FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Dance"
Part 1
by Jessmonet
Disclaimer: Yeah, yeah, yeah...the usual! I don't own anyone or anything (except the story) and I doubt I ever will. The characters and such...belong to various people; Jason Katims...yadda, yadda, yadda,...you get the point right???
Summary: Michael deals with the consequences of letting Maria go, if only for a little while.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is my first fic and I'm dedicating it to Lisa cuz she's the one that made me listen to the song, "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack - even though I'm not a big country fan. I just heard it and some things clicked. Thus the story... Well, hope you like it and email me if you have comments or anything! Feedback is good! If you want the story for your site or whatever, its cool with me - just let me know! :)
Who the hell needs this, Michael thought bitterly. It was too much and he knew it. There was no turning back. It was a swift but critical decision - one that had to be made. Well, he made it alright. All he could think of was the look on Maria's face before she left.

***(FLASHBACK)***

Maria looked lovingly into Michael's hard eyes. "Ask me to stay." "What?" he asked dumbfounded. "You heard me! I won't leave if you don't want me to." "Maria, I can't ask you to leave. I won't ask you to stop your life on account of this, us, me..." he said harshly.

She had nodded sadly. And kissed him gently on the mouth as they had done countless times before. He ached to hold her. To take her into his arms and give her a reason not to leave. But he just stood there refusing to move, and watched her walk out of his apartment and his life.

***(END FLASHBACK)***

She didn't need any of this, he thought for the fifth time in the last minute. His mind was wandering in circles. Why did she leave? Where was she? How was she? There was no use in worrying about it. Nothing could change. He was on his own. He laughed dryly at that.

He was alone. Not in the physical sense. He now had a family and he understood what was destined for him. Max, Isabel, and even Tess were his family and they couldn't allow themselves to invest their emotions and time into ‘humans'. Great! He was beginning to sound like Tess. Next thing you know I'll be screaming "Its your destiny" and constantly ask Max what would happen next! The girl just didn't sit well with him. She might have been married to Max in a past life, but he hoped it had been an arranged marriage. He knew his friend had better taste than that.

He shook his head as if it would clear out all the thoughts in his head. What could he do to keep his mind off of Maria? Michael glanced around his apartment...well staying there was out of the question. The couch reminded him of the hot and heavy make out sessions that never failed to weaken his knees. The television reminded him of the last play fight she had picked with him. They had wrestled for the remote and control over what they were going to watch. She hadeventually won but it hadn't mattered because their play wrestling had warmed them up and it had only lead to another room of the apartment, the television long forgotten. He frowned at that memory and glanced toward his bedroom. Again he shook his head and tried desperately to clear that memory but suddenly he was lost in it. The remembrance of their one perfect night together and their last night together.

***(FLASHBACK)***

Their little scuffle over the remote had quickly lead to the bedroom. They were gasping for air as they fought to rip each others clothes off. She was working on his pants as he was trying desperately to figure out how to deal with the tiny buttons running down her shirt. Their kisses were smoldering as tongues ran in and out of mouths in a small battles. He had picked her up in his arms, willing himself to take things slower. Placing her on the bed gently, he moved to cover her body with his. He teased her and soothed her with his mouth. His hands roamed her figure gently and leisurely. They had melted together that night. It would have taken a miracle to separate them.

The next morning Michael woke up to see her lying next to him. He had wanted it to last forever. He had never felt so much love for anything or anyone in his entire existence. Past or present. "I love you, Maria." He had whispered. But she was sleeping so deeply that she never heard him.

***(END FLASHBACK)***

That night was now almost a year gone. That was the day Tess entered the picture. Destiny became their mantra and Maria was somehow lost, but not forgotten, in the shuffle. He walked over to his small shelf of books. He would read. Reading always helped him forget. Grabbing the first book that his fingers came in contact with, he pulled it out and he threw up his hands in defeat. He had pulled out the leather bound edition of Ulysses that Maria had given him for Christmas. This memory lead him to a memory of a certain trip to Marathon when he had realized just how alike they actually were. It was the first time anyone had ever understood him. He didn't like the turn his thoughts were taking. They were definitely not anti-Maria thoughts. He decided he would go on a walk. No memories could be stirred by a simple walk. Michael was wrong. He had walked for at least an hour and where had he ended up? Exactly were he knew he would. The Crashdown was busy, he noted as he slid into the booth in the far corner. Her essence was there. He could almost smell that damn Cedar oil of hers over the smells of the food. It was pointless to be there. It was as if, any minute, she would burst through the doors from the back room, raving and singing like the lunatic that she was. He smiled despite himself.

Liz picked that exact moment to stalk over to him, interrupting his thoughts. "What'll ya have?" she asked, pen hovering over her order book. She was still refusing to meet his eyes, as she had for the past seven months. She blamed him. "Usual." he said with a little more anger than he meant. Her eyes shot up to his. Those eyes held so much contempt and rage and something else. She looked tired and her eyes were red. It almost made Michael shiver under her gaze. "What?" he asked when she didn't leave.

