FanFic - Max/Liz
"To You, Everything I Bestow"
Part 1
by Charley
Disclaimer: I don’t own ‘Roswell’ or the song ‘Everything I Bestow’ by Mundy.


Summary: Ten years in the future, Liz Parker runs into Max Evans again by chance.


Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: Dedication: Major, major thanks goes to Dannie, who in all her greatness, hunted down the lyrics to the Mundy song for me. And Tinkerbell, for her 'english teacher' ways ;)


Well, you better not see me when you come back.
I could be sharin' someone else's pillow.
And my love for you is better than diamonds,
To you, ev'rything, I bestow.
And tomorrow I'll be dancing on my own,
And I'll need a kiss for my head that's achin'.
And I'll be a hungry dog without a bone,
hoping my place with you's not taken.

Kiss me and tell me it's not broken.
Kiss me and kiss me till I'm dead.
See, I'll give you the stars from the bruised ev 'nin' sky
and a crown of jewels for your head, now,
for your head, now, for your head, now, for your head

One last night in bed for a time,
and two more wishes. and both are for thine.
And three guesses you’re the angel's child,
and four hopes this love's not spoiled

Kiss me and tell me it's not broken.
Kiss me and kiss me till I'm dead.
See, I'll give you the stars from the bruised ev 'nin' sky
and a crown of jewels for your head, now,
for your head, now, for your head, now, for your head now

If you come back, I'll take you to the garden,
we'll dance to an orchestra on the lawn.
And we'll roll in the foggy dew
and dance with the ghosts upon the dawn., on the dawn, on the dawn

(Then you'll) Kiss me and tell me it's not broken.
Kiss me and kiss me till I'm dead.
See, I'll give you the stars from the bruised ev 'nin' sky
and a crown of jewels for your head, now,
for your head, now, for your head, now, for your head now
for your head, now, oh oh

~To You I Bestow by Mundy~

Ten years ago you came to me and told me I had to fall out of love with you. You don't remember it because it was the future you, but not the you in this future. It's complicated. It was hard as hell to do it; it was like a piece of me was dying with every passing second of the process of making you do so.

Before that you seemed so happy, I remember you smiling widely as you serenaded me with that cheesy song; I remember future you smiling at the memory before your eyes clouded over and told me that it had to be done, or else Michael and Isabel would die. I had to make it look like Kyle and I were sleeping together so you could start falling out of love with me- it worked, as you already know. Future you disappeared, and the then present you became closer and closer to Tess, until you two married five years ago. The wedding we were suppose to have, but couldn't. But then again, I know the repercussions of what happens when you go against destiny. You say we create our own destiny, and yes we can but at what cost? Michael and Isabel married seven years ago; they were always more accepting to alien ways then you were. The destiny Nasedo, Tess and your mother talked of was now fulfilled.

Nothing was perfect, far from it- or at least that's what Maria told me. After all these years, you and her were still friends. The skins seemed to keep growing and growing, ever time you killed ten, you'd fight a hundred more the next time is what she told me. Was that an exaggeration, Max? Maria's not really known for putting a highly realistic spin on things.

As for me, I went off to college and fulfilled all those hopes and dreams I had told Topolsky of. My third year of college I met this man, Matthew Leonard but everyone called him "Artie". Yesterday was our first anniversary as husband and wife; yesterday they told me you were dead. To think it was only a week ago you had reentered my life.

A sudden fire at the CrashDown gave my parents a reason to leave Roswell, New Mexico behind and to take me with them. They never found out the reason why there was a fire, but I knew- we all knew. Do you remember that day? Michael had come in to work looking rather, forgive my pun, alienated. He had some rather shocking news- the newest waitress, Courtney, was a skin. That’s about the moment she chose to come in. You, Tess, Isabel and Michael had all used your powers to successfully defeat her. Then one of your powers slipped, or maybe it was more than one of you, and there was an explosion. You all tried to put the fire out, like you did that day with your mother and the grease fire, but it was unstoppable. So we went outside, you all apologized a million times over but I really didn’t want to hear it. So I left, and Maria followed. Alex had told me that had lead to a rather brutal fight between you and Michael. Tess and Isabel were torn between the sides, Isabel had to choose between her friend and her brother while Tess had to choose between the man she loved and, if Isabel chose Michael, the only semblance of a friendhsip that she'd had since moving to Roswell. To everyone’s surprise Isabel choose Michael, and Tess choose you.

