FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Destiny Can Wait"
Part 7
by Lea
Disclaimer: I wish I owned Roswell, but I don’t, so don’t sue me please!
Summary: : In a world where humans and aliens distrust each other, an unusual pair discover whether or not they can survive each other!
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is sort of a continuing on story to An Amazing Feeling. People seemed to like that story so we’ll see if it was a fluke and watch how this one unfolds.
Michael checked his watch for the tenth time in the last minute. 10:27pm. For once he was early. He snuck across the lawn and hesitantly looked into Maria’s window. When he couldn’t see any movement once again he began to worry.

Suddenly Maria popped her head out from behind the curtains, causing him to stumble backwards, startled.

He could hear her giggling as she opened the window. “Not funny.” He muttered as he clambered through.

Maria’s giggles subsided as she helped him up. He stood up gave her an amused look. “You don’t look so sick.” He accused with a raised eyebrow. “You look fine.” He was stretching the truth a little because he could still see the paleness in her pale face.

Maria gave him a sceptical glance. “You know, I do have mirrors in this house.” She said pointedly. “So I know I don’t look normal.”

Michael moved in closer and lifted her chin. “Well, I think you look just perfect.” He said softly.

Maria smiled at his words. “I missed you.” She whispered, snuggling into his shoulder.

He wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. “I missed you too.”

Maria closed her eyes and felt her body melt into his. He held her for as long as he could before giving in to temptation and lowering his face to hers for a soft kiss.

He didn’t want her to know, but he was treating her like glass. He didn’t want to hurt her in anyway.

When he pulled away Maria couldn’t hide her surprise. He gave her a grin and looked out the window. Maria followed his gaze and saw a Jeep parked outside her house. “I borrowed Max’s Jeep for tonight.” Michael explained. “I thought maybe we could go somewhere.”

Maria looked at his smug expression and gave him a wink. “Just give me a second and I’ll be there.”

Michael nodded and climbed out the window, heading towards the Jeep.

Maria found her mother in the living room. “I’m going to catch up on some sleep now mom, okay?” she exclaimed, giving a fake yawn. “So can you like, not come in or anything? I’d really appreciate it.”

Amy got up from the chair and kissed her daughter on the top of the head. “Of course not sweetie.” She smiled. “I’m glad you’re taking my advice and resting. I’ll be as quiet as a mouse.”

Maria shot her mother a grateful look and inwardly congratulated herself on her acting skills. “Okay, night then mom.” She said as she headed off back to her room.

Amy watched her go. “Night hon.”

Maria got back to her room and gently closed the door. She wished she had a lock or something to put on it. She moved straight to the window and after quickly peering out, swung her leg over the sill. She landed on the grass with a thud, and turned to close the window quietly behind her. Satisfied with her work, she hurried across the grass to where Michael was waiting in the Jeep.

When she was ready, Michael switched the car on. The noise shattered the silence of the neighbourhood, startling Maria herself. She cast a nervous glance to her dark house. But she didn’t need to worry if her mother would see her or not, because a few seconds later they were roaring off into the night.

Maria closed her eyes and smiled as the wind whipped her face. The night air was cool against her skin. She began to wonder where Michael was taking her in the middle of the night and turned her head to look at him.

He had a serious look on his face as he concentrated on driving. But when he noticed her looking at her he sort of smiled. “What?” He asked over the noise.

Maria sat up and looked at him. “Where are you taking me?” She asked playfully. “You’re not abducting me are you?” She smiled, snuggling up against his shoulder.

Maria felt Michael's muscles suddenly stiffen, and then relax. She frowned in confusion. If the alien remark had caused him to do that then she didn’t mean to upset him. She decided to think nothing of it.

Michael put one arm around her as he drove. “It’s a surprise.” Was all he said.

Maria didn’t mind being surprised. She been surprised a lot lately, and it had always turned out for the better. She closed her eyes again and a few minutes later she felt the car slow down.

Sitting up she looked around her. It was empty. Open, flat space surrounded them. Michael got out of the Jeep and Maria quickly followed. Standing there Michael turned to her.

“What do you think?” He asked.

Maria bit her lip. “It's big.” She replied. The way she figured it, if it was special to Michael, it was special to her as well.

Michael laughed and took hold of her arm. Pulling her forward he lead her only a couple of metres then stopped.

