that fic still apply here. Also, any medical stuff I throw into this fic has no basis in medical reality-- or at best, a slim relation. In general, I'm going on common sense and fantasy. I don't know from medicine! Hopefully people won't throw this back in my face! I know Spazzie wanted me to set this farther in the future, but I just HAD to write this story! Please enjoy!
Chapter 6

Liz stared at him, not understanding. "What? What do you mean you don't know how? Just..." She made a sweeping gesture with her hand. "Work your magic."

"It's not that easy."

"What do you MEAN, 'it's not that easy?'" Her voice was a little desperate now. "You just healed my headache! What's so different?" She realized even as she said it how silly it sounded.

Michael looked skyward, then back down to Maria's slim body beneath the covers. "That was...a headache. This...this is life and death."

"But Max-"

"This isn't a gunshot, Liz," he argued. "This is a body that's lost all of its strength. She can barely hold on as it is." He sounded as panicked as Liz was feeling. "I don't know how to fix that."

Now Liz WAS panicking. No. She had not waited a week, gone through seven hells, to end up losing now.

An idea suddenly struck her. "You have to talk to her," she blurted out.

Michael gave her a puzzled look. "Liz, she's totally unresponsive. I could talk to her till I'm blue in the face, and she wouldn't-"

"No!" Liz cut him off. "In here." She tapped her forehead. "In her head."

A moment passed, and then his eyes brightened. "You mean...dreamwalk?"

Liz nodded. "If she missed you enough to put herself in the hospital...what better way to wake her up than to let her know you're here?"

Michael actually managed a smile. "I think...I think maybe it'll work!" he exclaimed.

Liz fluttered her hand towards Maria. "So do it! Go! Time is wasting!"

Michael looked away from her, back to Maria, face glowing with new-found hope. She was happy to have been the one to give it to him.

Shrugging out of his black leather jacket, Michael climbed up on the bed, stretching out beside the pale girl. He buried his face in Maria's golden hair, still beautiful despite being brittle and limp from malnutrition. One arm wrapped around her waist as the other reached a hand up to stroke her cheek. "See you soon, sweetie," he whispered against her ear.

And he fell asleep.

******

The place was dark. Dark and cold. There was no light, except a dim glow that seemed to radiate from nowhere in particular. Michael looked around, suddenly sick to his stomach. God, how long had she been living here? Cold and alone in the dark? "Maria!" he called, and the blackness echoed the name back to him: mariariariaria....

"Go away." The voice was so nearby, it made Michael jump. He spun around, towards the source of the sound, and his heart leapt.

She was sitting on the hard, black ground a couple of yards away from him, one leg curled beneath her, one knee pulled up under her chin.

It took all his strength not to run towards her, wrap her in his arms, and kiss her until she begged for air. Instead, he took a slow step in her direction. "Maria?"

"I said go away." It was cold, almost petulant, the way she said those words. Her eyes weren't focusing on him-- if anything, they seemed to look right through him, and that hurt worst of all.

"Why do you want me to go away, Maria?" He took another slow step towards her.

That got her attention. Her eyes snapped into focus, and she stared right into his eyes, making him freeze in place. "Because you're not real," she told him. "You're never real." The fire went out of her gaze, and she looked away again. "I just want to be alone."

His throat tightened. "No you don't, Maria."

"Stop using my name."

"Why? Don't you like your name?"

"You say it right. You're not supposed to say it right. You're a fake. Only Michael says my name like that."

Michael swallowed, and closed the space between them. She didn't seem to notice when he sank to his knees in front of her. "What if I told you I'm the real Michael?"

She snorted, but didn't look at him. "I wouldn't believe you."

"Why not?"

She shrugged.

He reached out a tentative hand towards her. Maria pulled away, and he stopped. "Please, Maria? Let me touch you. I haven't...touched you in so long." He hoped the sincerity in his voice reached her.

It must have gotten through to her on some level, because she met his gaze. Then minutely, she nodded.

Michael didn't allow himself a breath of relief. He still had to gain her trust. Reaching out tenderly, he stroked her cheek, letting his eyes drift closed as he felt her petal soft skin beneath his fingertips. This Maria-- the dream Maria-- still saw herself as healthy, warm. Her skin was beautifully real.

Suddenly, she jerked away from him, and Michael's eyes snapped open, hurt. "Wha-? Maria?"

Her hand was at her cheek, as though she had burned herself. "I...I FELT you!" she whispered, shocked.

Michael let himself chuckle at that. "Of course you did," he told her. "I'm not a dream. You can't feel a dream."

Maria's eyes were still wide with disbelief. "B-but," she stammered. "Then what are you?"

His eyes softened, and he leaned forward until their foreheads touched. She didn't pull away this time. "I'm Michael, Maria," he whispered. "Really."

******

"Don't believe him."

"But he SEEMS so real! I can touch him!"

"It's just another trick of your mind! Don't believe it!"

"I want to believe it," she said out loud, hoping to quell the bickering voices in her head.

Michael must have figured she was addressing him, because he smiled. "Then believe it, baby, because I am here, in the flesh, to see you."

That was so him. So Michael. Maybe it really was... "What's your favorite ice cream flavor?" She fired the question off, stacato.

He looked puzzled, but answered. "Pistachio."

"Too easy." Of COURSE a dream Michael would know that. "When you'd visit Max, what was your preferred mode of entry?"

He grinned. "Window."

"STILL too easy!" She needed something hard. Something a dream Michael wouldn't know. Something painful.

Dream Michael's NEVER remembered the painful stuff.

