Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Don't Close Your Eyes"
Part 1
by Jordan
Disclaimer: I don't own anything...
Summary: A different twist on Departure
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
"Hey, you wanted me to meet you?" Maria De Luca walked into the restaurant and sat down across from Michael Guerin. She unfolded her napkin, placed it in her lap and folded her arms.

"Yeah. I thought since we have never really had a dinner alone in a while, we should do it."

"Do I have to pick up the check?" she said.

"No..." he said looking puzzled.

"Ok, then. That was very thoughtful of you."

"You look beautiful."

Maria looked at him and smiled. "Thank you."

They ate most of the dinner in silence, but when they were done Michael suddenly stood up.

"What's up?" Maria asked.

"I'll be right back." He set his napkin down and walked toward the bathroom. When he got there he assumed himself in front of the payphone and dialed the number of Max Evans.

"Hello?" Max said on the other end of the line.

"Maxwell I can't."

"What? Can't what?"

"I can't go through with it. I can't tell her."

"What do you mean you can't tell her? Michael, you have to."

"That's not what you said this morning. You said I could decide for myself."

"Well, that's not an option now, the granolith is ready, you have to go."

"Listen, I shouldn't have to give up Maria because you got Tess pregnant."

"That's not why were leaving."

"Then why are we?"

"Because we've been waiting for this out whole lives, especially you and I'm not going to let you throw it away."

"It's not for you to decide."

"Yes, it is. You're going." He hung up the phone.

"Damnit!" Michael yelled and slammed the phone down. He returned to the table rather angry.

"Took you long enough," she joked.

"Yeah, I guess."

"Are you ok? You seem a little edgy."

"Whatever. Yeah, I'm fine, let's just go." He stood up again.

"Ok, that was nice." Maria said and stood up.

"What?"

"Well, we didn't even talk and you were gone half the time."

"Sorry it wasn't perfect enough for you."

"I didn't mean it like that."

"Fine let's just go." They walked silently to the parking lot then turned and faced each other.

"Well, thanks anyway. Maybe it'll be better next time," Maria said looking down. Michael mumbled something.

"What was that?" Maria asked.

"I said...I said there wont be another next time." Michael's face looked torn.

"Wha--?" Maria gulped and she looked as if someone had ripped her heart out. Tears began falling from her sparkling blue eyes. "Are you saying that you're breaking up with me?"

Michael realized what he had said. "No, I didn't mean it like that."

"Whatever." She turned around and ran to her car and Michael jumped on his motorcycle and sped off after her.

********

Maria arrived to her home shortly after ten p.m. Her house was dark. She got out of her car and walked toward the door. She stood on the front porch fumbling for her house key when she found herself crying again. Crying over Michael, again. She paused for a moment to gather her thoughts and went back to searching for her key. All of a sudden a hand grabbed her from behind causing her to drop her bag and keys. She turned around expecting to see Michael, but instead was faced with a stranger. She opened her mouth to scream, but he shoved a towel deep into her throat to prevent any sound from escaping.

"Don't talk," he whispered angrily. Maria whimpered and nodded a yes. He turned her around and picked up her ey and attempted to put it into the lock.

"Hey what the hell are you doing?!" Michael had arrived and ran up to the house. Then he say it. A gleam of silver in the man's right hand. The moon shown down on it and it was plain as day that it was a knife. Maria must have seen it too because suddenly she started fighting him frantically.

"You definitely picked the wrong time to show up, pal." The man then lifted the knife and plunged it into her stomach slicing to the right. She fell from his arms and the towel fell loose.

"Micha---"

The man ran off and Michael went up to Maria.

"Oh God." Michael saw her clutching her stomach in agony. He removed his jacket and turned her over. He could see her wound through her shirt and it was deep. He wrapped his jacket around her and pressed firmly to try and stop the bleeding. He didn't notice the tears falling down his cheek.

"It doesn't hurt that much," Maria said weakly though he could tell it did by the way she was holding her stomach.

"It'll be all right. Just hold still." He cradled her and wiped her tears. Then his own.

"I'm sorry, Michael," she said.

"No, don't talk now. Shh," he whispered. "No need to be sorry." She began coughing and began to shut her eyes.

"Maria, don't close your eyes. Don't. I'll call for help, just please don't close them." He reached into her bag and pulled out her blue cell phone. He hurriedly dialed Max.

"Hello?"

"Max get the hell over to Maria's house, now!" He practically screamed into the phone.

"What? Why?"

"Hurry, she's been hurt, badly. I need you to heal her!"

"Michael, I don't know if I can..."

"Of course you can, and if you don't she's gonna die so get the hell over here!"

"Fine I'll be right there." Michael tossed the phone aside and turned his attention back to Maria. Her eyes were closed and he started sobbing.

"Maria, open your eyes. Don't close them! You can't leave, you have too much to live for. Oh God!" They opened.

"It hurts now." Her voice was weak and shaky.

"I know, but Max'll be here soon. Just stay with me."

"I love you, Michael." She sucked in a breath.

"God, I love you." He buried his tearstained face in her neck and let out little short whimpers. His tears fell onto her chest and were quickly absorbed into the cotton fabric.

"Michael, I have to close my eyes."

"No, Maria, you can't! You can't give up!"

"I love you."

"Please don't go, Maria."

"I love you. I always will."

"I-I-I love you too." She closed her eyes and breathed her last breath. Michael began crying harder than before. He picked her up and kissed her full lips. He cradled her and held on as tightly as he could, never wanting to let go, because he knew if he did, it would be forever. Just then, Max arrived.

"Michael?" he asked quietly. He walked up the stairs and sat next to Michael. He's never seen Michael like this.

"I love her," Michael whispered between cries.

"I'm so sorry. I hurried as fast as I could..." but he couldn't finish. He looked down at Maria's lifeless body. A body that was once so alive, was lying on Michael's lap, drenched in blood. A tear formed in his eye.

"I love her," Michael said again. Max got up and backed away. He was crying now, too, but nowhere near as hard as Michael. Max called the paramedics and when they arrived, Michael was still holding Maria. He went to the hospital where she was confirmed dead. Michael stayed at the hospital until Max came and got him. Max stayed at Michael's with him until he was stable so they were unable to go home.

Michael thought about Maria everyday and he visited her grave whenever he got a chance. He knew she was looking down on him, watching over him, like the angel she was.

The end...

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.