FanFic - Michael/Maria
"Angel"
Part 12
by Diana
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the characters. No infringement intended.
Summary: This is a really busy story… Lots of stuff happens. It takes place after “Destiny.” Let’s just say that someone gets pregnant (I wonder who ;-), someone gets hurt, a friend turns out to be an enemy, and an enemy turns out to be a friend. (Hope that isn’t too confusing)
Category: Michael/Maria
Rating: R
Authors Note: Don’t worry… It isn’t as bad as it looks… Some of the parts are really short. I guess this one has something for everyone. I hope everyone likes it. As always, thoughts are in brackets []… Feedback would be really, really appreciated for this one :-D
Liz found him sitting at the counter. “Michael?” She asked shakily.

He said nothing.

“Michael, please talk to me.”

He stared at the napkin holder in front of him. He’d run away from her again. He’d run out of the room as soon as she passed out. He didn’t know what else to do. His daughter was dead. His… Maria was unconscious. He had to get out of there. He had to run.

“Max says that Maria is fine. She passed out. That’s all. She’ll be fine.” Liz walked up to him and touched his shoulder lightly.

“Don’t touch me.”

Liz dropped her hand. “Michael--”

He flew to his feet. “Don’t even start, Liz. Don’t try and tell me that you know how I’m feeling, because you don’t. You have *no* idea.”

“Michael, I’m not saying that I know how you feel.”

“Good. Just don’t start with your sentimental shit.”

“What?”

Michael paced beside the counter. “Poor Michael. Don’t worry. Everything will be okay,” He said mockingly. “Don’t give me that. Everything will not be okay. My baby is dead, Liz. She didn’t even get the chance to live. And I didn’t do a thing about it.”

“You couldn’t have known. It’s not your fault.”

“It is my fault! I should have stayed with her. I *knew* that something was wrong. I knew it and I didn’t do a damn thing.”

“You tried. We all tried.”

“I didn’t try hard enough.” One tear escaped the corner of his eye and coursed down his cheek. He flicked it off before Liz had the chance to see it.

“You’re only human, Michael.”

He snorted. “If I was human, this never would have happened.”

Liz sighed. “Okay, so you’re not human. You’re not God either. You couldn’t do anything.”

“I could have!”

“The baby was already dead, Michael! She was gone before we even had the chance to save her and there’s *no* way she could have survived. The damage was already done.”

Michael looked her squarely in the eyes. “Get out.” He said icily.

“No.”

“I said get the hell away from me.”

“I love her too, Michael!” Liz yelled. “Look, Maria is my best friend and you know as well as I do that she’s going to need all of us now.”

“She won’t need me,” He whispered. “I let our baby die.”

“She’ll need you most of all, Michael. She loves you. You know that. But how are you going to help her when you’re a wreck?”

“And how am I supposed to feel, Liz?”

“The same way everyone else feels. You think that you and Maria were the only ones who lost something just now? I loved the baby too,” She sniffed. “I was supposed to be Auntie Liz. Maria and I would have gone shopping for baby clothes and baby things. I would have thrown the baby shower. I probably would have knitted booties, for all I know.” Liz brushed tears out of her eyes as she walked towards him. She looked straight at Michael. “I love them both. And believe it or not, I love you too. My first priority is Maria. I’m going to help you because I know it’ll help her. And because I know you’re gonna need someone to lean on right now, even if you won’t admit it.” She touched his shoulder.

Michael sighed. “It’s just…” his voice broke.

“You don’t have to say anything. Just know that we’re here for the both of you.” Liz said. She sighed heavily. “Listen, now that you’re down here you might as well stay down here. I really don’t think that you should go up there. Max and Isabel are… they’re getting Maria… and the baby…” She fumbled with her words. Tears flowed down her cheeks.

“I know,” Michael said.

“Yeah.”

She started to walk away.

“Liz?” Michael called softly.

“Yeah?”

“Can…” He bowed his head. “Can you stay for a while? I mean, if you think that Maria needs you then you should go but if not… I mean…”

Liz reached out to him. “Come here.”

She held him. She petted his spiky hair and cried in his arms. She pretended not to notice as he cried in hers.

***

“She’s awake.”

Michael’s face was the first Maria saw. The first she looked for when she opened her eyes. He sat beside her on the bed.

“Michael?” She said groggily.

“Hey…” He whispered. “You gave us quite a scare. Don’t ever do that to me again, okay?” He tried to smile. He needed to be strong for her.

“Michael…what happened?”

Max and the others left the room. Michael turned away.

“You don’t remember?” He asked softly.

Maria’s face grew pale. “Yes. I remember. I just… I just need to know.”

“Know what?” He reached for her hand. She was so cold. There were no scars, no signs of any damage at all. But she was still cold. And still so pale.

“I can’t--” She started.

“We healed you and you’re gonna be fine. You can’t even tell.” He clutched her hand. He turned away as a tear fell down his cheek.

“Michael--”

“Yeah. You’ll be just fine. Everything--”

“I can’t feel the baby anymore,” She said quietly. Michael ground tears out of his eyes with his fist.

“Michael, look at me. Please?”

He raised his head. He swallowed hard.

“I already know,” She said. She brushed a tear away. “I just need to hear it. Please. I just need to hear it.”

He raised her hand to his lips. One of his tears trickled on to her skin. “She’s gone,” He whispered. “Everyone… everyone tried. We saved you, but… It was too late for her.” He looked up at her. “I am so sorry, baby.”

Maria closed her eyes and wrapped her hand around Michael’s.

“It’s alright. Don’t be sorry. I’m not.”

Michael looked at her quizzically. She pulled closer to him.

“I love you. And I carried your child. We… didn’t have her for long, but we had her. That’s a blessing in and of itself.” She cupped his face in her hands. “I’m not sorry about that at all.”

Michael’s eyes flashed. “But she should still be here. Our daughter would still be alive if it weren’t for Nacedo.” He shook his head. “I can’t believe I trusted him.” He looked into Maria’s eyes. “What did he do to you?”

She could almost feel the bones in her face shattering again. She could almost feel his fists digging into her skin again. She could almost feel the baby being ripped from her body again.

Maria looked away. “I was in my room by myself. I was, um, singing to the baby. My mom used to sing me this pretty little lullaby and I was singing it to the baby.” She swallowed hard. “I didn’t even see him. He just grabbed me and dragged me out the door. He must have knocked me out. One minute I was at home, and the next, I was at your place. I don’t remember how I got there. But I woke up and he was standing over me. He had this look on his face.” Maria embraced herself and rubbed her arms. “I thought he was going to rape me,” She whispered.

Michael covered her hand with his.

“He didn’t,” She continued. “He just looked at me. He spat in my face and said I wasn’t worth it. Then he started hitting me.” She looked up at Michael. “What did I ever do to him? Why’d he do this to me?” Maria was in tears.

Michael wrapped his arms around her. “Shh… it’s okay. It’ll be all right.” He took her face in his hands.

“I’ll kill him for this. I swear it.”

Maria dried her eyes. “No. We can’t deal with that. I can’t deal with that, Michael. Not yet.” She brushed another tear away with her thumb. “Just stay here with me for now. Please. Can you just hold me?”

He put his arms around her again. They held each other close as they cried.

Part 11 | Index | Part 13
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.