FanFic - Max/Liz
"Theory of Relativity"
"Law of Gravity"
Part 3
by N/A
Disclaimer: The characters of Roswell belong to the WB, among others, I’m just borrowing them to tell a tale. Two e. e. cummings poems are briefly referenced in this little piece of fanfiction. Both are used only with great admiration for the poems and the poet.
Summary: A year or two down the road (still in highschool)…Max and Liz are about to end the friendship game they’ve been playing and what happens blows everybody away.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG
Authors Note: Again, forgive the vagueness but I think I’ll let you do the creative imagery for yourselves…I think this is the end.
(Scene: Max’s Bedroom. Max, sitting on his bed, is holding Liz’s bathrobe. Michael and Isabel just sit there with blank looks on their faces)

Isabel (looking up at Max and in complete shock): How?

Max (just shaking his head): I don’t know. (Max looks up at Michael and Michael just looks at him – speechless)

Isabel: What…(Max gets up from his bed and grabs the keys off of his desk)

Michael: Where are you going?

Max: Liz. (Michael wants to protest but Max is out the door before he can. Michael and Isabel just look at each other)

(Scene: Liz’s Roof. Max climbs up the ladder and walks over to her window. He gets within a foot of it and stops)

Max (under his breath): I shouldn’t be here. What am I doing? (He turns to leave when Liz opens up the window and sees him)

Liz (whispering): Max? (He stops and turns around.)

Max: Liz. How did you know I was here?

Liz: I didn’t. I was hoping you would come.

Max (holding up her bathrobe and a little embarrassed): I…uh…wanted to give this back to you.

Liz (smiling at him): Really? Well are you coming in or are you gonna make me come out there to get it? (Max relaxes a little and smiles. He walks over to the window and climbs in.)

(Scene: Various Morning Scenes. The first shot is of Max’s bedroom with Michael asleep on top of the covers with the yearbook next to him. Max’s floor is covered with a bunch of things from Isabel’s room – clothes, books, stuffed animals…etc. The next shot is of Isabel’s room. She is also asleep on top of the covers with her yearbook next to her. Her room is equally covered with items from Max’s room – books, clothes, sporting items, even his pet reptile. The final shot is of Liz’s bedroom. Max (fully dressed) and Liz are under the covers facing each other. Max is still asleep but Liz is awake and staring at him.)

Liz (barely whispering): I love you Max Evans…I have since the day you touched me…before then, even, I just didn’t know it…(There’s a knock at her door. She looks from Max to the door and then gently gets out of bed so as not to disturb Max. She walks over to the door, making sure it’s locked)

Mr. Parker (from behind the door): Liz, honey?

Liz (from behind the door, softly): Yea dad.

Mr. Parker: Just wanted to let you now that we’re leaving.

Liz: Okay.

Mr. Parker: We’ll be back tonight…the phone number’s on the fridge.

Liz: Thanks dad, you guys have a good time.

(While Liz is talking to her dad Max stirs in bed. He wakes up and takes a second to figure out where he his, that he’s fully clothed and what time it is. He sits up in bed and pulls the covers back – when he does he looks closely at the sheets of Liz’s bed and notices something on it. He moves his hand over it – like he’s going to erase it. Liz sees him as she’s coming back to the bed)

Liz: No! (Max looks from the stain to Liz’s face, confused) No…(Max touches the stain and has a flash of their shared dream and he realizes it’s blood, her blood)

Max: I…did this to you…

Liz (sitting on the bed and looking at the stain): It’s all I have…to remind me that it was more than a dream. (She looks up at Max with a sad face) I’m afraid…if I wash it…if you make it go away…then it really will be just a dream. (Max shifts on the bed and pulls Liz to him, comforting her, but before he knows it her face is millimeters away from his and she’s looking at him with those puppy dog eyes. They start kissing and as it starts to get more intense Liz pulls away just a tad to look at Max and with a pleading tone) Max…(They kiss again with the same intensity and eventually, somehow end up lying down on the bed. After even more intense kissing occurs Liz makes a move like she wants to take Max’s shirt off but Max reluctantly pulls away.)

Max: Liz, I can’t…(Liz just looks at him – hurt and rejected, she sits up and turns away from him)

Liz: Go.

Max: Liz it’s…

Liz (getting physically upset): Please go Max, I have nothing…You’ve taken my soul, messed with my mind, have had my body…there’s nothing left for you…

Max (getting off the bed and squatting in front of her): I want this Liz…I’ve wanted this with you since I’ve known what it was. But not like this. Were you ready two nights ago? We haven’t kissed in over a year and now we’re having…

Liz (looking up at him through watery eyes): Sex?

