FanFic - Max/Liz
"The Walls Come Crumbling Down"
Part 4
by FordonBuffy44
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the writers, producers or cast of Roswell. I only wish I did.
Summary: Secrets and emotions are revealed as Max and Liz give in to their feelings for each other.
Category: Max/Liz
Rating: PG-13
Authors Note: This is the follow up to my first story Not So Secret Admirer and the sequel to that Get in the Game. Reading them before this would probably be wise. Feedback Please!
The bell signalling first period rang and as all the students scurried to their appropriate classes, Liz stayed planted in front of Max's locker. He always came to his locker before school. He was never late. The clock continued to tick and Liz stood with her feet rooted to the spot. She had to talk to Max. She'd gotten no sleep last night. The images she'd seen had been real. It hadn't been her imagination - she was positive it couldn't have been. But she could come up with no explanation for them. Had Max seen them too? Was that why he wasn't in school? Why he had fled from the Crashdown last night? Almost all the images, all the visions she'd seen had been of him. Him looking at her - longing for her. And then Liz's mind drifted back to the kiss.

The most passionate, incredible kiss she'd ever experienced. She wanted to talk to him about that too. Kisses like that just didn't come along everyday. Guys just didn't appear to you in the middle of the night and kiss you out of the blue. Kiss you like that.

"Liz!" Maria suddenly came slapping down the hall in a pair of noisey sandals, "what're you doing? I thought I saw you in school, Mrs. Tripp's flipping 'cos you're late." Liz gave one last look to Max's locker and followed Maria down the hall to homeroom.

She hadn't expected to see Max in school, Maria hadn't seen him, neither had Alex and she hadn't caught him on his way out of P.E like she normally did. So when she saw him sitting at their lab table as she walked into the biology room she was more than caught off guard.

"Oh...you're here," she mumbled awkwardly as she sat down next to him. Max just nodded his head slightly, avoiding her face and Liz began to take out her notes. Neither said anything and she reached into her bookbag, pretending to be looking for something. " 'cos I was looking for you," she finally said. "I mean - to talk about last night..." Max picked his head up suddenly. He didn't know what to do. Half of him wanted to talk about the kiss. The amazing kiss that had finally come between he and Liz Parker. Then part of him wanted to stay away from the issue - from the visions he'd had, the visions he knew she had. He couldn't help himself as his head turned to face Liz and his mind suddenly blanked out. Like it had last night when he'd walked into the Crashdown.

"I..." was all he could manage to say, but Liz spoke before he could.

"This is gonna sound really..weird, Max - please don't think I'm crazy," Liz looked down at her lab book.

"What?" Max asked softly, his eyes not shifting from his focus on her.

"I saw things," Liz suddenly said and Max's eyes blazed with fear like they had last night. He quickly turned his head the other way and straightened up in his chair. "You saw them too!" Liz said - almost excitedly and Max seemed surprised at the way she said it. "I - I don't know what a lot of them were but...most of them were of you," she said quietly.

"What else did you see?" Max asked with a sense of desperation in his voice as he stared intently at her. "Besides me, what else did you see?"

"I don't - "

"Liz what did you see?" Max asked urgently.

"I...I'm not sure -"

"You had to have seen something," Max interrogated.

"I don't...I don't remember," Liz faltered and she couldn't help the tremble that had developed in her lip.

"I need to know what you saw!" Max yelled and he caught himself too late. Liz looked at him, a hurt look in her eyes. Shocked, confused and hurt.

"Max what's going on?" she asked meekly, "I don't...know what I saw," she knew that her eyes were welling up with tears and she was fighting desperately to hold them back. She couldn't help it. She'd never seen Max like this and she couldn't understand why he was acting this way. This morning she had wanted to talk to him about the kiss, not the visions. She could have dealt with the visions later, but now she was terrified by them. Terrified at the way Max was behaving because of them. "Max..." she nearly whispered as the panicked look remained in his eyes. He looked around the room franticly. Ms. Hardy hadn't come in yet and he quickly shoved his books into his bookbag and grabbing Liz's hand, dragged her out of the room. The class looked at the two peculiarly. They knew *something* was going on with Max Evans and Liz Parker. Something more than a friendship, but somehow less than anything further.

