FanFic - Max/Liz
"Taking a Step Back"
Part 1
by Mary N.
Disclaimer: I don't own these characters, I just wanted to barrow them and the situation that they are in.
Summary: What happens after Max tells Liz that they need to "Take a step back for a while." in the balance.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Max climbs down the fire escape pausing briefly at the bottom to compose himself. He knows that he has just hurt Liz deeply, but this is how it has to be. It is for the best. After seeing the doubt in her eyes when they where talking while waiting at the reservation for River Dog. He knew that they weren't ready to be together. He could see his own doubt reflecting back at him through her eyes. How could he expect Liz to commit to someone that might not even be here tomorrow. He had been afraid that some day he would hurt her, but he never thought that it would happen like this. He almost started to climb back up the ladder, but stopped himself. I have to do what I believe is best for the both of us. (It was tearing him apart inside, but he truly felt that it was the right thing to do for both of them.) If I don't leave now I will end up hurting her even more. How can I ask Liz to be a part of my life when I have no idea of the problems that could be coming my way. She was so afraid when she saw Michael sick. Not knowing what to do, or how to help. If she committed to being with me it would only bring more of that pain to her. It is better that she hurts a little now, than for us to grow closer and something happen to me.

I also have Isabel and Michael relying on me. They're my only real family, and we have to be there for each other no matter what. I need to keep my thoughts on what is really important, my family. I can't let them down. I should have told them about the cave drawings; not at first, maybe, but things have been calm for a while now. I was just have been thinking of myself, and of how much I wanted to be with Liz. Nothing else seemed to matter. It took almost losing Michael for me to see what was really important. We need to find Nasedo, and find out as much about ourselves as we can. There are just to many unanswered questions. I have to find some answers. I can't risk losing Isabel or Michael they mean far to much to me, to my life. If there are answers out there, I have to find them. Max slowly walks over to the jeep, takes one last look up a Liz's balcony. He climbs in and drives away.

******************

Liz is sitting on the edge of her bed with her face buried in her hands. I can't believe it. I can't believe what has just happened. It has to have been a bad dream, just a bad dream. Max, I told you that I was sorry, sorry for hesitating. If only I hadn't hesitated. This wouldn't be happening. It is happening, it hurts so much more than I ever thought it could. It feels like someone has their hand around my heart squeezing it tighter and tighter.

Liz reaches for her pillow and holds it close.

I have to pull myself together. That is just what I have to do. I have to ........

Liz wipes the tears from her eyes, stands up walks over and picks up her journal. She sits down in her lawn chair and starts to write of the nights events. She pauses and stares up at the stars.

******************

Isabel and Michael are sitting on Max's bed talking when Max walks into the room. (He looks really warn out.)

How is Liz doing? asks Isabel. She knew that had been were Max was heading when he left earlier.(Max doesn't respond to the question.) Is everything alright Max?

Yea, every things fine. I'm just more tired than I thought. Do you mind if we continue this talk another time?

Yeah, Maximilian. I think that we are all worn out, says Michael.

Max pulls a sleeping bag out of under his desk and unrolls it on the floor beside his bed while saying, "Michael, your welcome to stay the night if you'd like."

That sounds great, I really don't want to deal with Hank tonight. He has been even worse than ever since Topolsky took a visit to the trailer. It seems that she told him that if I didn't start to attend all my classes, they would have me removed from his care. He doesn't care about me, but the idea that he'd lose that monthly check really bothers him. So he has been all over my case. . Max is slumped over, trying not to shed anymore tears. He moves his hand to his eyes and presses at the tear ducts to stop the tears from coming. Isabel doesn't look convinced, she is sure that something is wrong, and her brother is trying to hide it. She says good night, not wanting to push it with Michael here. Max says "Good Night Is." as he pulls down the covers on his bed. Michael also says good night.