"Just wondering if you had heard about Maria?"

His heart picked up speed at an alarming rate. "What about her?" he was striving to keep his voice even but he knew something was definitely wrong.

***

"She was in a wreck. Drunk driver. About a week ago. She's been in a coma, but she woke up today." Liz knew her voice was shaky and her appearance must be frightful, but she couldn't keep the tears from spilling down her face.

"Is she...okay?" Michael's voice was now strained.

"She was hurt pretty badly." She drew in a ragged breath. "Well...I just thought you might want to know." She had hated like hell to tell him all that she did. He didn't deserve to know and he wouldn't find out all of it from her. He had hurt her best friend and there would not be any telling her that he wasn't the core of everything wrong with Maria at the moment.

"Yeah, thanks Liz. And, Liz - where is she?" "Hell, I'd imagine! I am not gonna tell you where she is Michael so just deal with it! You're the reason she left! She would be here right now if it hadn't been for you!" She began to cry as she raged against him. Had she really let that slip out? Yes, she had and Liz realized that it felt good to let him feel what had been on her mind for the past seven months. She began to hit him, telling herself he deserved it. It was something she did for her best friend who was laying in some damn hospital bed at that moment, crying her eyes out for the great pain she was experiencing.

***

She hit his shoulder repeatedly, and he let her. It was what he deserved. Everything she had said was true. It was his fault. Everything was. Alex walked over from his seat in the opposite corner. He enveloped Liz in his arms trying to calm her down. She slumped against him and let him hold her. Michael noticed that Alex's eyes were puffy and pink as well. They were each others support. Maria should have that. Why did she have to leave? Alex caught his eye and smiled apologetically. He didn't need sympathy. With sudden clarity, he realized that all he needed was Maria. Destiny be damned! He would find her and get her back.

***

Maria was sitting up in her crisp, white hospital bed in her crisp, white hospital gown. She'd been awake for only ten hours, and still in shock from everything she had been told. Her eyes were glassy and glazed over. She stared out the window and thought of the only thing that was keeping her hanging on. It was silly to think of Michael, when she knew it would only make her hurt more. Somehow the thought of him, his touch, his kiss, was comforting.

She looked over at her mother. She was curled up and snoring in the chair by the window. Maria's hand flew up to her stomach before she could think about what she was doing. Fresh tears welled up in her eyes. Her baby. What was happening? No one would tell her anything and she couldn't stand not knowing. All they would say is that he would be fine. He had sustained minor cuts and bruises and they didn't want her to see him just yet. They wouldn't risk her getting overly emotional. She wished she could go to her little boy. She wanted to be with him. Damn legs, she thought. It still hadn't set in, totally, that she might never walk again. The doctors said never with absolutely no hope for recovery. Her mother had assured her that they just didn't know her little girl and how stubborn she was. Still, just the thought of not walking for any amount of time made her sick. How would she manage? How could she take care of Toby like this? She knew what was going to have to happen. She just hoped she would have the strength to go back.

***Two weeks Later***

Max was walking towards the Crashdown. Any other time Liz would be thrilled to see her boyfriend but he wasn't alone. Michael was with him. She could say one thing for the boy, he was persistent. He did anything and everything he could to find Maria. If she didn't despise him, she would have thought it was cute. She was slowly melting in her attitude toward him, but as it was, she still didn't feel it was her place to give him any information about her best friend. For a moment, she let herself smile openly. Maria was coming home today. It was the first time she'd seen her in almost eight months. She had sent her pictures and written letters and of course the occasional phone call had been placed. Liz had wanted to visit her and was planning on making the trip, but then some idiot had decided to get plastered and smash into an innocent girl and her son, who were on the way to the store.