I moved to Florida with my parents and we stayed with my Aunt Janie until we found a place of our own. Maria said it had taken a few months, but the “pod squad” had reconciled. By that time Michael and Isabel were dating, you and Tess wouldn’t for another year.

A week ago, during a brief visit to Roswell, I was browsing through a near empty store. The only other person there besides me was the clerk. You came bursting through the door and held up your hand to use your powers when the clerk grabbed me. You recognized me...I could tell by the expression on your face. You refrained from using your powers because you knew that if you tried to harm him that I would be put in danger. The clerk threw me against the counter, knocking me unconscious, and ran away. The next thing I knew was that I was on your couch.I asked you how you could be so careless as to use your powers in a store that could have been full. You had told me that Isabel had acquired the ability to erase events from people’s minds and she had been right outside. That’s when Tess had entered the room. I couldn’t help but notice her wedding and engagement rings when she handed me a cup of tea. She complimented on mine, and I swore I had seen jealousy on your face but it had disappeared by the time there was a knock on the door. Tess disappeared before reappearing with Michael and Isabel. You all looked so much older, so much more worn out. Of course ten years had passed since I last saw you and you had been fighting, from what I had heard, a lot of alien enemies. It still amazed me seeing all of you again after all this time. I didn't realize how much I missed all of you.

I went back to my husband that night but I never told him anything about running into your, knowing you or the fact that you and I had once been in love. I didn't see you again until yesterday when, passing by an alley, I saw you fighting the same store clerk who was actually a Skin. He saw me and grabbed me, holding me hostage as he had done once before, and you stopped. I expected him to act the same way that he had done before, I expected him to run away. But he didn't. He held me with one arm and killed you with the other. Michael, Tess and Isabel immediately rushed in to the alley, the girls falling to their knees next to your body and I remember hearing muffled sobbing. I wanted to go over to them but I was still a hostage. Michael, in a rage, took a chance by grabbing me and managed to kill the Skin. Before I had a chance to say goodbye to you, you were rushed off to the pod chamber.

That night, after I returned from dinner with Artie, there was a message from Isabel on our machine asking me to call her. She told me the news that I had long feared ever since I found out about your destiny...you were dead. You were dead. Gone forever. You died for me, Max, even after I told you, all those years ago, that I wouldn't die for you. You went and died for me! Why didn't you take a chance like Michael had? Why? You loved me...that's why you died. That's why you had always been in danger.

They held a funeral for you this morning and I snuck away from Artie so I could attend. There really wasn't a body to bury but Michael, Isabel and Tess still held one. Kyle was there. I had heard that Sheriff Valenti had died in the line of duty three years back and he confimed that it was true. Maria and Alex flew in as well and, even though it had been a while since all of us had been in the same state, I learned that-no matter how long we were apart or how much we changed-the secret we still shared kept us connected.

Future you once told me that once one of the members of your unit was lost that the unit would be weaker. What's to become of them now? Can they survive without you, their leader to protect them? What will become of Michael and Isabel's son? Or your daughter if Tess is killed too?

It was our love that killed Michael and Isabel the first time around...but I went and changed that. But now, because of it, you died. What was the point of it all? On your home planet you all originally died in battle. What's changed your destiny so much taht you wouldn't die in battler here too? If there's one thing I have learned from being with you it's that nothing can stop destiny. No one can get away with changing it without consequences. That's why I have to say goodbye to you right now. After a decade apart, I really don't want to say goodbye...but there's no choice here. It's a done deal.

~-~-~-~-~-~

Liz Parker-Leonard crouched above the freshly buried grave, tracing the name softly with her fingers as she choked back a sob. She never thought she would have to give him another goodbye, not after she left for Florida, but now this was the final one. She stood up, looking sadly down at the grave before placing one white rose on it.

“I love you Max Evans,” She whispered softly, tears flowing freely down her face now. “I never stopped.”


The End.


Index
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.