Fanfic - Michael/Maria
"Chasing Hope"
Part 23
by Candy Doris
Disclaimer: The characters are not ours, just the creative circumstances in this particular fanfic came from our minds.
Summary: All our favorite characters are chasing hope...in every sense of the word. When the aliens leave to follow destiny, their earthling counterparts are forced to follow a destiny of their own with Hope being their only guidance. But what happens when the past and future, destiny and hope blend together and the future becomes past and the hope becomes destiny?
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Author's Note: There are two imaginations behind this fanfic. One in California, one in Florida. A chance meeting empowered us to work together, each using our individual talents of editing and writing, respectively, and ultimately taking the first steps in achieving our dreams. Please let us know what you think. (Your conscious will eat you alive until you do!) Please copy both of us at the following email address: alienaddict4ros@hotmail.com & mdomingjr@aol.com
Maria was stunned. Her name was legally changed the day after she signed with her record label. Only people from her past knew her as Maria. She didn't understand how her doctor could possibly know her as Maria. She became afraid. Her biggest worry since she gained celebrity status was that the FBI might one day discover Hope was half alien. Since the doctor did not identify himself as someone she knew from Roswell while growing up, she became concerned for Hope's safety.

Maria heard a nurse enter her room. "Nurse," Maria asked in a frantic. "What does my chart say?"

"Excuse me?" the nurse asked.

"What does my chart say my name is?" Maria demanded.

"Are you having trouble remembering things?" the nurse asked calmly being careful not to alarm the patient. She became concerned that the swelling of Maria's brain might have affected her memory.

"No, I just...please. What does my chart say?" Maria asked again.

The nurse moved to the bed and lifted the clipboard that hung near the foot. She moved her finger down the page and found the patient's name. "It says your name is Marianna." The nurse paused and looked up at Maria. "Oh my gosh," she said slowly. "You're Marianna? I never would have recognized you. You look so different without..."

"Where's my daughter?" Maria interrupted. She feared the worst. And she wondered if the doctor's name had anything to do with why he called her Maria. She worried that if the doctor were indeed FBI, then he might have used the name Guerin to throw off the guard of his victim. Maria could recognize trouble, but Hope would have no idea. Maria feared that Hope, being young, innocent, and naive, might openly talk about things that could get her into trouble. Maria had asked Hope time and time again not to show anyone her special skills and she trusted that her daughter would obey. Still, Maria knew Hope was young and lacked the ability to recognize potential trouble. Hope didn't understand why she wasn't allowed to show people what she could do and Maria knew Hope might be tempted to act out if someone used candy or dolls or other toys to persuade her.

Maria's anxiety grew by the second. She pictured the white room that haunted Max's nightmares for so many nights. She pictured her daughter being lured into black SUVs by men dressed in black suits. She pictured Hope laid out on a table with tubes in her arms and straps on her feet.

"Well?" Maria asked frantically.

The nurse moved her finger further down the paper. Your chart says your daughter, Hope, is in the temporary custody of Alex Whitman.

Maria smiled. "Oh!" she thought. "The doctor probably heard Alex and Hope call me Maria. That's how he knows me by that name. Hope is okay." Maria mentally scolded herself for overreacting. "I'm just an overprotective mother," Maria thought with great relief.

The nurse continued. "She was released about two hours ago and she and Mr. Whitman have checked into one of our family patient rooms on the second floor."

"Thank God," Maria said as she sighed. She had always been able to count on Alex. She more thankful now than ever that her lawyer had forced her to write a living will. She knew she would never regret giving Alex custody of Hope. She'd had a very hard time deciding between Alex and Liz. Still, she had to think about Hope's feelings and she knew Hope would have very little trouble adjusting to life with Alex. Especially since Alex had lived with them from day one.

"Dr. Guerin has opened your visitation. Would you like me to bring Hope to see you?" the nurse asked returning Maria's chart to the bed frame.

"Please," Maria said thankful for Hope's safety.

As the nurse began to leave the room, Maria called, "Nurse? One more thing?"

"Sure," the nurse said.

"Do you have Internet access?" Maria asked.

"We have it at the nurse's station," the nurse replied wondering what the patient's request could possibly be.

Maria smiled with a little embarrassment. She hated to ask for such a favor, but she was anxious to know. "Could you look up the winners list from the Grammy's and..."

The nurse laughed and answered, "Sure. I'll let you know."

Part 22 | Index | Part 24
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.