"Oh - oh eraser room!" one of them called mockingly, while the rest just cat-called. Max ignored them all as he ran down the hallway with Liz hand in hand.

"Max - what're you doing?" Liz asked breathlessly and he stopped in his tracks.

"We need to go someplace," he stated urgently, "someplace private.." Liz had no idea what Max was planning on doing, or what any of this meant but she picked her head up and looked to the eraser room. The popular make-out spot of all West Roswell students. Admittedly, as she lay in bed last night it was where she had hoped she would be with Max today. But not under these circumstances. Max looked up at the door too. "More private."

Still leading Liz by the hand, Max finally stopped behind the bleachers in the back of the school. He had been surprised by Liz's cooperation. She'd asked questions sure, but as he dragged her outside of the school and around to the back she hadn't objected.

"Max, what is this about??" she spoke first as she stared up at him, not releasing her hand from his. Max looked up at her.

"I need to know what else you saw," he said gently, nearly whispering it to her. The panic and fear had left his eyes, now they looked desperately afraid. They no longer had the urgency and desperation in them. The big brown pools that Liz gazed into now looked terrified and fearful. Fearful of her. Of the words that might come out of her mouth. She was tempted to ask him again why it was all so important, but at that moment all she wanted to do was make that fear escape from his eyes. He looked so terrified. It was that that was scaring her.

"I just saw - I didn't, I mean -" she stumbled over the words and Max's hand suddenly left hers. He tenderly cupped her face in both his hands and Liz felt a chill go through her at his touch.

"Liz please," he whispered staring intently at her, "I just...have to know." And there was something in the last words to come out of his mouth that almost made Liz collapse into his arms right there and cry. It wasn't an order. Now it was a plea. "I saw this...V of stars in the sky," she uttered quietly and Max's worst fears began to enter his mind. "I saw these symbols. I don't know what they were - they were like a...foreign language" her voice cracked. "I saw...like I was inside of a plane or something, crashing to the ground."

"Where in the ground?" Max asked in a detached matter. Almost mechanical, like his mind wasn't connected to his mouth. Max felt like he was in some sort of a weird and horribly twisted dream.

"The desert," Liz answered honestly and Max suddenly dropped his hands from her face. He began to back away quickly, like he had last night. "And I saw you, Max," she cried out to him, but he had already begun sprinting away. Away from her. "I saw you," she repeated but he was gone.

Liz walked listlessely through the front entrance of the school and into the hallway. She'd begun to chase after Max but realized her efforts were futile as he'd quickly disappeared around the corner and out of sight. So she'd just wandered aimlessly around the school grounds for the majority of fifth period.

"Hey Liz!" Maria called happily from down the hall as she munched on a bag of skittles, the complete antithesis to Liz's mood. "So how's footsie been going?" Liz didn't respond and she just dragged her feet along the ground. "Liz!" Maria shouted and Liz shook her head, staring up at her friend.

"What?"

"Max..." Maria stated, in a state of disbelief as to how her friend could forget, "did you talk to him today?" and it suddenly occurred to Liz that Maria didn't know anything that had happened between her and Max in the last twelve hours. Maria would die right there if Liz were to tell her that Max came to see her in the middle of the night. What he'd done. "Wait - don't you have bio this period?" Maria scratched her head "you and Max - and I just saw him -"

"Where?" Liz suddenly asked, showing signs of life. Maria looked at her friend curiously.

"In the math hallway - Liz, what's up...why?"

"I um - I have to go," Liz suddenly began to jog away.

"Liz - what's going on?" Maria asked again as Liz ran off down the hall, leaving Maria like Max had left her.