Michael's face was suddenly in front of her own. Liz had spaced out in her thoughts and hadn't noticed him approach her. "Go away, Michael!" She yelled. "I just want to order, jeez!" He yelled back. He stomped back to the booth Max had settled into. She sighed and grabbed her order book. Suddenly Max was in front of her. She really needed to pay attention. "Liz, he doesn't want to cause trouble. I promise! He isn't here about Maria or anything." "So he says!" Liz bit. "Come on, Lizzy. Why can't you tell him? I mean, she's coming home today. The boy wants to see her. Why can't I just give him a hint?" "NO Max! Maria says that she will talk to him in her own time. I will not be the one to tell him!" "Tell him what?" she heard a voice growl from behind her. She spun around. Michael was almost standing on top of her. She was suddenly flustered as she looked into his eyes. She felt Max's hand on her shoulder. "Michael...let it go!" Max warned quietly. "No Maxwell, I won't let it go! I just want to know where Maria is! I won't bother her, I just want to make sure she's safe!" He lied. "Who's safe?" Mr. Parker asked from the kitchen. "Maria? Sure, she's coming home today isn't she sweety?" Liz winced and groaned at her father. Max watched Michael quietly and decided he'd never seen his friend's eyes grow so big and hopeful or so fearful. Before anyone could move a muscle, Michael shot toward the door. "Michael, wait..." Liz screamed, ignoring the customers that were staring at her. Max put a hand on her arm. "Let him go. It has to happen sooner or later." he said trying to comfort her. Max was right, sooner or later he would have to find out. *** Alex drove all the way back from New Orleans. Maria was sitting next to him in the front seat, and Maria's mom was sitting in the back with little Toby. He sighed as he looked in the mirror. The two in the back were sleeping. This gave him and Maria a chance to talk. She was staring hard out the window. "Penny for your thoughts?" She laughed, "You really don't want to know!" Her mood was amazing. She sure as hell didn't act like someone who had just been through a tragedy. Of course she always did weather a storm well. That was just Maria. And for his godson's sake as well as her own, he was happy for it. "Try me." he teased. "The night Toby was conceived!" "You're right...don't want to hear it!" He said quickly. Her laughter filled the car sounding like music. "So that brings up a good question. What are you gonna tell-," She cut him off quickly. "Don't want to hear it!" He knew she would say that. As much as she missed him, and as much as she wanted to tell him, Alex knew that Michael Guerin was one person that Maria was not willing to face just yet. He had seen Michael a lot over the last couple of weeks. If he knew anything, he knew Maria would need to be ready to face him sooner rather than later.

***

Liz had made it to Amy Deluca's house to find no trace of Michael. Thank goodness, she sighed to herself. Max was beside her squeezing her hand. Isabel grabbed the box of decorations from the back seat of the jeep, jumped out and followed them in. "I hate to rain on your parade, but just because he isn't here now, doesn't mean he isn't going to be soon." Isabel said as if reading her mind. "He's been really whacked out over Maria lately. I've never seen him this intent to find anything...not even home!" Isabel's look to Max spoke volumes, but Liz missed it. She was bounding up the stairs to Maria's old room. "What are you doing?" Max yelled up to her. "Getting some things that she will need from her room. She can't exactly stay in her old room. Its on the second floor. She'll have to move into the guest room down stairs." As she came back down with her arms piled high, Max noticed something in her left hand. It was Maria's favorite picture of her and Michael. He looked at her questioningly. "Look, I don't think he deserves her, but I know Maria needs him...even if she doesn't. So - Shut up Max!" He held up his hands and shook his head. He thought he loved Liz before. But now he was sure he loved her ten times as much. The smile on his face must have been telling because Isabel sighed, rolling her eyes, and walked into the living room. *** Two hours later, Alex pulled into the driveway. The lights were off, but he knew everyone was already there. He went to the trunk and pulled the wheelchair out for Maria. She was already halfway out herself when he got there. She slapped his hand away, determined to do it herself. She glared at her mother when she asked if she should get Toby. Maria was hell-bent to do things for herself and her mother stepped back with a look of frustration on her face. Maria had come an amazingly long way in two weeks. She could do almost everything independently. The first thing she had been determined to learn was how to take care of Toby. She knew how to move with him before she could even take a shower by herself. Throughout their many years as friends, Alex had never admired her more. *** When she had her son firmly planted in her lap, she spun the chair around. "Lets go." She said wheeling herself toward the house. Inside, all the lights were out. Maria flipped the switch to the living room. "Surprise!" "Welcome Home!" Shouts echoed all around her. Maria laughed and clapped. She squealed like a little girl at a birthday party. She saw everyone...well almost everyone. Liz, Max and Isabel hugged her and were now fighting over possession of her son. Liz's parents as well as Isabel and Max's parents were all trying to hug and talk to her and her mother at once. Valenti and son hovered in the corner looking somewhat uncomfortable. Tess stood close to Kyle, she noted.

Maria noticed Isabel break away and go to Alex. She was happy they had stayed together through everything. Even Liz and Max were better than ever, together. She had a sneaky suspicion that, now as they were holding her son, they were thinking what it would be like to have their own. The party went on for another hour. It felt like forever to Maria. It didn't take much to wear her out lately. It was one thing she would admit to. As soon as the parents had left and her own mother was in bed, the five friends sat down to talk. "You guys do realize you are all god parents, don't you?" Maria smiled at the two couples. Liz and Alex shared a smile and Max and Isabel looked confused. "I talked to Liz and Alex and they agreed with me that you should all share the duties. If that's okay, that is." Isabel whooped and pulled the baby out of Liz's arms. "Thank you, Maria." Max said softly. She felted pinned by his soft stare. She glanced away. He knew she had done it for Michael. She had. The decision had been made long before Toby was born and when she had believed she would never have to come back to Roswell. She wanted her child connected to his father some way. "I'll be right back." Maria said, turning the chair towards the kitchen. She suddenly felt the need to get away from them for a moment. She just couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. Her stomach clinched because she had a feeling that she knew who was watching her.

(To Be Continued...)

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.