FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Back to Basics"
Part 1
by Missy
Disclaimer: If I had Roswell it would be called the Candyhour. That should pretty much sum up this disclamer...
Summary: It's after Destiny and Michael and Maria are not used to being around each other alone yet. And that doesn't help the fact that they are fixing to team up again.
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: PG
Authors Note: This is my first fic so feedback would be great. Good or bad.
"Would you just shut up!" Michael screamed as they were driving south down 285.

"Me? I'm not the one going off here, buddy, you are." Maria said angrily to her driving companion.

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Michael said with an infuriating smirk under his breath. Even though she wasn’t looking directly at him, she could still tell he was enjoying their little spat.

"What? Huh? Wait just one gosh darn minute. Listen, Space Monkey, if you have something to say to me, just go ahead and say it."

"Look, as much as I love our little sparing matches, I really need to think here." He said as he relaxed his fingers on the steering wheel.

Maria let out a deep sigh, then popped in one of her CD's into the CD player. After a few minutes of silence, the car was filled with the sounds of Matchbox Twenty. Michael laughing slightly under his breath and shook his head.

"What?" Maria asked, wondering what problems he would come up with now. She thought she would spare him a little, so instead of putting in her *N Sync CD, she thought Matchbox Twenty wouldn’t be as bad to him…guess not.

"Oh, nothing... I just thought the only thing you listened to was whatever was on the cover of Teen Beat or Bop Magazine.” An image flashed through his mind of what he thought Maria would look like reading one of them. Sitting on her bed, reading those magazine’s and drooling over all the teen ‘heart throbs’ For a moment, he wished he could look like that so she would dream of him the way she did Leonardo Dicaprio

"Hardy har har, very funny. It just so happens that Matchbox 20 is one of my favorite bands." She said nonchalantly.

"Okay, whatever." He said, acting as if he didn’t care what she listened to. But in reality, he loved to know as much as he could about her.

“Oh, and what music do you listen too? Please? Metallica? That music is just awful, you can’t even think when it’s playing. How can you even understand the lyrics?"

"Awful? Are you joking? Oh let me guess, you got that out of the ‘hot or not’ section of YM magazine….right? Sorry if my music isn’t emotionally stimulating for you. It’s not like you care anyways." Michael said, realizing what his last sentence said, he shut his mouth.

"Would you just shut up and drive?" She said, trying to change the subject and the mood.

"Fine." He replied.

"Fine," Maria said as she crossed her arms and glared out the window. She waited a few minutes until she spoke again. "Are we there yet?" She asked harshly.

"You sound like some 5 year old girl." Michael replied just as icily. This was their first time alone together since the breakup. Since Michael told her they couldn't be together because he didn't want her to get hurt.

‘Like breaking up with me was going to hurt less…guys have twisted minds.’ She thought bitterly to herself. But that wasn't all he said when he broke it off. He also told her that he loved her. Even now, three months after the whole ordeal, she still couldn't get over it. She still couldn't get over him.

-Earlier that day- It all started that morning when Max and Tess went out to see River Dog to find out some crap Nasedo was talking about. Michael didn't fully explain.

‘Does he ever?’ She thought to herself. She was at the Crashdown cleaning tables, when she heard noises in the back. Liz was off, and she knew it wasn't the cooks, so she thought she'd check it out. And there he was, Michael Guerin, going through her purse. "What the crap do you think you're doing?!" Maria asked in a stage whisper so she wouldn't give the customers a heart attack.

"Nothing," Michael replied coolly. It was the first time all summer long where she was in a room alone with him. Sure they had seen each other but they didn't make eye contact. Maria knew she couldn't, because she knew once she did, she would break. And Michael couldn't dare look at her face, for fear he himself would break the remaining pieces of wall held up inside him.

"Listen, Max and Tess went off without Isabel and me." The way he said Isabel’s name, to Maria it made her sound like the most important girl the world. Way more important than little ole’ Maria anyhow. Maria winced at her name, "Oh, Isabel. I see..."

"Maria, I'm not in the mood right now, okay?" Michael instantly felt guilt wash over him, "Look, I'm sorry. Everything is just really strange right now, and I know the last thing you need is me here right now. But look, just let me use your car and I'll never bother you again."

Maria felt her heart break for the umpteenth time, "Okay, but I'm going with you. I just got a new car and the last time you took it, things didn't turn out to well," Maria said with a smirk.

After a deep breath, Michael knew he was defeated. "Fine," he said with a sigh.

"Good," Maria said triumphantly. She then tossed Michael the keys.

Michael groaned to himself, "This is going to be a long day."

