FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Breaking Free From Loss of Liberty"
Part 3
by Calie
Disclaimer: Roswell, the characters, and situations are owned by the WB. No infringement intended.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG-13
Maria ran quickly to her room, almost knocking down some people that mistakenly were in her path. Once there she shut the door and picked up the phone. "Base 2698. Contact 4829-341." she said into the phone breathlessly.

When she heard a familiar voice on the other end giving her access code and then the click of the operator disconnecting, Maria spoke. "Liz!"

"Maria! Oh god I'm glad you called right away." Liz said obviously relieved.

"Liz, why are you calling, I haven't talk to you in over two months." Maria said into the phone.

"But I said when things changed I would call, no sooner, no later." Liz told Maria, almost excitedly.

"What changed?" Maria asked cautiously, as if it could be for the worse.

"I think it's time you came home, Maria"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Absolutely not."

"What!" Maria screamed. Her eyes flew to her mother, who was equally shocked.

"Why not?" Amy asked him.

"Because it is my choice." Brian DeLuca said evenly.

"Oh no, don't you pull that almighty crap with me." Amy said as she stood up.

Maria bounded from the chair she sat in. "We had a deal! When and if they believed me I could go back!"

"Well I am going back on my deal!" Brain yelled.

"This isn't some deal you made with some idiot! This is your daughter! I will no let you condemn her to this life!" Amy screamed angrily.

"So I should put her out in the world! In danger of people who could kill her!" Brian yelled as he stood up abruptly.

"This is my life!" Maria yelled at him. "And I hate it here! I do not belong here!"

"And you agree with this?" Brian asked Amy. He wasn't prepared to let Maria go. At least her, with him, he could be sure she was okay. But even though he helped to free the aliens, he still didn't trust them. He didn't trust anyone for that matter.

"She belongs back in Roswell." Amy said firmly. "And I am going with her."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz peered through the kitchen door at them, as she talked into the phone. "When will you be here?"

"Some time around eight tonight." Maria answered.

Liz sighed. "I really needed a week to prepare for this."

"Well my father was a little angry and ushered us out rather quickly. But he'll get over it."

"Maria, when you get here, what are you going to do?" Liz asked hesitantly. "The whole situation will be very uncomfortable."

Maria groaned. "Nothing."

"Maria you can't just ignore the situation and expect it to go away. Look I don't know to much about what went on. But I do know it was bad. I can tell." Liz lectured her friend.

"Liz, I know. But for now, I do nothing. They wouldn't want to talk to me anyway, even if they are beginning to understand."

"I think you're going to have a problem with Michael." Liz told her.

"I know, I know." Maria said softly.

"No, you don't. You haven't seen him in three months. You really messed him up. Because he is tearing himself apart trying to understand what happened with you." Liz explained to Maria, trying to make her understand.

"Because he won't believe the truth!" Maria exclaimed.

"And can you blame him?" Liz retorted.

"No." Maria responded obviously upset. "Liz I'm worried about something. More precisely you."

"Why? I'm fine Maria." Liz reassured her.

"That's not what I mean. They know my truth. Of course they don't want to believe some of it. But that isn't the point. They don't know about you. Here what I'm seeing. I come back but for some reason aren't around them. Now in any normal situation, you would start suspecting something had went on. But in this situation you know something has, and you aren't going to push. Now aren't they going to wonder why you are so oblivious to the tension?" Maria alerted Liz to the fact. And deep down, there really was only one solution. "Liz what I am saying is, hiding your part in this could cause problems."

"So you want to tell them?" Liz exclaimed. That was the last thing she wanted to do. She didn't want to lie to them, especially Max. But they were already mad at Maria, immensely. She didn't think she could handle them feeling that way towards her.

"Liz it may be the only way!"

"Look, I gotta go, they've been here for a while and I am going to tell them. We'll talk about this other thing later. Wish me luck." Liz said to Maria.

"Make it subtle." Maria told her.

"I'll do my best." Liz responded. But subtle would hardly help her here.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Liz sighed as she watched her three friends talking. This wouldn't be easy for her. She hadn't had the training Maria had. And now she had to act happy about the return of her best friend, and ignore their tension and worry.

"Hey guys!" Liz exclaimed brightly as she walked towards their table. "Guess who I just talked to?" Liz asked quickly.

"Who?" Max asked, a little curious.

"Maria! She is coming back to Roswell!" If Liz hadn't known already that something was up, she would have known now but the tense looks on their faces. Maybe Maria was right. They where being very obvious. And it would be hard for anyone to ignore.

"When?" Isabelle forced out.

"Tonight! I'm going to go to her house. Do you all want to come?" Liz asked them happily. Of course they wouldn't though.

"We um have some stuff to do. Sorry Liz. Actually we have to go now." Max said and stood up, with the others joining him quickly. Max pulled out a twenty to pay for their food, and shoved it into Liz's hand. "Tell her we um said hi though." Max said to Liz nervously, then the three of them left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I think we should leave." Michael said as they exited the Crashdown.

"Leave?!" Isabelle exclaimed as they jumped in the jeep. "No, our lives are finally getting back in order."

"Do you want to go back there?" Michael asked her angrily.

"Look, we are not going anywhere." Max said firmly. "Maria said she couldn't come back, and I got the impression that it was because of us."

"And you trust her!?" Isabelle screamed to her brother. They where both being unreasonable. She was caught right in the middle.

"I don't know what to believe!" Max yelled back. "But if they were going to take us, I don't think they would need Maria here to do it."

Part 2 | Index | Part 4
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.