Isabel walks into her room. Max wasn't truthful with us. I know him to well. Something is bothering him. Something is either wrong with Liz, or Max is still hiding another secret from Michael and me. I believe that it has to do with Liz. Max's face looked like he had just lost his best friend. So, what happened? I just have to know, but how.(We start to see a smile growing on her face as she starts to shake her head. She knows how.) It won't hurt for me to take a little walk around in Liz's dream, for awhile. I would have a better chance of getting Max to talk to me, if I knew what was bothering him. But what if she is dreaming about her and Max together. I really don't need to see that. I mean Liz dreaming about getting all sweaty with Max. Gross, just the thought makes my skin crawl. But what if I am right and something really bad is bothering Max. Something that could effect Michael and me. Something that he is afraid to tell us. Something that he has talked over with Liz. I just have to know, I'll just take a quick look. If she is thinking about Max, in you know, that kind of way, I can just leave. (Isabel retrieves her yearbook off of her night stand. She prefers to keep it there because it is convenient for just this purpose. She scans for a picture of Liz. When she finds one she touches it, and drifts off into Liz's dream.)

Dream scene: (Liz is sitting on her bed staring at a movie screen. But there is no movie playing. Liz has the control in her hand and her finger is still on the off button. Isabel sits down on the bed next to Liz.)

Isabel inquires, "What are you watching Liz?" Nothing, I had to turned them off for now. We can still see her tear stained cheeks. "Liz what do you mean, Turned them off? Isabel asks with a puzzled look on her face. My feelings, I can't think clearly. Have to be strong. Can't deal with them. I want to cry. No more! I must deal with this. Only time can help now. No amount of time can heal this. Nothing can fix it. This hurts to much. Isabel, still trying to figure out what is causing this pain in Liz asks. "Liz what is it, what is hurting you?"

Liz hesitated, then answered "Max."

Isabel's eyes open, she's awake back in her room. Liz must have woken up. Isabel setup on her bed and continued to think about Liz's dream. Going over the pieces of information she had heard. She said she turned off her feelings, maybe she meant that she wants to. I've known what that can be like. Then Liz said, That it was to painful. What's to painful? And it involves Max. How could Max have caused Liz pain? It doesn't take Isabel long to figure it out. But she was missing one piece to the puzzle. Why!

*********************

Liz sits up in her bed, her alarm is going off, so she reaches over and turns it off. Her face is expressionless - almost cold, but her eyes tell the truth of the story. She had fallen asleep crying. Well, I have to get going sometime it might as well be now, she told herself. Trying to be brave. She climbs out of bed and walks over to her closet and picks a blue striped cotton shirt and a pair of jeans to wear. After dressing she walks over to the full size mirror hanging on the wall. Looks inside to check how her cloths look. "It will do"she tells herself. Then proceeds to fix her hair, while fixing her hair she starts giving herself a pep talk. School is probably the best thing for me today. I especially need to get my mind off of Max and everything that has happened. The more normal my life is... the easier this is going to be. I can do this. I have to do this. How am I going to do this? How am I going to deal with you Max?.. Stop it Liz Parker! Pull yourself together. This isn't the end of the world. It's just a bump in the road. Liz grabs her backpack, heads down the stairs, and out through the alley door.)

******************

Max and Michael are sitting at the Kitchen table eating their breakfast. Max is eating rather slowly, he is still dragging this morning. He tries not to draw any attention to himself. He's afraid that they will notice that something is bothering him. He really doesn't want to discuss his decision with them. Max gets up from the table and clears his dishes as Isabel enters the room.

Good morning guys, how did you sleep? Isabel looked straight at Max as she asked this question. Max felt that this question had been aimed at him. However Michael didn't seem to catch it and said great. Then asked Isabel if she was ready to get going? Michael, I'll be ready in just one minute, Isabel answered. You could hear the sarcasm in her voice and in fact she was annoyed with Michael answering the question she had in fact aimed at Max.

Max was indeed grateful that Michael hadn't caught on to Isabel's intent. He took this opportunity to quickly avert the questioning by asking, "Will the both of you start making a list of the questions that you would like to ask River Dog? I want to try to get out there and see him as soon as possible.

Michael chimes right in, I'm with you, and Max it's about time. Shall we meet at the Crashdown Cafe after school and head on over? No Michael, I think that it is best to wait until after dark. So lets meet outside the cafe at dusk, suggests Max.

