Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Don't Let Go"
Part 10
by Ariana
Disclaimer: I don't own anything
Summary: Second sequel to "Just Like Me" and "Can't Find a Better Man"
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Author's Note: Takes place after Off the Menu and before Heart of Mine. I suggest reading the first two parts to get the feel of the story. I love feedback so e-mail me.
Liz woke up at the crack of dawn and shook Maria awake, "Get up you guys, we got to get a move on."

Maria's eyes burned as she tried to open them, "What time is it?"

"Seven o'clock, so hurry up," Liz was already dressed and ready to go.

Maria nudged Michael who was still fast asleep beside her, "Get up Michael." She heard him stir but he didn't move, so she shook him harder, "Michael!"

"I'm awake, I'm awake," he groaned as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

Liz sat down on the other bed in their tiny hotel room, "Ok, so I have a plan. I'll find the Litvack building and the super computer while the two of you go find Leanna. Okay? I'm going to get us some coffee." Liz got up and left.

Michael lay back down and closed his eyes. "Michael!" Maria protested.

"Ok, I'll meet up with you guys later," Liz told them about an hour later when they finally managed to get to the university.

She headed off in one direction while Michael started going off in another direction. "Michael, where are you going?" Maria questioned.

"Administration building, I thought you could distract them while I break into the student records," Michael told her, thinking his plan was okay.

Maria shook her head in disapproval; "I don't think so." Maria turned and walked in the direction of the dorm that Alex lived in.

"Hey, do you have a better plan?" Michael asked as he followed her.

"As a matter of fact I do," Maria continued to walk.

Michael suggested, "Any plans on sharing with it me?"

Maria paused on the stairs to the entrance; "This is the dorm that Alex stayed in while he was here. I have a hunch that Leanna may also have lived her too." Michael considered the possibility. "I mean think about it, he had to have spoken to her and had some kind of relationship with her. The girl obviously knew who Liz and I were because she completely wigged."

"So you want to break into the dorm?" Michael hinted.

Maria had to roll her eyes, "No, just follow my lead." She entered the dorm and went straight to the front desk. "Hi," Maria greeted the student there.

"Hi, can I help you?" the girl asked politely.

Maria pulled out the picture of Alex and Leanna, "My friend…Ray." She pointed to Alex in the picture. "He used to live in this dorm, and I believe his girlfriend still does. Uh, I never met her, but Ray wanted me to give her this…uh…package and uh…stupid me, I forgot her room number. And that is where I was hoping you would help me."

The girl examined the picture more closely as Maria held her breath, "Oh that's Jennifer Coleman. Yeah, she lives in room 12 on the fifth floor."

"Great, thanks," Maria said with a sense of relief.

The girl went on, "But she already left."

Maria's heart sank, "Oh."

"You can give me the package and I can make sure she gets it," the girl offered sincerely.

"Uh…Sean," Maria looked over at Michael. "Do you have the package?"

"What package?" Maria quickly elbowed him in the ribs. Michael realized his mistake, "Oh, I gave it to you."

"No, you had it," Maria raised an eyebrow.

Michael lied, "You know what honey, I left it in the car."

"Oh no," Maria turned to the girl. "He left it in the car, so we'll go get it and come right back."

"Okay," the girl threw them a strange look as the two of them left.

"Ok, that was kind of lame," Michael commented as they trekked down the stairs.

Maria happily pointed out; "Hey it worked, didn't it."

"Let's just find Liz," Michael didn't want to admit it. Maria stopped and asked an attractive guy who was studying on a nearby bench, "Excuse me, do you know where the Litvack building is at?"

They guy smiled at her before answering, "Oh yeah, it's the second building across the quad. You can't miss it, it's the one with the weird sculpture in front."

"Thanks, you've been a big help," Maria replied sweetly as she took Michael's hand. "Liz is that a way."

They found Liz talking with a professor in one of the rooms, so they knocked on the glass to get her attention. Liz quickly opened the door. "We found Leanna. Her real name is Jennifer Coleman," Maria declared.

"Yeah, well, I'm onto something too," Liz kept her voice low. "You guys shouldn't be here. I'll meet you in the quad."

"I've got a better idea; we're going back to Roswell," Michael announced sternly.