"When you left," she whispered, "what were the last words you said to me?"

This Michael looked suddenly uneasy. "Hah! I was right!" Maria started to pull away, but stopped when he gripped her arms and kept her close.

"I said, 'Goodbye, Maria,'" he murmured. "Then I shut and locked your dormroom door and ran until I couldn't run any further. Until my legs stopped, and my heart raced, and I couldn't breathe anymore."

The eyes that pleaded with hers were so real. The hands that held her arms were so HIM. And he'd remembered... "Michael?" she asked cautiously.

The smile he gave her convinced her. None of the dream Michael's had ever gotten it right. "You believe me," he breathed.

She didn't answer. How could she? Instead, she flung herself towards him, and when their mouths met, any doubts she'd still had melted away.

******

He'd forgotten how sweet she tasted.

Maria's lips were still as soft and supple as he remembered, and just as delicious. Michael smiled inwardly at the realization that, even in her dreams, Maria wore fruity lip gloss. Watermelon this time. He ran his tongue across her lips, then between, and felt his heart skip a beat when her own eager little tongue slipped into his mouth.

Her delicate fingers twined in his hair as he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her close, like he'd wanted to for so long. He couldn't seem to remember a time when this moment, this breathless interlude, wasn't his only goal and heartfelt desire. Had there ever been anything else but this? Anything but Maria, and lips, and the shared breath and heat of two individuals who were drowning without one another?

When they finally broke apart, minutes later, gasping for breath, Michael kept her tight against his chest, too afraid to let her go. Maria didn't struggle. She cuddled up closer to him, resting her cheek on his shoulder, so that her explosive breaths cooled his feverish skin.

"I've missed you," she murmured, and he realized she was crying.

Reaching up a hand to stroke her golden hair, Michael gently rocked her back and forth. "I know. I'm so sorry, Maria. I've missed you, too." He kissed the crown of her head. "I'm so sorry. Please don't cry."

"Why are you here?"

She sounded so content. As if there were nothing wrong with her situation. And he realized with a shock that she didn't know what was going on.

Gently, he pulled her back, ignoring her little moan of protest, and looked deeply into her eyes. "Maria, do you know what's happened to you?"

She gave him a puzzled look. "Happened to me? What?" She chuckled. "I'm guessing I fell asleep."

Michael bit his lip and shook his head. "No, Maria. You're in the hospital for malnutrition. You've been there for a full week."

******

Maria stared at him in shock. "Malnu- Michael, what are you talking about?"

He cupped her cheek. "You haven't been eating enough, Maria," he told her softly. "Not near enough. Your body...it just couldn't support you."

Her shock compounded. "What?" But now that she thought of it, she could remember something about food...

Michael watched her mull over her memories. "Why didn't you eat anything, Maria?"

She looked at him. It was still unbelievable that he was here-- she'd dreamnt this moment a thousand times. And now it was him. The real him. He'd come to her. She'd needed him, and he'd come to her. "I wasn't hungry," she murmured.

******

Michael gazed at her for a long moment, then laughed. Pulling her tight against him, he pressed his cheek down against her hair. "You weren't hungry." He laughed quietly. "I should have known."

"W-why are you here, Michael?" she whispered for a second time. But now, she sounded afraid.

He moved her a little, and gazed down into her frightened eyes. "Liz...got in contact with me. It's a long story," he cut off her question. "I'll tell you later. All that matters is she told me about you, and I came, because I had to be with you." He swallowed. "I wouldn't let you face this alone."

"Face what alone?"

He sighed. "The doctors...They say you're too weak to wake up, Maria." Her eyes widened, and he touched his forehead to hers to calm her down. "But we are going to prove them wrong. You are going to wake up, and I am going to help you." His hand went to her stomach. "Both of you."

Maria looked at him in puzzlement. "Both of me?"

Michael gifted her with his famous half-smile. "Maria...you're pregnant."

******

To say she was shocked would be an understatement.

Floored. Bowled over. Stammering with amazement. Those might have fit better.

"P-pregnant?" she stuttered.

Michael nodded. "Six months."

"But...But, I don't LOOK pregnant!"

"You haven't been eating enough. Any weight you've put on has been hidden."

She nodded, dazed. Suddenly, a new thought struck her, and she looked at him in horror. "God, the baby! I haven't...the baby's all right, isn't it?"

Her heart soared when he nodded. "Fine and kicking. The doctors say it's a miracle." His hand made a gentle circle on her stomach. "I say it's more the genetics."

Maria smiled. "A little full of yourself, don't you think?"

"I didn't just mean me."

She blushed.

"Maria?" he asked softly. "When you skipped...weren't you suspicious?"

She shook her head. "I thought it was just stress. I was sure it would come back over the summer." She couldn't resist another smile. "I'm glad I was wrong." Her eyes met his again as her hands reached down to fold over his on her abdomen. "Michael, we're going to be parents." She couldn't hold back the disbelief in her voice.

He brushed his lips across hers. "I know, Maria. But first we have to wake you up."

Maria's heart sank. "I...I don't think I can," she stammered. "I've tried."

Michael's eyebrows furrowed in concern. "When?"

She looked away. "A while ago. I didn't want to be here anymore. I...I wanted to wake up. But I couldn't." She sighed. "I thought I was just really tired."

Michael's jawline hardened. "We're going to get you out, Maria," he told her. "I promise. That's why I'm here. I'm not going to leave you here."

Maria looked deeply into his eyes, frustrated. "But there's no way out."

He gave her a grim smile. "Then we'll make one."

******

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 7
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.