Why don't we meet inside the Crashdown before dusk so that we can go over the questions we want to ask? Counter offers Isabel. Isabel watches her brothers face hoping to catch a glimpse of emotion. Max gives away nothing. He doesn't want to meet inside the Cafe. Liz might be working tonight. It is going to be hard enough seeing her at school. We could go over the question in the jeep on the way. He suggests instead, trying not sound suspicious.

Well I thought that you might want to see Liz. Isabel is trying to corner Max into telling her what happened between him and Liz last night.

Max has to think quickly on this one. I don't think that she is working tonight, and I really thought that this would be something that just the three of us should do. He did it, but that was a close one. Isabel realizing that this isn't working; gives up for now. Michael is still sitting in his chair listen to this conversation. Shaking his head in disbelief. Even though this has been fun, I think that we had better get going, or we'll be late. Both Max and Isabel look at Michael in complete surprise. Max ask Michael, "Since when are you in a hurry to get to school?

****************

Max has a worried look on his face as he is walking slowly down the hallway at school, he reaches a door, opens it, and enters. It's Biology class. Liz isn't there. Max looks a little relieved as he moves to his seat. Just as he puts his books down he looks up to see Liz entering the classroom. Liz freezes when she sees Max already in the room. Someone behind is trying to get in the room as well. She realizes that she is holding up traffic and moves forward to take her seat. Max can't take his eyes off of her. He looks like he wants to ask her something , but doesn't. Liz tries to ignore his presents and starts to fidget with papers in her backpack. The class bell rings and Ms Hardy stands up from behind her desk.

Class today we are going to look at the difference between male and female blood cells. So, I need you to pair up male and female. Even though we are all of the same species. There are obvious physical difference between male and female. I want you to identify as many cellular similarities and differences as you can find and log them in on your lab sheets. Lets get started.

Max starts to get up and ask to be excused when Liz stops him. Looking nerves Liz whispers "Wait Max, you can't keep running out every time we have to use our own cells in one form or another. I mean, don't you think that someone might catch on. I know your secret and you know I'd never tell. Even if we aren't going to be together as, you know a couple. We are still going to have to work together. And besides this could be a good thing. I mean have you ever seen what your blood cells look like?"

Liz we can't risk using my cells. What if someone else were to see them? They won't Max, if we are careful. We can clean up really well when we are done, and if your still worried, you can take everything we use with you when we're done. Max aren't you at least a little curious?

They both complete their own slide. Liz puts her's in first. She wanted to get a good look at what a "normal" blood sample looks like under the microscope. Max also wanting to see the difference looks at Liz's. Then he quickly takes hers out and puts his in. (Both of them are feeling rather awkward around the each other.) Then slowly moves in and takes a look. He backs away and sits down. Liz looks through the eye piece. To her surprise, she sees that his blood cells don't look that much different than her own. With only one real difference' Max's blood cells radiate with some kind of green energy. Their curiosity has now been really sparked. Maybe they aren't as different as they had thought. What should we do now, asks Max. I mean aren't there other test that we could run to find out more.

Ms. Hardy interrupts their conversation. Class it's time to start cleaning up. For those of you that haven't been able to finish this assignment and need extra time, I'll be available tomorrow after school.

Liz and Max do an extensive cleaning job, they don't want to leave any traces of Max's blood behind. While cleaning their hand touches, Liz pulled her hand away as if his touch had hurt her in some way. The expression on Max's face looks like Liz has just slapped him. However it softens when he sees her wiping tears from her eyes.

Max for the first time realizes that Liz has been fighting back her feelings. Trying not to show him how difficult this is for her. She didn't want me to know how hard this has been on her. She is hurting more than she wants me to know. I never wanted to hurt her.

The class bell rings. Liz picks up her bag and hurries out of the room as fast as she can. She heads straight to the girls restroom and splashes water on her face.

******************

Michael stops Maria in the hallway, and tells her that they need to talk. She asks, where? Michael looks around, then pulls her into the Janitor's closet.