Liz protested, "Didn't you hear what we found?"

"Yeah," Michael replied dryly.

Liz raised an eyebrow, "And you still don't believe anything that's going on?"

Michael continued, "Forget it. Let's get out of here. The situation isn't safe for us."

"We're too close to the truth and I'm not leaving," Liz was serious.

Liz began to turn away but Michael seized her wrist, "This isn't optional. You're coming home with me."

Liz wriggled in his grasp, "You can't tell me what to do."

The professor that Liz was conversing with approached them, "Liz, I found Ray's source material." Liz followed him back to the computer and Maria and Michael followed them. "Pretty strange looking stuff. It's some sort of language. Looks kind of Native American."

Maria and Michael knew those symbols only too well, and Michael winced when the flash of him standing in the desert surrounded by those symbols burned his eyes. "Where the hell did this come from?" he demanded.

Liz stated, "This is what Alex was working on while he was here."

"What was he doing?" Michael asked.

"Decoding whatever this language is," the professor told him.

Michael was in a state of disbelief, "Translating it into English."

"Exactly," the professor didn't realize how important this actually was.

Michael couldn't believe that Alex was trying to translate the book about their destinies, "Was he able to do it?"

"Well, he deleted all the results," the professor went on to say. "The last day he was here, he created this huge text file. He e-mailed it to another address…jcoleman@ulascruces.edu."

"J. Coleman," Liz realized with wide eyes, "He e-mailed it to Leanna."

* * * Liz, Maria and Michael were able to sneak back into the dorm without being seen by the student at the front desk. Once they were in the elevator Liz said, "We don't know which is her room."

"Room 12, floor five," Michael pushed the correct button.

"Oh," Liz said in a small voice.

They knocked on the door to room 12 and to their surprise a girl they didn't recognize answered. "Hi, we're looking for Lee…I mean Jennifer," Maria nearly slipped.

Leanna's roommate answered, "I'm sorry, Jennifer isn't here."

"Well, do you know when she's gonna be back?" Michael questioned with impatience.

"Probably not for a few days," the roommate informed them. "She had to go home all of a sudden."

"All of a sudden?" Liz repeated suspiciously.

"Yeah, she got a call this morning, her mom's in the hospital, so she just packed up some stuff and went," her roommate continued.

Maria knew that they needed a cover, "That's just terrible because I know that Jen and her mom are pretty close." They tried looking around the room with the hope that they would find something useful. Maria lightly touched the girl's arm and steered her away from what she thought was Leanna's side of the room. "Listen, before she went did she happen to give you notes from physics class, she said that I can borrow them?"

"No, she didn't say anything about it," the girl told her.

Liz spoke up, "Oh, you know, they're probably somewhere here in the room. You don't mind if we just, you know…" Liz and Michael began searching around.

Leanna's roommate protested, "Well, actually, she just…" They simply ignored her protests and began collecting anything they could get their hands on.

Maria did her best to distract Leanna's roommate; "Do you remember what hospital her mom's at? I would just love to send some flowers, 'cause I really think the support of others, you know, friends, can really help someone through a hard time." Maria kept on babbling so Michael and Liz could search a little longer. "Like, there was this time when my…my grandfather died. He did, and I was…I was just so wrecked, I…I couldn't stop crying and then I received this basket of cookies from…from everybody in my English class, and it just put a smile on my face for the first time in weeks."

Liz suddenly declared as she held up a piece of paper, "Here we go. We got the notes." Liz then started to leave.

"Thanks so much," Maria managed to say with Michael rushing her out the door.

Liz said once they got out of the dorm, "So Leanna did see us last night. She knew that we were on to her and she skipped town."

"God, who knew we were so intimidating, huh?" Maria joked lightly.

"Magazine renew notice, credit card application, bank statement, something from Open Sky Property Management," Michael searched through the letters they swiped from Leanna's room. "This is a bill for renting a property outside Las Cruces."

Maria knew that they were extremely close to finding out why Alex was in Las Cruces, "I'll drive." They discovered a little while later that the property that Leanna was renting wasn't what they expected. "Guessing not a party pad," Maria commented as they searched the rundown house.