Maria gasped. The ground suddenly gave way to a deep ravine, hidden in the desert. It was dark and empty, making Maria shiver just looking at it.

Michael kept a strong hold of her arm as she peered down into nothingness. Then he gently pulled her away.

“Wow.” Maria said in awe. “That’s incredible.”

Michael nodded. “I know. I nearly drove into it one day.”

He felt a shiver go through Maria’s body, and she rubbed her arms.

“Come on.” He said. “There’s something else I want to show you.”

Maria let him lead her into the darkness. She hoped it wouldn’t be another ravine.

He stopped suddenly and pointed down. There was a large crack running along the desert floor. Maria had seen similar ones before, although this one was a bit larger. Michael walked along it a few metres, and then dropped to his hands and knees, pushing aside a scrub bush.

Maria watched in amazement as he suddenly dropped out of sight. Hurrying over to where she had seen him last she came across a grinning Michael standing inside the crack. It was wide at this certain point, big enough to fit at least two people.

Michael stretched his hand up to help her down. She carefully jumped down and landed next to him.

Maria looked at him expectantly and he turned around and moved another shrub aside. Maria had the feeling it had been strategically placed there by Michael himself.

The shrub revealed an opening in the stone. Maria shook her head in wonder, as she realized it was a small cave entrance. Michael clambered down into it first and then turned back to help Maria.

She stepped onto the floor of the cave and found herself surrounded in darkness. She felt Michael’s hand slip out of hers and she frantically felt around for it.

“Michael!” She called, feeling panicked.

A light filled the room, and Maria squinted into the sudden brightness. Before her stood Michael, holding a flaming torch. She felt herself relax when she saw him bathed in the torchlight. He was too good to be true.

Maria took a first look around the cave and realized it was quite large. She couldn’t believe something this big could be kept hidden from everyone. If you stood on the desert floor you would never be able to see it.

She looked at Michael quizzically.

“Max and I came out here one day, for no particular reason, and stumbled across this cave. Although neither of us have really admitted it, but I think we were more drawn to it.” He explained as he slid the torch into a hole in the stonewall. “We’ve never shown it to anyone before, except Isabel. And now you.” He said carefully.

He cast his eyes to hers and moved closer. “We can trust you can’t we.” He said.

It was a statement, not a question. He really felt he could trust her. Maria felt touched that he would share this secret with her.

Michael wandered over to the wall and ran his hands over it. It was then that Maria noticed that it had intricate carvings and drawings on it.

She moved closer, but didn’t recognise any of the symbols and figures. She once again turned to Michael.

He looked serious again, and somewhat happy to be there staring at the wall. It reminded him of home.

Michael read the passage that was written on the wall. He knew he was meant to find it, and that it wasn’t a coincidence he and Max had been drawn out there that day.

It reminded him so much of home, what little he could remember. He could remember the men with weaponry, who slowly slithered in from the darkest regions of his planet and began to gain control. It was a miracle they got away. And such irony that as soon as they got here his parents were killed, after enduring so much.

He was waiting for the day when he could go home again, be back among others who were like him.

He suddenly remembered Maria was with him and without facing her, began to read what was written on the wall, tracing the symbols with his fingers.

“Our future lies within these walls, and with those who live through the invasion. These walls of earth will protect you all as you grow strong, strong in numbers and strong in heart, to come and save us from this spreading evil. Our future is in your hands.”

Michael finished reading it and was silent. He couldn’t understand why others of his kind hadn’t also been drawn to it. It was like it had been left there for them. He didn’t know how long it had been engraved onto the wall for, but he could tell it was old. Very old.

It could have been left there for years and years, a prediction of what was to come. The thought had crossed his mind more than once. He felt Maria come up behind him and place a hand on his shoulder.

He could suddenly see the future clearly. If he were ever to leave earth, which was something he had wanted since he was a child, it would mean leaving Maria. He knew he couldn’t get attached to anything, nothing to hold him back from his destiny.

He abruptly stepped aside, startling Maria. He hated to hurt her, but he had to make her see that there couldn’t ever be anything between them.

“Michael?” Her voice cut through the silence.

He took a breath and turned to face her confused expression. “Maria.” He started. “You see what’s written on this wall? It’s what is meant to be. It's what I have to do. It’s what all of our people have to do.”

Maria’s eyes widened slightly, but the confusion was still there, he could see it.

Part 6 | Index | Part 8
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.