FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Choices"
Part 1
by Merlin
Disclaimer: Jason Katims and WB own the characters. I'm just messing with them
Summary: This is about something happening that makes Michael finally understand why Max risked everything to save Liz and would do it again and again and again
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Michael knew that he should stay away from Maria. Had repeatedly told Max to keep his distance from Liz. But justified his actions by telling himself that his relationship with Maria was different from what Max had with Liz. Max was in love with Liz. Michael liked Maria, but he wasn't involved with her emotionally. No ties binding them. No deep connection like Max shared with Liz. Maria was pretty, a great kisser and a pain in the butt. Michael liked kissing her but he didn't like talking to her. She talked enough for the both of them and she was too nosey and clingy. Always wanting to know what he was thinking, or what he was feeling. Michael hated that. Yet he was still drawn to her, which didn't mean that he couldn't simply walk away from Maria at any given moment. Wished Max could do the same. Michael knew that his best friend was trying to keep Liz at a distance, but it was hopeless. Max Evans was in love.

Love. Michael didn't believe in it. He knew that Max and Isabel loved him. That they considered him family. Knew they would die for him and all. But that was different. Not at all the same emotion as the *love* Max felt for Liz. And, to be fair, Michael conceded that Liz loved Max in return. Yet one more reason to envy Max Evans. But it didn't change facts. He and Max and Isabel weren't like the others. They weren't...human. They had family and a life waiting for them somewhere else. And it was the hope of going home that kept Michael going. That made him slog through the life he had been dealt.

"Hey, Michael," said a soft voice.

"Hey," Michael replied. He didn't have to turn to know that it was Maria.

She moved to stand in front of him. "Where are the others?" Maria asked. It was lunch time and the six of them usually grouped up to eat in some form or fashion. But today there was only Michael sitting at their usual table.

Michael shrugged. "Max and Liz are avoiding each other like the plague and it's not my turn to watch Alex or Isabel." Couldn't help the sarcasm that laced his voice. It's how he protected himself. His way of keeping Maria at a distance.

"Oh," Maria said, trying not to sound hurt. Just once she wished that Michael would talk to her like a normal guy. Like Max or Alex would. "So...mind if I sit with you?" she asked. Should have blown him off but Maria couldn't help it. She was drawn to Michael and she wanted to spend time with him. Just to be with him.

"Do what you want," Michael countered.

Maria sat down and rummaged through her lunch bag. Had made it a point to pack extra since she knew that Michael seldom brought lunch and scarfed food off Max and Isabel. "Um...my mom made two chicken sandwiches, want one?" Maria asked. It was a lie. Amy never made lunch for Maria. Although she had made the pie that Maria brought. Two slices of apple. "Oh...here," Maria said, pulling a bottle of tobasco sauce out of the bag and handing it over with the sandwich.

Michael nodded and accepted the food. As an afterthought he added, "Thanks." He poured a liberal amount of sauce on the sandwich and took a big bite. Chewed, swallowed, then asked, "What do you want?" Knew that Maria always wanted something from him and doubted that today would be different.

"I want to eat my lunch," Maria replied, somewhat defensively. She was tired of Michael always questioning her motives. "What do you want?" she countered, her tone somewhat challenging.

"Nothing," Michael hissed, then he found himself moving forward, one hand cupping the back of Maria's head as he claimed a kiss.

Maria kissed Michael back but pulled away when he stuck his tongue in her mouth. "Yuck..tobasco and chicken do NOT go together!" She hissed, grabbing her diet soda and gulping down a few swallows.

Michael said nothing. He simply took another bite of the sandwich then said, "Want to go for a drive?" Shouldn't have said that, but it was too late to take back the invitation. And he really didn't want to take it back. He wanted to go somewhere, with Maria, and just drive.

"Um...sure," Maria replied, automatically reaching into her purse for the keys to her moms car. Knew that they would take it because Michael didn't have wheels. "Where are we going?" Maria asked, as she gathered up the rest of lunch to bring with them. Michael was always hungry.

"Who cares," Michael replied as he snagged the keys and headed off, leaving Maria to follow.

*****

They drove for almost an hour and Maria was proud of herself for not saying a word except to respond to the smart ass remarks that Michael had a tendency to make. She knew it was bugging him and felt it served him right.