Max (brushing back her hair): Liz you and I have a connection that’s stronger than anything I’ve known…anything I can understand. I don’t want to lose that…I don’t want to lose you. I was mistaken. I pushed you away – maybe because deep down I knew this was there and it scared me – but it’s only gotten stronger. (He pauses to brush a tear off of her cheek) Can you forgive me? (Liz reaches out and caresses the side of Max’s face with her hand. She pulls him toward her and gives him a beautiful, gentle kiss. They look at each other and Liz gently places Max’s hand over her heart)

Liz: “I carry your heart(I carry it in my heart)” (Max looks down at their hands and then back to her face) I read it in a poem once…this is what he meant.

(Scene: Max’s Bedroom. Michael, sleeping on the bed, is awakened by Isabel coming into the room and sitting down next to him.)

Isabel: Max isn’t back?

Michael: Did you expect him to be?

Isabel (looking around at the mess): Did you try it with Maria again?

Michael (sitting up and disappointed): Yea. I tried giving her some pencils, a towel, and I think Max’s watch. (Picking up the watch he was referring to) Guess I’m lucky it didn’t work. You?

Isabel (also disappointed): The same – a teddy bear, a book, I think I even tried to give him my shirt…god I hope he doesn’t remember that.

Mr. Evans (poking his head in the door and taken aback by the mess): What’s going on in here? (Both Michael and Isabel jump at the sound of his voice)

Isabel: I was…uh…trying to convince Max to trade rooms with me last night.

Mr. Evans: Really?

Isabel: Yea, but he wouldn’t go for it.

Mr. Evans: Where’s Max?

Michael (thinking quickly): He went for a walk – said he needed to think about some things. (Michael and Isabel share a glance)

Mr. Evans: Alright, well I just wanted to let you know that mom and I are taking off…

Isabel: What’s it today?

Mr. Evans: A client in Clovis. He apparently forgets that there are some of us who have lives…and other things we’d like to do with them on Saturdays. But what can we do? Be back tonight. (He turns to go)

Isabel: Drive safe…(she lets out a sigh and looks over at Michael) Guess we should clean up this mess.

(Michael and Isabel start returning items back to their proper rooms. After a while Max comes in as Michael is picking up a bunch of Isabel’s cloths off the floor)

Max (laughing at the mess and knowing immediately what they did): You guy’s were busy last night.

Michael (curtly): Not as busy as you.

Max: What’s that supposed to mean? (Michael exits the room to return the clothes to Isabel’s room as Isabel comes in with a bunch of stuff from Max’s room. Max looks at Isabel and motions in Michael’s direction) What’s his problem?

Isabel: We’re just all a little confused about what this means…(Isabel drops the things on the bed and Michael comes in the room carrying Max’s reptile cage)

Max (seeing the cage and very surprised): You could move Tampa (pronounced taampa)?

Michael (curtly): Apparently so.

Isabel (sensing tension): Yea, I didn’t think we’d be able to move living things…

Max (looking at Michael): Do you have something you want to say to me?

Michael: No.

Isabel (attempting peacemaker): Max…

Max: Just say it Michael.

Michael (turning and giving Max one of his “looks”): Whatever this means we’ve still got rules, Maxwell. There’s still a lot of questions to answer before you rush out and do something stupid with Liz.

Max: Are you concerned Michael, or are you jealous? (Michael shoots him an evil look and Isabel sucks in her breath) I’ve been running from Liz – from this – for two years – twelve really. Well I’m done…(he looks at both of them) I’m done. There is always going to be danger, risks – no matter where we are or who we’re with…and yes there’s still a lot about us we don’t know. But are you gonna stand there and tell me this is a bad thing…that I have a “connection”…a bond beyond physical and mental comprehension with the three most important people in my life?

Michael (his attitude relaxes and he sits on the bed): I don’t know Maxwell.

Max: I mean, maybe this is what we do (looking from Isabel to Michael) you know, when we love somebody completely – without conditions…when we let them in – all the way…maybe this is how we know.

Isabel (sitting down on the bed next Michael): But what about mom and dad, they love us – but I couldn’t leave anything with them…

Max (also sitting down on the bed): But they don’t really “know” us Isabel – everything about us.

Isabel (nodding): I guess…

Max: I don’t know either…but we have three people who know everything about us…who have risked their lives for us – I don’t want to count how many times. We push them away to keep them safe but they end up coming to our rescue. I’m done pushing. We’re gonna graduate in a few months and I don’t want to lose her. Do you really want to lose Maria?

Michael (disgruntled): Not all of us are “connected” Max…I couldn’t leave anything in Maria dreams.

Isabel: Because you haven’t let her in Michael. Were do you think we (motioning to Max and herself) learned how to push – you’re Mister “I-push-people-away-for-a-living”.

Michael (looking at her with a reluctant smile): That coming from Miss Ice-princess Isabel.

Max: Look, when we were ten we made rules because we needed them…I’m just saying that some of those rules, maybe we don’t need now. (They just sit there, the three of them on the bed, deep in there own thoughts)

(Scene: Crashdown, same day, afternoon. Maria and Liz come through the double doors and head over to the counter.)

Maria: You are so not gonna believe the crazy dreams I had last night – I’m not sure if they were dreams or nightmares.