After about two hours on the road due to Maria's "stops," they finally arrived at River Dog's. "It's about freaking time." Maria exclaimed as she stretched her legs.

Michael turned to look at her. "Yeah, well, we would have gotten here a lot sooner if you didn't drink that gallon of Sprite." He too, was stretching.

"Could you just shut up, okay? I’m sick of hearing you talk all right? We're here now and that's all that matters. So what are we doing here, anyway?" Maria took this opportunity to look around her surroundings

"I already told you…a few times. We have to find Max and Tess and figure out what is happening." He said matter-of-factly.

"What’s the point? If they had wanted you to come, they would have asked. But no, you think everyone is plotting to be against you and to keep you out of the loop." Maria said, flinging her arms in the air to show her sarcasm.

"That's not the point," Michael answered quietly. "Listen, I didn't mean it like that, okay? I just meant that maybe they needed to come out here alone." Michael sighed and walked back to the car.

"What are you doing?" Maria asked, seeing Michael turn and walk back to the car door. "I'm going back," Michael stated. Maria was at loss and yet furious. "Since when do you listen to a word that comes out of my mouth and besides, you drag us both down here to no man’s land, and you want to just head on back?"

"You mean to tell me those noises that come out of your mouth are actually words, could’ve fooled me?" Michael answered with a grin that made her either want to kill him or kiss him. Maria melted. How could he do that? How could he just walk into a room with that "I don't need anybody" attitude, and those puppy dog eyes that make her knees turn to jelly and her heart pound in her ears?

"Ugh!" Maria screamed in frustration.

"What are you upset about Maria? I'm agreeing with you." Michael, being a typical male and not understanding Maria’s thinking.

"That's the whole point! You're agreeing with me! Why? Why are you agreeing with me?" She could tell that he still didn’t get it.

"What are you freaking out about, Maria? You're not making any sense!" Michael had no idea what she was talking about. He was agreeing with her, wasn’t he? So what’s the big deal?

"Why? Why! How can you even ask me that? The reason I'm 'freaking out' is because it's been three months since you told me you loved me too much for me to get hurt, and then you said good-bye. I'm 'freaking out' because you have been avoiding me all summer! I'm 'freaking out' because you can do this to me!" The tears in Maria's eyes were shining, daring to spill down her red cheeks. "I'm 'freaking out' because all summer long I've been trying to get over you, and I've done good. I've been so proud of myself Michael. And here you come and bring back all of these...these...emotions that I can't handle!" Maria broke down in a heap, exhausted from her sudden outburst and the hurt that she had been holding in for what seemed like forever.

Michael was in complete shock. He didn't know what to say or do, but he knew that he couldn't bare to see her cry, especially over him. He wasn’t worth her tears anyway. He was immediately by Maria's side, cradling her head in his neck and being relieved that she didn't push him away like she should be doing. It felt so good to have her back in his arms again, he had forgotten how good it felt.

Maria allowed herself to be comforted by Michael. Even though she knew it was wrong. Even though she was completely embarrassed over her sudden blow up. But she just couldn't take it anymore. She couldn't take the tightness in her heart that needed to be taken away. And for a small period of time, it definitely was.

After a few moments, Maria started to come out of her daze. As soon as that happened, her own ‘stone wall’ started to appear before Michael's eyes. Maria quickly pushed herself away from Michael's comforting hold and turned to walk back to where the Jetta was waiting. “

Where are you going?" Michael asked. He felt as if cold water had just been thrown in his face after having a good dream.

"I don't know. I just want to get out of here." Maria backed away quickly, but Michael grabbed her hand before she could go far. She could feel the heat moving up her arms just from that little touch. Apparently, Michael was feeling the same way. He pulled her closer until he could feel her breath on his neck. His hand moved around her small waist. Maria was lost, her eyes fell shut and her brain went dead. Michael lifted her chin with his hand and cupped her cheek. He knew this was so wrong, that this shouldn't be happening. But he didn't care. All that mattered was that she was here. In his arms again.

He felt so warm inside. So...calm. Calmness, something Michael Guerin never felt. It was ironic how in his whole life, the only times he was ever calm was with Maria. Maria Deluca, the most frantic, ecstatic, loud mouth he knew could make him feel so relaxed. Maria opened her mouth to say something, but Michael wouldn't have it. He crashed his lips upon hers in an earth-melting kiss. Maria snaked her hand up his chest to the back of his neck, pulling him closer and closer. Michael had forgotten how their bodies fit together so perfectly. Maria really was his other half.

After what seemed like a lifetime, Maria broke abruptly from his tender grasp. "What do you think you're doing?" she shrieked, gasping for air.