Maria I never got to thank you for being there for me when I was sick. I wanted you to know that I realized something. (Michael pauses) You mean more to me than I wanted to admit to anyone. Least of all myself. I also realized the no one is meant to be alone. I don't want to be alone anymore, I want to be with you. He pulls her close to him and kisses her with more passion then ever before.

Michael don't get me wrong. That kiss was great and all, but how do I know that you're not going to break my heart again.

Maria to be honest, you don't. But if your willing to take a chance on me, than I am willing to give us a real honest try. You know that I'm not very good at letting people into my life. So, if your willing to bare with me. Who knows it might just workout.

*******************

Isabel and Alex are sitting in the grass under a large shade tree eating their lunch together. Thank you Alex for all of your help with Michael when he was sick. I'm sorry that I yelled at you. I know that you were only trying to help. I told you, you were one of the good guys. Just something about you, told me that I could trust you. Alex thanks Isabel for her kind word, and then continues. No problem, Anything for you Isabel. I mean for all of you. Alex is turning different shades of red, and Isabel smiles at Alex, then she reaches over and takes his hand. Alex looks down at their hand. Wanting to make sure that she was hold his hand, and not him holding his own. Then his smile got even bigger than it had already been. He starts to wonder if she is just grateful, or could she really be interested in me after all. Time will only tell.

Bring Alex back down to earth, Isabel asks, "Have you had a chance to talk to Liz today?" He answer, "Yay, I tried earlier, but she seemed like her mind was else were. Why? I'm not sure, it's just a feeling I have. You know that something's not right, that there is something bothering her and Max. My brother is trying to act like it's nothing, but I know him better than that. I thought that if I knew what the problem is, than I could help them get through it.

Well if I find anything out, I'll be sure to let you know. Alex tells her.

In History class Mr. Summers is passing out the personal biographies the class had turned in last week.

I am very pleased with the way this assignment went, so... I have decided to take it to the next level. This time you will be writing about someone that you look up to. One catch, this person must be someone that is no longer living. This means that you are going to have to a lot of research. I want you to find out as many personal things about your individual as possible. Then write it in an oral report. To help you out, we're going to meeting in the in the library for the next week. This assignment well be due next Monday. So, shall we get started. Mr. Summer leads the class to the library. Maria grabs onto Liz's arm. I have like the greatest news, but first Kyle is staring at you again, when is that boy going to get a life. Ooh, and I heard that Nikki Delaney broke up with him after the party the other night. I think she finally realized that he isn't over you yet. Smart Girl. Now back to the news. Michael pulled me into the janitor's closet earlier, he said that we "had to talk." Well to make this story short, we're back together. I thought that it would be so cool if we all went out to the movies or whatever. Doesn't it sound great. You know, you with Max and me with Michael.

Maria, it really does sound fun, but...... But? But what? You better talk fast Liz. But it won't happen. You see, Max broke up with me last night. Broke up with you? Maria repeated in surprise. I can't believe it. You two are meant to be together. I have never known two people that seemed more right for each other. Maria is still talking when they reach the Library doors. Maria guides Liz to a table in the back corner. Tell me everything, tell me what happened.

Well, to start what he actually said was, "We need to take a step back for awhile." You know it's still the same thing. He doesn't want to be with me anymore. Tears start to well up in Liz's eyes.

Outside the Library doors, Kyle stops Max without attracting unwanted attention. I know that you did something to Liz. I don't know what yet, but I'm going to find out, and if I find out that you have hurt her in any way Max - I swear I'll make you pay. Kyle gives Max a shove, and Max falls against the lockers behind him. Kyle walked away.

Max walks into the library he finds Michael and Isabel sitting at a table close to the front. They are talking about tonight's plan. They both look up as Max joins them. Michael asks him, "What kept you? Max answers, "Just, had to make a pit stop."

Liz and Maria are still talking in the corner. Liz, why didn't you tell me this sooner? Why didn't you call me, or at the least, let me know earlier? But no, you always have to be so strong. Handling everything all on your own. Times like these are when we need to be there for each other. If I didn't feel so bad for you right now; I would be angry at you.