"Want to go back?" Michael asked when Maria simply sat beside him in silence. Normally she would be hounding him to return, especially since they had already missed sixth period, but she had remained annoyingly silent, making Michael realize that he was rather fond of her innate chatter.

"We can keep going," Maria said. "I don't have any tests today."

Michael glanced at her. "You sure?" He queried. Didn't want her going all crazy on him later. When she did that she tended to blabber on and on and sprinkle aroma therapy oils all over the place. Had even tried to get Michael to swallow some of that stuff once.

Maria smiled, knowing, and loving, that she was driving Michael crazy. "I'm sure," She said firmly. "Let's keep going."

"Fine," Michael whispered, returning his eyes to the road. And it was in that moment all hell broke loose. Before he could react, Michael felt the car go into a spin. Realized that they had been hit and wasn't even sure by what. Heard the blare of a car horn and wasn't sure if it was him or someone else. Then the car was rolling over, once...twice...landed on it's wheels and came to a hard stop. Michael almost forgot how to breathe. He had to force air in and out of his lungs, and only then did he turn his head to check on Maria. Gasped to see that she was lying slumped against the window. There was blood on her face and on her shirt and she was deathly pale. "Maria!" Michael shouted. His hand shook as he checked for a pulse. There, but barely. Michael knew she was dying on him. He took a few deep breaths to calm himself and laid a hand on Maria to make the connection that would enable him to heal her. But he couldn't do it. Nothing happened.

"Max!" Michael hissed, knowing that his best friend was the only one who could save Maria. But Max was back at school. Then Michael remembered that Maria had recently gotten a cell phone. Her purse was on the floor and Michael pawed through it. Wasted precious time figuring out how to work it then he dialed Isabel's cell phone number. It was the only number he knew. When she answered, Michael told her about the accident, the location and to get Max. Isabel promised they would be there as soon as they could. "Hang on, Maria," Michael begged as he pulled her into his arms and held on tight.

*****

It took forty minutes to reach Michael and Maria. Luckily Michael had been heading back towards the school at the time of the accident, plus Isabel was driving and she had a lead foot. Still, they almost passed the car for it was a good hundred yards off the road and resting in a shallow ditch. It was Max who spotted it, more by instinct than anything else. Ever since connecting with Liz, Max had been working on that particular power and had discovered that he could do it with pretty much anyone, and didn't even have to touch them. Sort of like dreamwalking but without the dreams.

Liz and Alex were with Isabel and Max and the foursome exited the jeep and ran for the car. Isabel was amazed that no ambulance or police had come.

Alex was more amazed by the fact that the driver who had hit Michael and Maria had run off. But then he caught sight of the car and all thought vanished. What had once been a red car now looked like an accordian. "Maria!" Alex called out.

"She can't hear you!" Michael shouted back. He was still holding Maria but she was barely breathing. "I need Max!" he hissed.

"I'm here, Michael," Max replied, from the passenger side of the car. He used his powers to open Maria's door then studied the girl. Could feel her slipping away. Could feel Michael's pain as well as he lifted eyes to look upon his friend's face. "Did you try to heal her?" Max asked.

Michael nodded. "Several times, Maxwell. Nothing. I can't do it. Maybe I'm too shook up. I don't know. Please...you have to save her."

Max didn't hesitate. He nodded then he reached out and pressed the palm of one hand to Maria's head. Let himself open up so that he could connect with Maria, feel her, touch her with his mind. And then he gasped as he felt Maria's pain. Knew her injuries as if they were his own. She was dying. There wasn't much time. Max concentrated all of his focus, his energy, on healing Maria. Making that which was bruised or broken, ripped or damanged, whole and smooth and complete again. Max moved swiftly, surely, racing against the clock. Was unaware of the others watching him closely, of Michael praying silently. And then it was over and Maria's was moving beneath him.

"Okay Max..you did it," Isabel said, pulling her brother away. Knew that he was completely drained but that he would continue to give of himself. But it wasn't needed. Maria was sitting up, eyes wide open, staring at everyone who was staring at her.

"What...what happened?" Maria asked. Looked down and saw blood on her shirt, then realized that Max had been touching her. Made the connection. Remembered the accident. She must have been hurt. Looked at Max. He looked like hell. Eyes glassy, body shaking, pale, looked like he was in pain. Maria wanted to thank him but Isabel and Alex were taking him away. "Michael?" Maria asked. He looked like hell too. Pale and trembling, eyes locked on her face.