Liz (smiling): What, did Michael try and give you things.

Maria (hitting Liz): Oh my god! You had the same dream? Do you think they were playing some sort of evil alien trick on us?

Liz (laughing): Maria…it was just a lucky guess – these days all you dream about is Michael.

Maria (hitting her on the arm): Shut up! I’m telling you it was really weird…Max was there too.

Liz: Max?

Maria: Yea, Max and Michael both came in asking me to give them my apron – that alone qualifies for bizarre – but then Michael came back and was like giving me things.

Liz (trying to contain her laughter): Things?

Maria: Yea, like some pencils – what’s that about – and I think he tried to give me Max’s watch. (Maria looks over at Liz who is failing miserably at containing her laughter) Fine, I’m done talking to you…

(The door to the Crashdown opens and Max, Michael, and Isabel walk in and sit down at their usual table. Liz doesn’t see them but Maria does, and she also notices the major staring that Max is giving Liz)

Maria: Max Evans, with major “love-crumbs” at eleven o’clock.

Liz: What? (She looks up from what she’s doing and over at Max. She smiles and they just gaze at each other for what seems like forever)

Maria (looking between Max and Liz): Okay have I missed something?

Liz (breaking her gaze from Max): Let’s just say that Max and I are starting over (she looks back at Max) for good.

Maria: Oh, I think I’m gonna gag…(Maria just turns and walks away and Liz goes up to the table)

Liz: The usual? (Everybody at the table nods. Michael glances over at Maria and then excuses himself from the table and walks over toward her. Isabel follows his lead and heads for the bathroom. Liz sits down across from Max.)

Michael: Hey.

Maria (looking up from what she is doing): You’re not gone like ask me for my apron are you…or try and give me pencils?

Michael (smiling): No.

Maria: Good – cause I don’t need anymore Twilight Zone moments.

Michael (fumbling): I just wanted…uh…to see how you’re doing.

Maria (looking around the café suspiciously): Okay now I’m officially in the Twilight Zone.

Michael (getting frustrated): Look, this isn’t easy okay.

Maria: What?

Michael (hesitating and obviously uncomfortable): Do you want to…maybe…do something tonight?

Maria: Are you sure you don’t just want my apron?

Michael (frustrated and giving up): Fine. (He turns to walk back to the table.)

Maria: Wait. (He stops) I have to close tonight…you know, if you wanted to stop by around 10.

Michael (smiles at her): I’ll be here. (He leaves)

Maria (perplexed): What just happened here.

(Meanwhile. Max and Liz are sitting opposite each other in the booth holding hands across the tabletop. Alex walks in and sees Liz)

Alex: I have to tell you about my dream…(He stops and takes a double take of Liz and Max holding hands) Max. Liz. (He looks up and sees Isabel walking toward the table. He immediately blushes from the dream he had and looks back at Liz) I think I’ll go tell Maria...(He walks past Isabel over toward Maria but Isabel takes a step and grabs his arm)

Isabel: Alex.

Alex (turning to see her and pointing to his chest): Me?

Isabel (smiling): Do you see any other Alex’s in here?

Alex: Could be an imaginary friend…

Isabel (hesitant and not so confident): Listen, I just wanted to see if you weren’t…doing anything tonight.

Alex (pausing and looking around suspiciously): Am I on Candid Camera?

Isabel (smiling at him): There’s a new documentary on Ella Fitzgerald playing…I thought you might like…to go.

Alex (pointing between them as he says it): Me and you?

Isabel: Yea…you and me, some popcorn and Ella.

Alex: And this would be a…

Isabel (frustrated): A date. Okay…do you want to go on a date with me or not Alex Whitman?

Alex: Yes, but if I’m dreaming and I wake up before we get to the movie I’m seriously going to be pissed. (He shakes his head and leaves the Crashdown.)

Liz (leaning over the table to Max): So what are you doing tonight?

Max: You mean, other than spending it with you?

Liz (smiling): Yea.

Max: Nothing.

--------------

Here’s the two poems for any of you who were curious:

I carry your heart with me(I carry it in my heart)I am never without it(anywhere I go you go,my dear;and whatever is done by only me is your doing,my darling)
I fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)I want no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

I carry your heart(I carry it in my heart)

e. e. cummings

I like my body when it is with your body. It is so quite new a thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
I like your body. I like what it does,
I like its hows. I like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones,and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which I will
again and again and again
kiss, I like kissing this and that of you,
I like,slowly stroking the,shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it-comes
over parting flesh….And eyes big love-crumbs,

and possibly I like the thrill

of under me you so quite new

e. e. cummings

(note: every “I” should be in lowercase, I would attempt to challenge my computer’s formatting but it would just get ugly…and my own commentary here: I think “eyes big love-crumbs” is the perfect description for the looks they give each other on the show…could just be me.)

Email Author | Back to FanFic Page
Max - Liz
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.