Maria, I'd have called you last night, but it was so late that I was sure that you would already be sleeping. I tried to find you earlier, but it sounds like you might have been in the closet with Michael. Don't worry about me.... I'll manage....I always do. Maria I am so happy for you and Michael. You to were able to work out the differences. That gives me hope. Maybe in time Max and I will as well. Now we need to change the subject before you have me balling like a baby.

We'll just have to get together to night after work and talk; about how dumb these guys we love really can be, about emotions and stuff. Liz remember, just like you told me, He'll change his mind. He'll be back. He cares to much for you, you can see it in his eyes.

Maria, I have something else to tell you. Something that happened today in Biology Class. What Liz? Wait don't you and Max have Biology together? Yea , but I'm handling that. It does have to do with Max, but not just Max. You're losing me, get to the point. Maria's sounding confused. Liz's looks around to make sure that their isn't any one listening, and her voice got really quite. We took a look at Max's blood cells. You did what, are you both crazy? Maria's almost yelled.

Quiet Maria! We were really careful. But what we found was really surprising. Their blood cells don't look much different then ours. The only difference we found under the microscope, was Max's cells seemed to have a green energy radiating from them. We still have to run more tests, but maybe the cells aren't as different from us as we had thought. Ms. Hardy said that she would have the lab open tomorrow after school. I'm going to see if Max, Michael, and Isabel want to meet their and run some tests. I figured I could ask Ms. Hardy for some ideas of test we could run.

What are you going to do, walk up to her and say, "I was just wondering what kinds of tests I could run to find out more about alien cells."

Don't be crazy Maria, I'll just ask her how to find out more about comparing different types of Mammal, even more particularly, male and female mammals. That should at least be enough to get us started.

Maria, their all over there. Will you go over with me. I would really feel better if you would. Just incase I have a sudden attack of emotions, you know.

They both walk over and sit down with Max, Michael, and Isabel. Liz asks, Max have you told Michael and Isabel about Bio. Class today?

Not yet. I was just about to. Max says uncomfortably. He was worried what the they might say about the risk he took. Both Liz and Max fill them in. Then Liz continues to tell them all about meeting after school tomorrow. Everyone except Isabel, agree that its worth the risk. However she goes along with it. She can't deny that she too is curious.

Max and Isabel are on their way to pick up Michael at the Crashdown Cafe. They are going to see River Dog.

Isabel now has Max all to herself. What happened between you and Liz last night? You came home last night pretty upset. Don't try to deny it. I know you to well. Then in the library you both where acting like you were....strangers, and last night Liz ..... Max interrupts Isabel, Last night, what do mean last night? When did you see Liz last night. You didn't, you know visit her dreams did you? . Yes I did, you seemed so disturbed when you came in. Then you wouldn't talk about it. I thought that Liz's dreams might shed some light on what was bothering you.

Issy, you can't keep doing that, its not right to invade someone's privacy like that.

Chill out Max, it's not like I did it to hurt her or anything. I did it so that I could help. But what I saw puzzled me.

What did you see? He asked in a stronger voice than he had intended.

Oh now it's ok, because you want to know what she was dreaming? Typical! Anyhow it doesn't matter what I saw. What matters is that it answered my question. What was bothering you? But it brought up one question that she couldn't answer for me. Only you can. Why would you ... break up with Liz? Tell me what happened between you two?

After pausing Max says, "Well you figured out that we're not together anymore. But I didn't break up with her as you said. I told her that we needed to take a step back for a while. That way we could get a better look at the situation."

You did what!? Max, that's the same thing as breaking up. Here I thought that the guys from this planet were messed in the head, but you and Michael have to top the cake. It is obvious that Michael has a thing for Maria, and won't admit it.(They don't know about Michael and Maria making up.) But you, brother of mine, you're even worse. You have been crazy about Liz since the first time you ever laid eyes on her, you have risked all of our lives by healing her from a gun shot wound, you tell her our secret - which was something we promised never to do. Then when you finally get the girl; you break her heart. Max Evans when we get to the cafe you better take a moment and talk to Liz. You tell her that your sorry, and that you were wrong. I'll --I'll wash my hands of you! No! I'll turn you into Sheriff Valenti myself!

to be continued.

Let me know what you think.

Mary

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Part 2
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.