"So there's this rumor going around that Liz met Max in the eraser room fourth period," Maria blabbered to Alex as they sat at the lunch table together. Alex had his head imbedded in an Economics textbook and he just nodded his head in repsonse to Maria. "Why would she lie to me? I saw her fifth, I mean if she met him the period before she'd tell me -"

"I'm still a little lost here," Alex picked his head up from the pages, "-are Liz and Max like a thing now" he inquired. "I thought they were just friends."

"And I saw her fourth too - she was all weird. I mean she cut fourth period either way and that's not like her at all." Maria ignored Alex's question, too buried in her own problems.

"So her and Max -"

"And you should have seen her Alex - her eyes were like - all glazed you know," Maria dramatized, "like she was in the hospital with Grandma Claudia."

"Look Maria - I'm sure it's nothing...I mean Liz would tell you if something happened. She's told you everything that's happened between her and Max, why would she keep this a secret? I just want to know if she and Max are-"

"And why isn't she having lunch with us?"

"So are they?" Alex pestered.

"Are they what?" Maria finally responded to his question.

"Liz and Max...are they - you know -"

"They're not together, Alex - it took the boy three years to actually talk to her - the day Max Evans makes a move on Liz..." Maria's voice drifted and she just rolled her eyes and stared at him. "Is the day you go out with Isabel."

Liz couldn't concentrate in any of her other classes. During Spanish all she could think of was the way Max had looked at her, the way he'd fled. Then back to the way he'd touched her. A way she'd never been touched before. She'd been walking down the hallway to her U.S government class and seen him and he'd glanced at her quickly and made a beeline for the bathroom. He hadn't been in English and then when she walked into math he'd barely looked up at her. She'd stepped in uncharacteristically late and hadn't gotten time to talk to him. He stared up at the blackboard, but he knew she was looking back at him. And when she focused her eyes on the board he would turn his eyes to her. When the bell had rung she'd called to him and pushed past her classmates. "Max!" she yelled, but he shoved his way out the door and when she was in the hallway he was nowhere to be seen.

There was only one more class period left in the day and Liz hadn't spoken to Max since fourth period behind the bleachers. She'd searched frantically for him and was ready to resort to tracking him down and dragging him out of basketball practice when she saw him down at the other end of the hall. He had just turned the corner and his eyes met with hers for an instant before he turned back around quickly and jogged away.

"Max!" she yelled, barreling past other students. They looked at her queerly, some snickered and pointed. "Max, Max!" she continued to yell and as she turned around the corner she saw him jogging away. "Max wait, please," Liz pleaded and Max found himself unable to run away from her. He stopped and slowly turned around to face her. "Why are you running away from me?" she asked and Max could sense the hurt in her voice, "Why have you been avoiding me all day? What were those visions, Max...help me out here, I'm just as scared as you."

"I don't know," Max said honestly and he looked up at her. She wanted to know more, she needed to know. And he couldn't go around avoiding her like this forever. The past four and a half hours had been absolute agony. Seeing Liz in the hall and running away from her. After hearing her last desperate plea to him, he knew he couldn't avoid her anymore. He couldn't lie to her. "I don't know what they were.." he whispered, "it's never happened to me before."

"I mean...but you saw...you saw flashes of me?" Liz asked a bit self-conciously and Max just nodded his head slowly. Suddenly he reached over and took her hand in his.

"Let's go somewhere," he began to walk towards the exit.

"Yeah, but Max - school isn't over," Liz began to protest, but she instinctively followed Max. As if ninth period was actually going to stop her.

Part 3 | Index | Part 5
Max/Liz | Michael/Maria | Alex/Isabel | UC Couples | Valenti | Other | Poetry | Crossovers | AfterHours
Crashdown is maintained by and . Design by Goldenboy.
Copyright © 1999-2004 Web Media Entertainment.
No infringement intended.