"Why would anybody rent this?" Liz asked no one in particular.

Michael stated the obvious, "Because they got something to hide."

They searched room to room and Maria and Liz had a breakthrough when they found a computer in a room off the kitchen. As they stepped into the room some kind of security device went off and a glowing red pyramid shaped object started to beep faster and faster.

Maria realized that it was going to explode. "Liz!" she cried as she shoved her friend to the ground.

Michael managed to use his powers to propel the device out the window where it exploded outside. "Are you two okay?" Michael helped them to their feet.

Liz nodded, "Thank you."

"Yeah, no problem," Michael told her. Liz went straight to the computer while Maria asked, "What was that?"

"I haven't seen anything like that," Michael couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if he wasn't there.

"You guys check this out," Liz printed out what was on the computer screen while Michael found a small box containing a long clear crystal. "Oh my God. This is it. The translation. It's here."

"What is that?" Maria asked as Michael held up the crystal.

Michael shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know."

Liz picked up one of the pages, "Michael!" She handed him the page and as he read it he couldn't believe it.

Maria gently squeezed his shoulder, "All the answers Michael. Even if Leanna has them now, so do we."

Michael had a mixed expression on his face, "Do you realize what this means?"

Maria's heart thumped heavily in her chest, "Yes, I do."

* * * Once they returned to Roswell Maria dropped Liz off and Michael went on to find Max and Isabel. Maria decided to go home and face the problems that awaited her there. For Liz's sake Maria kept quiet about Tess's pregnancy even though it weighed heavily on her mind. Besides she didn't know how exactly Liz would take it if she did tell her.

No one seemed to be awake when she got home and when she saw Tess sleeping peacefully with her hand resting on her stomach Maria debated whether or not to wake her. She guessed that the news she had would help alleviate the situation, but Maria wasn't ready to tell her.

Maria watched Tess sleeping from the doorway to Kyle's bedroom when there was a soft knock on the door. She expected it to be Kyle or Valenti, but it wasn't "Michael, what are you doing here? I thought you were going to go find Max and Isabel?"

"I was, but then I felt that something was missing," Michael said as he stood on the front stoop.

Maria thought he had forgotten something in Las Cruces, "What?"

Michael swept a stray hair from her face, "You. I want you to be there."

"Really?" Maria said.

Michael nodded, "Yeah." "Okay," she took his hand as they walked over to his motorbike. They both put on their helmets and Maria held on to Michael's waist as they quickly zoomed down the street. About half way to the park they realized that it had begun to snow. There was no way that it naturally snowed in the middle of May, especially in New Mexico.

Michael spotted Max and Isabel on a bridge overlooking a stream. He pulled up alongside them and they removed their helmets. "A little public, isn't it?" Michael lightly scolded.

"It's a freak storm, you know, who cares?" Isabel told him.

Max questioned Maria, "Haven't seen you around lately? Where have you've been?"

"I was out of town for a couple of days," Maria said as she got off the bike.

"We've got bigger things to talk about," Michael chimed in before Max asked anymore questions. "Maxwell, there's two things I need to tell you. First is, I've been lying to you about Maria, Liz, and the whole investigation." He glanced over at Maria, who nodded at him to continue. "Instead of stopping them, I've been helping them. Second thing is, it was worth it." He handed Max the copies of the translation and Isabel the crystal rod.

"What's this?" Max asked before reading it.

"It's everything we've been looking for. It's a translation to the book. You know, the book," Michael informed him.

Isabel looked shocked; "You're kidding!"

"Not even a little," Michael said.

Isabel looked at Max, "Well, what does it say?"

"It's the way home," Max looked at all of them. "We can go home. We need to go home."

"Why?" Maria challenged.

Max looked at her with pained eyes, "The baby is in trouble. It can't survive on here on Earth."

It was like someone punched her in the gut, because the thought of leaving was too much for Maria to bear. No one spoke after that because it was there was nothing more to say. Michael put his arm around Maria and held her close. Maria looked up to the sky and felt the cool snowflakes on her face. She always loved it when it snowed, and she wondered if it snowed on Antar. As Michael held her all Maria could think about was that this could be the last time she would ever see snow.

Part 9 | Index | Part 11
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.