Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Chasing Hope"
Part 4
by Candy Doris
Disclaimer: The characters are not ours, just the creative circumstances in this particular fanfic came from our minds.
Summary: All our favorite characters are chasing hope...in every sense of the word. When the aliens leave to follow destiny, their earthling counterparts are forced to follow a destiny of their own with Hope being their only guidance. But what happens when the past and future, destiny and hope blend together and the future becomes past and the hope becomes destiny?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Author's Note: There are two imaginations behind this fanfic. One in California, one in Florida. A chance meeting empowered us to work together, each using our individual talents of editing and writing, respectively, and ultimately taking the first steps in achieving our dreams. Please let us know what you think. (Your conscious will eat you alive until you do!) Please copy both of us at the following email address: alienaddict4ros@hotmail.com & mdomingjr@aol.com
"She's beautiful, Maria," Liz said sincerely. She sat next to Maria on the small hospital bed and took in the newest DeLuca. Liz still found it difficult to believe Maria had actually given birth to the tiny miracle only hours before. Though she could not be any happier for her friend, she felt a tiny twinge of envy. She looked into Hope's eyes and saw Michael. Liz envied Maria's living souvenir of her relationship with Michael. No, she did not want a child anytime soon. But what an incredible parting gift. "He would lover her," Liz said knowing Maria knew what she meant.

"He would, wouldn't he?" Maria smiled and pulled the petite bundle wrapped in a pink blanket closer to her chest.

"Oh! I almost forgot," Liz announced jumping to her feet. She reached into her shoulder bag and pulled out a pair of pink booties. "Mom made them for her," she said holding them in the air for Maria to see.

"Awwwwww. Liz they are beautiful" Maira couldn't hold back her tears as she saw the little baby boots. This pregnancy thing was really an emotional roller coaster. She hugged Liz really tight and both girls started laughing. Maria said, "I think it will be a while before she can wear them though."

"I know," Liz laughed, too. "I guess since it's been two decades...you know, she kinda forgot how little babies can actually be."

"It's very nice, though. Your mom has always had an amazing talent. You remember the Halloween costumes she made us in the 3rd grade?" Both girls laughed remembering all the smiles they got when they walked the school hallways dress as green metallic aliens with blinking antennaes. Maria missed the times she and Liz spent together. Though Alex had been with her through every step of the pregnancy, she missed the girl-to-girl companionship that she'd always had with Liz. Two-hour phone calls between states simply don't hold a candle to emergency meetings in the infamous eraser room or balcony basking in the moonlight on lawn chairs.

On more than one occasion, Maria had begged Liz to move out to California. For a while Liz had no real excuse. She told Maria and tried to convince herself that she had to stay for her mom, or because of the Crashdown, or because the plants would die is she weren't there to water them. The excuses became less believable each time she forged one. Maria began to feel certain Liz was hanging on to Roswell in hopes that Max would come back looking for her there.

Then, Liz met Jackson. From that point forward, Jackson became Liz's excuse for staying in Roswell. Maria found trusting Jackson to be a difficult task. She couldn't quite place her finger on her suspicions, but something about him spooked her. She felt uneasy in his presence. When he and Liz visited Los Angeles last month, Maria noticed a difference in Liz. The strangest thing about the difference was that it only came out around Jackson. When Maria and Liz were along, she found the old Liz she knew and loved. But when Jackson came in the room, Liz became a completely different person.

"Maria, did you notice her arm?" Alex had asked when the couple left their Los Angeles apartment to return to Roswell. Maria never noticed what Alex saw...a strangely shaped bruise on her right arm near her shoulder.

"Liz, Hun, take off your coat. Stay a while," Maria joked as her friend placed the pink booties on the nightstand.

"I'm comfy, really," Liz lied. She feared the mark on her wrist might not have yet faded. She desperately wanted to confide in her friend, but Liz did not want Maria to get the wrong idea about Jackson.

"Liz, it's 90 degrees outside...and you're wearing a leather jacket," Maria tried to reason.

"It's always cold in hospitals. Hey...um, do you need anything. I mean, do you want something from the cafeteria...besides the yummy grub I'm sure they bring to your room?" Liz asked tactually changing the subject.

"Sure," Maria said accepting defeat...this time. "I'd love a Coke. No, a Cherry Coke...with one of those curly straws?"

"I'll try," Liz said as she left Maria's room.

"I think we may have a problem," Maria said to Hope.

Liz took a deep breath as she left Maria's room and entered the long hallway to the elevators. She escaped the inevitable interrogations for now. Besides, she felt no reason to go into detail about her situation with Maria. She didn't want to upset Maria for nor reason. Jackson promised this was the last time. He promised he wouldn't lose his temper anymore. Liz tried to believe him. She needed to believe him. Liz felt Jackson was her only hope for a normal future. A future that didn't involve glowing handprints or emergency trips outside the solar system.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.