Michael looked really shaken and yet exhilarated. "I...I...I don't know, I was just..." Michael stammered, his heart beating ninety miles an hour.

"You were just what? You were just trying to take advantage of me or something?" Maria questioned, even though she knew very well that, that was not his intention. This wasn't his fault, it takes two to tango, but she wasn't about to let him know that little secret. Michael just looked at her like she was crazy.

"No, how could you even think that? I would never let anyone hurt you, let alone take advantage of you." In his voice, Maria sensed his sensitivity and truthfulness towards that statement.

Maria sighed, not knowing how to respond. "Look, Michael, let's just go home, okay? I don't want to stay here anymore."

Michael simply nodded his head, turning away. "I'm sorry I dragged you into all this," he said with his back turned to her, "It's just that ever since all of this has happened... This whole 'destiny' thing, the Pierce thing..." he trailed off. "Everything is just really different now. And I know that doesn't just go for me. For you, too. I wouldn't have even bothered to use your car if it wasn't important. I'm just sick of Max, he just goes off with Tess and doesn't even bother to tell me about it. I know he's the leader but what happened to being my brother? Why did all of those things have to change?" Michael's voice shook as he spoke, "Why did Isabel have to be my mate?"

Maria grimaced at Michael saying this. "And Max be my leader? Why can't I just go back in time and change all of this…because it's my entire fault. I guess I really am a screw up. Always looking for answers, always wanting something more. Well, I guess I got my wish, didn't I?" he stated bitterly. Maria looked at him with a bewildered look on her face.

"Michael, look at me." He still had his back to her. "Michael, please?" When Maria realized that Michael wasn't going to on his own, she gently grabbed his arm and turned him around until he faced her. "Now look me in the eyes."

‘Look her in the eye? Was she nuts?’ He thought to himself. If he did that, he would surely crumble.

"Michael" Maria protested once more. Slowly, he slid his gaze from over her shoulder to meet her eyes. His eyes were darker than she'd ever seen them. They were simply haunting, but only Michael could be beautiful and haunting at once. "Michael, how can you even think this is all your fault? Things happen, life changes. It doesn't matter who you are." Maria's voice was soft and soothing to him. She was the only one who ever spoke to him in such a gentle tone. "I know that you're blaming yourself for everything that's happened," she continued, "but you can't, I won't let you." Michael looked up at her, thankful for what she had just said. He knew that she was right, but part of him wanted to just keep feeling guilty.

It was the only feeling he could have with out wanting more of it. "Thanks," was all he said. Michael never was one for many words.

"So. Is this the way it's going to be now between us?" Maria asked in the car when they reached Michael's apartment. The ride home had been quiet. Not uncomfortable, just peaceful, kind of like they had come to an understanding about where they were in each other's lives.

"What do you mean?" Michael asked. Maria took off her seat belt and turned to look at him.

"I mean, before Liz got shot, we never talked. Then we got to know each other in Texas, we fought, you kissed me, fought some more, you kissed me, broke my heart, then-"

"Okay, Maria. I get what you're going at." Michael interrupted her with a shy grin before she could go on any further. Maria laughed a little nervous laugh before she went on.

"Look all I'm saying is we never were friends, Michael. We can't be friends now. I can't just be your friend." She looked down after confessing this.

"I know" Michael said in a gentle tone. "That's why I've been avoiding you. I know we can't just be friends. I want to be so much more than that, but I don't want to see you getting hurt over me. I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to you, but especially because of me. I love you."

When Maria looked up she had tears in her eyes. "I love you too," she said, her voice cracking, "I love you so much, Michael, don't you understand that? Why are you so worried about hurting me by keeping me close, when you're killing me by pushing me away?" The tears flowed freely down her cheeks. Michael instantly gathered Maria in his arms once more.

"Shh" he said, as he wiped her tears away and then laid his chin on her soft hair. “Don't cry over me, okay? You know I love you. But if anything every happened to you on my account or not..." Michael shuddered. "I don't even want to think about that. You're the first person that has ever told me that they love me, and I actually believe them. I just hope you know how crazy you are." Michael said with a smile, holding back tears of his own.

Maria looked up and smiled with her tear-streaked face. "Well, at least I'm not the only nut around here." Both laughed off some of the tension. "So I guess this is really how it's going to be," Maria stated, to herself mostly, "Us wanting to be together, but 'destiny' in the way of everything."

Michael let out a breath as he rested his chin on her hair once more, letting his eyes falls shut. "Maria Deluca, nothing or no one stands in the way of what I need."

Maria looked up, confused. "Michael what are you- Ohh..." She never got to finish her sentence. Michael and Maria both knew that things would never be the same again. It was about time.

Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.