Michael had to swallow the lump in his throat before he could speak. "You...you're okay?" he asked. Maria looked good, and seemed herself, but Michael could almost believe he was dreaming. Wanted to crush her in his arms, but was afraid that if he did she would disappear. That it would have only been a dream and she would be dead after all.

Maria smiled, although it was a bit shaky. "Yeah...I'm okay," she replied. "You?"

"I am now," Michael answered. "Um...I thought...I.." Couldn't finish the sentence.

"I know," Maria replied, for he could see it in Michael's eyes, the fear that he had lost her. It should have made her happy to know that he would have missed her had she died, but it just made Maria more confused. "I should thank Max," Maria whispered.

Michael nodded. "Me too." He almost jumped out of the car. Almost ran once he was on the outside, but there was no where to run, no where to hide from what he was feeling. It was all too intense and Michael wondered if this was what it was like for Max everyday. Couldn't imagine living with it. It was like to drive him insane. Too scary to feel this strongly about someone. To care this deeply.

Maria climbed out slowly, wincing at the sight of her mother's car. Touched herself to reassure herself that she really was alive and then Liz was hugging her. "Wow," Maria said, knowing that Liz would understand. Liz, who had been shot and almost died. Liz who had also been saved by Max.

"Yeah....wow," Liz whispered. "Thank God, Maria."

"Thank God...for Max," Maria countered. "Is he okay?"

Liz nodded. "Just a little worn out."

Maria bit her lip. "It was really bad...wasn't it?"

"Yeah..it was," Liz said. She wouldn't lie to her friend. "You know...Michael saved you too, Maria. He couldn't heal you...but I think he helped you to hold on until Max could get here." Liz wasn't talking about Michael using his *Alien* powers either. It was deeper than that. She understood it because of what she felt for Max. For what she knew he felt for her. But it was hard to explain. The connection was so simple, yet too complex for words.

"Yeah...I think he did," Maria allowed, turning to look for Michael. He was over by Max. "It's scary, Liz. You know?"

Liz's response was to hug Maria again, then she let Alex get a hug in, wandering off to talk to Isabel. Figured that Max and Michael would need a moment alone. Then Maria would need a turn. Didn't matter if they hung out now. Maria was alive so they had all the time in the world.

Michael watched Maria with Liz for a moment, then turned his attention to Max. His friend was still pale, but looked stronger now. "Can we talk?" Michael asked, gesturing at Isabel and Alex to leave them alone.

"Is Maria okay?" Max asked.

"Yeah..thanks to you," Michael replied. Just like Max to worry about others before himself. "Um...Max...if you hadn't made it in time..I don't..I don't know.." Michael didn't know how to finish his thoughts. Couldn't say the words. Didn't want to feel this way.

Max understood and he reached out to pat Michael's shoulder. "But I did make it in time, Michael," he said softly. "That's all that matters. You have another chance with Maria."

Michael sighed. "I don't deserve another chance, Maxwell," he breathed. "I'm not so sure I want one anyway. I can't do this..what you do. I can't care so...so much."

"I know it hurts, Michael," Max replied. "But it's worth the pain. And you're strong enough to bear it."

"I don't know," Michael countered. "I don't konw what to do."

Max locked eyes with Michael. "You make a choice, Michael," he said firmly. "That's what it's all about. Choices. Like the choice I made to save Liz."

Michael remembered that day well. It was the day all their lives had changed. And it was because of that day that he had become involved with Maria. "Any regrets?" Michael queried.

"None," Max replied, without hesitation, then a sad smile curved his lips. "Sometimes I think I should have regrets," he allowed. "Because my choice put you and Isabel in danger...and I had no right to do that. But if I had it to do over again...my choice would be the same. A thousand times over...I would choose Liz."

"I don't think I can do that," Michael stated. "What if I make the wrong choice?"

Max grimaced. "It's not always about right or wrong, Michael," he said softly. "I can't change what I did, so I find ways to live with the good and the bad. To make it work. It's not going to be easy, but it'll worth it. So..choose, Michael. If you choose to be with Maria...then give her one hundred percent of yourself. Otherwise...walk away and never look back." That said, Max walked away, knowing that Michael needed a moment alone.

Heaving a sigh and raking one hand through his hair, Michael turned to look at Maria. Their eyes met and locked, and in that moment Michael knew that his choice had already been made. And that his life would never be the same.

THE END

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.